Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I really can't get over that they handle Fietro this way. Do you want all the extra engagement and word of mouth from fan speculation, or not? Is anyone else excited for Falcon to start next week and to start a speculation train (where literally none of it is true and a large amount is intentional meta fuckery)? They've trained everyone to expect nothing and receive even less (boner jokes).

I'm not even salty about any theory not being true, I just don't want to engage with media this way.
Maybe we shouldn't be going into any Marvel media expecting a huge surprise like THE XMEN IS HERE.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'd forgotten how insufferable discussion around Marvel movies can be. Is it really that difficult for folks to just...enjoy something? lol.

Not everything needs to be explained to the last detail, it's okay to just use your imagination and shut off your brain for a little while.
Forums like ours tend to sap all the life out of popular properties. Only the niche stuff survives the endless, draining critique.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe we shouldn't be going into any Marvel media expecting a huge surprise like THE XMEN IS HERE.
That's definitely true; MCU shows aren't E3 conferences but some of the speculation definitely leaned that way lol

I never seriously thought any of these were plausible, except for Fietro being FOX Quicksilver, because there's no good story reason to cast Evan Peters otherwise (there are meta reasons, which is what ended up being true, but I didn't think they'd go for meta > story).

Like, my wife and kids didn't even know who Evan Peters was and I had to explain to them why this random guy showing up was treated as a big reveal. To the (I assume majority of) viewers that didn't know Peters played the same character in X-men, what were they supposed to get from that casting they couldn't have got from any other casting? The story setup with the "sutcom recasting trope" would have worked better with an actor that looked like ATJ. Peters is only there because Marvel wanted to drive engagement metrics, just to go lol boner joke at the end.

I didn't need Mephisto or Reed Richards or Mutants or even multiverse (the show already struggled to wrap up the threads it had). They just needed to not cast Evan Peters for this.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
There's stuff that might happen and there's stuff that if you think about you realize is very unlikely. And really, let's introduce something that can be a new tentpole film in the TV show about Wanda and Vision, it's really unlikely, both because, why would you do that, that's big movie stuff, and also, it instantly turns the series from the WandaVision show into that show where Mutants / Reed Richards / whatever got introduced.

And the funny thing is, they did introduce something that might turn into a proper big MCU movie, namely, Wanda and Vision.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Forums like ours tend to sap all the life out of popular properties. Only the niche stuff survives the endless, draining critique.

I mean, I get critique & questions, we all do it, it's just so overwhelmingly negative sometimes that I wonder if only a few people truly enjoyed this widely viewed TV show, haha.

I enjoyed it, and it was good to finally start off a new phase of The MCU.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I really can't get over that they handle Fietro this way. Do you want all the extra engagement and word of mouth from fan speculation, or not? Is anyone else excited for Falcon to start next week and to start a speculation train (where literally none of it is true and a large amount is intentional meta fuckery)? They've trained everyone to expect nothing and receive even less (boner jokes).

I'm not even salty about any theory not being true, I just don't want to engage with media this way.
The MCU speculation got so damn far ahead of itself with WandaVision. Like, literally by years based on Fiege's previous statements for introducing mutants. And I have to question the sanity of anybody who sincerely believed such a massive casting announcement as Reed Richards would have been kept secret until a random cameo in WandaVision. You know things have gone wildly wrong when the speculation and theory-crafting videos on Youtube are longer than the actual episodes.

I personally got a little caught up in researching theories and seeking out spoilers due to the weekly format and my thirst for MCU media after the nearly year-long movie hiatus. At times, I think I was concentrating more on getting these answers rather than just enjoying the show. I think I'm going to just sit back, enjoy the ride, and see how the stories Fiege and Co. want to tell play out. I don't think it's a great use of my attention trying to speculate what's going to happen within the MCU several movies and TV shows down the line.

Deleted member 19782

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have some questions...
  • What happened with Bee Keeper?
  • What happened with Mr. Scratches?
  • What happened and what was the Stork?

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get critique & questions, we all do it, it's just so overwhelmingly negative sometimes that I wonder if only a few people truly enjoyed this widely viewed TV show, haha.

I enjoyed it, and it was good to finally start off a new phase of The MCU.
Most people enjoyed the series and most people enjoyed the series finale. The hate is mostly here and even then it's mostly positive than negative. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018
Outside of letting Wanda off the hook for torturing a town full of people (which I would literally laugh out loud any time one of our outside squad characters would sympathize with her as they totally chickened out of holding her accountable at every turn), I was most disappointed with the SWORD storyline. Just felt shallow and overdone to have Hayward's motivations be "my coveted shiny expensive weapon!"

