• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I think what frustrates me the most about this argument is people who naively insist that loan forgiveness in any way would actually "destroy the system."

Government steps in and pays for a chunk of student loans. What happens next? More wasteful campus amenities upgrades and administration salaries to pay for, because now there's another revenue stream in play for the vultures to siphon more money from, that's what. A virtually certain increase to the rate of tuition hikes, not a reduction.

Any talk about reforms to the cost of education that doesn't put any emphasis on actual cost control first and foremost is naked pandering that doesn't actually solve problems. And to be honest, anyone insisting that they deserve loan forgiveness that doesn't do anything to actually tackle the underlying cost of tuition comes across every bit as selfish as the "fuck you got mine" mantra that this forum just loves to hold up as a punching bag no matter how relevant or reductive that it happens to actually be. Worse, sometimes, because there's absolutely no awareness of the underlying hypocrisy.
This nails it. Yes, there's arguing over fairness and who got how much forgiven, but without fixing the underlying system of tuition government loans serving as a funnel of cash for schools, it's all for naught.

May 29, 2019
It's stunning to see how many people here are as inversely tone deaf as this guy. Warren is just as bad. It's tremendously easy to say 'let's help everyone that suffered from student loans and give this guy money/tax credits'. Empathy should not be so difficult, particularly for those that consider themselves progressive.

Anyway, widespread Student Loan Forgiveness is a ruse at this point, but at the very least we're going to see some reform in the coming years.

Disingenuous comparisons abound. How do you know if someone is empathizing if you will not talk and listen?

"So you're going to pay for those who didn't save any money"
- that guy in video.
The twitter video misquotes him, though (it's a CHRISTIAN-MAGA-TRUMP supporter) as,
"so you want to help those who don't save any money"

The "Father" in the video is ranting, but let's pay attention to him because it could be me. Sounds like fearmongering for a sound bite.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I understand his frustration, working all his life and paid so much, but yes he is clearly missing the point here that there has been little regulation on student loans and a lot of people have suffered because of it.

But then again if they increase taxes for this then I will feel more against it than if they can budget their spending better to not do so.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, that's a selfish boomer alright.

"Why would you introduce a vaccine now? I got malaria, my father got malaria. So now what? You're just gonna save the people you can from the hardships I had to endure? That doesnt seem faaaaaaaaaaair."

I clearly stated that student loan forgiveness is a good thing. That should make it pretty clear that I agree in helping others.

My problem is with this perceptive of "them." I'm not even talking specifically about the dude in the video. Who is 'them' exactly? The father who's pissed because he spent all his disposable income on college tuition for his child instead of travelling and buying a new Porsche? The father who raised his child in a small apartment because he was crippled with student debt and now has too many family expenses to ever save up enough to afford buying a house? The father who remortgaged their home to pay for their child's college tuition and will now forever be paying it back?

All of these people are being equated as the same in this thread. It's rather disgusting how people who seemingly want to help others can't even be bothered enough to relate to the challenges that people in bad financial situations are facing, and will continue to face regardless of student loan forgiveness.

"Think of future generations, not yourself!"

Future generations like a child growing up in an underprivileged family because their parents were crippled by student debt?

Most of the comments in this thread boil down to "help others....just not those others."

I understand that these fairness issues are not easily solved and probably never will be, but the response shouldn't be "lol boomer, deal with it" if you're trying to convince those people who are struggling and will never see the benefits of student loan forgiveness that student loan forgiveness is a worthwhile endeavor.

If he had worked 3 jobs or chosen not to have children maybe he could get that car or vacation hes whining about.

And wont they see the benefits when their children dont have to take loans for the grandbabies? That money can now be spent on the selfish boomers getting an upgrade to a retirement home with Porsche beds for the boomer babies.

He agreed to the terms and got what he paid for (tuition). The world has no guarantee that everything you spend your money on will turn out exactly how you wanted. He paid for tuition, he presumably got tuition.

Last edited:

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally any solution to this problem would help the past, present, and future.

These threads always devolve into the 3 camps arguing against each other though.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
That's not the point. The point is college is now unaffordable for the vast majority of Americans unless they go into debt. Working part time or an entry level job isn't gonna cut it anymore if you want to go to a good school.

