• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's your fault in how you didn't provide a good service to that particular customer but at the same time I completely understand why you did it op. Fuck this shitty ass system.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Customer service sucks. Yelling at the employee doesn't remedy the situation, all it does is make the employee feel like crap. Not gonna be the last time this happens OP, just try not to let it wear you down.

Oct 25, 2017
Why should any of that be my responsibility as a customer?

I would of course ask why the food is late, because I'd be annoyed that my food was late. If I hear that the food was late because the delivery person took another order and waited at a restaurant for 45 minutes, they're still getting 1 star. They're lucky I can't give them 0.
just go pick up your own food, stop being a jerk, and stop feeding your money into one of the most exploitative employment systems in modern america

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
OP I would curse you out too if my $90 bucks of food came cold. That is on you. I got no sympathy for people who should know better. You should have delivered that order first instead of risking delays. I would have given you a bad review and feedback on the app explaining the review

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
If the woman had tipped better, would you have bypassed the second order? I am just curious. I always tip really generously on these services as I know it sucks.

Oh absolutely. In that case I would never have accepted the add on. The most I have ever seen on an order that I would make was $20 for a few mile delivery. That includes the base pay and the tip from the customer. There is no way I would take an add on delivery if I had one like that. The longer the food sits, door dash will bump up the base pay. This is how $0 tip orders eventually get picked up. Both of these deliveries were for $9 each.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Isnt hollow all of I spent $90 on food and it showed up cold because someone AFTER me took priority.

Sorry if you don't like it.

Uhm, yeah, it sucks for you either way if you spent $90 on food and it showed up cold.

The point is that, when multitasking is straight up built into the job, your criticism should probably be more be specific than "but you multitasked."

Like, framing it as a choice the OP made in a vacuum as opposed to a choice he made according to the parameters of an incredibly exploitative job is just silly.

Oct 25, 2017
ya know. people really gotta learn. just because a system exists doesn't mean you have to view it as just or ethical. put yourself in the shoes of someone just barely getting by on minimum wage. you really gonna be ultra pissed? or just say, it's okay, I understand, this shit is not fair.

go look in a mirror damn

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh absolutely. In that case I would never have accepted the add on. The most I have ever seen on an order that I would make was $20 for a few mile delivery. That includes the base pay and the tip from the customer. There is no way I would take an add on delivery if I had one like that. The longer the food sits, door dash will bump up the base pay. This is how $0 tip orders eventually get picked up. Both of these deliveries were for $9 each.

This side discussion of tips is actually bumming me out because I just put in an order for $0 tip because I was planning to tip cash. Now I know I can't do that because drivers will deselect it! The system actually works against trying to tip cash.

Oct 28, 2018
Uhm, yeah, it sucks for you either way if you spent $90 on food and it showed up cold.

The point is that, when multitasking is straight up built into the job, your criticism should probably be more be specific than "but you multitasked."

Like, framing it as s choice the OP made in a vacuum as opposed to a choice he made according to the parameters of an incredibly exploitative job is just silly.

Thank you. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

Like, framing it as s choice the OP made in a vacuum as opposed to a choice he made according to the parameters of an incredibly exploitative job is just silly.

When food for 2nd customer wasn't ready OP should have inquired about how long it would be.

If it was 20 minutes or so then OP should have left.

Customer getting food 45 minutes after it was picked up can't be blamed on anyone but OP no matter how you try to frame it.

Job pays shit, yes, but food was late because OP made a choice for some extra $ and it ended up poorly.

Ubless OP states the 2nd order was mandated.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Want to put society on the path to capitalist hell?

There's an app for that.

This section of the Tech Industry is libertarian menace.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop using DoorDash.

Rating this one driver down might satisfy your personal frustration, but if the reason the driver failed is systemic rather than personal, which it almost certainly is (again, you never actually know what happened), your one star review literally changes nothing. DoorDash is not going to look at that and rethink their delivery algorithm, they're going to fire the driver. (Maybe. If the ratings are consistently poor. I don't want to freak out OP here.)
If I get consistently poor ratings at my job I would expect to lose it.

Driving for these delivery apps seems shitty and I don't envy the drivers -- but if I have a $90 order coming and I get a notification that my food has been picked up at the restaurant and it still doesn't arrive for nearly an hour, I'm rating that driver 1-star unless they have a damn good reason for delivering cold food to my gathering. Prioritizing another customer over me is not a damn good reason.

Oct 28, 2018
Did OP have to take it?

If the answer is "no" then it's on the OP.

The job of OP is to pick the food up and deliver it. The job of doordash and its thousands of engineers is to decide for OP what routes and which deliveries make the most sense. If they don't want to risk an order being late they shouldn't be recommending to OP to pick up that 2nd order.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
but I can see the distance and figure out how long it will take me to do the job before i accept it. I figured I could do this job and then hopefully get another one after to hit minimum wage for the hour. When given an add on it is a guarantee you will make more for the hour. Why would I not take a guarantee at more money when everything I'm shown on the app says it'll work out?
How much do they pay you for a $90 order? Does the customer get to choose how much to tip, and if so what is typical? Seems to me you'd only need about a 10% tip on that 1 order to make minimum wage for an hour, assuming DD pays you zero, and you probably have time left over to at least start another run. If you can deduct mileage at 59c per mile from your income taxes that's going to help a lot too at the end of the year.