I think it would have been more impactful to give SWORD genuinely good intentions with them scrambling to replace the void of the Avengers that were lost in the past year with whatever they could—they had just lost Iron Man, Cap, and Black Widow, while War Machine also looks to be cashing retirement checks, and Thor and Captain Marvel are unreliable to show up when needed since they have other stuff going on.

So it would make sense that they'd want to bring Vision back if possible to help protect the planet, and then Monica's transformation can also have more impact as she's built up into a character that fills that role and has purpose rather than just randomly gaining energy powers(??? I don't know how her comic counterpart works).

And also would have made for a more interesting conflict if they had gone further with that paired against a Wanda who's the familiar fan favorite doing morally questionable things.

SonofDonCD

Oct 26, 2017
Loved WandaVision as a whole, but man I did not like how they resolved the Pietro storyline.
Although, I suppose it's still possible there's more to 'Fietro' than we know at this point, I really do hope that's the case.
Not to specifically call you out (you just happened to be the newest post of this kind), but I think we need to take the show at face value. The show did everything to try to tell you this isn't an X-Men/Multiverse thing past the initial reveal. The way Fietro talked to Wanda during the Halloween episode, Agatha specifically calling him Fietro and finally seeing that house bill/headshot that confirmed he was decidedly NOT Pietro Maximoff is as clear of an indication that the show was telling us "He's not FoX-Men Pietro/Peter" without sitting us down and explicitly yelling it at us. As I said, we should take it at face value. If the show said it, we should believe them.

I never believed the theory, to begin with. I always felt like a stunt cast to me. Sure, I left the possibility that it could be multiverse stuff. But then the show would become about way more than Wanda, and that goes against the edict of the show. Notice how in general the strongest material in the show was everything dealing with Wanda and Vision.

That, and I know that Kevin Feige and the Marvel team DON'T want to deal with the baggage of including all of the FoX-Men stories and interpretations of those characters when they do finally introduce mutants into the MCU. They will want a clean slate to do what they want to do. You only need to look at Spidey to see that. So I knew the whole Pietro thing in WandaVision was always going to be a ruse in the end.

When Wanda saw the dead versions of Vision and Fietro I wonder if that was her legitimately losing it or if that was another one of Agatha's tricks.

EDIT: Actually, thinking on it, Wanda saw zombie Quicksilver when "Fietro" was trying to prod Wanda into telling him how she made the Hex so that would have been counterproductive. So they are almost certainly just hallucinations by Wanda.
I interpreted those scenes to be Wanda's subconscious trying to snap her out of her denial.

In both cases, she is not dealing with the reality that Vision and Pietro are dead. Yeah, she resurrected Vision and somehow "a version" of her brother returned, but they are not real. Seeing the hole in Vision's head is that reminder that he was killed and this Vision isn't the real Vision. Seeing the bullet holes in Fietro is a reminder that he died and that this person in front of her is a fake that she chose to believe was real, just to continue the ruse of the hex. I think it's her subconscious screaming at Wanda "Wake up! Stop living in denial!", then she shakes it off to continue living the lie.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I have some questions...
  • What happened with Bee Keeper?
  • What happened with Mr. Scratches?
  • What happened and what was the Stork?
Two of those things are easy to infer....one less so.
Wanda Killed the Bee Keeper or he was assimilated and then released when the Hex dropped. A bit of a dangling story bit, but not germane to overall plot. He was mostly there as an early example of how Wanda was reshaping reality. And possibly to show how reckless Hayward was to get what he wanted.
Señor Scratchy is probably still in the house as Agnes's Pet Rabbit (or whatever house she ends up occupying off-screen). If/When Agnes reappears in the MCU, Scratch will likely be in-tow. Likely a familiar, or someone Agatha punished and turned into her pet.

The Stork is slightly more complicated. The fact that she couldn't magic it away could either imply she was losing control of her powers, OR it was the result of an outside influence. If it was just her loss of control due to pregnancy, fine, but seems like a waste. If it was someone else interfering in her Hex (especially considering the possible origin / fate of her sons), that will hopefully be answered in future series / movies.

Lemony1984

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 7, 2020
That's definitely true; MCU shows aren't E3 conferences but some of the speculation definitely leaned that way lol

I never seriously thought any of these were plausible, except for Fietro being FOX Quicksilver, because there's no good story reason to cast Evan Peters otherwise (there are meta reasons, which is what ended up being true, but I didn't think they'd go for meta > story).

