Status
Not open for further replies.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Why reward her at all, after everything presented here? Someone who outed a victim? People have lost job opportunities for less. For once, I'd like the logic to not work backwards into justifying the decisions of people who, may I remind you all, work for us.

what if it has nothing to do with rewarding her and she was simply chosen because b*den thinks she will be good at the job
(jk jk we know how political appointments work!)

Bramblebutt

Jan 11, 2018
You realize the senate has to confirm this position? What's the point of nominating someone far left when it will be DOA? This is a Merrick Garland nomination

Also see tweet above
Does the senate have to confirm this position? If the last four years are any indication, the executive seems to have rather broad authority to sidestep the senate confirmation process on a variety of positions through the use of acting officials and intentional vacancies. Is the OMB specifically exempt from this tactic?

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
If she was actually a good pick, he'd make that case. Instead, he's saying, "She won't yield the kind of influence one might think in this role".
He's acknowledging the concerns. If she were actually a good pick, he wouldn't need to qualify that.
Uh he explicitly says in the post above all are excellent picks unless "all" means some different from all of the above people he mentioned but then if he's that precise with language he'd say some or most are excellent picks. He doesn't he says "all".

Does the senate have to confirm this position? If the last four years are any indication, the executive seems to have rather broad authority to sidestep the senate confirmation process on a variety of positions through the use of acting officials and intentional vacancies. Is the OMB specifically exempt from this tactic?

Trumps skirted that by moving other already appointed positions around as acting. In order to even do that, you have to have at least some positions approved.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
No, he's basically saying the scope of concerns in his mentions are moot given the position she's being appointed to, of which she's an "excellent choice" for.

Just so we're clear, since you called out online activists contemptuously, you find the issue of how she's handled harassment to be spurious no? I can't think of another reason to not at least engage on the reasons these activists are giving if you find them so contemptuous. Should be easy right?

Oct 25, 2017
No, he's basically saying the scope of concerns in his mentions are moot given the position she's being appointed to, of which she's an "excellent choice" for.

It's entirely possible he's wrong. That aside, tell me why we should defer to you and we can compare.

But a bad person who wouldn't do harm in a position of power shouldn't be in that position. It's not just about pragmatism but also the moral and ethical perspective of doling out political capital that can be used to bolster their power in future elections to people who should not have it.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless I misread the article, it sounded like, at least in that particular meeting referenced, it was a genuine mistake.
It was done at a meeting where she was addressing the pervasive culture of sexual harassment at the organization she runs (CAP). In that context it doesn't matter that it was a mistake. Like retaliation for reporting sexual harassment was a massive problem there, so outing the victim is particularly bad even as a mistake. The harm done is the same regardless of intent.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Reviewing CBJBs! Passbacks! In other words, all the fun stuff.

lol I mean, I wouldn't expect anything less from you :p

If she was actually a good pick, he'd make that case. Instead, he's saying, "She won't yield the kind of influence one might think in this role".
He's acknowledging the concerns. If she were actually a good pick, he wouldn't need to qualify that.

This is a bit disingenuous? He's obviously referring/replying to people being critical-- his tactic in response is to assuage their fears about her by means of pacifying them with that response.

I'm fairly confident if you or someone else asked directly, "what makes her a good pick," he (and others, though not I) would be able to answer that.

It was done at a meeting where she was addressing the pervasive culture of sexual harassment at the organization she runs (CAP). In that context it doesn't matter that it was a mistake. Like retaliation for reporting sexual harassment was a massive problem there, so outing the victim is particularly bad even as a mistake. The harm done is the same regardless of intent.

You could read the rest of my post.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
No I don't think any of his picks will necessarily be appealing to Republicans but I see people on here calling for a more progressive leftist pick which definitely won't be.

At least they can say she's already been part of a previous administration and worked closely on policy so it would make it look more ridiculous for Republicans to refuse her nomination.

Not sure that really matters in the end because Republicans have no shame but it's a tough spot he's got to at least try to pick some people that they can push through instead of just putting up somebody who's automatically dead in the water before the process even starts.

