• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Point taken. Having a single storefront that is worsening by the day is a markedly better thing.

Yikes, that's the opposite of what I'm saying.

I can't believe Steam users let Valve charge them for online after GOG went bankrupt. It's a good thing for me that console moneyhatting has protected me from these anti-consumer excesses.

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, that's the opposite of what I'm saying.

I can't believe Steam users let Valve charge them for online after GOG went bankrupt. It's a good thing for me that console moneyhatting has protected me from these anti-consumer excesses.

What are you talking about lol

Like, I get what you're going for, it's just very silly. The point is that people seem a lot more bothered by a mild inconvenience than they do about having to buy other consoles. As it is, a storefront that can compete with Steam is what will help prevent stagnation. Because Valve has no excuse not to have a system that can't even filter out "Kill the Faggots."

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
Because an actual threat in their market space should, in theory, mobilize Steam into actively improving instead of passively coasting on their market dominance. This in turn would be better for everyone, developers and consumers. That's the theory anyway, and you can disagree with it, but there's nothing really "vague" about it.

That's pretty damn vague and doesn't really say anything which would lead to a better service for consumers not to mention that Valve has been steadily building up Steam over the years (puns) through services like workshop, the controller api, and steam proton which has made a big impact on how people approach development in the pc space.

Epic however seems content with undercutting themselves at the cost of improving the end experience while providing barebones support for developers outside of tossing money around.

7thFloor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
U.S.

Like, I get what you're going for, it's just very silly. The point is that people seem a lot more bothered by a mild inconvenience than they do about having to buy other consoles. As it is, a storefront that can compete with Steam is what will help prevent stagnation. Because Valve has no excuse not to have a system that can't even filter out "Kill the Faggots."
Exclusives did not exist on PC and now suddenly they do, and on a shitty platform that is essentially featureless. So the reaction is a matter of principle, we don't want this dumb console war exclusivity bullshit shoved in our faces, while epic steals our info everytime we boot their launcher.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017

My point is that "But consoles do it and nobody complains!" is a ludicrous argument. The trainwreck that is the modern console market, where consumers just get fucked worse every generation, is exactly why PC gamers are looking at Epic moneyhatting and getting nervous.

Moneyhatted "competition" doesn't prevent stagnation. A company isn't going to turn down $5 million from Epic because Valve got rid of "Kill Faggots" (which they should have, that's not really excusable). Valve is also not going to more actively make sure games called "Kill Faggots" stay off of Steam because Epic moneyhatted Obsidian. The two are completely unrelated. The only thing that competes with moneyhatting is more moneyhatting.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
It's terrible that in 2019, indie devs are convinced their games bombed because of some algorithm and not because their game was just not appealing at all.
or even more importantly, marketing. lots of indies seem to think people will magically just find their way to their game without any serious effort to reach out to consumers.

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that "But consoles do it and nobody complains!" is a ludicrous argument. The trainwreck that is the modern console market, where consumers just get fucked worse every generation, is exactly why PC gamers are looking at Epic moneyhatting and getting nervous.

Moneyhatted "competition" doesn't prevent stagnation. A company isn't going to turn down $5 million from Epic because Valve got rid of "Kill Faggots" (which they should have, that's not really excusable). Valve is also not going to more actively make sure games called "Kill Faggots" stay off of Steam because Epic moneyhatted Obsidian. The two are completely unrelated. The only thing that competes with moneyhatting is more moneyhatting.

If there is a serious risk for Valve that people will migrate away from Steam, then it will have to do more than just moneyhat to pull people away from that. After all, Epic having exclusive titles is just one reason a person may want to try something besides Steam.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's just another launcher to download. You'll play the same exact game. Why is it a big deal?

Deleted member 47092

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Choose a better example next time or better yet educate yourself before jumping into a conversation and looking like trump. Just friendly advice I doubt you'll take.

