NativeTongue

Oct 4, 2023
NYC
I can't believe this is the fantasy series Hollywood has gone all in on. Isn't like 75% of the Middle Earth stuff just his son compiling manuscripts that were never finished?

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
The Hunt for Gollum is a story primarily following Aragorn and some Gandalf thrown in. Gollum wouldn't be as present as people immediately think. Similar to how Sauron is "The Lord of The Rings" in the title but rarely a visible presence, more just the catalyst for the events.

Pepsimaaan

Oct 20, 2023
Who they cast as young Aragorn will be crucial. Sir McKellen isn't getting any younger either so a suitable "young Gandalf" might be needed too.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be great if this was set after the original trilogy and the hunters just can't figure out why they can't seem to track him down.

NickHyde

Oct 26, 2017
Yeeeah doubt this will be interesting, the only interest I have in new lotr content at this point is that it probably allows Asmodee to reprint and/or hopefully make more of the LotR LCG game.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
i genuinely don't understand why these companies keep banking on gollum as this marketable character (that game from a couple years ago had failure written all over it, even before we knew it was bad)
gollum hasn't been popular in the mainstream since like 2007
no one cares about gollum lol

This is where I'm at with it

I'm getting "Solo" vibes from this. An event loosely mentioned in the core movie trilogy fleshed out into something nobody was really dying to see.

The problem with LOTR as a "franchise" is that it has a pretty definitive happy ending. So your only choices are canon prequels or 4th age fan fiction. On a personal level, I always vastly prefer the tension of moving the story forward along a timeline because you don't really know what will happen.

For me, the Hobbit trilogy already explored the events of the later 3rd age that I was most interested in and it just didn't turn out very well.

Plus my secret shame is that I vastly enjoyed the half of Two Towers dealing with the Aragorn, Gandalf, the battles, etc. over the second half which was just Frodo and Sam's journey. So more Gollum isn't what I'm looking for at all here.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Is Serkis going to do all the mocap again? Serkis is 60 now. Not that 60 is old, but Gollum is a pretty acrobatic guy, crawling, rolling and jumping around. Maybe he'll just do the voice?

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
I'm still bummed that the doors are opening to pre-Hobbit middle-earth content but we aren't getting anything set in the early/mid-third age detailing the fall of Arnor and the war with Angmar.
This would be taking place between the two trilogies. But yea I would much rather see all that.

Actually wouldn't this be happening right in the events of FotR, after Bilbo leaves and Gandalf goes off to find out about the ring?

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I wonder if they'll try and get Viggo and Ian back, despite their ages. They were hunting Gollum.

Please no. The only way to make something like this work is truly embrace it as much as possible as something new. As soon as you are like "yooooo these people you loved who are now like 20+ older are back and playing characters even younger than they were the first time you saw them!!" it just devolves.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
So I'm not a big lord of the rings guy but will this be after or before the original trilogy?
Its set at the start of Fellowship. When Bilbo gets the ring in The Hobbit, he lies to everyone about getting it, and what it does, including Gandalf. Bilbo does eventually tell Gandalf about how he got the ring, but neither of them know that its the "one ring" at this point. Then at the start of Fellowship, after Bilbo's party, Gandalf gets suspicious about the ring and its true nature, so he gets Aragorn to help him track down Gollum.

Its also important to note that in the books there is a 19 year gap between the party at the start of Fellowship and when Frodo and friends leave the shire.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
While it was an incredible performance by Serkis, Gollum as a character isn't really all that interesting outside LoTR.

Not like I care about this franchise that much outside of the Jackson LoTR films, but surely there is way more material to use for a new movie than Gollum.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
"Yesssss, Precious. The time has come once more to venture into the unknown with my dear friends, the extraordinary and incomparable guardians of Middle-earth Peter, Fran and Philippa," added Serkis. "With Mike and Pam, and the Warner Bros team on the quest as well, alongside WETA and our film making family in New Zealand, it's just all too delicious… ."

I am begging you please stop writing press releases like this

I could've sworn that it came from a Onion-esque site, how is that a real press release

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
PJ makes great movies.

I'm in. Day 1.

Even the rushed Hobbit movies were great IMO. Haters gonna hate. I loved them.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
De-aging does work for an entire movie, as we saw with Samuel L Jackson in Captain Marvel, so Viggo could in theory play a younger Aragorn. Ian is my concern with his age.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando Bloom putting his wig on in the mirror as a single tear falls down his face

"One more time into the breach"

Oct 26, 2017
War of the Rohirrim actually sounds interesting, as an animated movie written by Philippa Boyens, about the most interesting people in the story.

