• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's kind of wild that beyond taking the servers down and having that one tweet about it, they haven't said anything.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You've always been able to choose if you get invaded. I never understood people who play offline. Just don't reverse hollowing or use embers.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
You've always been able to choose if you get invaded. I never understood people who play offline. Just don't reverse hollowing or use embers.

So don't kindle bonfires? And you automatically become embered after defeating bosses in DS3 so you can't even avoid it if you want to. Bizarro logic you've got there.

I play offline because I don't want to see all the spoiler messages and bloodstains all over the place on a first run.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So don't kindle bonfires? And you automatically become embered after defeating bosses in DS3 so you can't even avoid it if you want to. Bizarro logic you've got there.

I play offline because I don't want to see all the spoiler messages and bloodstains all over the place on a first run.
It's not hard to kill yourself after a boss ember?

Banjo Tango

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
'Choose' in the sense that you can easily avoid being invaded if you don't do co-op. If you want to play with others you are opening yourself up to also being invaded.
I never liked this framing since there's no way to say "I want to co-op but I don't want to be invaded." One of the series bigger failings IMO, but not enough to turn me away - unless, of course, the invader can execute code on my machine :(

So all multiplayer servers are still down for all (PC?) souls games? If that's the case, I expect they recognize how serious the issue is and would have it patched by 2/25.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
that happens on its own when you kill a boss and you cannot reverse it without killing yourself and why would I lose the bonuses of embering to play online when I can play offline just fine

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
It's not hard to kill yourself after a boss ember?
If the only difference is the player has to look like beef jerky the whole playthrough and they have to spend 15 seconds jumping off a cliff after kindling, it sounds like they should have just added some item or menu option to toggle invasions on or off.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Fully expecting them to never bring the PC servers back up for previous games and on top of that either delay Elden Ring PC or release it without online.

0 hope this gets fixed with the lack of communication.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I miss all the craziness and bizarre messages people made. How long has it been down on PC? I came back to the game (DS3) after 2 years and have no idea what is happening

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Now I'm just waiting for hackers to use this to hack PlayStations to run Retroarch that'll get action fast

Oct 6, 2020
I really wanna continue getting everything that's not Bloodborne or Demon's Souls on PC, but this story has had me going back and forth for weeks now. Hopefully they have a solution by launch

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I sincerely hope I'm wrong but Japanese companies outside of Capcom still treat PC pretty poorly.
The game has over 3mil wishlists on Steam(1st for a while now), they're games had an insane pc to console split since DS2. They'll fix it, probably after ER is out sadly.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea the PC servers for the souls games are still down. I assumed that when they did it was going to be like a day or two. Really hope they can get it sorted for Elden Ring on PC.

Akronis

Oct 25, 2017
The game has over 3mil wishlists on Steam(1st for a while now), they're games had an insane pc to console split since DS2. They'll fix it, probably after ER is out sadly.

Oh I know, but I don't know if it's enough for them to care, especially if there are PC specific issues.

I just want Elden Ring to launch with online long enough for the community to reverse engineer the entire thing and release an open source server so we don't have to worry.

Alternatively it releases with no RCE and online intact but I'm losing a lot of hope.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I know, but I don't know if it's enough for them to care, especially if there are PC specific issues.

I just want Elden Ring to launch with online long enough for the community to reverse engineer the entire thing and release an open source server so we don't have to worry.

Alternatively it releases with no RCE and online intact but I'm losing a lot of hope.
idk if you saw but it's allegedly releasing with EAC, we'll see what happens.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Unfortunately From Software's fanbase has developed such a pavlov's-esque response to their releases that I don't think anything could deter the lion's share of them from buying Elden's Ring at this point.

Which is pretty fucked, honestly.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately From Software's fanbase has developed such a pavlov's-esque response to their releases that I don't think anything could deter the lion's share of them from buying Elden's Ring at this point.

Or because we're confident console won't be effected as you can't run unsigned code without a jail broken PS4 and a jail broken PS4 can't go online. After I got hit with the all status ailments and zero stats thing from an invader I uninstalled it from pc and never looked back. They obviously don't give af about pc it's always had problems.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017

The game can still be fully enjoyed without online*. In Elden Ring's case, Im kinda not intending to truly dig into the online now unless something changes my mind due to the nature of how it functions with regards to invasions.

There is some truth here for sure but idk if this has anything to do with Fromsoft games alone or just people hyped for a big game. The online component has also always been a highly contentious part of the fanbase anyway so you cant say everyone is ignoring the issue.

*And Im considering yanking the ethernet cord out anyway cause I dont want other smelly players ruining my exploration vibes.

Akronis

Oct 25, 2017
idk if you saw but it's allegedly releasing with EAC, we'll see what happens.

I believe in the community that they will find a way to rip EAC entirely out if it's possible. I am hoping From gives us a way to play without it but that seems very unlikely.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
There has been some news today. Elden Ring seems to be okay, but the issue with the Dark Souls games wont be resolved for a while yet.

linkfilter

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
From the preview thread:
www.gamerbraves.com

Elden Ring ‘s Yasuhiro Kitao Says Margit Was Overtuned For Beta And More In New Interview

Just two weeks out from the game's launch, we caught up with Elden Ring producer Yasuhiro Kitao about all things

New interview with Kitao. I'll spoiler my summary, my thoughts will be in [ ]:
  • HUD has been updated to be less sterile
  • Magic has been "tuned" compared to the CNT, along with hints at updates to how enemies will react.
    • [Honestly, magic was never really interactive in Souls, and I don't expect that to change]
  • Margit difficulty tuned down a tad.
    • [Keep in mind, your character in the CNT was OP, so could be net 0 change]
  • Expect Midir/Orphan tier bosses to be found in the world, but not to gatekeep mainline progress.
  • No more gestures to unlock hidden areas
    • [THIS IS JUST WHAT THEY WANT YOU BELIEVE]
  • Respec will require a "slightly rare" item. Re-creating your character appearance will be "bit more easygoing".
  • No boss rush/rematch planned.
  • The online vulnerability has been addressed and will NOT be an issue for Elden Ring launch.

How has the recent server issue on the Dark Souls games affected the development of Elden during specifically multiplayer on PC for the upcoming game?

Kitao: First of all, we want to take this opportunity to apologize to you and our players for this inconvenience, and we greatly appreciate all of the information and feedback that have been shared regarding this issue. We want players to rest assured that the issue has been addressed in regard to Elden Rings release. And this is not going to be an issue when the game launches at the end of this month. For the Dark Souls series, the development environment will need some time to set up and to address in that sense. So we're again, we apologize for the inconvenience there, but Elden Ring had to take top priority to ensure that we had