First of all, that's fucking hilarious, you sound like a very, very stable genius

Secondly, Amazon for games was an inferior service compared to the other game shops here - Game and Shopto would routinely ship games early, shopto would have competitive/if not cheaper pricing.

I apologise to you and Amazong and Steam.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Rami is entirely correct and the dependency of the entire PC market on one store front is very bad for many, many developers (see: The indie devs Rami spoke of).

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
1. Issues with transphobia directly from the company
2. Lack of curation leading to broken games and offensive games
3. A vow to allow any game that isn't illegal or trolling

Those are perfectly valid reasons to avoid Valve.
My bad, I thought you meant reasons to use the Epic Games Store, not to avoid Valve. Sorry for misreading!

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
"Competition" is well and good, but the EGS can't compete on its own merits because Epic launched a half-assed product, so now they're handing out moneyhats instead of putting those resources to use in improving their Store. That's the main issue I have with the situation. My game library is divided between Steam, Battle.net, and a couple of other digital storefronts and I'm generally okay with that.

7thFloor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
It's no problem. I don't even use EGS, I just think EGS is good in terms of giving people opportunities if they want to avoid Valve.
That really isn't the issue, anybody can use EGS (or any other storefront for that matter) exclusively if they want, Epic is trying to take away the choice.
If you mean that Epic is offering developers an opportunity to avoid Valve for the reasons you've listed and their large profit margin then sure.

Last edited:

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
It's not worse. How it's organized alone is better than the mess that is Steam store.

Stuff Steam has that other competitors don't (at least, not all of them at once):

Universal refunds, no questions asked. Origin only offers refunds on EA games, and only within 24 hours of launching the game. GOG only offers refunds for technical issues (which doesn't include things like your PC not being able to run it well, so you're SOL if you're just getting shitty performance) and requires you to do extensive troubleshooting with their tech support before they'll cough up the money.
- Much more expansive library because of no arbitrary rejection. If you search a game you can probably find it.
- Built-in mod support. The GOG version of games like Clustertruck often lack level editors and mods because of no equivalent to the Steam Workshop.
- Steam Controller support (you have to add Origin games to Steam to use the controller, which is an incredibly convoluted process because EA doesn't want you running games on Steam)
- Linux and Mac support
- Early Access
- Updates download in the background
- Vastly superior community features
- Big Picture Mode
- Family Sharing

Epic doesn't even have reviews lmao. Have they added a search function yet?

Q: I don't care about that stuff so it doesn't count!

A: congrats

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really see how EGS will help indies. There will be lots of Opus Magnum/GOG situations. Even EGS has a limited space for recommendations and they will be filling it with moneyhatted and their own games. Can't see something like a NEO Scavenger or, in case of Vlambeer, Super Crate Box taking off on EGS or being sold at all.

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had lots of respect for the guy, but man, what an ass. Buying exclusivity is NOT the way.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stuff Steam has that other competitors don't (at least, not all of them at once):

Universal refunds, no questions asked. Origin only offers refunds on EA games, and only within 24 hours of launching the game. GOG only offers refunds for technical issues (which doesn't include things like your PC not being able to run it well, so you're SOL if you're just getting shitty performance) and requires you to do extensive troubleshooting with their tech support before they'll cough up the money.
- Much more expansive library because of no arbitrary rejection. If you search a game you can probably find it.
- Built-in mod support. The GOG version of games like Clustertruck often lack level editors and mods because of no equivalent to the Steam Workshop.
- Steam Controller support (you have to add Origin games to Steam to use the controller, which is an incredibly convoluted process because EA doesn't want you running games on Steam)
- Linux and Mac support
- Early Access
- Updates download in the background
- Vastly superior community features
- Big Picture Mode
- Family Sharing

Epic doesn't even have reviews lmao. Have they added a search function yet?

Q: I don't care about that stuff so it doesn't count!

A: congrats

They just launched and what's more important right now is games and that's the focus.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
He's right in terms of Valve's rhetoric.

