Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
A lot of defensiveness here for what is a pretty reasonable post from the OP.

We'd expect to see the hardware in hand now, even a little unboxing from the official PlayStation media team or something. Nothing major, Sony aren't doomed, it's not a concern thread, it's just a question of 'hey, any idea why we haven't seen this yet?'.

And a lot of people seem very hurt by the mere idea of questioning why a company capable of releasing millions of boxes in 7 weeks isn't showing one now?
Agreed.

It's not a huge deal, but it's clearly a choice by Sony to not have shown the PS5 live yet, ship out dummy units, etc. Has the pandemic impacted their marketing? Of course.

But considering Sony has been launching other products throughout this year as well (Alpha cameras and Xperia phones, for example), they're clearly capable of having hands on if they were so inclined.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
If we get the first proper "hands on vids" by early/mid October, Sony is giving potential buyers a whole month to (re)consider getting a PS5. Sounds fair to me.
Nobody's forcing anybody to pre-order a PS5 right now based off what we got so far.

Since there is no E3 nor Gamescom in 2020, the manufacturers have the luxury to play their cards close to the vest.

I remember Sony not having any PS4 consoles ready at Gamescom 2013.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
They've been outdone by MS on hardware, so they probably don't want to draw too much attention to that.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I think I get your point but as we have the official measurements and the design, I don't think there is much need for concern, maybe we will have a hands-on with influencers/journalists this week or the next.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They are concern trolling.
Sony has pictures and the measurements up on their website, nobody's hiding shit.
There is a difference between hands-on and posting case pictures and dimensions. Built quality, noise, sturdiness (I still can't believe that my slim wobbles because the feet fell off immediately after unboxing it). That might not be "hiding" something, mind. But it is different to what their main competitor does (which is, at least to me, a good thing).

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
There is a difference between hands-on and posting case pictures and dimensions. Built quality, noise, sturdiness (I still can't believe that my slim wobbles because the feet fell off immediately after unboxing it). That might not be "hiding" something, mind. But it is different to what their main competitor does (which is, at least to me, a good thing).

What's been the difference for the consoles? People already have both, we are just literally waiting for the embargoes to lift.

I know microsoft put a shell of a console in a case on display where people couldn't touch it but...

If it wasnt for Covid I'm sure Sony would have dual sense booths everywhere so you can feel the new controller playing on PS5's.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
If my console was big, ugly and weaker than my direct competitor, I'd probably delay or completely abandon the idea of giving it to folks who will literally take it apart and see what's going on in there too.

From the guys who run XboxEra and from a fan group group who felt so hard done by here that they felt they had to leave. We see those crocodile tears.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Who gives a shit? It's what I need to play Miles, Demon's Souls, God of War 2, Horizon 2, etc. It could be shaped like a literal dog turd and I would still buy it.

Khalid030

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But to say they're trying to hide it because of how big it is or whatever the competition is doing is just plain stupid. Sony has a marketing strategy and they're staying on course.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
2047469500-ps4-ps5-abwaertskompatibilitaet-1d8G4CTxyFef.jpg

There you go.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But to say they're trying to hide it because of how big it is or whatever the competition is doing is just plain stupid. Sony has a marketing strategy and they're staying on course.
The strategy is always because of the competition, that is not stupid to say. Concern or FUD is a different thing though and happens on both sides.
There is definitely a different strategy in terms of general communication and openness but it all leads to a launch that is only weeks away now anyway so arguing and getting heavily involved in such a discussion is useless anyway. There is nothing to hide, launch will come.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

whats the build quality, noise and sturdiness of the empty shells MS sent out? They're only just sending real boxes out and it sounds like Sony is too (at least in Japan)

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
whats the build quality, noise and sturdiness of the empty shells MS sent out? They're only just sending real boxes out and it sounds like Sony is too (at least in Japan)
You could ask Richard and John from Digital Foundry. They especially addressed noise and you can see Richard assembling an Xbox Series X on youtube.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You could ask Richard and John from Digital Foundry. They especially addressed noise and you can see Richard assembling an Xbox Series X on youtube.

did they do a proper test or even first impressions - was that in their March MS visit video? I'll check again thanks

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I heard Phil Spencer had it sitting on his bookshelf months ago and nobody noticed.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
They've been outdone by MS on hardware, so they probably don't want to draw too much attention to that.
That's right - except the fact they've sent the console out to Japanese YouTubers and high profile influencers ready to unveil their first hands-on in less than a week from now… or would that be "drawing too much attention"? The kinds of things people convince themselves of in the run up to a new generation, is truly astonishing. It's also amusing to me that people don't think the Series X is big just because PS5 is bigger. Series X looks inoffensive, but it's still big.

RedPanda

Alt-Account
Banned
May 28, 2020
That's right - except the fact they've sent the console out to Japanese YouTubers and high profile influencers ready to unveil their first hands-on in less than a week from now… or would that be "drawing too much attention"? The kinds of things people convince themselves of in the run up to a new generation, is truly astonishing. It's also amusing to me that people don't think the Series X is big just because PS5 is bigger. Series X looks inoffensive, but it's still big.
you really dont need to defend a huge corp such as sony for lacking to communicate to consumers.

OP
OP
DrDeckard

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I heard Phil Spencer had it sitting on his bookshelf months ago and nobody noticed.

