• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the Dragon Age segment. It reignited my urge to replay Inquisition as a elf. I played a Qunari the first time and that was not well integrated at all.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
That Dragon Age discussion (as well as the whole Friday pod itself) was amaaaazing. I dunno how anyone could dislike a classic moment like that. Like, for as much as I hate Dragon Age: Inquisition, that bit sold me on the idea of replaying it.

Also, props to Danielle for fighting the good fight.
TAKE OUR ENERGY
latest

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
That Dragon Age discussion (as well as the whole Friday pod itself) was amaaaazing. I dunno how anyone could dislike a classic moment like that. Like, for as much as I hate Dragon Age: Inquisition, that bit sold me on the idea of replaying it.
when natalie blurted out "okay um sO SOLAS CAN TRAVEL THROUGH TIME" in the middle of something unrelated i had to pause the podcast i was laughing so hard. i had coincidentally just reread a wiki to remind me of everything that went down before listening to that episode so the discussion was extra hilarious for me

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i still have this weird torch where i want to play through dragon age games for the lore despite not really remembering anything about dragon age 1 other than your best buddy being Xander with a knight, some sexy lady, and everybody racist against elves

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
i still have this weird torch where i want to play through dragon age games for the lore despite not really remembering anything about dragon age 1 other than your best buddy being Xander with a knight, some sexy lady, and everybody racist against elves
And DA2 was "Don't be racist against magic users, they won't all become demo -- oh, they all became demons."

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
And DA2 was "Don't be racist against magic users, they won't all become demo -- oh, they all became demons."
like, literally every mage you encounter (and even potentially yourself) uses blood magic, consorts with and/or is possessed by demons, or commits literal acts of terrorism
only your sister (if she's alive) and one other guy don't

it's kind of amazing

there is some hinted "kirkwall's streets were designed in the shape of magic runes and that's led to magical instability" stuff but they don't go into it at all

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
like, literally every mage you encounter (and even potentially yourself) uses blood magic, consorts with and/or is possessed by demons, or commits literal acts of terrorism

it's kind of amazing

there is some hinted "kirkwall's streets were designed in the shape of magic runes and that's led to magical instability" stuff but they don't go into it at all
Huh, I vaguely remember that. I guess if that's supposed to be some greater intrigue in the background that would kinda be interesting if they went for it, but that's beyond what that game was capable of, having to reuse all their dungeons and all that.

Oct 25, 2017

it's kind of amazing

I only remember it being referenced in the codex entry. They should have made a bigger deal about it to explain all the mages, especially Orsino, being dumbasses.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
this thread seems a likely location

i'm trying to find an image of a cross stitch which is a reference to an adventure game puzzle about cat hair. It says something like "Honey on the ? makes a moustache". I remembered it was mentioned on Idle Thumbs once.

Anyone know what the fuck I'm talking about? I'm fairly certain i didn't lucid dream this.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

i'm trying to find an image of a cross stitch which is a reference to an adventure game puzzle about cat hair. It says something like "Honey on the ? makes a moustache". I remembered it was mentioned on Idle Thumbs once.

Anyone know what the fuck I'm talking about? I'm fairly certain i didn't lucid dream this.
17k7sc07z65zijpg.jpg

It's probably a reference to an infamous adventure game puzzle in Gabriel Knight 3.

Can't find any cross-stitch thing related to it in my limited googling, though.

Oct 25, 2017
What if I told you Dragon Age is just shitty KotOR
Love Kotor, but DA: Origins edges out Kotor for not having such binary roleplaying options.

17k7sc07z65zijpg.jpg

It's probably a reference to an infamous adventure game puzzle in Gabriel Knight 3.

Can't find any cross-stitch thing related to it in my limited googling, though.
I found the image of what could be the cross stitch here.

Said it was posted via idlethumbs but the link is broken.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I have not played kotor 1 in many, many years but even in my memory it comes off as a little flat compared to kotor 2, DA, and ME

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I feel like KotOR1 is probably Bioware's tightest story, second only to Baldur's Gate 1/2. KotOR2 (with the fan patch) is a lot better, but DAO and ME just feel like hollow attempts to recapture that same feeling. Star Wars and D&D are the two settings where binary morality systems work; and for as much as DAO tried to put players in no-win scenarios, it still had a lot of binary morality at play.

Though real talk, the Witcher 1 has the best story of any of the Bioware-like games. In spite of its faults, it still manages to paint an ambiguous morality with no right answers, and a story matching that ambition. Obsidian's takes are all way more interesting, but I feel like CD Projekt are the ones to really hit the biggest home run (and I'm talking strictly about the first Witcher game here) with the Bioware formula.