This needs a ton of work to be worth anything.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
found him
dlSXhjn.png

edit: curse you Voytek!!!

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Feels like a big red button they had to push to make money.

I'm fine. Could be great. Hopefully at least Ian comes back.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
this one is a very interesting period in the third age that's not covered. they can do a lot of fun in the story, especially since Aragorn enters Moria alone in the past and refuses to elaborate.

The Hunt for Gollum is a story primarily following Aragorn and some Gandalf thrown in. Gollum wouldn't be as present as people immediately think. Similar to how Sauron is "The Lord of The Rings" in the title but rarely a visible presence, more just the catalyst for the events.

how dare you be reasonable, let people have their knee jerk reactions.

septentrion2

Apr 11, 2023
Couple of notes for Mr. Serkis:

compared to previous works, in this new film, Gollum should be louder and angrier.
Also, any time that Gollum is not on-screen, all of the other characters should be asking "Where's Gollum?"

Best of luck.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
The only thing interesting about Gollum as a character is his journey into Mordor with Frodo and Sam, wavering back and forth between the hint of a redemption and his natural instinct towards betrayal. Jackson already captured that, extensively, in LOTR.

Outside of that Gollum is just a plot device. He exists to show that Bilbo isn't helpless on his own, and to get him the ring. If that's how they'll use him in this film, then fine. Gollum essentially as a MacGuffin could work. I just hope they don't try to make him too central to the story, there's just nothing there.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sick of big epic tales, give me a quiet slice of life in the shire where the biggest crises is someone ate the pies intended for a contest or some hijinks around some festival pranks or something.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still extremely confused why neither Amazon or WB were able to outbid the fucking Embracer group for the middle-earth rights. Now we are stuck with desperate content like this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing interesting about Gollum as a character is his journey into Mordor with Frodo and Sam, wavering back and forth between the hint of a redemption and his natural instinct towards betrayal. Jackson already captured that, extensively, in LOTR.

Outside of that Gollum is just a plot device. He exists to show that Bilbo isn't helpless on his own, and to get him the ring. If that's how they'll use him in this film, then fine. Gollum essentially as a MacGuffin could work. I just hope they don't try to make him too central to the story, there's just nothing there.

Exactly. There is no more story worth telling here.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
I read the silmarillion every year and I literally could not care any less for this movie. There's troves of interesting material that they probably can't get their hands on to film, so they chose this.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Really, really hope they don't try to make this more 'epic' and lengthy than it needs to be like they did with the unfortunate Hobbit films. But in 2024 I have serious doubts.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ah so more of an Aragorn movie? Wouldn't surprise me if they change the title before release to reflect that

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
WB just keeps making these colossally dumb decisions. A Gollum-focused movie is going to go over about as well as the Gollum game did.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I get that Capitalism and all that but I really wish we could let some things fade away on their own instead of milking them until the end of days.
Agreed

I hate to say it but I am actively hoping this does poorly.

I hope all the workers involved get paid and all that, but this trend of completely extracting every last creative drop out of a property with diminishing returns needs to end and the only way that will happen is sustained failure.

So many great fantasy novels Hollywood could adapt instead of milking properties with uninspired products

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Not gonna lie, I had plenty of Gollum in all the movies already. I don't crave for any more.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
iirc this was (one of) the original plan(s) for the Hobbit films under under Del Toro. You'd have the story of the Hobbit, you'd then have a film focussing on Aragorn and Gandalf hunting for Gollum to lead into LOTR. Viggo Mortensen was still about not-too-old to play the role back then.

In theory it's a nice way to delve into Aragorn's past and set up his Kingly lineage... could keep it a fairly lean hunt movie set in Middle Earth... but after The Hobbit I can only associate this franchise with bloat rather than the B-movie-esque romp such a film would need to be.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. There is no more story worth telling here.
There is a lot of interesting content you could put in to it. Putting together a cohesive narrative is the bigger issue.

Return of the Witch King
Sauron's Resurgence in Mordor
Ties in to Aragorns Numenor bloodline
Post Battle of the Five Armies Dale/Erebor
Sauron's starting to search for the Ring
More on Isildur/Fall of Gondor etc

Basically all the cool stuff PJ cut from the Council of Elrond Chapter because he thought it was boring.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Counterpoint: The Hobbit is all about a Hobbit