Like, my wife and kids didn't even know who Evan Peters was and I had to explain to them why this random guy showing up was treated as a big reveal. To the (I assume majority of) viewers that didn't know Peters played the same character in X-men, what were they supposed to get from that casting they couldn't have got from any other casting? The story setup with the "sutcom recasting trope" would have worked better with an actor that looked like ATJ. Peters is only there because Marvel wanted to drive engagement metrics, just to go lol boner joke at the end.

I didn't need Mephisto or Reed Richards or Mutants or even multiverse (the show already struggled to wrap up the threads it had). They just needed to not cast Evan Peters for this.
It seems like they had to cut a lot out of the finale so maybe there was a better payoff planned origianlly. Or maybe that character is coming back in the future? I never thought he was Fox Quciksilver but the reveal at the end did fall flat, even with that.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
This Hot Toys figure gives a nice look at the costume (with an added cape. lol).

mBr2O7h.jpg

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Not to specifically call you out (you just happened to be the newest post of this kind), but I think we need to take the show at face value. The show did everything to try to tell you this isn't an X-Men/Multiverse thing past the initial reveal. The way Fietro talked to Wanda during the Halloween episode, Agatha specifically calling him Fietro and finally seeing that house bill/headshot that confirmed he was decidedly NOT Pietro Maximoff is as clear of an indication that the show was telling us "He's not FoX-Men Pietro/Peter" without sitting us down and explicitly yelling it at us. As I said, we should take it at face value. If the show said it, we should believe them.

I never believed the theory, to begin with. I always felt like a stunt cast to me. Sure, I left the possibility that it could be multiverse stuff. But then the show would become about way more than Wanda, and that goes against the edict of the show. Notice how in general the strongest material in the show was everything dealing with Wanda and Vision.

That, and I know that Kevin Feige and the Marvel team DON'T want to deal with the baggage of including all of the FoX-Men stories and interpretations of those characters when they do finally introduce mutants into the MCU. They will want a clean slate to do what they want to do. You only need to look at Spidey to see that. So I knew the whole Pietro thing in WandaVision was always going to be a ruse in the end.

I interpreted those scenes to be Wanda's subconscious trying to snap her out of her denial.

In both cases, she is not dealing with the reality that Vision and Pietro are dead. Yeah, she resurrected Vision and somehow "a version" of her brother returned, but they are not real. Seeing the hole in Vision's head is that reminder that he was killed and this Vision isn't the real Vision. Seeing the bullet holes in Fietro is a reminder that he died and that this person in front of her is a fake that she chose to believe was real, just to continue the ruse of the hex. I think it's her subconscious screaming at Wanda "Wake up! Stop living in denial!", then she shakes it off to continue living the lie.

none of these things confirmed he wasn't fox quicksilver.

the theory was that fox's quicksilver was being mind controlled in the Hex. Playing the gag this way wouldn't have forced Marvel to deal with the Fox canon baggage. They presumably would have just thrown him away at the end like they did with Ralph, except with more magic involved. It wouldn't have made the show any less about Wanda.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Wanda doesn't just randomly kill people. so it's easy to infer that the Bee Keeper agent was just assimilated into the hex.

Also I speculate that Hayward is an AIM agent based on what he was trying to do with Vision's body.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
All Fietro was there for was to show us that Wanda wasn't in full control of who could appear in her sitcom world and to show us how in denial she was that she actually entertained it for almost an entire episode.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
All Fietro was there for was to show us that Wanda wasn't in full control of who could appear in her sitcom world and to show us how in denial she was that she actually entertained it for almost an entire episode.

this same effect could have been had with literally any actor though.

he was also there to screw with theorizing fans.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019

Ralph Bohner is the Other M of the MCU.

And 100% on that last bit. It felt way too "aren't we funny, cmon it's funny right?" by the writers to me. Just an unnecessary waste of time in an otherwise really good show.
This Hot Toys figure gives a nice look at the costume (with an added cape. lol).

mBr2O7h.jpg
Hot damn. The things this show did right, they DID RIGHT. It's crazy that Wanda and Vision have gone from ehh to two of my favorite Avengers.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it, the less I think the kids will be back anytime soon. The show was originally supposed to finish a month or two before Dr. Strange. If that's Wanda's next big movie, surely they wouldn't let that emotional thread dangle for just a few weeks before reversing their "death", right?