Yeah it was dreadful. I should've just gotten the loan.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Had a discussion regarding this on PoliEra with AndyD and he did provide an interesting perspective. While I still think that this is backward thinking and is kind of a "FYGM" attitude, there are cases where this will be unfair to people.

Person A: Decided to pay off their loans for the past 10 years and did not invest in anything else (house, car, etc). Just finished payments.
Person B: Decided to make the minimum payment for 10 years, invested remaining money in a house, car, and other avenues of wealth.

Loan forgiveness kicks in and person B comes off better. This is indeed biased against person A in terms of wealth equity. So I understand the bitterness. I still don't think it's valid, because loan forgiveness is necessary and is extremely important. And most of the people rallying it against it are FYGM boomers who went to school when it was dirt cheap. However, candidates will need to have a good answer towards these sorts of scenarios, either towards a cash bailout or tax credit.

These cases may come off as "collateral damage" but politically it would be bad to shrug them off. Of course the person that needs it most is Person C: Can only make minimum payments and still has no money left over (me, lmao).

Yes, this is a cogent point. A lot of posters will say (and have said in this thread) "BOOMER TROLLEY" or "typical FYGM mentality" or whatever but we can just ignore those posters because insults don't really mean anything and don't contribute to any meaningful discussion.

So let me start here: Person A is going to feel screwed compared to Person B. I think we can all agree on that. However, I will posit that most people with student loan debt are not Person A or Person B, but rather, there is a Person C, who far outnumbers people like Person A or Person B. Person C didn't really "decide" to make the minimum, or not at all, but rather is struggling to keep afloat. Person C's failure to pay off student loans is not due to some grievous moral failing or lack of hard work, but them simply getting screwed by the circumstances. Forgiving Person C's student debt would be helpful to everyone.

At the same time, is there a real problem with compensating Person A for paying off more of their loans within the past 10 years or whatever while Person B and Person C get their loans forgiven? The person in the video is obviously comparing himself to Person B, and in his narrowmindedness, is ignoring Person C. However, vis a vis Person B, Person A may have put off marriage, home ownership, parenthood, etc, because they thought they were being responsible in taking care of their debt. It's easy for me to understand why Person A feels screwed.

Oct 27, 2017
So why even bother forgiving any loans then? If you can have a "functional" life? The comparison is based on financial equity and how a point blank forgiveness without taking into account those who have recently been paying loans is actually still creating a subset of society that will be financially worse off.

Loans should absolutely be forgiven but it would be much better (and much more sellable) if one attempted to be fair towards those who barely missed the proverbial deadline.

If you can draw a better line when it comes to the subject, you should do so. There will always be the people who will just miss the deadline.

I like UK's higher education government-issued loans. Low interest, the payments are % of your income starting above minimum salary, and the debt forgiveness kicks in if you cannot pay it back eventually. Capitalism and tuition did not mix well :(

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
It's stunning to see how many people here are as inversely tone deaf as this guy. Warren is just as bad. It's tremendously easy to say 'let's help everyone that suffered from student loans and give this guy money/tax credits'. Empathy should not be so difficult, particularly for those that consider themselves progressive.

Anyway, widespread Student Loan Forgiveness is a ruse at this point, but at the very least we're going to see some reform in the coming years. If we really want to make a meaningful dent, let's cap interest, interest payable and start rolling out forgiveness to first-generation students and minorities.

Nothing that guy said deserves empathy. Again, it's straight up Reagan-era, 47% Romney conservative language concern trolling benefit programs: food stamps, minimum wage, healthcare - I've seen and heard it all from folks like that. It's a dog whistle and a willful performance to be shown on rightwing sites.

Now, if a leftist wants to push Warren from the left into accepting that whatever plans she has concerning college are too conservative and couched in capitalist compromise then that would be a different story. This guy wasn't doing that though, he straight went into "ME ME ME" and "THEM THEM THEM". Don't have time to coddle that selfishness.

Dec 31, 2017
Yes, this is a cogent point. A lot of posters will say (and have said in this thread) "BOOMER TROLLEY" or "typical FYGM mentality" or whatever but we can just ignore those posters because insults don't really mean anything and don't contribute to any meaningful discussion.

