• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I do notice whenever this game is mentioned in a thread is that there seem to be two parallel threads happening at the same time. One thread is uncritically saying "nice! day one, can't wait" and the other is saying "i feel insane, the director/writer of this game and cofounder of the studio is a massive gamergater" and it does make me wonder what universe the former thread is taking place in - I just wouldn't be able to ignore this or separate the (heavily intertwined, as much as people would like to deny it) art from the artist enough to enjoy a title by the guy.

In the world of online discourse, it's healthy to center your personal feelings as opposed to the reactions of others. It's healthy to be focused on the subject at hand as opposed to whatever controversy exists around that subject. Discourse is way overdriven by conflict and overfiltered by these dense meta layers where someone's interest in a subject is basically irrelevant compared to their interest in, essentially, how other people are responding to it, and there's no need to throw a sense of obligation to react to people's reactions into that mixture.

At least not in this case. I love history in general, the Czech Republic in particular, and Oblivion-esque games. I still haven't bought Kingdom Come due to the lead being an absolute shitheel blunting my interest. However, most people popping up in these discussions are going to have internalized the situation around the game, and someone who had made the choice to give it a go anyway should absolutely feel free to speak their mind without heavily modulating their posts to account for people who landed in a different place.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I love the first game and still think it's one of the most immersive games I've ever played and I enjoyed the combat. If this one is as good as the first one, easy day 1 for me.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt people were banned for criticizing Vavra, more likely for attacking or shaming other members for enjoying the game. As stated by the policy that was established in the OT.

www.resetera.com

Kingdom Come: Deliverance |OT| Bohemian Rhapsody

We have no intention of banning discussion of this game outright, and the views of the director can be relevant. However, it is clear that there will be no peace in these threads without tighter moderation and brighter lines. Therefore if that discussion is to happen we are laying down two...

But I've never been in the ot thread for the game made by the racist gamergater to have seen the rules at least that I can remember. I just remember reading about the guy not wanting black people in his hyper realistic historically accurate world. Why is it not thread marked in the current topics about it if it's the current rule? It really makes it seem like those of us that want to call out this dude for his behavior are the ones in the wrong for doing so.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
This might push me even more than GTA6 to go for a PS5 Pro. I can't imagine it's going to run great on base systems.

Demon Daimyo

Jul 30, 2020
The first game, despite all its problems, was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. I feel good whenever I think about it.
I'm really looking forward to the sequel.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
User Thread Banned - Attempting to Thread Derail
Curious to see If Era (and its parent company) will follow their own rulebook from the last years and ban all KCD2 discussions or let that slide for whatever reasons.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
New benchmark game on PC? Looks crazy.
Looks like a game on CryEngine. Didn't see anything particularly "crazy" there - or any sign of h/w RT. Didn't look too close though.
By the time that one launched we'll have something like path traced Black Myth so I doubt that it will be "a new benchmark on PC".

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Curious to see If Era (and its parent company) will follow their own rulebook from the last years and ban all KCD2 discussions or let that slide for whatever reasons.
Banning discussions about games does not solve anything. Instead, use threadmarks explaining why a game/dev is problematic or controversial so people can inform themselves about it. Then, it's up to the individual to ignore the thread, which will function exactly like a thread-ban for them.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Games are a colective endeavour, you can appreciate the craft and effort put on this without needing to embrace, support or stop denouncing Vavra disgusting views.
Vavra makes himself out to be such a toxic, bigoted, prominent lightning rod that part of me hopes he's disappointed everytime his efforts in that regard are minimized and/or handwaved as just another member of the team. I hope posts that do get under his skin if he were to read them.

Nobody stages a photo shoot with an anti-SJW shirt and a glass of whiskey in his hand just to be regarded as some guy on the team, certainly not a co-founder/game director/visionary genius like himself.
Everyone knows Vavra is a shithead; for the people that like the game there is not much else that needs to be said (and its been discussed in nauseum in every thread before this one). I don't mind if people bringing him up and warn people about the creator; but I also don't see an issue with people ignoring those posts if they actually want to discuss the game.
Not everyone knows. There were one or two people in the thread you just made that learned about Vavra being a shithead. So long as it's kept respectful amongst Era members it's worth bringing up every time for that reason alone.

Last edited:

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
It was refreshing to play a game where you're not slicing through enemies like they're made of butter.

I've only put over 100 hours in two other games, The Witcher 3 and GTA: San Andreas. This speaks volumes of how much I enjoyed it.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Banning discussions about games does not solve anything. Instead, use threadmarks explaining why a game/dev is problematic or controversial so people can inform themselves about it. Then, it's up to the individual to ignore the thread, which will function exactly like a thread-ban for them.

Broadly speaking I'd agree with this take. Inform people, then let the thread play out. Moderate if posts are problematic but let people discuss a game if they like.