Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
my buddy sent this to me earlier and I thought it was AI

tbh I've been pretty excited for this movie under the impression it was gonna be a more uplifting flick... hoping that the more subdued vibes going on here aren't indicative of what we're gonna get.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
This is a younger Superman though? unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Not misunderstanding. Does not look like a significantly younger version of the character that would call for a new actor just for that. Was expecting like high teens/early 20s. Not the 30s-40s that Henry would also still fit.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
Not misunderstanding. Does not look like a significantly younger version of the character that would call for a new actor just for that. Was expecting like high teens/early 20s. Not the 30s-40s that Henry would also still fit.
I think there were quite a few reasons why he was let go besides age though. Besides I think in order to sell that the is a reboot, you have to get rid of the old cast.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Odd. Thought they would be going with something completely different in some way from Henry Cavill since they decided not to use him. Like a much younger or older. Guess they just wanted to make it clear it was a separate continuity? Shame since I thought it was great even if the movies he was in were not.

Aside from just a fresh start for their reboot, they probably wanted to reset their timeline with an actor that could play the role for the next decade without starting to look too old. Cavill was around the same age in Man of Steel, but that was over a decade ago.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I don't think so. Look at his right leg, you can see some red that doesn't come from the cape draping over his body. I'm pretty sure they tweaked the design to keep the suit from being full body blue, but modern enough and without trunks.

When you increase the brightness of the photo red trunks are clearly visible.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm wondering what the Gunn verse will be like. I was expecting more color like that edit posted above.

Jun 6, 2018

They're potentially looking at a multi decade spanning DC so a young and fresh face does make more sense. I think the obvious play is bring Cavil back as an older Superman in 10 years when they start doing multiverse stuff

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
happy that he has the trunks but we're still doing this shit?

8onrs6ri7ls61.png
This. Also not likening how it's bunched at the armpits and shoulders. Looks too much like muscle padding, seems weird.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
When you increase the brightness of the photo red trunks are clearly visible.
You don't need to increase the brightness to see the red there, I'm saying it looked like there's a tweaked design on the legs. Kind of like this:

random_superman_redesign_by_kyomusha_dcmpg35-fullview.jpg

But looking at it again, it could just be how the lighting makes it look coming through the cape fabric.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
Should have gotten michael wilkinson who did the man of steel, bvs costumes, those were rad. Though need to see it in motion. The Batman costume I hated it in leaked images but was okay in the movie. Still prefer bvs batsuit though.

This is his start up suit so hopefully a better one on the way but am tired of the motorcycle gear look.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
What worries me is how terrible Adam Warlock's costume looked in Guardians 3 and this kind of has the same vibe...

The colors and S symbol are nice, the trunks and collar I'm not so sure. But I just really don't like the oversized creases and folds everywhere.

Nov 3, 2017
Superman would never take his sweet time suiting up while Metropolis, or lives, is in peril. It's such a poor framing it obfuscates the framing of the reveal of the new Superman. But Corenswet looks "right" and I'm still looking forward to it, obviously.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It looks absolutely fine… it is red, blue and has a big S. Good.

Last edited:

PS_Snake

Jun 11, 2023
I love the visceral, heated reactions people are having to an actor wearing a costume for a superhero movie adaptation of a comic book character.

Looks perfectly fine to me, he's wearing red and blue that's Superman I guess.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
Im hoping they release another pic soon and it looks better. I'm not one to use the "looks like cosplay" criticism, in fact I hate it, but in this case to me it really does look like a version of the New 52 costume (which I already dont like) that you could buy at the costume store.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
"Why doesn't this candid photo of an actor in a dirty costume in a dark room look exactly like the bright version I pictured in my head?"

I wonder if this means they're about to start filming stuff in public and have released a picture to get ahead of some blurry phone pics taken from office buildings?

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
This might be an off-kilter opinion, but I started to sour on this project when they went with the Kingdom Come-esque Superman logo over the standard S. For a fresh start and a movie called "Superman," I wanted a true back-to-basics Superman story that was all "apple pie" America and honoring the OG superhero.

That said, I like Gunn and most of what he's done in the cape space, so I still have faith. But that decision plus this as a first look kind of hampers my optimism.

I will, of course, wait for more to make any real judgment, but the marketing thus far just isn't really hitting the vibes I expected. I hope it's a great film, of course, as Supes is my favorite hero.

I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is the best MCU movie since Infinity War. I believe in James Gunn.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone else think the 'S' looks like a stop sign? It looks so authoritarian to me.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
happy that he has the trunks but we're still doing this shit?

8onrs6ri7ls61.png

Hopefully, it's my favourite thing. No one in their right mind in real life would wear spandex parts without any hems, different parts of fabric, pads. etc.
Left is comic, that's ok for comics. Right is for live-action, that's perfectly fine for that.

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
Strong "I suppose I should get back to work" vibes. Gives me the feeling Supes is just putting his suit back on after a plot-interrupting sex scene. Dunno how the 'keep sex out of movies' crowd will take it.

Dec 16, 2017
Overall, this is just a weird first impression.
We have a glum Superman taking his time to fix his boot as Metropolis gets blasted behind him. The suit matters a whole lot less than what is actually portrayed in the picture.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
The amount of discussion and fervour such a mundane character has, has always intrigued me.

I'm into padded suit style, not the pants ha.

BobHarris

Dec 20, 2017
Overall, this is just a weird first impression.
We have a glum Superman taking his time to fix his boot as Metropolis gets blasted behind him. The suit matters a whole lot less than what is actually portrayed in the picture.

Agreed. I like the overall look but contextually it does kind of make it look like Metropolis is getting blasted and Superman responding like a plumber who has been called out to a leak in the middle of the night.

But I'm sure Gunn won't give us a cynical and tired Supes, so I'll reserve judgement for when we see more.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
superman_man_of_steel.jpg

Comparison to Cavill's Superman first look back then.

Gunn's version is miles better for sure. But it sure is weird how he promised his Supes to be hopeful and non-cynical yet posted a picture that gives off the opposite vibe of that.

Last edited: