• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Oh god, Trump is Hitler again

The only thing worse than Trump's shitty remarks and shameful presidency is the drama queens' Hitler-reflex.
No, the president of the US calling a country he doesn't like a shit hole does not suddenly turn the US into Nazi Germany.

No, that's not even close to being worse. Racist president being racist is far worse for everyone than anything his critics might have to say about it.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Argh, my mom just got into an argument with my dad about Trump's shithole comment. She says how he's crazy, a child, a disgusting person, etc, etc

My dad's responses are 1) but he's not Obama, 2) Trump defeated ISIS, why doesn't the media report that, 3) I don't care what he says, only what he does, 4) Trump makes dictators and psychos like Kim Jong Un nervous and scared like Reagan did, and that's good because Obama was weak

How do you even argue or debate with that, when that's the mindset?

https://www.vox.com/2016/4/7/11380974/reduce-prejudice-science-transgender

In a typical canvassing conversation, a person knocks on the door and spews statistics and facts to convince you to vote for a ballot measure. Those interactions are at best instantly forgettable and at worst incredibly annoying.

Broockman and Kalla were studying a different type of conversation, one developed in the Leadership LAB, a program of the Los Angeles LGBT Center in the wake of California's Proposition 8 that banned gay marriage. Frustrated by the loss on Prop 8, the LGBT Center's Dave Fleischer set out to talk to voters about why they decided against marriage equality. The conversations became the basis for a new technique.

The key difference between Fleischer's technique, sometimes called "deep canvassing," and the standard model is that Fleischer has voters do most of the talking.

"The key part of this is having people think back on their real, lived experience in an honest way," Fleischer tells me. "Everything we do is driven by that."

In talking about their own lives, the voters engage in what psychologists call "active processing." The idea is that people learn lessons more durably when they come to the conclusion themselves, not when someone "bitch-slaps you with a statistic," says Fleischer. Overall, it's a task designed to point out our common humanity, which then opens the door to reducing prejudice.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

The only thing worse than Trump's shitty remarks and shameful presidency is the drama queens' Hitler-reflex.
No, the president of the US calling a country he doesn't like a shit hole does not suddenly turn the US into Nazi Germany.
No, him making racist comments does not make comparisons to Hitler appropriate.

Him doing all the shit Hitler did to gain power makes comparisons to Hitler appropriate.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

Ignoring warning signs and ignoring history isnt a recipe for success. Nobody credible is saying that Trump is comparable to hitler, only that he occasionally uses some similar strategies.

Koren

Oct 25, 2017
PR people at the WH should be oaid more, such a hard job...

My dad's responses are 1) but he's not Obama, 2) Trump defeated ISIS, why doesn't the media report that, 3) I don't care what he says, only what he does, 4) Trump makes dictators and psychos like Kim Jong Un nervous and scared like Reagan did, and that's good because Obama was weak

From experience, you don't try... :/

Trump should copy french president and send to his supporters "howto" to explain how to refute arguments against him in family meetings :)

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"worse"

think about what you typed there and try again

Oct 31, 2017

WTF? How is reasonably comparing the President's similarities to Hitler worse than the President being a full-blown racist? Jesus, some people seriously need a filter between their brain and their keyboards.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

I'm mixed race. One of my parents is caucasian and the other is not.
Both born and raised in different countries.

Only based on that description, my parents skin color, can you guess wich one your president consider to be from a shithole country? Take a good guess.

Oct 31, 2017
Great read. A lot of these points are talked about in this great Borders video from Vox. Some things are even expanded upon like how the French overworked the land and left it barren which the effects are visible even today.

This brought me close to tears. It's sad that this kind of discrimination and injustice is allowed to continue just right next to us, and shithole President has the nerve to add insult to injury by insulting these poor people and their country. Fuck him and fuck anyone that tries to defend his shitty racist attitude.

Oct 25, 2017

"The only thing worse than acting like a racist is being called a racist."

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
"No, the president of the US calling a country he doesn't like a shit hole does not suddenly turn the US into Nazi Germany."

If only he had stopped at calling a *single* country a shithole. But no, he said that about an entire continent of countries. A continent large enough to contain the landmasses of the US, China, India, Japan, several of the largest Western European countries and most of Eastern Europe.