Still blows my mind that Witcher 1 is based on Bioware's Neverwinwter Nights 1 engine--the Aurora engine. It's amazing how pivotal that forgotten Bioware game really is to the genre.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, I feel like KotOR1 is probably Bioware's tightest story, second only to Baldur's Gate 1/2. KotOR2 (with the fan patch) is a lot better, but DAO and ME just feel like hollow attempts to recapture that same feeling. Star Wars and D&D are the two settings where binary morality systems work; and for as much as DAO tried to put players in no-win scenarios, it still had a lot of binary morality at play.

Though real talk, the Witcher 1 has the best story of any of the Bioware-like games. In spite of its faults, it still manages to paint an ambiguous morality with no right answers, and a story matching that ambition. Obsidian's takes are all way more interesting, but I feel like CD Projekt are the ones to really hit the biggest home run (and I'm talking strictly about the first Witcher game here) with the Bioware formula.

Still blows my mind that Witcher 1 is based on Bioware's Neverwinwter Nights 1 engine--the Aurora engine. It's amazing how pivotal that forgotten Bioware game really is to the genre.

Storywise the Witcher 1 is the best of the bunch, i agree. Especially the main conflict is something you rarely see exectued that well. Even CDPR haven't really replicated it again.

With mechanics i mostly meant everything aside from that though. The combat, the way choices work, the companion interactions etc. I don't feel that Kotor is a super strong game mechanically.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Storywise the Witcher 1 is the best of the bunch, i agree. Especially the main conflict is something you rarely see exectued that well. Even CDPR haven't really replicated it again.

With mechanics i mostly meant everything aside from that though. The combat, the way choices work, the companion interactions etc. I don't feel that Kotor is a super strong game mechanically.
Oh yeah, I don't disagree with that. I think I got caught up in my own tangent there; I have a bad habit of editing and then losing what I was trying to say initially.

But, yeah. All of Bioware's post-Baldur's Gate games are varying degrees of shaky in terms of mechanics, I think. Dragon Age in particular just got worse with every iteration, getting kneecapped in scope in Origins, then in encounters in 2, and finally in how it fundamentally worked in Inquisition. Mass Effect 3 is probably the most solid of the bunch, if only because of how much the multiplayer lets it shine.

Like, man, back in the Witcher 1 days, I remember thinking Witcher 1's combat was a huge improvement on Bioware's attempt at real-time combat with Neverwinter Nights 1 or Jade Empire... what a time to be alive.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Witcher 1 is absolutely the best story wise of the three Witcher games and would have been the one I would say is the best of the RPGs was emulating Bioware's formula (that started with kotoR) until I had played Kotor2 for the first time last year and was absolutely shook and blown away by it. God Kotor2 was great.

Also I won't hear slander against Origins in relation to Kotor1. I found Kotor1 a largely boring game that was just written around its twist and not much more.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Witcher 3 has the best story by the length of three Roaches

Like, it's not even close

Also it's not slander when it's true re: Dragon Age and KotOR

Come @ me but don't @ me

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like I'm a minority but I enjoy the podcast heavy approach. The latest waypoints was quite interesting to listen to. I will say it sucks that it's at the cost of other stuff even if I didn't really ever catch the streams because timezones.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way. I consume the podcast content much more readily than anything else they do simply because I have much more time passively listen to podcasts rather than watching/reading.

Oct 25, 2017
While I do miss the Stellaris streams, I am able to better keep up with their content now that they've moved to more podcasts. I have a long drive to work and can listen to the podcasts there too. I would always miss their live streams and only had time to watch them long after they were uploaded.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These Waypoints episodes have really taken a left turn (pun intended) into drive-bys of other podcasts lately. It's a little too meta for my taste but I would love if they had the perspective and humour to review an episode of Waypoint in the same manner sometime..

Still feels like such a nebulous concept for a podcast/strand. For all the issues I have with 101s at least they have clear guiding principles.

patriciodcj

Oct 25, 2017
Bäregrabe
These Waypoints episodes have really taken a left turn (pun intended) into drive-bys of other podcasts lately. It's a little too meta for my taste but I would love if they had the perspective and humour to review an episode of Waypoint in the same manner sometime..

I agree that notably the latest waypoints podcast was very meta with topics I don't really care about, but they still managed to make it an enjoyable listening experience for me. Though American Football sounds like a horrible sport. I don't get why they still follow it, to me that sport seems antithetical to what Waypoint stands for.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that notably the latest waypoints podcast was very meta with topics I don't really care about, but they still managed to make it an enjoyable listening experience for me. Though American Football sounds like a horrible sport. I don't get why they still follow it, to me that sport seems antithetical to what Waypoint stands for.
As someone who used to very much love football, I don't get it either. I was able to let it go. Too much shit on many, many levels. Even casual levels.

