• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaptainBearTV

Dec 20, 2023
Yep its very likely their Witcher 3 moment.
They enter the big leagues and will probably be right behind CDPR when it comes to quality and pushing technology for that Genre.
CryEngine still looks good.

Hope when this game gets released its as much as possible optimized while still pushing hardware.
The first one had a lot of problems which was understandable.
Could possibly be the first real test for the 5090 which hopefully will really release this year.

Everything looks really good so far about this game and they seem to use their increased budget well.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
A difficult game to really gauge because we get so few games that attempt to portray any kind of historical detail in anywhere near this sort of fidelity.

It's a truly rare treat to be able to walk around villages and castles and see how the architecture melds with the land, and get some sense of combat in that era and the nerdy differences between types of armors versus types of weapons. Beyond the idiot lead designer's assertion that there could never have been people of color there, it goes into some level of historical detail that other 3D action games that aren't Assassin's Creed almost always ignore. We just don't get games like this. I appreciate it even if only as a rare form of historical tourism in a game (a lot more with the objects and structures than the people).

But the lead designer is an idiot, and a bigot, and I don't blame anyone for dismissing this game out of hand if only for that.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I hope the combat is easier to understand. Them saying the world is much bigger seems pretty good, I enjoyed the exploration on the first one.

Hope the devs learned something from their previous controversies.

n0stalghia

Banned
Jan 26, 2023
Austria
First game was really fun and refreshing, so this is a definite buy from me. The question is can my machine run it at release at settings/framerates that I want, or do I have to wait for an upgrade. Normally I play all games 1-2 years later anyway, so most likely I'll wait.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder what the specs of the rig they used to render the gameplay/video we saw in the preview was. Regardless I have no doubt you're going to need an absolute beast to play this game.

Sep 22, 2022
Color me interested!

Let's see how a "more cinematic" approach turns out though. That sounds a little like an antithesis to how part 1 was designed, so it definitely sounds like a mildly risky choice

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
May check out the first game. I just skipped it entirely when it came out and never thought about it.

But this is looking good. I'll keep an eye on it at least.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
It looks really good. The visuals in the first game was great, and this one looks ever better. I hope my computer can even run it.

Definitely gonna keep an eye out. Maybe I'll be over Helldivers 2 by Christmas lol

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
They enter the big leagues and will probably be right behind CDPR when it comes to quality and pushing technology for that Genre.

Hope when this game gets released its as much as possible optimized while still pushing hardware.
Could possibly be the first real test for the 5090 which hopefully will really release this year.

Everything looks really good so far about this game and they seem to use their increased budget well.
I'm looking forward to the game but I still think it's hard to have a Witcher 3 moment with such a grounded game. That may turn some people off.

mbn

Mar 25, 2024

not sure if it is quite their witcher 3 moment yet, maybe more like witcher 2, but looks very promising for sure

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I bounced off the first game pretty hard. I just couldn't stomach the jank. Loved the concept but it just played like total dogshit. The first fistfight in the game told me all I needed to know, really.

Please let this be their Witcher 3 moment, because this is exactly the kind of game I love.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I bounced off the first game pretty hard. I just couldn't stomach the jank. Loved the concept but it just played like total dogshit. The first fistfight in the game told me all I needed to know, really.

Please let this be their Witcher 3 moment, because this is exactly the kind of game I love.

Sounds like this one has far more resources behind it. 250 people compared to maybe a few dozen for the last game.

I didn't play the first game, but from what I understand the combat was incredibly frustrating and not good. There's no way this won't have been improved on.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like this one has far more resources behind it. 250 people compared to maybe a few dozen for the last game.

I didn't play the first game, but from what I understand the combat was incredibly frustrating and not good. There's no way this won't have been improved on.
the problem with the combat was that it wasn't your standard oblivion block/hit hack and slash stuff. You had to see where your opponents body position was and strike in the exposed area's.

It wasn't perfect; but at least it wasnt boring (imo). There was strategy to it.

Also it was essentially impossible to fight multiple enemies if you got surrounded (like in real life), the enemies would hit your exposed side's of your body and you wouldn't be able to recover. You had to actively make sure you weren't getting surrounded by enemies.

I feel like people that spend time getting good at the combat actually ended up enjoying it. Same thing with the non-reticle bow shooting.

To each their own though; I can definitely understand why some people didn't find it enjoyable.

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023
Game looks great as expected but

8q5oUb3.png

smells-bad-philip-blake.gif
Yeah, I was hopeful that Vavra would either have been shown the door (best case scenario) or at least kept away from the press (more realistic scenario) before the second game came out, but instead they're going with the "we consulted with people of different ethnicities or religious beliefs so we're cool" strategy. (Not even an Ubisoft style "This game was developed by a diverse team..." message, because that's obviously not true.)

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The first game was the closest a non-Bethesda game has come to actually replicating the nonlinear sandbox elements of Elder Scrolls with a lot of interesting ideas, unique quests, and a surprisingly nonviolent bent for this kind of game.