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anybody explain to me why the race aspect is highlighted and not the blatant attack on poor countries for being poor? He, in my view, is saying that he doesn't understand why poor people come to the US. Which, to me, shows that he doesn't understand how economics work.

The only way you could argue that it is, in fact, racism is when you consider him also talking about highly skilled migration. Which he does not do from what I've read? Is it just the US's focus on race instead of class?

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both my parents are Haitian and Trump suppoters. And fucking finally he said something that crossed the line with them.

Ein

Oct 25, 2017
It's sad to me that the line for some people is "he personally insulted me". But it's good that that line exists
That's how it is with a lot of conservative minorities. I'm sure his parents were nodding their heads in agreement when he was disparaging Hispanics, when the ban of Trans soldiers happpened, the Muslim and Arab bans happened, and they didn't give a fuck cause it wasn't their people.

I'm glad they had a change of heart, though. Hopefully they'll do something constructive with that anger, like not voting for a bigot next time around.

Oct 31, 2017
Can anybody explain to me why the race aspect is highlighted and not the blatant attack on poor countries for being poor? He, in my view, is saying that he doesn't understand why poor people come to the US. Which, to me, shows that he doesn't understand how economics work.

The only way you could argue that it is, in fact, racism is when you consider him also talking about highly skilled migration. Which he does not do from what I've read? Is it just the US's focus on race instead of class?
Except he didn't say that, he straight up called Africa and other South American Countries shitholes and suggested that people from white countries like Norway be allowed in instead. That bias is what can be considered racist because only a racist would even suggest something as ridiculous as that.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Both my parents are Haitian and Trump suppoters. And fucking finally he said something that crossed the line with them.
oh just now?

What's their excuse for all the other shit he's said and done lifetime to date?

Because he didn't say he didn't want poor people. He said he didn't want people from these nations predominantly populated by brown bodies.

There are lots of poor people from Norway, Japan, China, Korea, Israel, western Europe especially, and so on that come here. He didn't mention those. He has no history of mentioning those with a desire to reduce their presence here. What he does have a history of is attacking people with brown bodies and the places from which the come. You shouldn't need any help doing that rather simple math.

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because he didn't say he didn't want poor people. He said he didn't want people from these nations predominantly populated by brown bodies.

There are lots of poor people from Norway, Japan, China, Korea, Israel, western Europe especially, and so on that come here. He didn't mention those. He has no history of mentioning those with a desire to reduce their presence here. What he does have a history of is attacking people with brown bodies and the places from which the come. You shouldn't need any help doing that rather simple math.
I can flip your argument, which means it is not a good explanation (nations predominantly populated by poor people). I mean the chance he wouldn't care about fe. Hungarians or w/e coming is quite big seeing the sentiment in the alt-right but it is interesting to see how one possible interpretation gets much more traction than the other. Shithole as a term very much so references their economic situation.

With my biggest issue is that him not being racist would help out the people he criticized but not being an economical bully and blame them for what basically is imposed long-term poverty would help them even more. Both needed.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

This guy was banned but in case anyone thinks this was a salient point....

If you're thoughtful about it and show some real awareness of history, go ahead and refer to Hitler or Nazis when you talk about Trump," Godwin wrote in the Washington Post late last year. "Or any other politician.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...ttesville-virginia-donald-trump-a7892171.html

Koren

Oct 25, 2017
There are lots of poor people from Norway, Japan, China, Korea, Israel, western Europe especially, and so on that come here.
There is? Geniously curious about this...

I can see the appeal of the USA for people that can find good (and well-paid) jobs there, and I could see myself doing the jump because of opportunities, even if USA as a country wouldn't be my first choice, but for poor people, that seems a bit of a stretch. I'm under the feeling that if you're poor, many of the countries in the list are providing more help, such as universal health care. Far from perfect, but what would be the incensitive to move (beside family reasons)?