I updated my original post but I'll just say it again, Mitch McConnell wasn't blocking candidates based on their perceived ideology and if they were, they're not going to like Neera Tanden.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
She believes in full employment and she thinks deficit chasing is a suckers game. Look I don't like her but in the position she's being nominated for she's further to the left then a lot of the political establishment

How is this not disqualifying by itself? Talk about letting a blind person manage a radar system.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol I mean, I wouldn't expect anything less from you :p

This is a bit disingenuous? He's obviously referring/replying to people being critical-- his tactic in response is to assuage their fears about her by means of pacifying them with that response.

I'm fairly confident if you or someone else asked directly, "what makes her a good pick," he (and others, though not I) would be able to answer that.

You could read the rest of my post.
There wasn't anything else in your post when I quoted it.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No I don't think any of his picks will necessarily be appealing to Republicans but I see people on here calling for a more progressive leftist pick which definitely won't be.

At least they can say she's already been part of a previous administration and worked closely on policy so it would make it look more ridiculous for Republicans to refuse her nomination.

Not sure that really matters in the end because Republicans have no shame but it's a tough spot he's got to at least try to pick some people that they can push through instead of just putting up somebody who's automatically dead in the water before the process even starts.
The political alignment of the picks are irrelevant to whether McConnel will stall their confirmations. He's going to do that no matter who the pick is. No one should be making decisions based on trying to appease McConnel (to be clear, I don't think Biden is doing that either).

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just so we're clear, since you called out online activists contemptuously, you find the issue of how she's handled harassment to be spurious no? I can't think of another reason to not at least engage on the reasons these activists are giving if you find them so contemptuous. Should be easy right?
Wake me up when they condemn their own trash, such as Dore, Kulinski, Chapo, etc. Either way I don't hold activists in contempt. I just don't take them very seriously anymore despite sharing their ideologies of where things should be. It's just a lot of noise with no substance imo.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wake me up when they condemn their own trash, such as Dore, Kulinski, Chapo, etc. Either way I don't hold activists in contempt. I just don't take them very seriously anymore despite sharing their ideologies of where things should be.
Uh, none of the people you named are activists. Most of those people are comedians/entertainers.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Her place on the political spectrum has no bearing on her being disqualified for being in this position because of how she's handled things in the past. I don't care if she was to the left of AOC on every single issue, she shouldn't be in this position period. There should be consequences for one's actions, these people work for us, not the other way around. We shouldn't go out of our way to figure out how it's okay she's in this position. And that goes for all of these potential members of Biden's administration.

Like haven't the last four years frustrated people with how little consequences matter? And now we're just okay with this because she's nominated by a candidate we voted for?

Wake me up when they condemn their own trash, such as Dore, Kulinski, Chapo, etc. Either way I don't hold activists in contempt. I just don't take them very seriously anymore despite sharing their ideologies of where things should be.

You absolutely do hold them in contempt despite what you say here. As far as them condemning their own trash, none of those people are being put in a directorial role in a presidential administration so not sure the relevance. It seems like you expect others to do something you're not willing to do yourself?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I have never listened to a single episode of Chapo Trap House yet supposedly I am meant to apologize for them all the time?

It's almost like leftists are never going to meet a magical standard where centrists and right-wingers finally find them amicable.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, none of the people you named are activists. Most of those people are comedians/entertainers.
No, but they are "trolls." However, "online activists" is something of a sardonic, pejorative oxymoron since they don't do much of anything except complain.

You absolutely do hold them in contempt despite what you say here. As far as them condemning their own trash, none of those people are being put in a directorial role in a presidential administration so not sure the relevance. It seems like you expect others to do something you're not willing to do yourself?
Having trash isn't the same as being trash. Likewise, I think people who preach more about morals should be the first to clean their own trash.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
I am anti-Neera as she has shown time and time again she has extremely poor judgment. I hope she didn't get confirmed. But she is also better than almost every single one of Obama's initial cabinet picks.