But the main plot is more or less straight-up Czech nationalism (the story is weirdly racist against Germans and Hungarians), and its treatment of women suggested a push and pull between appealing to A Certain Kind of Gamer and trying to give two of the female characters fleshed-out arcs.

Gacha Santa Alter

"This guy are sick"
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I had not heard about Vávra in a while, but judging by the replies here I'm assuming he's still the same as he ever was?

Kinda sucks as the first one looked right up my alley and I can stomach some stuff by problematic creators but Vávra is a whole different tier of problematic.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
"We are trying to depict a realistic, immersive, and believable medieval world that is being reconstructed to the best of our knowledge. And naturally to achieve that we are not only having our own in-house historian, but we are very closely working together with universities, historians, museums, reenactors, and a group of experts from different ethnicities or religious beliefs that we are actively incorporating into development as external advisors."
Does this mean the Mongolians aka "God's Punishment," will show up at random and decimate the region and its army?

Neghis

Dec 29, 2022
Tried playing the first one a couple of years ago, but the clunky controls and buggyness drove me away.

Hope this one doesn't take multiple years to get to a decent place.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

This was my issue. The game didn't look that great and was kinda janky, and I also just couldn't be arsed to get good at the swordfighting mechanics. I didn't make it very far before I just lost interest and never went back to it.

Sequel looks visually great, and if they can make the actual game itself a little more player friendly I'll certainly give it another try.

Aug 15, 2022
Does this mean the Mongolians aka "God's Punishment," will show up at random and decimate the region and its army?
No. The events of the first game took place more than a century after the last Mongolian invasion to central Europe.

What were the Moors and Ottomans supposed to do in Bohemia?

Pillaging. But that doesn't matter since they never reached Bohemia. The story of the second game seems to take place some time near the fabled seige of Vienna (whether or not its historical significance is exaggerated is a different matter).

Last edited:

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
It always makes me sad the game(s) is helmed by an assclown because in many ways they are the kind of games historical games I have asked for.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Tried playing the first one a couple of years ago, but the clunky controls and buggyness drove me away.

Hope this one doesn't take multiple years to get to a decent place.

This was my issue. The game didn't look that great and was kinda janky, and I also just couldn't be arsed to get good at the swordfighting mechanics. I didn't make it very far before I just lost interest and never went back to it.

Sequel looks visually great, and if they can make the actual game itself a little more player friendly I'll certainly give it another try.
Issues with the developer aside, the game is straight-up Eurojank. For some folks that's part of the charm. To me it felt like the modern-day successor to The Witcher 1.

One of the reasons the combat is unreasonably hard is because it's extremely easy to miss an early essential tutorial. Problem is, that tutorial also gives you access to a riposte that damn near breaks the game.

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
Holy shit, the graphics are insane. How is the Series S gonna run this? I think that's a question I'm gonna be asking myself a lot going forward with true next-gen shit like this and GTA6.

Wiltsghost

Nov 27, 2018
Thought the music in the first game was pretty good and hearing that choir in the second video gave me goosebumps.

AArouet

Dec 25, 2020
I don't know how/why they wouldn't patch their PS4/Xbox1 version to have the framerate unlocked, going into the release of the sequal.
I know…I was hoping they were going to say, "oh and one more thing".

Dare I even hope this one has a 60 fps option on consoles lol. It may have to be a PC game for me 😓

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I know…I was hoping they were going to say, "oh and one more thing".

Dare I even hope this one has a 60 fps option on consoles lol. It may have to be a PC game for me 😓

Makes you wonder though. If they were going for primarily 30fps on consoles for part 2... maybe they don't want to raise expectations of console games by letting them experience a 60fps version of part one...leading into part 2 lol.

Unfortunate, if that is the case.

Oct 27, 2017
I sort of glanced off the first one in that I played it for a fair bit and enjoyed exploring the world, but anytime combat reared it's ugly head the experience took a nosedive. Right from the very first fist fight at the start I never achieved anything more than janky enthusiastic flailing.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks great, a shame it has assholes like Vávra directly profiting from it with his shitty views since this really looks outstanding.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Daniel Vavra is a gamergater piece of shit and giving him money helps him to maintain his platform, so I'm not going to be doing that.
Given his taste in music and other things between the lines I'm almost sure the Gamergate part isn't even the worst thing when it comes to vavra.

Either way, I'm very much looking forward to racists and Gators and capital g Gamers now "boycotting" and shit talking the game as well cause somehow It got hit with the woke mind virus or something. It would be so funny if, after all this shit, the "no no we have POCs now, see" to appease media will just instantly turn the "anti woke", loud, racist and horrible parts of their fan base against warhorse, while the people despising Gamergate and everything that crowd entails still won't touch this with a 10 feet pole either. Good luck to anyone purposefully trying to pretend-ignore all of this and hoping to look good while doing so on social media lol, it's gonna be a mess.