Besides, US never wanted poor immigrants from Europe... At the beginning of XXth century, the immigration rules, such as litteracy tests, were designed to avoid this kind of immigrants. I definitively won't say they're alone in wanting wealthy and educated immigrants and not poor ones, that's basically universal.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017

Because his comment didn't happen in a vacuum, the comment was part of an ongoing pattern of racist remarks. Just a few weeks ago he reportedly said all Haitians have AIDS and Nigerians live in huts. Yesterday this was reported: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-s-history-breaking-decorum-remarks-race-ethnicity-n837181

"Where are you from?" the president asked, according to two officials with direct knowledge of the exchange.

New York, she replied.

Trump was unsatisfied and asked again, the officials said. Referring to the president's hometown, she offered that she, too, was from Manhattan. But that's not what the president was after.

He wanted to know where "your people" are from, according to the officials, who spoke under condition of anonymity due to the nature of the internal discussions.

After the analyst revealed that her parents are Korean, Trump turned to an adviser in the room and seemed to suggest her ethnicity should determine her career path, asking why the "pretty Korean lady" isn't negotiating with North Korea on his administration's behalf, the officials said.

And that's just recently. It would literally take me days to collect all the instances of him saying racist shit. I'm not sure how anybody at this point can give him the benefit of the doubt.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Argh, my mom just got into an argument with my dad about Trump's shithole comment. She says how he's crazy, a child, a disgusting person, etc, etc

Well, my uncle is arguing that they are corrupt countries; and calling them that is just the truth.

I wish there was a website dedicated to arguing against these kinds of things. Snopes comes the closest.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
People from shithole countries are exactly who we should want to immigrate here unless you are a racist who believes other countries are shitholes because there is something intrinsically wrong or inferior about the people who occupy them. Trump's comment pretty unambiguously lives in the latter territory.

Koren

Oct 25, 2017
People from shithole countries are exactly who we should want to immigrate here
That's if you see immigration as a humane gesture or long-term investment.

If you handle the country as a company, even without any racism involved, you'll want to get rich people and with a higher education*, because you'll introduce more money in your economy and improve immediately your workforce. And at the same time making the "opponent" countries poorer and with a diminished workforce.

Any company will try to grab investors and skilled employes from other companies.

So I don't think it's a proof of racism, it can just be blatant (short-sighted) liberal doctrine.

Though in this case, I strongly doubt it's the only reason (Trump being a businessman, I still think that's part of the equation, though).

* I don't have a doubt there's people with higher education in all countries, but it's easier to produce them in richer countries where either people or the state itself have the money to pay for the education... So things are harder in poor countries. I'm lucky that I was *paid* to study, because my country can afford it so that it gets a research/teaching workforce, but I see this as a luxury...

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If you handle the country as a company, even without any racism involved, you'll want to get rich people and with a higher education*, because you'll introduce more money in your economy and improve immediately your workforce. And at the same time making the "opponent" countries poorer and with a diminished workforce.

Any company will try to grab investors and skilled employes from other companies.

So I don't think it's a proof of racism, it can just be blatant (short-sighted) liberal doctrine.

Though in this case, I strongly doubt it's the only reason (Trump being a businessman, I still think that's part of the equation, though).

* I don't have a doubt there's people with higher education in all countries, but it's easier to produce them in richer countries where either people or the state itself have the money to pay for the education... So things are harder in poor countries. I'm lucky that I was *paid* to study, because my country can afford it so that it gets a research/teaching workforce, but I see this as a luxury...

Nigerian immigrants that we let in tend to have better results than any other minority. We tend to take in mostly the best from any given country. Try again.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
America is corrupt, start there. There is plenty of history to find with American corruption.
That doesn't work with these people. America is perfect, the Founding Fathers were perfect, America has had no human rights or civil rights issues or any racist issues since the 60s, America is better and more advanced and has more freedom than any other country, anything wrong or corrupt that America has done will have some alternate reason that presents it as America protecting itself or growing as a country or was necessary to do to maintain the country's values

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

I didn't say anything about the virtue or non-virtue of a merit-based immigration policy, just that people from countries they, themselves, do not want to live in are perfect candidates for immigration. Assuming immigrants must be undesirable because they come from a dysfunctional country is fucking racist.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't work with these people. America is perfect, the Founding Fathers were perfect, America has had no human rights or civil rights issues or any racist issues since the 60s, America is better and more advanced and has more freedom than any other country, anything wrong or corrupt that America has done will have some alternate reason that presents it as America protecting itself or growing as a country or was necessary to do to maintain the country's values

Then don't bother, if one believes that America is not corrupt, there is no chance getting to them. Just listen politely and nod.

