• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about freedom but Coco strikes me as someone that would not give a fuck about what anyone thinks, the dragon's got balls.

I mean Coco is still being harassed by CCP loyalists for daring to show taiwan in her youtube analytics lol.
That offhanded mention of the word Taiwan to refer to a country apparently led to the destruction of Hololive CN, so I don't think they feel very free to say what they want with regard to any kind of potentially political or controversial subjects.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
But that kinda just applies to business worldwide when it comes to dealing business in China. Even BTS felt the effects of it.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
That offhanded mention of the word Taiwan to refer to a country apparently led to the destruction of Hololive CN, so I don't think they feel very free to say what they want with regard to any kind of potentially political or controversial subjects.
Well yeah, and I doubt management would let them. I'm just talking hypothetically, it's fun to think about.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
They were working on getting permissions right from the get go, Cover waited until it was literally too late.

Not really, they got Nintendo strike before Cover does (end of last year IIRC) hence why they settle it earlier.

Generally speaking, Niji workaround simply does non monetized stream of the game. the super chat later as chat stream. This one still a risk of DCMA thought.

I hear this a lot and I know it does happen for normal idol groups, but has this happened to a vtuber for just streaming with a guy? Like did Matsuri get heat for that stream with Roberu where Matsuri asks him to be her Onii-chan?

I want to say that streaming with a guy as a collab doesn't really generate heat compared to getting outed for having a boyfriend, though I definitely wouldn't put it past the crazy part of the fanbase as both scenarios are nonissues.

Only exception that ti can think of if the said guys are musician/singer. Like how Mori doesn't have a problem having Kokorobeat in her stream but Huke in Minecraft does. If Kiara invite Huke for art collab stream. Probably won't generate much heat

Because th-

Yeah, what they said. Just don't get the sense that they're particularly interested in (or need to make) any sort of EN outreach. They have gotten back to posting translated Puchisanji and other clips on their official EN subchannel at a regular pace though (mostly through contributions from the community):

www.youtube.com

NIJISANJI English Official

Welcome to NIJISANJI’s official English YouTube channel made specially for fans of NIJISANJI all over the world. Find the best of your favourite NIJISANJI VT...

Although I don't think Cover really started their EN cultivation seriously until they took charge of the subreddit in April, but then the question is how did Hololive get so popular and attract more attention in the English fanbase compared to Nijisanji before then? Obviously nowadays the massive fanbase means that things like Korone memes can get a springboard to go viral extremely quickly, but what was driving it at the start of the year?

TBH, Niji doesn't have a particular individual that has the same level of "meme" as Fubuki, Korone, and Pekora. Basically, those who transcended the language barrier. The closest you get probably Lulu with her "normal art student" glare or Gibara's degeneracy.

Do any of the vtubers we talk about in this thread have the courage or creative freedom to even take a shot at flat earth or astrology, let alone the US elections?

Does Mio fortune-telling with tarot card count? Personally, I doubt any of EN will talk about politic since they under JP company. At most, they probably ask American to vote.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Only exception that ti can think of if the said guys are musician/singer. Like how Mori doesn't have a problem having Kokorobeat in her stream but Huke in Minecraft does. If Kiara invite Huke for art collab stream. Probably won't generate much heat

Kiara was also an actual idol "idol", so she's probably more sensitive to that stuff. Mori most likely wouldn't really give a shit in comparison.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
TBF how many streamers deal with political stuff other than to show their own ass in being a racist/sexist/generally shitty person lol.

It's not like they set out to be political commentators.

Oct 25, 2017
The closest someone gotten political was during ame's stream of that convenience store game when she was complaining that she should get a wage increase xD

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
TBF how many streamers deal with political stuff other than to show their own ass in being a racist/sexist/generally shitty person lol.

It's not like they set out to be political commentators.
I don't have a study with percentages on hand here, but I do watch some streamers who don't actively avoid saying literally anything that could legitimately offend someone. Carlsagan42, who's a very popular Mario Maker streamer and biologist, does talk once in a while about disease, anti-vax, issues with the education system and American health care, etc. Zero, though now naught but a smoldering crater after the Smash community scandals, had just before that talked about his experience dealing with US border agents. Though his style of content kind of annoys me, Markiplier has made short, serious videos on George Floyd and gun control. I've often seen other streamers at the absolute least say "trans rights". None of these people set out to be political commentators, it's just that sometimes they have something serious weighing on their mind, they're free to say it, and they have the courage to say it despite it turning off some of their audience.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully, but hololiveEN is pretty new so we don't really what the policy is for them.