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
My argument is that way the actions were chosen and presented late in the story felt like a contrived effort to use plot twists to skew the audiences perception moral alignment rather than allowing the complex web of conflicting values to play out organically by having characters react according to their characterizations.

That's your option and that is fine. I think it played out well for series that was hampered by filming during Covid.

WE the audience know that Vision is not a robot because we watched other MCU content. And for that WE sympathize for Wanda's situation. We also know that no rationale gov agency is going to surrender a WMD to a civilian or honor the will of an AI.

Hayward and SWORD are not rational.

But within confines of the WandaVision story, the victims of the Hex have no reason to desire a favorable outcome for Wanda over Hayward.

Hayward's actions lead directly to Wanda's metal breakdown. Do the victim know that at the very moment? No. But given the situation, the FBI is going to update and debrief everyone. Everything he did lead to the building of a White Vision who did nothing to really help the town, Agatha did more to save them ;).

Also, how do you know every victim is going to react the same exact way to what Wanda did? You assume their are not people like Monica in the town? It ios not realistict that everyone is going to process their trauma in the singular way you keep arguing about. Some are going to hate her forever, some are going to sympathies with one of the saviors of the world like people do with solders that have PTSD. Then their will between a whole swath in the middle who will have valid, but contradicting emotions. For some of the towns people, Wanda my be hero for bringing back loved one's from the blip and be villain for enslaving them for a week.

For brevity, I cut allot of the rest of your arguments, not because you don't have valid point, but the reveal that it was suppose to be 10 episodes and Covid causes them to cut a bunch of scenes and subplots that would have addressed some or all of your grievances makes it silly for me to continue.

I do have some problems with the series, but I lowered my expectation because of Covid. I'm forgiving of the rough edges I can see, espicially in the last episdoed were things were cut to wrap it up

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure I understand why a lot of people here seem to be calling for Wanda's head. I mean, yeah, realistically, she should face some sort of consequence. But in the MCU, that would mean either benching her for at least 5 years so she can think about what she did or whatever, or just straight killing her because the people of Westview demand it. I guess one other option would be to get another Wanda-centric show that focuses on her road to redemption, though I somehow doubt that it would sufficiently redeem her in the eyes of the "She got away with it!" crowd.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand how people can be okay with how a major character like Monica was written and utilized

how can you reconcile the dissonance of the implications of Wanda's actions vs how the show actually frames her in most scenes (the perpetrator vs the victim; the villain vs the hero)

i don't know how you can just chill with Darcy getting one line and an off-screen exit in the finale

how do you dismiss so many scenes just being ham-fisted exposition dumps delivered by characters who's sole purpose ends up being exclusively that?

this and more all detract from the great stuff enough that it's difficult to ignore for me. For a lot of the clever, inventive and emotional writing there's almost just as much rote, convoluted, on-the-nose and lazy writing.

edit: i should clarify that I don't think you're wrong to not be bothered by these things but I don't think you should be surprised that other people are

Last edited:

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand how people can be okay with how a major character like Monica was written and utilized

how can you reconcile the dissonance of the implications of Wanda's actions vs how the show actually frames her in most scenes (the perpetrator vs the victim; the villain vs the hero)

i don't know how you can just chill with Darcy getting one line and an off-screen exit in the finale

how do you dismiss so many scenes just being ham-fisted exposition dumps delivered by characters who's sole purpose ends up being exclusively that?

this and more all detract from the great stuff enough that it's difficult to ignore for me. For a lot of the clever, inventive and emotional writing there's almost just as much rote, convoluted, on-the-nose and lazy writing.
We simply don't see the way you nor do we want to. People view shit differently and you have to understand that.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

i don't know how you can just chill with Darcy getting one line and an off-screen exit.

how do you dismiss so many scenes just being ham-fisted exposition dumps delivered by characters who's sole purpose ends up being exclusively that

There is a difference between acknowledging the shows faults, which I would argue most would agree with, and giving a shit. People didn't enter this show expecting prestige televsion, but disposal marvel entertainment.

I thought episode 8's ridiculous exposition dumps where clunky asf, but paul bettany delivering the emotional punch was all I needed to walk away satisfied ultimately.

Honestly, getting on a soapbox and exclaiming how base we all are for not being more angry at the shows faults like you seem to proudly be comes off a bit sadder than I think you realize.

People consume media differently. Don't act in disbelief that some people don't care or view things as strongly as you do.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is a difference between acknowledging the shows faults, which I would argue most would agree with, and giving a shit. People didn't enter this show expecting prestige televsion, but disposal marvel entertainment.