Koren

Oct 25, 2017
Nigerian immigrants that we let in tend to have better results than any other minority. We tend to take in mostly the best from any given country. Try again.
First, it's not my take on the question. And honestly, what's basically attracting those people from all over the world is something I really don't feel at ease with.

The question may be whether we're talking about people who want to enter or people who actually enter (since basically the immigration policy Trump want is already partly in effect).

That being said, Nigeria is a bit of a special case. As far as I know, they have a great take on education, investing a lot of money into it... Kudos to them. It's also not really among the poor african countries. You could argue that the targeted countries aren't Nigeria.

Though in this case, I don't have much doubt that many in the White House don't really see the vastly different situations in Africa...

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of Nigerian students where I work. I don't think we have one currently (we have a norvegian, though ^_^ )

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
When I think he couldn't do anything any more stupid.. he actually does it!

What a racist piece of shit. he's essentially said;
"We don't want these coloured people from this/these shithole countries, instead we want these white people from this affluent country"
What a colossal moron.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First, it's not my take on the question. And honestly, what's basically attracting those people from all over the world is something I really don't feel at ease with.

The question may be whether we're talking about people who want to enter or people who actually enter (since basically the immigration policy Trump want is already partly in effect).

That being said, Nigeria is a bit of a special case. As far as I know, they have a great take on education, investing a lot of money into it... Kudos to them. It's also not really among the poor african countries. You could argue that the targeted countries aren't Nigeria.

Though in this case, I don't have much doubt that many in the White House don't really see the vastly different situations in Africa...

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of Nigerian students where I work. I don't think we have one currently (we have a norvegian, though ^_^ )

It goes further than just Nigeria, though it is among the top. Muslim immigrants tend to perform on par with the rest of the population in the United States regardless of country of origin. Pretty much everyone we let in does well and helps the economy with current standards of immigration. Doesn't matter where they come from, if they meet our current standards of immigration they do well. On the contrary, capable people are more likely to move away from a country in dire straits than one doing reasonably well. Our immigration system isn't "charity".

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/14/us/politics/david-perdue-trump-shithole.html
G.O.P. Senator Says Trump Didn't Use Vulgarity for Haiti and African Nations
A Republican senator who attended a Thursday immigration meeting at the White House forcefully denied on Sunday that President Trump had used the phrase "shithole countries" in describing Haiti and African nations, saying a Democratic senator's account of the session was "a gross misrepresentation."

Senator David Perdue, Republican of Georgia, said on ABC's "This Week" that Mr. Trump "did not use that word," and accused Senator Richard J. Durbin, Democrat of Illinois, of distorting what the president had said at the meeting, which included more than a half-dozen lawmakers.

Senator Tom Cotton, an Arkansas Republican, joined Mr. Perdue later in the morning in questioning Mr. Durbin.

"I didn't hear that word either," he said on CBS's "Face the Nation." "And I was sitting no further away from Donald Trump than Dick Durbin was."
The way Republicans are taking cues from Trump in reality distortion is freaking me out. Lindsey Graham was at the meeting and he confirmed the remarks days ago. I guess that doesn't matter.

Last edited:

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
The irony is the longer he's in charge the closer the US is to becoming a shithole country with poverty and no access to healthcare on the horizon for millions of Americans thanks to Trumps administration.

Koren

Oct 25, 2017
It goes further than just Nigeria, though it is among the top. Muslim immigrants tend to perform on par with the rest of the population in the United States regardless of country of origin.
With current rules, I don't doubt it... In fact, it's probably harder for Muslim countries, so they even need to be better.

About Nigeria, I just think they're doing great in education matters (as far as I can tell), unrelated to the current question.

Our immigration system isn't "charity".
Well... that's precisely my point, and I'm not sure that I'm at ease with that. Though I guess it can't be helped.