You can look up their past lives to get a gauge I guess.

But for hololiveJP, from what I know generally the younger population of Japan is adamantly apathetic to politics over there, like it's generally not something you being up in a social group. So who knows.

Gotsh0cks

Sep 28, 2020
Something I'm legit curious about with this indie vtuber surge is if we'll see more people try and keep their personas (a la Suisei) if they try and join Hololive or Nijisanji in the upcoming generations. I don't know of any cases of this besides Suisei and I know she fought hard to keep that persona.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
Something I'm legit curious about with this indie vtuber surge is if we'll see more people try and keep their personas (a la Suisei) if they try and join Hololive or Nijisanji in the upcoming generations. I don't know of any cases of this besides Suisei and I know she fought hard to keep that persona.
I would imagine most people would follow the Ame route. In her case her old persona wasn't as guarded in regards to her personal life since you don't have to be as careful with a smaller audience. So my guess is most people would rather just cut bait since they'd be dealing with a fan base orders of magnitude larger than what they're used to so might as well take the clean break and bring as little attention to your old self as possible.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Amelia when referencing what she would want for an offline HoloEN collab: "I want them to beat the shit out of me. I think it would be funny."

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
I have to imagine their contracts specify not taking sides in politics if they can help it.
As far as I remember after the Taiwan incident Hololive stated that their talents have no political intent in what they're doing or something along those lines, so I would assume they are not allowed to speak about political things. But then again, Coco played Mr. President and she definitely knew what this game was about.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I remember after the Taiwan incident Hololive stated that their talents have no political intent in what they're doing or something along those lines, so I would assume they are not allowed to speak about political things. But then again, Coco played Mr. President and she definitely knew what this game was about.

Coco is such a rebel.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, chat was pretty confused on that one lmao. Just said she wanted to get beat up cause it would be funny and followed it up with that quote. Amelia the masochist

Gotsh0cks

Sep 28, 2020
Yeah, chat was pretty confused on that one lmao. Just said she wanted to get beat up cause it would be funny and followed it up with that quote. Amelia the masochist

Immediately followed by "I'm not an M, I'm a switch. Like a Nintendo Switch". Ame sus.

For anyone interested, Korone's 1m special is starting now.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i watched the ina gesture drawing vod. Fun. Might make it a regular event

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder how long before we are doing online dating through live 2d personas... if thats not a thing already? Haven't really dated much in a decade. i dont know what the ppl are into these days, except my annoying friends keep sending me weird referral links to w/e the newest startup dating app

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
i wonder how long before we are doing online dating through live 2d personas... if thats not a thing already? Haven't really dated much in a decade. i dont know what the ppl are into these days, except my annoying friends keep sending me weird referral links to w/e the newest startup dating app

Pretty sure people date through VR Chat already. Which is...essentially the same.

Now I'm imaging "Her" if the AI had a vtuber persona.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
listening to korone just list subscribers and occasionally say 'love you forever' and 'thank you' is doing something to my brain

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
thanks!
korone has started rapping the shoutouts sometimes and it's really throwing me off lol

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Also seeing the statement from the uploader here (I can't really verify if it's bullshit or not) I think it's fine to share this here?

XWQOpdm.png

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I suppose memeability is what's required these days to start the ball rolling on gaining a fanbase among the EN community... attracting further viewership with actual talent comes afterwards.

I'd say that you need both. There's a lot of really good streamers nowadays, even if you only count vtubers. Just like in many other fields of "entertainment", being good alone won't guarantee success. You need to be able to bring your stuff to audiences.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not really, they got Nintendo strike before Cover does (end of last year IIRC) hence why they settle it earlier.

That's surprising to hear, I didn't know that. It seems pretty baffling to me then that Cover didn't take that as a hint to change their streaming rules before the sky fell under their heads... poor Mio.

Refrain

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Rushia found cute Rabbit.
Tried bringing it home.
Rabbit died.
Rushia screamed.

Edit: Rushia found another rabbit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.