So let me start here: Person A is going to feel screwed compared to Person B. I think we can all agree on that. However, I will posit that most people with student loan debt are not Person A or Person B, but rather, there is a Person C, who far outnumbers people like Person A or Person B. Person C didn't really "decide" to make the minimum, or not at all, but rather is struggling to keep afloat. Person C's failure to pay off student loans is not due to some grievous moral failing or lack of hard work, but them simply getting screwed by the circumstances. Forgiving Person C's student debt would be helpful to everyone.

At the same time, is there a real problem with compensating Person A for paying off more of their loans within the past 10 years or whatever while Person B and Person C get their loans forgiven? The person in the video is obviously comparing himself to Person B, and in his narrowmindedness, is ignoring Person C. However, vis a vis Person B, Person A may have put off marriage, home ownership, parenthood, etc, because they thought they were being responsible in taking care of their debt. It's easy for me to understand why Person A feels screwed.

Yeah, and like I said in my post, person C is sadly me and many of my friends ;_;

But I understand that my loans are from grad school and in my field I will eventually have the potential to pay them off comfortably one day. There are some people who have >100k in loans for a degree that has very little upward mobility and have a stagnant wage, causing them to struggle indefinitely. It's a hellish scenario that preys on the decisions of a 17/18 year old to prognosticate their future financial life; it just makes no sense for higher education to be this costly.

If you can draw a better line when it comes to the subject, you should do so. There will always be the people who will just miss the deadline.

I like UK's higher education government-issued loans. Low interest, the payments are % of your income starting above minimum salary, and the debt forgiveness kicks in if you cannot pay it back eventually. Capitalism and tuition did not mix well :(

I'm not claiming to be any expert on policy making and budgeting. However, seeing that this is politics, public approval for your plans is important and responding the way Warren did is indeed going to rub a subset of voters wrongly. Warren currently offers $50k of loan forgiveness, while Bernie is offering complete loan forgiveness, so I'm sure there is more than enough money to go around. But I will admit my ignorance on how these decisions and policies are made.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
For reference

EIj65DgU0AAXkqy.jpg

This is great.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

There's also a Person D who rarely gets talked about, and won't get anything from any of these plans:
The person who did the "right thing" in deciding that going to college was too expensive for them, that taking out huge loans was unreasonable, and so went to either a lesser college or no college at all. They are basically 50 grand behind everyone else plus their degree (if they have one) is not as "prestigious" and they are competing for jobs with their counterparts who took out the loans. I'm only bringing it up because if we're going to be giving 50 grand of forgiveness out to people, recent college graduates are probably in the middle of that list.

Now reforming school costs will obviously help their kids (or if they somehow have the time as working adults to go back to school).

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like UK's higher education government-issued loans. Low interest, the payments are % of your income starting above minimum salary, and the debt forgiveness kicks in if you cannot pay it back eventually.

I like the UK approach to existing loans as well. Couple that with free community college/trade schools (and free state schools for graduates of same-state community colleges) and you've significantly benefited the current/future population with much lower costs than certain other proposals.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

"Why would you introduce a vaccine now? I got malaria, my father got malaria. So now what? You're just gonna save the people you can from the hardships I had to endure? That doesnt seem faaaaaaaaaaair."
I have literally heard this from an anti-vaxxer about chicken pox before. "I got through it just fine. They should go through it. It builds character."

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
I personally would not mind and welcome student debt forgiveness. Would never want anyone to go through what I did. At the same time the video shows why it will NEVER happen. 0% chance.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing that guy said deserves empathy. Again, it's straight up Reagan-era, 47% Romney conservative language concern trolling benefit programs: food stamps, minimum wage, healthcare - I've seen and heard it all from folks like that. It's a dog whistle and a willful performance to be shown on rightwing sites.

Now, if a leftist wants to push Warren from the left into accepting that whatever plans she has concerning college are too conservative and couched in capitalist compromise then that would be a different story. This guy wasn't doing that though, he straight went into "ME ME ME" and "THEM THEM THEM". Don't have time to coddle that selfishness.

Of course he deserves empathy. He's not evil, he's upset. He could be a MAGA fuckwad and he still deserves education and empathy. He's just as entitled to forgiveness as anyone.

