• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
From the Mortal Kombat sub-Reddit.

Photos here: https://imgur.com/a/8KQKMXW

Basically, Warner Bros produced a Mortal Kombat spin-off for Cartoon Network that followed the MK girls in a style similar to Teen Titans Go or Thundercats Roar. Cassie Cage would have been the lead.

The leaker suspects that new executives want to shelve this due to possible backlash from parents and fans.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
"oh hey, I wonder if there's cool youtube videos about the heroines of that show I watch"
"oh"

Oct 27, 2017
For Mortal Kombat??
Also those designs are so atrocious I can't even tell who those characters are suppose to be

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This looks fan-made.

Edit: The reddit thread is interesting, a loooot of info there, I don't like the art-style but it seems the show was made with passion so now I kinda want to see it.

Also, it bothers me that the leaker claims to leak it because WB didn't seem to want to and claims that the leak is to help convince the WB executives that they have to finish the series, usually this tactics are counter-productive. Also a run of 52 episodes for a new show seems excessive, usually you get a first season to test the waters.

Last edited:

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
For a brand that sticks the K onto anything that should start with C, I'm genuinely surprised they didn't go with "Ultra Girlz."

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean realtalk Mortal Kombat X's main story was basically a teenage coming of age story for the Kombat Kids.

The gore is a formality at this point.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Who was the coked out WB exec who said "what we need is a girls focused kid show, what IP do we have? Mortal Kombat that could work well it has a lot of female characters". Like why wouldn't you do Wizarding World Magic Girls? That would probably have fit the niche a lot better and given us tons of lgbt shipping to upset Terf Rowling. Would have been a win win

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Who was the coked out WB exec who said "what we need is a girls focused kid show, what IP do we have? Mortal Kombat that could work well it has a lot of female characters". Like why wouldn't you do Wizarding World Magic Girls? That would probably have fit the niche a lot better and given us tons of lgbt shipping to upset Terf Rowling. Would have been a win win

That Reddit post goes a little into that:

MKUG spawned from a higher up who was amendment that the franchise is marketable beyond extreme violence. It worked for the 1990s movie. He grew up with stuff like Robocop and the Rambo cartoons, so they saw the potential with merchandising. They already planned a line of figures and a mobile game that reskins the IOS MK free to play game. They did okay getting these designs in 3D but it's far from done. Progress has halted on the game which is also effecting the show.

Maximum Spider

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Little kid enjoys this show so they decide to go on Google to find out more about Mortal Kombat.

Finds this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy cats, if WB didn't know that Frost and Cassie are shipped together they are about to find out if those scenes are indicative of their rivalry/bond in the show.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
lmao "MK ULTRA" girls, huh

I guess the internet has been BRAINWASHED into thinking anything they see is real

This is fake, folks

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
This seems a solid idea if aimed at the wrong audience. They should 'age it up' and aim it at teens with some darker humour etc Perhaps not going as strong on the language and themes as the Harley Quinn show (which I really liked BTW) but there could still be an audience there.

The leaker suspects that new executives want to shelve this due to possible backlash from parents and fans.

And they would have been right!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Little kid enjoys this show so they decide to go on Google to find out more about Mortal Kombat.

Finds this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah that is something worth thinking about.

Kids watched the Mortal Kombat movie and a cartoon was made, sure okay, but if they then went to go play the games this was the worst they were going to get.

5Zkz.gif

The violence in Mortal Kombat, for how excessive it was in the early 90s, was still incredibly toyetic. It was the kind of thing you'd go "woah, brutal!" over at worst than seeing really gross unpleasant shit starting with MKX.

Maximum Spider

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
It would be a funny bait and switch if this turned out to be a Happy Tree Friends situation.

Also, Happy Tree Friends is something I haven't thought about in over a decade. (Gore aside, I apologize if it's aged poorly.)

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there another fake "leak" about a supposed animated show based on a property not that long ago? Is this just the new cool thing to make fakes for?

I refuse to believe anyone pitched a kids show with "MK Ultra" in the title lol.