Valve can't say some things are just data driven, objective decisions that they make when they perceive advantage in it for them and then use moral arguments about fairness when someone else does something to disadvantage them. It's having your cake and eating it too.

If Valve want to come at it from the perspective of buying exclusives is bad because it's not producing good outcomes for the consumer that would be a much better argument.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It is literally the only reason right now.

For me the bloody store front UI and snappy-ness is one, since Steam, for some reason, has always been a buggy mess for me where I sometime need to go some hops to just start it.

Two functions for me that I miss:

- Community (which they have said they wont do I guess)
- Reviews (which is OPt in IIRC, which I would like them to make mandatory)

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see how EGS will help indies. There will be lots of Opus Magnum/GOG situations. Even EGS has a limited space for recommendations and they will be filling it with moneyhatted and their own games. Can't see something like a NEO Scavenger or, in case of Vlambeer, Super Crate Box taking off on EGS or being sold at all.

I'm sure Vlambeer games will be featured just fine. They've got an in. The question is, what about the next Vlambeer, the next generation of developers, new and unproven games? At some point, many of these studios now on EGS did not have any realistic and affordable publishing avenues until Steam went the way of self-publishing. Would To The Moon have gotten on EGS if released today, for example? Would Tick Tock Isle, Reveal The Deep? It's easier to dump on self-publishing and praise curation when you're on people's radar already. The idea that EGS won't feature "crappy games" is worrisome and really puts a(nother) big asterisk on the idea of it being the store for developers.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They just launched and what's more important right now is games and that's the focus.
So what happens in a year or two when they don't have comparable features and the exclusive games are not exclusive? There's no reason to use the epic store now and there will be no reason to in a year especially once these moneyhatted games deals are done. I bet we will see Epic complaining how nobody uses their store for anything other than fortnite microtransactions.

It's no problem. I don't even use EGS, I just think EGS is good in terms of giving people opportunities if they want to avoid Valve.
by offering a worst experience?

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
And Rami is correct as usual, I'm glad that we have people like him in the industry that don't just say what Gamers want to hear. And he does this continuously, from his points on inclusitivity to this here. Fight on, Rami. Your design talks were great, even if your games aren't my cup of tea :(

It's wild that it is ~anti-consumer~ to not be 100% pro Steam, when it's not epic that's anti-consumer-like-me. The one that is is...Steam, on a very consistent basis. Well, and Gog, but those I cut out, too.

That said, use itch over Epic if you can.

"Why don't you want to use worse software instead of better software?"

"Why do you want to support people that promote gaybashing dictators, rape lovers and homophobes?"

A puzzle.

The miniscule improvements a launcher has mean little for me, when one platform has hate groups gaming the system to punish devs of games with queer/poc content, when the platform pushes rape sims, gaybashing sims, or outright propaganda games for southamerican (and, of course, gaybashing) dictators.
And when rape sims have an easier time being featured on steam than queer ones. Kinda weird, that.

Easy to fix, mind. Steam could kick user Reviews out, as they started consider doing, and they could maybe apply the standards they apply to queer games also to nazi and rape games. This is really asking for the absolute minimum standards of basic decency, it's not exactly *much*.

Note I didn't ask to apply common sense moderation to the userbase (which would get half the userbase banned from the forums for hate speech) or anything *drastic* like, I don't know, removing reviews filled with hate speech or blatant lies.
Surely, "Okay, maybe let's not have the rape game and the game where Bolsonero kills gays and minorities" aren't impossibly high standards to ask for ;) They're very tiny steps.

Really: If your platform has "we only remove games that don't work or are trolling", isn't it very telling that a rape glorification game is somehow not considered "trolling" towards women immediately?

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
How about the incongruity of "getting lost in the algorithm" being solved by... 99.9% of developers not being able to get on the store at all.

Or how juvenile it is to say you got "out-businessed" when a company just buys a bunch exclusives. Yeah, that's some intense business acumen...

