Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I like everything up until he gets the shield. Lots of good character stuff.

I always like the build up the most in any superhero movie, once they are there in their final superhero character form, everything flattens out or even goes down in terms of interesting story/drama/character development. Usually that's where a strong villain can keep the story interesting or else I'll just be watching a nearly infallible dude in a costume go through the motions of beating up henchmen of the bad guy. Which can be rather tiresome without an interesting villain or threat.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Civil War came out after BvS.

Look, the Snyder movies took efforts to place the titular heroes in a world as much like ours as possible. I like the Marvel films, but they just didn't attempt that. Until JL, I felt the Snyder films served as a great counterpoint to what Marvel had to say about superheroes and how they would manifest in "the real world." Now, WB is just murmuring quiet agreement with Marvel about what's interesting about super hero stories.
I would be fucking ecstatic if Superman existed in the real world. I wouldn't treat him like Jesus. Nothing in Snyder's world is more realistic and Helicarriers don't make MCU saturday cartoons in comparison.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be the Unpopular Opinion Guy here, but I thought Captain America had two okay movies and one very good movie.

2 okay one mediocre.

the action in winter soldier was the best of the mcu though.

also god damn I wish they gave a Superman movie to Brad Bird or some shit. that tease at the last scene of the Justice League...good lord, they can't just shelve the character after giving me that. I really missed such an iconic moment.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The First Avenger has a fantastic 1st act, but never hits those heights again

Oct 29, 2017
You know Captain America has probably the best super hero trilogy of movies, Batman with the dark knight trilogy comes in second.
I have to agree with this. I love the Dark Knight trilogy but it's hard to find a trilogy, an arc, to be the best if there's very little growth or substance to the main character.

Well, that and I'm not the biggest fan of Rises and Begins feels a bit dated in terms of formula these days.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
With all these rewatch comments, shouldn't we have a 'Road to Infinity War' rewatch thread? We could watch/discuss an entry every week

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
If you average the movies Batman loses out since TDKR is a huge turd. Batman has the higher peak tho.

I would rate them:
Begins 8/10
Dark Knight 10/10
Returns 2/10

Avg: 6.7

First Avenger 7/10
Winter Soldier 9/10
Civil War 8/10

Avg: 8

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
With all these rewatch comments, shouldn't we have a 'Road to Infinity War' rewatch thread? We could watch/discuss an entry every week
i swear someone made that thread on the old place right before the whole site fell apart :/ i really like the idea but then again i don't know whether i have enough spare time and/or access to all of the films needed to keep up. maybe you could ask in the mcu thread if someone wants to try it again?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you average the movies Batman loses out since TDKR is a huge turd. Batman has the higher peak tho.

I would rate them:
Begins 8/10
Dark Knight 10/10
Returns 2/10

Avg: 6.7

First Avenger 7/10
Winter Soldier 9/10
Civil War 8/10

Avg: 8

That's your scale though, the actual metacritic/rotten tomatoes scale probably puts them a lot closer.

Nov 8, 2017
BATMAN
Begins 9/10
TDK 10/10
Rises 6/10

Average 8

CAPTAIN AMERICA
FA 7/10
WS 7/10
CW 8/10

Average 7.3

IRON MAN
1 9/10
2 6/10
3 8/10

Average 7.7

BLADE
1 8/10
2 8/10
3 3/10

Average 6.3

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
THOR

Thor 3/10
TDW 3/10
Ragnarok 30/10

Average 12

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I'd definitely rate the highs of the Batman trilogy (namely TDK) way higher than the Cap trilogy. But from the perspective of the characters and how I feel about both trilogies now that they've ended, I prefer Caps since Rised left a bad taste in my mouth. On rewatches, I always just watch BB and TDK and skip Rises.

Where as I feel the Cap trilogy feels like a much more wholesome arc for the character and thus better overall.

Edit: Not Returns, Rises. Lol

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd definitely rate the highs of the Batman trilogy (namely TDK) way higher than the Cap trilogy. But from the perspective of the characters and how I feel about both trilogies now that they've ended, I prefer Caps since Returns left a bad taste in my mouth. On rewatches, I always just watch BB and TDK and skip Returns.

Where as I feel the Cap trilogy feels like a much more wholesome arc for the character and thus better overall.

