• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I'm going to have to side with Nintendo on this one. Sure it's not abusive to call a level mediocre but MM2 is clearly meant to be a game for all ages to share their creations. You wouldn't call a 3 year old's drawing of a dog terrible when you know they've put effort in to a scrawl on paper. Same applies here, Mario Maker isn't the place to comment with critique, it's for encouragement and enjoying the game.

Well said.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I literally don't know what you're talking about, but what is the intrinsic value of saying "this map is trash" when you already have a boo button? Is the boo button not toxic enough and you have to just spill more negativity into the internet than you already are? What if it's someone's 7 year old kid who made it? Am I five minutes away from hearing a but muh free speech argument?

I swear. Its not even constructive. Its a throwaway, shit comment that could have been kept to yourself. Its just being an asshole knowing full well that it could be a child that was playing around and made a level for fun. Instead of offering tips so that person could make better levels in the future, making the game itself better, someone instead chose to leave a verbal turd of a comment thats objectively to me worse than the level itself.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Man some of the posts in this thread. If you put a level out into the world, expect it to be critiqued. It's not like someone told the creator to quit or to kill themselves, they said the level was "pretty bad".

Kids play Fortnite and Minecraft. You gonna ban people for saying "you're not very good at this game" too?

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
So does getting banned prevent you from accessing your digital library and buying new games?

If not then whatever but if yes Nintendo should invest in better moderation tools if they want to control their environment that tightly.
Restrict a users access to commenting but banning over a fairly plain comment is overkill.

I think some of you are using "toxic" too liberally. To claim eve the "boo" button is toxic like wut... Kids can handle people not liking their things.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Yeah I'm going to have to side with Nintendo on this one. Sure it's not abusive to call a level mediocre but MM2 is clearly meant to be a game for all ages to share their creations. You wouldn't call a 3 year old's drawing of a dog terrible when you know they've put effort in to a scrawl on paper. Same applies here, Mario Maker isn't the place to comment with critique, it's for encouragement and enjoying the game.

I totally sympathize with this approach, and yet... Nintendo put in an option to leave comments. They have to share some of the responsibility. Either remove that option and simply put in a like button, or let parents monitor this stuff. Or give the level creators the option of whether or not they want to allow comments on their levels.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So then we should still blame Nintendo and add this to the pile of unexplainded moderation practices. If they want to only allow certain feedback then they should have implented a system that only allows positive feedback from the start. Exactly like they've already done with other ventures.

And that's if we take your "isnt the place to critique" comment at face value. It's factually false because its contradicts the system currently implemented.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Man some of the posts in this thread. If you put a level out into the world, expect it to be critiqued. It's not like someone told the creator to quit or to kill themselves, they said the level was "pretty bad".

Kids play Fortnite and Minecraft. You gonna ban people for saying "you're not very good at this game" too?
Yeah it's absurd that people defend this decision but I'm not really surprised.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
But that's jumping into conclusion. First, i dont even play the game so there is no proof to that. Second, negativity term is very broad, when i say i dont like that product, it is already a negative comment. Besides, are you forcing me to say "i like it" while i actually dont like it? To me, that doesnt sound like opnion, but more like dictatorship in term or consumerism
Woof. You kind of sound insufferable.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I think some of you are using "toxic" too liberally. To claim eve the "boo" button is toxic like wut... Kids can handle people not liking their things.

Yeah, complaining about the "boo" button was really surprising to me. I am a parent, i know the value of not having my kids being dunked by internet weirdoes so i dont really care about the comment stuff in question, but the boo button is mostly for curation purposes. People can't even see it. Why the hell would you be against it? People are never allowed to dislike anything ever? The poor kids poured their souls into putting a single item in this map so you need to see all of them so you won't hurt their feelings (despite them never even knowing who you are or if you ever saw and booed their level)? Jesus christ you people

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
To claim eve the "boo" button is toxic like wut... Kids can handle people not liking their things.

Kids aren't prone to crying way more than adults thse days? When did that leap in evolution take place?

I think criticism is healthy for children but come on... We as adults should practice as much tact as possible that 78 characters allows.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Malisimo is correct, if not straight up mierda.

Nintendo basically encourages shitty levels with this game. You should have to get a level making license, and have a rating, like in Gran Turismo Sport.

LasNochesGin

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 16, 2019
There are thousands of levels to play and you have the option to boo when you dislike.

so, if you won't leave a constructive comment, why allow people just insult people trying to do their best making levels?

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't leave comments but I do Boo the shitty levels and there's a lot of shitty levels. I don't care if your level is named "My first level, by jack age 7", it's getting a Boo if it sucks. It's the only way they learn.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
As others have pointed out "malísimo" is indeed closer to "really bad" or "horrible" than just "pretty bad".

However I do think it's weird that Nintendo would threaten to ban someone's online account for this. Regardless of whether or not you think the guy was being an asshole (I don't play MM2, maybe it is really obvious when someone tried hard on a level vs when they're just trolling), there's quite a number of options for Nintendo between saying "don't leave useless negative comments" and "we may ban your entire online account next time". Perhaps Nintendo could implement a better feedback system that protects vulnerable creators more or is more geared toward positive/constructive comments, or I wouldn't even necessarily mind them fully taking away a repeat offender's ability to comment on levels in MM2 without impacting their entire account.