It's strange that you still need to ask, "Why would I not take a guarantee of more money...", considering how many times this has been explained in the topic. It's only a guarantee in the very short term of that one night. It could lead to you losing the job, at which point around minimum wage is certainly higher than no wage. I assume a low rating also means DD will offer you fewer pickups. It seems logical to assume they'd offer pickups to higher rated drivers first.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Why should any of that be my responsibility as a customer?
I'm talking about as a human being, forget the capitalist dichotomy for a minute. By reducing another human being to one star you are potentially creating an issue for them that is likely not commensurate with getting some food late. I guess I'm coming at it like, say you've worked in a convenience store not making a lot of money, sometimes you get a rush and there's a line, maybe the pumps stop working, people get real pissed and angry at you. Now, you go to another store you don't work at and that's happening, but because you've been in that position you know the challenges and how things can go wrong, and you remember when it happened to you and people were pissed, so you're more relaxed about it. It's just human understanding and empathy. I'm not saying it extends indefinitely, there are certainly situations where it's warranted, but there's also times when someone maybe just made a mistake or is having one of those days, and especially when it's someone working at the behest of an industry that is fairly exploitative, I don't think it would hurt to say like "I'm not going to give them one star over this and mess their shit up, maybe I just won't rate them" or something.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
If I get consistently poor ratings at my job I would expect to lose it.

Driving for these delivery apps seems shitty and I don't envy the drivers -- but if I have a $90 order coming and I get a notification that my food has been picked up at the restaurant and it still doesn't arrive for nearly an hour, I'm rating that driver 1-star unless they have a damn good reason for delivering cold food to my gathering. Prioritizing another customer over me is not a damn good reason.

In other words, you don't envy the drivers, but you also have zero interest in making their lives easier. They were born to struggle and you were born to give one star reviews and that's how it is.

Capitalism!

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
This side discussion of tips is actually bumming me out because I just put in an order for $0 tip because I was planning to tip cash. Now I know I can't do that because drivers will deselect it! The system actually works against trying to tip cash.

they will still be super happy with cash tip. When I was just starting out on my first day and didn't know better, I took a $4 delivery for like 3 miles. It ended up being in an apartment complex, on the 3rd floor, and no elevator. $0 tip on the app and $0 cash tip. Just don't be like that guy lol

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I do this pretty much every time I order since the doordash tipping scandal came out. Gotten a few messed up orders (still tipped, didn't realize it was the wrong stuff from the right restaurant since I didn't make them stand there while I checked the food) but all of my orders get picked up, even if some of them are 10~ minutes later than the estimate.

When food for 2nd customer wasn't ready OP should have inquired about how long it would be.

If it was 20 minutes or so then OP should have left.

OP says he kept asking and kept getting told it was going to take just a few more minutes, iirc. The main point of breakdown seems to be that the restaurant wasn't more honest about the wait, which might have let OP make a more informed decision.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
OP I would curse you out too if my $90 bucks of food came cold. That is on you. I got no sympathy for people who should know better. You should have delivered that order first instead of risking delays. I would have given you a bad review and feedback on the app explaining the review
Please reconsider cursing out minimum wage service workers.

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ya know. people really gotta learn. just because a system exists doesn't mean you have to view it as just or ethical. put yourself in the shoes of someone just barely getting by on minimum wage. you really gonna be ultra pissed? or just say, it's okay, I understand, this shit is not fair.

go look in a mirror damn

This.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah fuck that, don't be a complete dick.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
How much do they pay you for a $90 order? Does the customer get to choose how much to tip, and if so what is typical? Seems to me you'd only need about a 10% tip on that 1 order to make minimum wage for an hour, assuming DD pays you zero, and you probably have time left over to at least start another run. If you can deduct mileage at 59c per mile from your income taxes that's going to help a lot too at the end of the year.

It's strange that you still need to ask, "Why would I not take a guarantee of more money...", considering how many times this has been explained in the topic. It's only a guarantee in the very short term of that one night. It could lead to you losing the job, at which point around minimum wage is certainly higher than no wage. I assume a low rating also means DD will offer you fewer pickups. It seems logical to assume they'd offer pickups to higher rated drivers first.

i made $9 total off of that $90 food order, the tip was $4 out of that $9. The other part is base pay which gets bumped up the more drivers decline to pick it up. Minimum wage is $12 here. I do keep track of my mileage with an app.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I once ordered $80 of fried chicken from a cult spot in Seattle- "Heaven Sent" and went to pick it up. They were literally bagging my order about fifteen minutes after I arrived- annoying but not the end of the world. They bagged and boxed everything and called me over to the pickup counter as they asked me which sauces I wanted- while this was going on a delivery driver from DoorDash showed up to pick up a big order- they were out of spicy because they gave me the last batch - then they turned to me, mumbled sorry and gave the door dash dude my entire order.

