DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible idea. Even if it were to focus on Aragorn and Gandalf, you'd have to recast them both.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
In interviews, he's specifically said that he really wanted to do the Silmarillion and they gave him the Hobbit instead.
That would have been over a decade ago, and I doubt the shitshow that was that trilogies' production would have made things any better. You have to figure there's a reason he doesn't make many big budget movies anymore.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
That would have been over a decade ago, and I doubt the shitshow that was that trilogies' production would have made things any better. You have to figure there's a reason he doesn't make many big budget movies anymore.

Yeah, though I feel like if they offered him the project he always wanted to make, there'd be a greater chance of him going for it. Hopefully that offer would include giving him several years of prep time.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would rather have seen them tackle the northern front of the war if they could. There's ways to even keep the scale subdued.

There's some angles they can play on here, but it's just an uninspired framing.

Terrible idea. Even if it were to focus on Aragorn and Gandalf, you'd have to recast them both.
Idk how people can want IPs being taken out of the iron grips from companies if reasonable recasting is always treated as a bridge to far.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, Middle-Earth and a fast pre-production always work. Does nobody in the studio consider that the creative team spent years on the LotR preproduction before they started filming?

On a more serious note, I enjoy how much capitalism wants to make LotR a massive franchise and it just won't. Hopefully the estate keeps the rights on the Silmarillion for as long as they can so I'll be dead before they can make a botched version of that.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Would rather have seen them tackle the northern front of the war if they could. There's ways to even keep the scale subdued.

There's some angles they can play on here, but it's just an uninspired framing.

Idk how people can want IPs being taken out of the iron grips from companies if reasonable recasting is always treated as a bridge to far.

Tell a story in some other time period.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
With PJ as a producer and Serkis directing i am optimistic!

I would certainly prefer Angmar wars or Kin-strife movies in Gondor but it seems WB wanted a safe first step back into ME , PJ said years ago he wanted to make "bridge" movie between Hobbit and LOTR and it seems Serkis wanted this as well.

Fingers crossed!

Your thoughts Edmond Dantès ?

P.S. What worries me is that the whole thing seems a casting nightmare...

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
Huh, for some reason I thought that project was axed and this one was a new effort.
No this is the first of the 3 they announced back then.

I've seen no firm evidence of that, just hearsay from FOF and NotR and other YouTubers etc.
True, but IMO it's fairly solid read on the situation. We know they don't have access to the Silmarillion as part of the deal and there were 100% elements from the book in the show.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
It would be kind of cool if it had Viggo, Billy, Dom, and Liv just sitting around a fire or something in Minas Tirith and Aragorn is recounting his story of hunting for Gollum to them. It would be many, many years after the events of LOTR so the age differences wouldn't matter for the present day.

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
I wish Peter would get the 4Ks of his first three films finished and released instead of continually taking on new projects. Its been six years since they were announced.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not liking the prospect of new Lord of The Rings movies just telling stories from in or around or just before the original trilogy. It gives me flashes of Star Wars trying to fill in every little space of time within the Skywalker Saga instead of moving to a new era.

Yes, I know that these stories were in the books. But you know what else were books? The Silmarillion, The Children of Hurin, Unfinished Tales. You don't have the rights? Then fucking buy them!

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
It would be kind of cool if it had Viggo, Billy, Dom, and Liv just sitting around a fire or something in Minas Tirith and Aragorn is recounting his story of hunting for Gollum to them. It would be many, many years after the events of LOTR so the age differences wouldn't matter for the present day.
It might be a problem with Liv Tyler

Jan 20, 2024
This reminds me a lot of that Gollum game no one wanted or asked for.

I get the whole doubling down on established IP's for short term cash grabs, but they're are so, so many better stories in history of Middle Earth than, well, a hunt for Gollum. And with Jackson at the helm, you know he's gonna find a way to shoehorn in Legolas doing some awful CGI nonsense.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not liking the prospect of new Lord of The Rings movies just telling stories from in or around or just before the original trilogy. It gives me flashes of Star Wars trying to fill in every little space of time within the Skywalker Saga instead of moving to a new era.

Yes, I know that these stories were in the books. But you know what else were books? The Silmarillion, The Children of Hurin, Unfinished Tales. You don't have the rights? Then fucking buy them!
Well the difference I suppose is we have the source material from Tolkien to go on, if they shoe horn in a hunch of new stuff then yeah…

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
With PJ as a producer and Serkis directing i am optimistic!

I would certainly prefer Angmar wars or Kin-strife movies in Gondor but it seems WB wanted a safe first step back into ME , PJ said years ago he wanted to make "bridge" movie between Hobbit and LOTR and it seems Serkis wanted this as well.

Fingers crossed!

Your thoughts Edmond Dantès ?

P.S. What worries me is that the whole thing seems a casting nightmare...
I'm cautiously optimistic considering the talent involved. The dearth of actual Tolkien writngs that this wil be based on is a concern and may end up been glorified fan-fiction. The casting decisions will be key as well having an excellent script and filming locations.

That title sounds like a parody. Like they just asked an AI to come up with fake Lord of the Rings titles.
The title has already been done in 2009 with the fanmade film, which is actually quite respected in the Tolkien community.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
Is it because of her being an elf? I was on the fence about that one, but since she gave up her elven immortality to be "human", wouldn't she also age and it show? I'm not 100% sure about it.
I thought the deal was that she wouldn't age but would die soon after Aragorn died. I realise now that was almost entirely based on the fact that she's looks the same in Elrond's vision of the future in TTT, so I might be incorrect. Either way de aging tech would sort it, Liv is still fairly well put together.

For a second I thought this was satire on how the LOTR 4Ks are (in a way) underwhelming 2K upscales.
I can't say that's a sentiment I have seen very often. The 4K transfers maybe ere on the safe side a little but it's a significant upgrade on the blu rays. Also the Dolby Atmos soundtracks are utterly stunning.

Last edited:

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Is "The Hunt for Gollum" meant to suggest that this film takes place between The Hobbit and Fellowship when Gandalf and Aragorn and the forces of Mordor are trying to find Gollum to find out what he knows about the ring and it's whereabouts? I can't imagine a Gollum prequel being very interesting.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
I did not mean it in terms of quality, but rather of all the infinite possibilities of storytelling we find ourselves …. Here
Yea I suppose that's fair enough

Is "The Hunt for Gollum" meant to suggest that this film takes place between The Hobbit and Fellowship when Gandalf and Aragorn and the forces of Mordor are trying to find Gollum to find out what he knows about the ring and it's whereabouts? I can't imagine a Gollum prequel being very interesting.
It wouldn't even take place between the Hobbit and LotR, it would take place inbetween the first few chapters of FotR.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
You played Gollum: The Game...

From the producers of Battle of the 5 Armies...

Gollum: The Movie

PS_Snake

Jun 11, 2023
I'm tepid with excitement for this. I adore the original trilogy but I didn't like the Hobbit ones at all. A Gollum centric film isn't really that enticing and neither is Andy Serkis directing. The latter is a huge red flag to me. Happy Jackson and Walsh are involved though; just hope they have plenty of prep-time.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon and WB doing their own LOTR projects feels like a Sony/Disney situation to me.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
ih0pqjgp4a2b1.png