I just want to push back o this idea that she is a Third Way Democrat. When even the most objectionable pick would have been considered too liberal in 2008, there has been a push left as to who Biden is putting in his administration.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tanden gives me pause, she someone who slams Medicare for all

She just has bad political takes all around. I'd prefer Biden distance himself from the Clinton camp as much as possible.
You and several others are overreacting to her nomination. She's in a position meant to manage the execution of Biden's/Democrat's vision, not her personal views. The main thing she would even personally push for is a public option, something that's already embraced by the guy who won thanks in part to rejecting M4A. As one of the key figures behind the ACA and its public option form, combined with her extensive policy background, she makes a lot of sense.

Contrary to what's being stated in this thread by the usual folks on Era and leftist twitter, she is far from a bad pick on merit.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I posted a tweet relevant to the discussion. You responded. We're here now.
Robert Reich's statement about the picks is relevant. Your diatribe about random entertainers like Dore and Chapo is completely irrelevant. You brought them up as if they had any relevance to this discussion, not me. Idgaf about any of those people.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, don't know who Neera is, but I have a question. Will her views, however they may be, actually impact what she does at her job? Does she have any actual say in policy making or anything of the sort? I say this because, I feel like there's this aura around any Biden topic where there's people waiting to shit on everything he does. Of course, if I'm wrong and this is a bad pick for a legitimate reason other than " I don't like her, I don't like Biden, so I'm gonna post about it" then I apologise. I'd just like some context here.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, that's such a derail. If people can't defend Neera on her merits, then they shouldn't post. Anything else is just disruptive.
I'm pretty sure my original post included a defense of Neera on her merits by sidelining them as essentially irrelevant to the position.

Robert Reich's statement about the picks is relevant. Your diatribe about random entertainers like Dore and Chapo is completely irrelevant. You brought them up as if they had any relevance to this discussion, not me. Idgaf about any of those people.
It was relevant in my response to Eeyore. You chose to respond to it to say it wasn't an equal comparison.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You and several others are overreacting to her nomination. She's in a position meant to manage the execution of Biden's/Democrat's vision, not her personal views. The main thing she would even personally push for is a public option, something that's already embraced by the guy who won thanks in part to rejecting M4A. As one of the key figures behind the ACA and its public option form, combined with her extensive policy background, she makes a lot of sense.

Contrary to what's being stated in this thread by the usual folks on Era and leftist twitter, she is far from a bad pick on merit.
Idk, if I was an OMB employee I'd be pretty wary of her ability to handle sexual harassment in the office given the way CAP was run and her response to harassment there.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Having trash isn't the same as being trash. Likewise, I think people who preach more about morals should be the first to clean their own trash.

This is just saying people are wrong for being hypocrites. Which, even if I did listen or watch the people you mentioned, doesn't matter. Joe Biden is the President Elect and is responsible for his picks for his administration. That has nothing to do with Chapo Trap House and you know it. Stop being obtuse, there are so many qualified women that he could pick here that don't have an issue with harassment. No matter where Tanden is on the political spectrum, whether she's 80% to the left of the population or not.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure my original post included a defense of Neera on her merits by sidelining them as essentially irrelevant to the position.
Giving bad people positions of power is not an irrelevant action, because positions of power do not lose relevance after they are done with them. The political capital of being given power can be utilized by Neera so that she may go on to a position that allows her to do harm.

Bramblebutt

Jan 11, 2018
Uh he explicitly says in the post above all are excellent picks unless "all" means some different from all of the above people he mentioned but then if he's that precise with language he'd say some or most are excellent picks. He doesn't he says "all".

Trumps skirted that by moving other already appointed positions around as acting. In order to even do that, you have to have at least some positions approved.
Is it not the case that the OMB falls under the purview of the Executive Office of the President, and therefore it ultimately falls to the Chief of Staff (a non senate-confirmed position) to appoint acting officials in the event of a vacancy? Much in the case of our current chair of council of economic advisors, Tyler Goodspeed and his predecessor, Tomas Philipson, who also fall under the purview of the EOP?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It was relevant in my response to Eeyore. You chose to respond to it to say it wasn't an equal comparison.
It really wasn't, that's why I responded in the first place.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, but they are "trolls." However, "online activists" is something of a sardonic, pejorative oxymoron since they don't do much of anything except complain.