I hate them both now.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about as a human being, forget the capitalist dichotomy for a minute. By reducing another human being to one star you are potentially creating an issue for them that is likely not commensurate with getting some food late. I guess I'm coming at it like, say you've worked in a convenience store not making a lot of money, sometimes you get a rush and there's a line, maybe the pumps stop working, people get real pissed and angry at you. Now, you go to another store you don't work at and that's happening, but because you've been in that position you know the challenges and how things can go wrong, and you remember when it happened to you and people were pissed, so you're more relaxed about it. It's just human understanding and empathy. I'm not saying it extends indefinitely, there are certainly situations where it's warranted, but there's also times when someone maybe just made a mistake or is having one of those days, and especially when it's someone working at the behest of an industry that is fairly exploitative, I don't think it would hurt to say like "I'm not going to give them one star over this and mess their shit up, maybe I just won't rate them" or something.
People who are bad at their jobs should lose them. I'm fully aware that giving someone a 1-star review could lead to their termination.

I've also been fired before for poor performance. I imagine most of us have. You learn from it and moved on.

In other words, you don't envy the drivers, but you also have zero interest in making their lives easier. They were born to struggle and you were born to give one star reviews and that's how it is.

Capitalism!
My only interest in this scenario is getting my food delivered on time.

If you want to have a larger conversation about exploitative labor practices or whatever, that's another discussion.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I once ordered $80 of fried chicken from a cult spot in Seattle- "Heaven Sent" and went to pick it up. They were literally bagging my order about fifteen minutes after I arrived- annoying but not the end of the world. They bagged and boxed everything and called me over to the pickup counter as they asked me which sauces I wanted- while this was going on a delivery driver from DoorDash showed up to pick up a big order- they were out of spicy because they gave me the last batch - then they turned to me, mumbled sorry and gave the door dash dude my entire order.

I hate them both now.
What the fuck? That just seems so wrong on so many levels. Like, did the DoorDash person order your exact order as well?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I remember when I was in KFC the Deliveroo guys would sometimes be waiting twenty minutes for their order. And this was with the order coming through like ten minutes before they arrived. Most of them would just pick it up and go immediately if they could.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
i made $9 total off of that $90 food order, the tip was $4 out of that $9. The other part is base pay which gets bumped up the more drivers decline to pick it up. Minimum wage is $12 here. I do keep track of my mileage with an app.
Thanks for explaining. So if you can do that 1 pickup and drop-off in 45 minutes, that would be min wage for your area (not counting the potential tax benefits of offsetting your mileage against the income on your taxes). I assume 45 minutes is ample time for an order?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People who are bad at their jobs should lose them. I'm fully aware that giving someone a 1-star review could lead to their termination.

I've also been fired before for poor performance. I imagine most of us have. You learn from it and moved on.

If you want to have a larger conversation about exploitative labor practices or whatever, that's another discussion.
Empathy, what is it?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

Oh I thought the tip was $9. A $4 tip for $90 of food, god this whole thing sucks. People are always bitching about inequality but nobody wants to make even the smallest effort to take responsibility for their role in it and ease the burden for anyone else. I'm sorry but if you can only tip $4 on a $90 delivery tab for whatever reason, you are part of the problem and you shouldn't use the service.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017

The point is that they aren't separate discussions. The exploitative labor practices work the way they do because of people like you. If you want to change them, the first step is changing your behavior.

The decision was not made in a vacuum though.

Conversations like this remind me of Liz Bruenig's comment that the difference between liberalism and serfdom is that under liberalism it's the serf's fault for voluntarily agreeing to the contract that made them a serf.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017

I hate them both now.
I just laughed at your misfortune. Apologies, bro.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I thought the tip was $9. A $4 tip for $90 of food, god this whole thing sucks. People are always bitching about inequality but nobody wants to make even the smallest effort to take responsibility for their role in it and ease the burden for anyone else. I'm sorry but if you can only tip $4 on a $90 delivery tab for whatever reason, you are part of the problem and you shouldn't use the service.
For real, wtf kind of tip is that?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Had you heard about the DoorDash tipping scandal earlier this year? If not, look for it. Basically if people tipped more, the company was taking some or most of that, not the employee.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I hate them both now.
Fucking what

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I hate them both now.

What in holy hell is this?! And how did you respond to this BS? Tell me you gave them a holy Covenant glass whooping.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Empathy, what is it?
Empathy shouldn't be a shield against all criticism, especially when we're criticising a poor decision that led to a situation that could have easily been avoided.

Like, do better next time. That's why the feedback loop exists. If someone fucks up once, they're not going to lose their job over it. If someone continuously fucks up, they shouldn't be doing the job.

Hopefully OP does things differently next time. If they're repeatedly forced into this situation, they should look for a way to change employers.

Personally, I don't give bad reviews if there's a good reason for bad service. I was in an Uber recently where the driver's AC died halfway through the hour long ride in 100 degree heat. They got 5 stars from me because they did everything they could to make the ride as comfortable as possible. They took the fastest route that included tolls to make the ride short, they rolled down windows, they gave me water.

That's a bit different than waiting with my food in the car at a random restaurant for 45 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.