Also, widespread student loan forgiveness is way different than your examples (e.g. food stamps). To conflate the two feels completely wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
Politically this is a dead end, there's millions and millions of people who feel like this guy (rightly or wrongly) who would never go for it. The young people who want it don't vote in significant numbers.

I'm actually for some kind of loan forgiveness though, it's become a drag on our economy. I think a good start would be a forgiveness of the interest on any outstanding loans (the gov't could pay the banks). It's a gradual step (I know how Era loves those) but I don't think it would be too controversial and could provide some relief.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Well off the top of my head I would say less common than A or C, as someone with significant loans is likely burdened by them enough that they can't make so many major purchases; but if the interest rate on the loans is low enough it makes more sense to just pay the minimum payment and invest the money elsewhere where it would appreciate more significantly.
Well I'd say I started off as C but am now B. I started out by deferring my loans for 3 years or so as I was living paycheck to paycheck, and then I started repaying on the extended graduated repayment plan which is the absolute lowest I could get the payments to go. I actually don't think my principal has gone down at all. I've since switched to a standard plan, but there's still almost 20 years left on repayment.

I'm dragging my feet on it because I'm holding out hope that the TEPSLF program will still have funds when I approach my eligibility date, and I really just consider that portion of my paycheck to be lost forever. I'd rather use what's leftover on myself and my future than throw more into the black hole.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville

I don't think this is quite accurate and people keep saying it. A vaccine prevents disease going forward. And disease is not something you sign up for or have great flexibility on how to treat/manage. Vaccine would be tuition reform today which I don't think people would argue about. Not to mention bringing in a healthcare slant skews the argument as it involves life itself, not financial position in society going forward.

A way to flip this is to say mortgage forgiveness post financial recession. People with mortgages get them forgiven because of the financial institutions' wrongdoing, but people who live in apartments get nothing. The same argument of "because of high student loans I chose to/not to get a mortgage" would come into play. How do you as a politician address those two people and sell your plan without anyone feeling screwed over and left behind.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is full of opinions I agree with, but I also wonder if there's anyone here in the same situation as this guy? I can totally understand supporting freeing up student debt, and I think it's dumb to fight against it - but I can also totally understand being extremely frustrated if I was in this guy's situation.

I just don't think it's as easy as saying "lol fuck this selfish prick". We only get one life to live, and we only get so much money within that life - I can totally empathize with someone feeling as though they've completely wasted their money (obviously it's not a waste, but it would feel like that) and getting frustrated about someone getting a "free pass" for the same thing. Sure you can call it selfish, but not everyone feels the same way, reacts the same way, show a little compassion and empathy.

I often wonder if a 4-day work week will become the norm eventually (I'm an office rat), and jokingly say to people "Watch, it'll happen right as I'm retiring". Does that mean I'll fight against it and adopt the mindset that since I didn't get it, no one should? No - but I'll certainly lament the fact that people in my situation will have more time to live their life, and that would be deeply upsetting to me on a reflection-level. That's not the same situation as this guy (time vs money) - but I don't know - I think it's easy for anyone to say "lol fuck him" because it's too difficult for people to have a discussion about trying to understand his frustration.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
If the mentality behind the legislation reflects the gross kneejerk reactions like that image, then this is doomed from the start. "ok boomer" when we're talking about Millenials and Gen X parents. Responsible middle class people aren't your enemy. No need to say "fuck you got mine" in return. Both can be helped if we had progressive taxes, assisted college tuition with cost controls and offer a tapered relief to lower income folk that responsibly paid their debt off in recent years.

Struggling people bringing up policy questions aren't your enemy. They can be won over.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The system as is screwed him. Not fixing it screws everyone else. But what do you expect from the fuck you got mine generation?

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to make you feel bad or say you should've done something else. I'm just trying to explain that going into debt because it's your best option for a shot at a middle class life isn't a mistake.

I agree, it shouldn't really be a mistake. However, whenever you do borrow something, expect to pay it back in due time.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This is amazing hahahaha.

Anyways, EVERYONE benefits from an educated society and if people are not stuck in poverty forever. Why is a win from someone considered your loss? It's shortsighted and selfish on top of that.

Of course it's selfish, but it's not understandable?