Ok, fine. Jimmy Dore is shit, Chapo Trap House is shit, Kyle Kuklinski is shit. Now that that's over, can we stop with the "but you don't attack your own" line?

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
This is just saying people are wrong for being hypocrites. Which, even if I did listen or watch the people you mentioned, doesn't matter. Joe Biden is the President Elect and is responsible for his picks for his administration. That has nothing to do with Chapo Trap House and you know it. Stop being obtuse, there are so many qualified women that he could pick here that don't have an issue with harassment. No matter where Tanden is on the political spectrum, whether she's 80% to the left of the population or not.
I'm not saying they're wrong for being hypocrites. I'm not even saying they're wrong in the absolute - in fact they are potentially right. My point was to highlight an informed opinion. Also, Mitch is in part responsible for the picks in Biden's admin. I don't disagree with the italicized.

Ok, fine. Jimmy Dore is shit, Chapo Trap House is shit, Kyle Kuklinski is shit. Now that that's over, can we stop with the "but you don't attack your own" line?
It honestly does help.

Oct 25, 2017
Only 30% of Democrat's agree with _all_ kinda milquetoast center-left ideas, let alone all voters.

A poll showing that three years ago there would have been support from a majority of the US population for any number of policies to help people despite a great deal of media coverage demonising said ideas isn't evidence that Neera is further 'left' than 80% of the US populace.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
A poll showing that three years ago there would have been support from a majority of the US population for any number of policies to help people despite a great deal of media coverage demonising said ideas isn't evidence that Neera is further 'left' than 80% of the US populace.

Those polls seem totally accurate when 45% of the country just voted: Fascism? Yes Please!

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, don't know who Neera is, but I have a question. Will her views, however they may be, actually impact what she does at her job? Does she have any actual say in policy making or anything of the sort? I say this because, I feel like there's this aura around any Biden topic where there's people waiting to shit on everything he does. Of course, if I'm wrong and this is a bad pick for a legitimate reason other than " I don't like her, I don't like Biden, so I'm gonna post about it" then I apologise. I'd just like some context here.

Yes, the position Tanden is nominated for will allow for her views to impact her job--I think that's a large part of why she is being nominated. The OMB has a lot of different tendrils, so it's likely that parts of it won't really be subject to Tanden as its head, but overall it is an arm of the administration that functions to ensure all the other government organizations are following the president's agenda.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk, if I was an OMB employee I'd be pretty wary of her ability to handle sexual harassment in the office given the way CAP was run and her response to harassment there.
We'll its a good thing its not her job to handle those kinds of situations and can be held accountable if she's ever involved in a situation like that while Director.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only 30% of Democrat's agree with _all_ kinda milquetoast center-left ideas, let alone all voters.

Uhh... that second to last statement is definitely stopping me from selecting "All of the above."

EDIT - Also, "Abortion should be legal in some circumstances" is also a statement I disagree with. It should be all circumstances.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We'll its a good thing its not her job to handle those kinds of situations and can be held accountable if she's ever involved in a situation like that while Director.
As head of the OMB it is absolutely part of her job to be involved in those kinds of situations. She wasn't held accountable the way CAP was run, as evidence by her getting this appointment.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'm not saying they're wrong for being hypocrites. I'm not even saying they're wrong in the absolute - in fact they are potentially right. My point was to highlight an informed opinion. Also, Mitch is in part responsible for the picks in Biden's admin. I don't disagree with the italicized.

Like I said, I like Reich, I think his YouTube videos educating people on income inequality and other topics are fantastic. I just interpreted that post with his tweet embedded as a cudgel to deflect criticism. I understand that any of the positions that have to go through the confirmation process aren't a given anyway, I just want us to get more from our government. I think we all deserve that, even you, rose Twitter hater!

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Um neera's in the 28% that supports all of the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.