Maybe you should watch Returns again so you remember that it's Rises.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Winter Soldier is my favorite CBM. First one is nothing special. Civil War gets docked a lot by simply having a bad villain.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm not a fan of the first Capatin America film. Really did nothing for me and consider it one of the weakest MCU films.

Winter Soldier on the other hand is by far one of the best MCU movies to date.

On topic, Thor Ragnarok is currently at 738.1 million USD at the box office. Can't see Justice getting half that amount.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
yeah, Cap America has the best trilogy bar none.

Also, it's the best comic book character rendition in movie history, and it's not even a contest. Chris Evans' Steve Rogers is a dude I look up to and aspire to be, seriously.

I even got one of the Cap's ending stills in The Winter Soldier tattooed in my arm as a way to never forget to fight for what's right. Cap wasn't even in my radar as a good comic book hero before the movies, but the MCU Cap is one of my favorite characters ever.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Trilogy rankings? Sure, why not. Quoting this because it's literally every comic book trilogy I've seen and contains girth.

Men in Black: 4/5
Men in Black 2: 2/5
Men in Black 3: 3/5
Average: 3

X-Men: 3/5
X2: X-Men United: 4/5
X-Men: The Last Stand: 2/5

Spider-Man: 4/5
Spider-Man 2: 5/5
Spider-Man 3: 3/5
Average: 4

Batman Begins: 5/5
The Dark Knight: 5/5
The Dark Knight Rises: 3/5
Average: 4.3

Iron Man: 5/5
Iron Man 2: 3/5
Iron Man 3: 4/5
Average: 4

Thor: 3/5
The Dark World: 3/5
Ragnarok: 3/5

Captain America: The First Avenger: 4/5
Captain America: The Winter Soldier: 5/5
Captain America: Civil War: 4/5
Average 4.3

X-Men Origins: Wolverine: 1/5
The Wolverine: 4/5
Logan: 5/5
Average: 3.3

X-Men: First Class: 3/5
X-Men: Days of Future Past: 5/5
X-Men: Apocalypse: 3/5
Average: 3.7

Nolan's trilogy and Cap get top marks from me. Bats has two great movies in his trilogy, but Cap doesn't have a movie as mediocre as TDKR. Evens out.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Trilogy rankings? Sure, why not. Quoting this because it's literally every comic book trilogy I've seen and contains girth.

Nolan's trilogy and Cap get top marks from me. Bats has two great movies in his trilogy, but Cap doesn't have a movie as mediocre as TDKR. Evens out.
TDKR is much better than Cap 1 around same quality as civil war. Cap has nothing on BB and TDK

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Winter Soldier is my favorite CBM. First one is nothing special. Civil War gets docked a lot by simply having a bad villain.
Civil War has a good villain even if his plan is a bit convoluted and relies a bit too much on coincidences/chance to work. He might not be a great representation of comicbook Zemo but he was nevertheless a good part of the story Civil War the movie told. A humane enemy with relatable motives to be against all the Avengers who doesn't take the superheroes head on but pushes their buttons to cause them to fight among each other and even turn part of the world against them in a way. Also provided Black Panther with a worthwhile conclusion to his story arc in CW.

LordFish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nolans Batman movies automatically lose points by still being embarrassed for being superhero movies.

Also the best thing to come out of those movies:

Shit I meant second best:

Last edited:

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
I think Civil War's villain would have been better received if he donned his comic book costume at some stage, so people had a cool mask to think of just the dudes easily forgettable face. Plot wise I thought he was great. His plan actually worked.

K444wsr

Oct 27, 2017
I think that we can even have a debate of whether the Cap trilogy or Nolan's Batman trilogy is better is a massive compliment to the Russo's and the job they did.
Personally I love both but would rank Cap just above. And that is purely because TDKR was such a big disappointment.
Looking at both side by side I would rank them....

TFA vs BB = BB just
TWS vs TDK = tie
CW vs TDKR = CW by a long way.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
To be honest. Cap has two trilogies. First Avenger, The Avengers and Winter Soldier is the first. The second is Ultron, Civil War and Infinity War (2-parter).

I gotta say, I'm not a fan of Joss Whedon's interpretation of Cap in the Avengers films compared to how Markus and McFeely nailed him in the solo Cap films.