skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
honestly doesn't sound like the worst thing. certainly not the best thing but seems like an anti-Hobbit Trilogy approach where it's a one off deal, hey here's more LOTR take it or leave it. which I wanted The Hobbit to be more or less be

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
I trust PJ, he open heartedly admitted what went wrong with The Hobbit so no need to beat the dead horse. After witnessing certain gargantuan failure which he was not involved with I'm cool with anything coming from PJ's team. This one feels like a safer first step I hope it will be the first of many great projects.

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Define "new batch of LotR films?" To announce this during an "earnings call" and detail it as "a significant opportunity for theatrical business." I'm thinking it's a safe guess that WB is about to run LotR into the ground like Disney did with Star Wars and the MCU. Oh well.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Define "new batch of LotR films?" To announce this during an "earnings call" and detail it as "a significant opportunity for theatrical business." I'm thinking it's a safe guess that WB is about to run LotR into the ground like Disney did with Star Wars and the MCU. Oh well.
These companies are obsessed with the idea of these IPs being "always on" and it's only going to get worse from here.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
How is it that they announced a new slate of movies that aren't even written yet and we still don't have a single teaser for The War of the Rohirrim which is coming out this year?! I wanna see the animation!

Oct 27, 2017
Hey wait a minute...

I'm cautiously optimistic considering the talent involved. The dearth of actual Tolkien writngs that this wil be based on is a concern and may end up been glorified fan-fiction. The casting decisions will be key as well having an excellent script and filming locations.

The title has already been done in 2009 with the fanmade film, which is actually quite respected in the Tolkien community.

I saw a copy that in a bootleg DVD store I went to like 10 years ago and though it was some low effort Hong Kong bootleg or whatever lol.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017

Wow..

tHhyQBC.png

Guess they didn't want that fan film around anymore since they decided to announce this movie.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
huh

anyone familiar enough with what this will be then?

So I'm not a big lord of the rings guy but will this be after or before the original trilogy?

Going by the title, it would be set during the trilogy. Between Gandalf giving Bilbo the side-eye for not yet having left The Ring to Frodo and him coming back years later to throw the ring into Frodo's fireplace to get the final confirmation that it IS The One Ring.

In the books that's something like 20 years. Gandalf spends those years trying to find Gollum so he can get him to tell how and where he got The Ring. Aragorn helps him find Gollum. This is also the same timeframe as the conflict with Dol Guldur and the sorcerer which later turns out to have been Sauron in hiding.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I know Discovery/WB is in belt tightening mode so I have a great suggestion David Zaslav, you can save a TON of money if you make this movie just using the video game Gollum. Its extremely highly rated by critics and fans (trust me, you don't need to go look it up) and you will get cinematic masterpieces like this if you piece together a 2 hour movie just capturing video from the game

960x0.png

OskarXCI

Banned
Nov 11, 2018
I'm cautiously optimistic. It's good that Jackson is just one of the producers this time around, like he originally wanted for The Hobbit.

I hope they at least recast Gandalf. Ian is too old to do any more physically demanding role. As for Aragorn, they will need a lot of makeup to make him look as young as he did in 1999-2000.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Hunt for Gollum? The fuck? Who is asking for more about Gollum? Give us an animated version of the 1st age. I want the fall of gondolin!

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
WB, you tried to make Suicide Squad a thing and it didn't work.

Stop trying to make Golum a thing.🧐

I continue to be way more hyped for Rings of Power s2.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
The Hunt for Gollum is such a funny name. Straight up 'Space Balls 2: The Search for More Money'.

Fiddler

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many stories to adapt, so many characters to explore... yet they choose to adapt something i think nobody asked for...
Next we get a movie about Bilbos childhood

Db82

Mar 4, 2024
Uhhh I think we know where Gollum is right now after the end of the Peter Jackson's trilogy.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
"Shire! Baggins!"

*Lords of the Rings Theme Remix plays as credits roll*

Everyone: "A revelation, a triumph!"

I loved that Gandalf interrogation scene, goosebumps!

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Why the wishy washy thing from the estate? Either go in on adaptations or don't bother.😤
Different companies have different rights to various aspects of Tolkien's work. The estate has always been very protective of that sort of thing. They can't use anything they don't already have access to. Warner Brothers has access to film rights of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. My understanding of the situation (and it is admittedly a very messy situation) is that if it's not derived from those two books, they cannot use it. So they don't have access to the First or Second Age content that Amazon does for their TV Show rights, for example. That's why all the movies coming out are tied in some way to something we've seen before, that's legally all they can really do.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that has me optimistic about this is Serkis. He's incredibly talented. Otherwise I can't say I'm all that interested in revisiting Middle Earth when the Lord of the Rings was basically perfect.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Eh, I guess I'll watch it, but I could do without.

As far as I know, War of the Rohirrim isn't CG animated, but rather traditional 2D animation.
That is correct. But we have yet to see anything from the film at all. I think they showed a couple of art boards for it and that's it.

The producer is known to be a big fan of traditional anime production and works with the Japanese studios closely on other projects though, so I'm trying to be hopeful.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
And there was me hoping for Tom Bombadil the movie... Slightly creepy, hat wearing very old man, living in the woods with a super hot, young wife. I mean come on...

Gollum can fuck off. Seriously not interested in any more him thank you 😭

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
found him
dlSXhjn.png

edit: curse you Voytek!!!
Stealing this lol

I for one am super pumped! The fact that the original team is on bord makes me very positive about this, also it's not a direct "sequel" or whatever, so what can go wrong? Even if the movie's weak like the majority of Hobbit movies, it won't "destroy the franchise" or anyone's love for the original. And if it's good, then hey, more LOTR stuff!

Very excited!

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Coming soon to a theater near you...

Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!

An untold story from visionary writer J.R.R. Tolkien...

Ring a dong! hop along! Fal lal the willow!

A musical experience like nothing you've ever seen before...

Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!

Some call him mad. Others call him savior. You can call him...

BOMBADIL

Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow!

Day one.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
I haven't seen the LOTR 4K yet (waiting for the right day to veg out and marathon them) but that sucks to hear they aren't quite what they could have been.
I don't know what that poster was on about. They were VERY well received.

And there was me hoping for Tom Bombadil the movie... Slightly creepy, hat wearing very old man, living in the woods with a super hot, young wife. I mean come on...

Gollum can fuck off. Seriously not interested in any more him thank you 😭
If the RoP season 2 leaks were real, you will be seeing more of him than you ever wanted.

They DEFINITELY aren't real though, there's no way anyone in their right mind would write a scenario where Morgoth and Ungoliant were turned into Bombadil and Goldberry as punishment for destroying the two trees

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Do you really believe that Andy Serkis will write, direct, and star in a movie with his character named in the title, and not make it about Gollum?

Totally possible. "Star" doesn't neccessarily mean "protagonist". It just means he's in it. He happens to be the titular character too, but the main character will most likely be Aragorn. He will after all be the one hunting Gollum.