At the same time, I guess it's alright anyway. I can't really fault people for enjoying something I morally can't get down with anymore.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I lurv college football but I'm not blind to the problems there that are if anything even greater than at the pro level. I also love boxing. I think it's possible to appreciate a sport without agreeing with it economically or politically. It's an escape.

Oct 25, 2017
I lurv college football but I'm not blind to the problems there that are if anything even greater than at the pro level. I also love boxing. I think it's possible to appreciate a sport without agreeing with it economically or politically. It's an escape.
There's a point where I felt like I was contributing too much, so I just dropped it. I also love boxing. But yeah. Everyone has a different threshold. Ain't no thing.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like one of things Waypoint "stands for" is finding a way to engage with problematic things.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I'm kind of grateful that they can at least acknowledge their issues with football and take time to do so where a lot of others don't. I'm kind of in the same boat, though, it's exhausting the amount of shit that surrounds football and I've really lost much of my interest in it over the past maybe three years. There are a lot of good people in the game, though, and it's good that they get supported, and I come from Kansas City, a place which really lacks any sort of identity unless the Chiefs/Royals are good, so I suppose that's valuable for something.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with folks above that I just get a little uncomfortable with the amount of time they have spent talking about football and the nfl. There are so many topics they avoid because they are problematic that the amount of time they have spent on it is kind of baffling.

On top of that, I do not know what waypoints audience breakdown is, but I assume a large number of listeners probabaly don't care to listen to long conversations about the nfl.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree with folks above that I just get a little uncomfortable with the amount of time they have spent talking about football and the nfl. There are so many topics they avoid because they are problematic that the amount of time they have spent on it is kind of baffling.

On top of that, I do not know what waypoints audience breakdown is, but I assume a large number of listeners probabaly don't care to listen to long conversations about the nfl.

Like, if they have an interest in it why would they avoid it?

I never got the sense they avoid topics at all. It's almost Waypoint's mission statement to engage with issues. I think avoiding talking about something because it isn't perfect is an incredibly weak approach.

In fact if Waypoint have a problem it's that they tackle too many topics, or that they're too ready to find a 'problematic' angle with everything.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
In fact if Waypoint have a problem it's that they tackle too many topics, or that they're too ready to find a 'problematic' angle with everything.
That last part is generally what I go to Waypoint for, I prefer them actually complicating and critically examining media rather than the kinda shallow inverse you get out of a lot of other gaming/media outlets. At this point WPR is one of maybe three gaming podcasts I still listen to because they have a tendency to problematize instead of shying away from doing so

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually caught up on a decent amount of their recent podcasting this week. Not sure what prompted that; good podcast games, I guess. The football thing was kinda w/e for me but they were specifically talking about a documentary, even, not just the sport itself.

I also find it kinda funny to see them discussing other podcasts critically as being weird; they're media too and the discussions were interesting. Last week's one was amusing because those songs sound horrible, and this week's had some good old justified anger and went into their history with politics and some pretty formative stuff in their lives. And frankly it also showed me Patrick's moved a bit further left than I'd thought, which was nice to see.

in conclusion: why the heck is it called a rewatch podcast when most if not everyone involved is watching the thing for the first time, huh

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
There is no Idle Thumbs topic (cuz they've been away for a long time) but I know some of you folks like 'em, so here: (Fuck) Nick Breckon has been playing Far Cry 2 for like four hours. Not sure how much longer he's gonna go.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That last part is generally what I go to Waypoint for, I prefer them actually complicating and critically examining media rather than the kinda shallow inverse you get out of a lot of other gaming/media outlets. At this point WPR is one of maybe three gaming podcasts I still listen to because they have a tendency to problematize instead of shying away from doing so

And I fully accept it's what sets them apart from a lot of gaming coverage. It just can become trying to listen to a lot of the time.

I prefer something like the Beastcast that is more jokey but can get serious when something really warrants it. It feels like a better balance to my ears. Gaming is a job for these guys and gals but for most of us it's escapism and the level of tolerance for forensically picking apart things in the manner Waypoint do might be a lot lower than they assume it is. I feel like it's a philosophical problem but it manefests as a functional one when I avoid listening to Waypoint as a junk food podcast like I do with the Beastcast or even a very dry tech podcast like Accidental Tech Podcast. I'd geneuinely describe Waypoint as the toughest listen of any of the podcasts I am subscribed to. It doesn't really benefit Waypoint by missing out on listens from people who would describe themselves as their fans.

But, different strokes for different folks. I just wonder if there really is enough of an appetite for the house Waypoint style to be sustainable.