Also I understand where people are coming from with "if you're toxic in one game you're probably toxic in all games", but this is where I think it's important to distinguish between straight up hate/bigotry and more general assholery like this.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Rating and comments should be off by default. If you make a level, you should be able to toggle if you want feedback etc. The majority of kids messing with the game would just publish and move on.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I typed "lame" on the Arby's level and got a strike on my account for "bullying". Arby's must have someone scouring the comments for anything negative... fuck Arby's lol

Tidus9000

Oct 27, 2017
I totally sympathize with this approach, and yet... Nintendo put in an option to leave comments. They have to share some of the responsibility. Either remove that option and simply put in a like button, or let parents monitor this stuff. Or give the level creators the option of whether or not they want to allow comments on their levels.
So then we should still blame Nintendo and add this to the pile of unexplainded moderation practices. If they want to only allow certain feedback then they should have implented a system that only allows positive feedback from the start. Exactly like they've already done with other ventures.

And that's if we take your "isnt the place to critique" comment at face value. It's factually false because its contradicts the system currently implemented.

Why get angry at Nintendo when it's just easier to say nice things on Mario Maker?
The moderation policy seems to be clear to me: Don't be mean. Doesn't seem to hard to stick to.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't leave comments but I do Boo the shitty levels and there's a lot of shitty levels. I don't care if your level is named "My first level, by jack age 7", it's getting a Boo if it sucks. It's the only way they learn.

7781.jpg

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Why get angry at Nintendo when it's just easier to say nice things on Mario Maker?
The moderation policy seems to be clear to me: Don't be mean. Doesn't seem to hard to stick to.

Just to be clear (and perhaps that wasn't directed at me specifically), I'm not getting angry with Nintendo. I was just offering feedback on the topic.

But as clear as the policy itself is the fact that mean and critical aren't the same thing.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Just to be clear (and perhaps that wasn't directed at me specifically), I'm not getting angry with Nintendo. I was just offering feedback on the topic.

But as clear as the policy itself is the fact that mean and critical aren't the same thing.
They often are in online culture
People can't be bothered to write.more that a few words and tends toward the simplest short hand.

The format itself is not conductive to criticsm as evidenced by how poor twitter is at for communication and discussion amd that platform allows for far more characters.

if I would fault Nintendo on one thing it's not.being more clear about how they want the comments system to function.. but I guess limiting it too much would induce the usual backlash of "nintendo doesn't get online" rhetoric and produce bad pr.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They often are in online culture
People can't be bothered to write.more that a few words and tends toward the simplest short hand.

The format itself is not conductive to criticsm as evidenced by how poor twitter is at for communication and discussion amd that platform allows for far more characters.

if I would fault Nintendo on one thing it's not.being more clear about how they want the comments system to function.. but I guess limiting it too much would induce the usual backlash of "nintendo doesn't get online" rhetoric and produce bad pr.
I mean thats exactly whats happening right now with this incident. There are far better ways to handle this than banning people for innocuous comments such as "you made a very bad level", and nearly every other platform and developer has found ways to handle this without resorting to bans (in addition to as you mentioned being much more clear about what constitutes a ban).

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I mean thats exactly whats happening right now with this incident. There are far better ways to handle this than banning people for innocuous comments such as "you made a very bad level", and nearly every other platform and developer has found ways to handle this without resorting to bans (in addition to as you mentioned being much more clear about what constitutes a ban).
Not on the same level and as evidenced here and the paralell thread in Reddit there is more understanding as to why the warning was sent

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
...but I guess limiting it too much would induce the usual backlash of "nintendo doesn't get online" rhetoric and produce bad pr.

Yeah, I immediately thought of that as well. Again, they maybe should consider leaving it up to the level creator as to whether or not allowing comments on their levels.

YesNoMaybeSo

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2019
PA, USA
Don't much get the idea where people believe children are so fragile they can't endure the slightest iota of criticism, constructive or otherwise.

Kids are incredibly resilient, and it's at precisely their age that they should be beginning to recognize and be taught that the world won't be at all considerate to their feelings. It will be harsh and cruel. They're going to encounter negativity everywhere they go, especially the Internet, and they should begin learning and practicing taking responsibility in how they react to it instead of expecting everyone else to act around them. To not do that is only crippling them when they grow up.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

Yea, it kind of is. "This sucks", "This is very bad", "this is mediocre" are insults to someone's work not criticism.

"Pacing the level better would make for a better game loop for your next level" is constructive criticism that doesn't insult someone. Instead, it suggests what they could do better. That's useful.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, it kind of is. "This sucks", "This is very bad", "this is mediocre" are insults to someone's work not criticism.

"Pacing the level better would make for a better game loop for your next level" is constructive criticism that doesn't insult someone. Instead, it suggests what they could do better. That's useful.

"This is really bad" may be inconsiderate, but is not an insult.

I remember once when I was a child, for a redaction I did for the school I received just a "Very bad", is something I did lazily the last day. I was fine, I didn't received any emotional scar from it.

Is OK to protect children, is not OK take innocuous negative comments and made them into some kind of personal insult.