If Epic actually provided a store for all devs (as opposed to ones who are already well known and successful), with a better system wherein all "good" games are simultaneously visible and magically sell well, I'd happily give them credit for it. Hell, if they did all this while matching (or at least approaching) Steam's numerous features and giving devs a better cut, I'd be actively cheering them on!

That, unfortunately, is not the case.
None of that is lies, unfortunately.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I used to think Era was console centric, but this has been the hottest discussion topic for months, so I don't know what lead me to believe that anymore.
One side wants to treat PC gaming like a Console War, the other is concerned that this platform will become centralized and walled up like those consoles.

The issue is that people are pretending that the lack of curation actually affects their Steam experience. It doesn't. You actively have to look for the crappy/offensive games and if you're doing that, you want to be offended. If you use Steam like an actual user, it will never show you said crappy/offensive games.
Though, homophobia is a killer and a store not seeking bigotry out or considered the possibility is a bad look.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
And Rami is correct as usual, I'm glad that we have people like him in the industry that don't just say what Gamers want to hear. And he does this continuously, from his points on inclusitivity to this here. Fight on, Rami. Your design talks were great, even if your games aren't my cup of tea :(

It's wild that it is ~anti-consumer~ to not be 100% pro Steam, when it's not epic that's anti-consumer-like-me. The one that is is...Steam, on a very consistent basis. Well, and Gog, but those I cut out, too.

That said, use itch over Epic if you can.

"Why do you want to support people that promote gaybashing dictators, rape lovers and homophobes?"

A puzzle.

The miniscule improvements a launcher has mean little for me, when one platform has hate groups gaming the system to punish devs of games with queer/poc content, when the platform pushes rape sims, gaybashing sims, or outright propaganda games for southamerican (and, of course, gaybashing) dictators.
And when rape sims have an easier time being featured on steam than queer ones. Kinda weird, that.

Easy to fix, mind. Steam could kick user Reviews out, as they started consider doing, and they could maybe apply the standards they apply to queer games also to nazi and rape games. This is really asking for the absolute minimum standards of basic decency, it's not exactly *much*.

Note I didn't ask to apply common sense moderation to the userbase (which would get half the userbase banned from the forums for hate speech) or anything *drastic* like, I don't know, removing reviews filled with hate speech or blatant lies.
Surely, "Okay, maybe let's not have the rape game and the game where Bolsonero kills gays and minorities" aren't impossibly high standards to ask for ;) They're very tiny steps.

Really: If your platform has "we only remove games that don't work or are trolling", isn't it very telling that a rape glorification game is somehow not considered "trolling" towards women immediately?

Just a question for you. How do you feel about Sweeney saying Alex Jones shouldn't have been deplatformed for freedom of speech or Shuhei Yoshida following him on Twitter ?

Oct 25, 2017
So what happens in a year or two when they don't have comparable features and the exclusive games are not exclusive? There's no reason to use the epic store now and there will be no reason to in a year especially once these moneyhatted games deals are done. I bet we will see Epic complaining how nobody uses their store for anything other than fortnite microtransactions.

by offering a worst experience?

By existing and working as an alternative.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Just a question for you. How do you feel about Sweeney saying Alex Jones shouldn't have been deplatformed for freedom of speech or Shuhei Yoshida following him on Twitter ?

I hate that idiotic point of his, posted that specific line myself before in this forum, and it has a reason I'm preferring the itch store.
It's an opinion many "liberals" have in this forum as well, that deplatforming somehow doesn't work or is bad, and it's a shitty opinion. I tend to argue against them then, too.

My "support" for EGS is relative, ie, I support them over steam and gog because they harm me personally more with who they support - and because EGS now has one strike against it, Gog three, and Steam like 15. Only counting social stuff, mind, not gaming stuff, since I personally don't really care for launcher features, I mean, I like itch, and that doesn't have any features. Which is a feature in itself, just like it was in the case of Gog before they melted down.-

Status
Not open for further replies.