Say the government said they were going to give 50 grand to half of the people, today, and they were going to decide by whether your address was an even or odd street number (let's give it to evens because I'm an even). That would benefit a lot of people, it would give money that would largely go back to the economy, and I think most people would genuinely feel good about giving it to those less fortunate than them.

It's the neighbor across the street who has the same house as you but now just got a free car out of it that you'll be upset about. Or the guy who's more well off than you who got the money. I mean, maybe you're the kind soul who doesn't care about any of that, and if so, I applaud you, but I can certainly understand the sentiment.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017

Say the government said they were going to give 50 grand to half of the people, today, and they were going to decide by whether your address was an even or odd street number (let's give it to evens because I'm an even). That would benefit a lot of people, it would give money that would largely go back to the economy, and I think most people would genuinely feel good about giving it to those less fortunate than them.

It's the neighbor across the street who has the same house as you but now just got a free car out of it that you'll be upset about. Or the guy who's more well off than you who got the money. I mean, maybe you're the kind soul who doesn't care about any of that, and if so, I applaud you, but I can certainly understand the sentiment.
Money is always being moved and spent in ways I definitely don't endorse. At the very least this is going to people who are legitimately screwed otherwise and not bailing out some company or funding Trump's golfing adventures.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was able to finish paying off my debts just last year not because I was screwed but because I got lucky. The system is fucked and forgiving this debt will help out the economy. Fuck the greedy ass people saying they got screwed just bc they didn't get help they didn't actually need.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This guy is 100% spot on. Making society better is absolutely unfair to everyone who had to grow up with a worse society.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I'm a recent retiree, and they want to lower the price of gas. What about me, who used to drive to work and now doesn't? Why are you helping people get to work now? I've been screwed!"

Oct 27, 2017

Envy is an emotion that will make you miserable.

Oct 27, 2017
Money is always being moved and spent in ways I definitely don't endorse. At the very least this is going to people who are legitimately screwed otherwise and not bailing out some company or funding Trump's golfing adventures.
This cuts to the heart of it. Worse programs get more money, like the military for example. Hand wringing over this issue sounds the same as when people worry about who's getting food stamps or other social welfare programs. People need the money. It's immoral to expect everyone else to drown because you managed to keep your head above water.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If Bernie or Warren managed to wipe out the student debt, would that include private school loans?
Private school debt is included. Warren isn't wiping out all student debt tho. There's a ceiling of $50k of debt. But she's the only who's going to do this via executive action via Dept. of Education regs.

If you have student loans, you can input numbers and info into this calculator to see how much of your debt would be canceled.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The thing to tell people like this is, yeah, sorry but you did get screwed, and if you want any positive change in that regard it is not coming from the Republicans.

Dec 12, 2017
I guarantee that if Warren instead decided to keep the student loan debt and just made college free, the tone in this thread would be very different.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again - why not offer people like this guy tax credits? His student loan suffering is equitable and 100% as valid as anyone's. It's just as powerful in terms of financial improvement and arguably better.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Just imagine how often this guy's said "life isn't fair" but can't come to grips with the spectre of debt forgiveness
Hahaha, you're probably so spot-on with this.

I would also love to hear his response if he was asked if he supports giving a tax credit to those like himself that paid off loans in the past. Then ask him if he supports reparations.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Again - why not offer people like this guy tax credits? His student loan suffering is equitable and 100% as valid as anyone's. It's just as powerful in terms of financial improvement and arguably better.

Probably because you would have to address the other 60+% of the population who have not attended college. Those people are going to view this as a tax.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I fear that student debt forgiveness will be a political loser. It's all fun and good to laugh at this guy but Warren and Sanders better make damn sure public sentiment* is on their side on this issue before touting it in the general.

*By public sentiment I'm talking about more than ERA posters and people that live on Twitter.

Davilmar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the proces of beginning to pay my student loans, on top of preparing to head back to school. Even if my loans are never forgiven, I am more than happy to see future generations paying reduced or no loans at all. Its a scam and a racket.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotally pretty common among personal finance forums and threads. And there have been numerous studies/articles over the years about how millenials who graduated around 2008 are financially lagging behind those who came before and after them.
fucking me fam. jesus 2008 was a baaaad year to graduate.