I thought episode 8's ridiculous exposition dumps where clunky asf, but paul bettany delivering the emotional punch was all I needed to walk away satisfied ultimately.

Honestly, getting on a soapbox and exclaiming how base we all are for not being more angry at the shows faults like you seem to proudly be comes off a bit sadder than I think you realize.
Like it's never that serious to be like that. If you don't like it you don't like it. You don't speak for how we should feel. It's just pure ignorance.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The pandemic.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

People consume media differently. Don't act in disbelief that some people don't care or view things as strongly as you do.
i'm talking more about the people who are being defensive and saying Era is just being hyper critical
We simply don't see the way you nor do we want to. People view shit differently and you have to understand that.
And again, this is fine, but the criticisms are still warranted and people are also allowed to be disappointed and say they thought the show was whatever

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
2. So, about Fietro (timestamp here - https://youtu.be/qFxn1q-KqW8?t=7228):
- They could've had Aaron Taylor-Johnson come back, but they already had one person Wanda loved come back (Vision), so they decided to explore how you can bargain with yourself (like in the five stages of grief) to believe this person who isn't really your brother IS your brother. She wants him back so badly (and she's in such denial) that she'll just accept this random stranger in that role.
This is incredible because I'm STILL seeing people on the internet bargaining with themselves and in denial trying to create possible explanations for how Ralph actually really is an undercover Quicksilver or mutant.

Oct 30, 2017
i'm talking more about the people who are being defensive and saying Era is just being hyper critical

And again, this is fine, but the criticisms are still warranted and people are also allowed to be disappointed and say they thought the show was whatever

Welcome to Marvel Super Fans. They'll hand wave away your reasons or say "actually it wasn't an issue" or now use covid as an excuse.

Then when you press further say you just hate people enjoying things and are a pseudo-intellectual - that's a go to one.

If the argument was always just a standard "hey I just like kinda mindless Marvel stuff" it'd be way simpler but instead you end up with some ultra rabid fans that will defend anything.

A good test - if anyone defends the quicksilver thing as anything but a cynical trick they are too far gone.

Oct 29, 2017
Am I the only one who got the vibe of, since Fox has driven the Phoenix storyline into the ground by this point, that the MCU might be planning to "adapt" that same over-arching plotline with Wanda instead of Jean?

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one who got the vibe of, since Fox has driven the Phoenix storyline into the ground by this point, that the MCU might be planning to "adapt" that same over-arching plotline with Wanda instead of Jean?

No. I think the MCU will some day adapt the Pheonix saga, though it may be more than a decade out still. I can guarantee if they do it though that they'll actually set it in space and not half-ass it twice like Fox did.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. I think the MCU will some day adapt the Pheonix saga, though it may be more than a decade out still. I can guarantee if they do it though that they'll actually set it in space and not half-ass it twice like Fox did.
If they do it'll be a multi-movie arc that gives the story room to breath and develop naturally. You can't tell that story properly in just one film.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Welcome to Marvel Super Fans. They'll hand wave away your reasons or say "actually it wasn't an issue" or now use covid as an excuse.

Then when you press further say you just hate people enjoying things and are a pseudo-intellectual - that's a go to one.

If the argument was always just a standard "hey I just like kinda mindless Marvel stuff" it'd be way simpler but instead you end up with some ultra rabid fans that will defend anything.

A good test - if anyone defends the quicksilver thing as anything but a cynical trick they are too far gone.

Speaking of far gone, have y'all stopped complaining that Wanda didn't spend thirty minutes apologising to the WestView residents and then turned herself into the police? Because those parts of this thread were definitely a highlight to read.

Dupy

Oct 31, 2017
I agree with some of the criticisms people have but hell this may be my favorite MCU story outside of IW and Endgame. I literally had no interest in the Vision/Wanda plot lines in previous movies but after just rewatching IW their scenes had a much greater impact. Can't wait to see the follow ups.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Member the early days of this thread when everyone was sure Wanda was banging a corpse.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
just don't understand how people can be okay with how a major character like Monica was written and utilized

I think this is a prime example of them spreading themselves too thin for no good reason. Given the entire season, I'd have cut Woo and Darcy entirely and given both their roles to Monica, which gives her more to do and, at least in the final episode she would then be responsible for stopping Hayward instead of standing around. I'm assuming they want her to be a leader in Sword and setting her up as a more majorly anti Hayward force would have made sense.