Edit: I was thinking of the Crash Bandicoot cartoon "leak" which I also don't believe was real.
www.resetera.com

Leaked footage of Crash Bandicoot cartoon canned at Amazon after year in development over disagreements about script Rumor

https://www.reddit.com/r/crashbandicoot/comments/kvvml5/new_crash_cartoon_at_amazon_axed_yesterday_after/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Mar 2, 2020
Brazil
Didn't like the art style at all... impossible to recognize even the Ninja girls.
Fingers crossed they'll recognize KHAMELEON's existence cuz she deserves it(spoiler alert: they won't)

RebelTaxi was a possible animator

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
lmao "MK ULTRA" girls, huh

I guess the internet has been BRAINWASHED into thinking anything they see is real

This is fake, folks

The thing is, the art style in this is similar to that of YouTuber RebelTaxi, who had apparently been working on something for WB that he wasn't sure was ever going to see the light of day. After this stuff was leaked, he locked his Twitter account for a bit and made tweets like this:

I think this is very real, and that someone just had a twisted sense of humour.

Oct 28, 2017
This has such a crazy premise that I have to see it, the show sound like its completely self-aware of the source material it's adapting.

WB needs to release this show on HBO Max, don't let it become lost media like Star Wars Detours.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Huh. . . How in the heck did this get green-lit. . .

Did someone have a deck showing the success of the two DC Super-Hero Girls series and asked for IP they owned that could get the same treatment? This falls into BMX-XXX territory for weird MBA decisions.

EDIT: read the full reddit post, so yeah. Not the craziest idea when you think of Robocop the animated show.

Last edited:

Maximum Spider

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Yeah that is something worth thinking about.

Kids watched the Mortal Kombat movie and a cartoon was made, sure okay, but if they then went to go play the games this was the worst they were going to get.

5Zkz.gif

The violence in Mortal Kombat, for how excessive it was in the early 90s, was still incredibly toyetic. It was the kind of thing you'd go "woah, brutal!" over at worst than seeing really gross unpleasant shit starting with MKX.
Yeah, the original MK had realistic sprites for the time but everything else was sooo over the top and cartoonish. Nowadays, MK is actually way too violent IMO and it's unsettling how crafted the gore is.

Imagine them making a new Rambo cartoon. JFC, one of the first things a kid would see whey the google Rambo is him ripping out someone's throat with his bare hands.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
This looks fan-made.

Edit: The reddit thread is interesting, a loooot of info there, I don't like the art-style but it seems the show was made with passion so now I kinda want to see it.

Also, it bothers me that the leaker claims to leak it because WB didn't seem to want to and claims that the leak is to help convince the WB executives that they have to finish the series, usually this tactics are counter-productive. Also a run of 52 episodes for a new show seems excessive, usually you get a first season to test the waters.
52 episode runs are the norm for western animation. It's by far the most believable part of the rumor

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
52 episode runs are the norm for western animation. It's by far the most believable part of the rumor
That is the standard but usually they get a season, and if that season does well enough then the 52 episodes are greenlight for sindication/reruns. I don't think all shows get the funding for it from the start.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
That is the standard but usually they get a season, and if that season does well enough then the 52 episodes are greenlight for sindication/reruns. I don't think all shows get the funding for it from the start.

Teen Titans Go and ThunderCats Roar both got that number of episodes for their first seasons, so I think it's pretty believable for this one too.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the 80s? I thought we stopped making cartoons from R-rated shows and movies.

Those were honestly a good idea.

Kids love experiencing media that's taboo, seeing R-rated movies and playing M-rated games is fun because they're not supposed to do it and they want it because adults tell them they can't. Robocop is cool but you can't really let an 8 year old watch the scene where Robocop gets all his limbs shotgunned off or that one dude getting doused in chemicals turning him into a horrible blob that splatters over a windshield

Creating a kid friendly spinoff is an easy way to give to a young audience a taste of something they can't have yet without including the stuff that makes it hard to watch in the first place. Can't really do that now, though, because ultra violent hyperreality pop fiction isn't as big a deal anymore.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
This seems a solid idea if aimed at the wrong audience. They should 'age it up' and aim it at teens with some darker humour etc Perhaps not going as strong on the language and themes as the Harley Quinn show (which I really liked BTW) but there could still be an audience there.

Yeah this is my take as well.

There's a difference between saying Mortal Kombat can work without the ultraviolence and pitching something in the vein of DC Super Hero Girls.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The thing is, the art style in this is similar to that of YouTuber RebelTaxi, who had apparently been working on something for WB that he wasn't sure was ever going to see the light of day. After this stuff was leaked, he locked his Twitter account for a bit and made tweets like this:

Almost assuredly was/is real then, wonder if this leak will put pressure on WB to release it.

Oct 25, 2017

Unless this is an elaborate April Fool joke that artsyle is definitely is his and has hinted he's been working on secret project for awhile