Turns out it was his bookshelf!

lol

My question was, they are doing all the footage of the thing etc after every unit has been pre ordered anyway. I was asking the question, can anyone think of another device etc that hasn't had hands on time, or been shown publicly that went live for pre order?

I just cant think of any?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
you really dont need to defend a huge corp such as sony for lacking to communicate to consumers.
Edit: my response to Fizie was questioning the idea that Sony is worried about the optics.
Do you legitimately believe that, with the kinds of games they've already showed off?

I'm appealing to common sense - you can read into it how you like.

I want to see the UI as much as the next guy but they have communicated and intend to more so in less than a week:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC, wasn't Sony's original (pre-Covid) plan to have an abundance of public shows where people could see & use the PS5?

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
You didn't hear it from me, but my friend's uncle who works at Nintendo has had a PS5 since June. So people have definitely seen real PS5s.

Rivo_Labrat

Apr 27, 2019
I struggle to see the problem here🤷

They've shown the console. They've told us the measurements. Hel we've seen footage from the games played on a ps5. What is the problem?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe that why they have the disclaimers about running, captured from a PS5.....to let us know it's real....

Probably this week. Isn't that when some Japanese gamers are getting hands on with it?

Yeah, its happening soon.
I feel like they've been trying to hide the fact that it's so damn massive, potentially to avoid early memes, size comparisons and mockery. The thing is seemingly set to make even the OG PS3 look sprightly, which is a feat all in itself lol.

The thing is, eventually people are going to get their hands on it, see full size comparisons etc, might as well get ahead of it in a more marketable manner, eg with a full tear down showing the cooling solution etc. Hopefully that all comes soon, have to imagine it'll be in the coming weeks or so.
Well, it's too late for that. Waaaay too late.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a global pandemic, I'm more inclined to chalk it up to that and give both Sony and MS a free pass for the moment.

But I'm also not crazy.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
That bullshit comment didn't even deserve a response lol this is just a bait thread man one system is actually showing games running on hardware and the other has rumors that the dev-kit environment software is coming in hot now just imagine if the roles where reversed....

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
OK, first of all, the thread title has some serious logic flaws. The only way people see things is physically. What the hell would be the alternative? See it metaphysically?

Second, is everybody in this thread a flat erffer or something? Do you need to be shot out of a cannon into outer space to realize that the earth is an oblate spheroid? Wait, don't answer that, I know you do. There are photos of PS5. We have photos of it in certification. We have photos of people holding it. We have official press photos that might be high quality renders, but they are also the closest thing to real life that you can expect. What more do you need to see? Do you want to see [insert politician name here] beaten to death by a PS5? Or maybe a small toddler being crushed by a PS5 toppling over? And even when you do, what possible difference will it make for your purchase or non-purchase world view?

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I'd actually love to watch a video on how the console is manufactured. Wish they would get a filmmaker like Daniel Schiffer to pop it out quickly. He could do it in a week.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My opinion, but I think they haven't shown it is because of the size. They've provided dimensions (PS5: Approx. 390mm x 104mm x 260mm (width x height x depth)), but I didn't even realize this until I read this topic. This is quite a large console and I am not aware of a larger console previously. I personally don't care, because I will just stick it under my TV where I have my other consoles. However, some people are more sensitive to things. Others may ignore or miss the dimensions. All of the upcoming consoles have been the target of ridicule from all over the Internet for their looks. Perhaps it won't fit in some entertainment setups; although I don't know how many would avoid a purchase due to this. We're also in a pandemic and since they've shown it and provided the size, that is good enough for now. Who knows, really. I still feel it being the largest console ever may be part of it.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think comparing MS' approach to Sony's is an apples-to-apples one. One of those two has more to prove, than the other.

Having said that, yes, this is a less than ideal unveiling/release, but these are less than ideal times. I'm sure the next month will bring the usual HYPE videos. Not like Sony needs them, tbh. They can sell through their entire first batch this holiday season, on the back of this gen's momentum alone.

Meanwhile, there are literally dozens of photos out there, including all the required dimensions, and an AR model or two.

Jan 29, 2019
OK, first of all, the thread title has some serious logic flaws. The only way people see things is physically. What the hell would be the alternative? See it metaphysically?

Second, is everybody in this thread a flat erffer or something? Do you need to be shot out of a cannon into outer space to realize that the earth is an oblate spheroid? Wait, don't answer that, I know you do. There are photos of PS5. We have photos of it in certification. We have photos of people holding it. We have official press photos that might be high quality renders, but they are also the closest thing to real life that you can expect. What more do you need to see? Do you want to see [insert politician name here] beaten to death by a PS5? Or maybe a small toddler being crushed by a PS5 toppling over? And even when you do, what possible difference will it make for your purchase or non-purchase world view?
Personally I am waiting to see a picture of it through the ps5 web browser before deciding on whether to purchase one.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
They are concern trolling.
Sony has pictures and the measurements up on their website, nobody's hiding shit.

Most people aren't concern trolling, they're joking. It seems like a lot of people on this forum are having difficulty with Sony being in a comparatively weak PR position right now compared to last gen.

Sony's going to be fine, the PS5 seems like a good console and it's going to have great games. It's also the largest console ever made so of course people will make jokes about it.

As for the OP's question I'm sure we'll start to see more PS5s in the wild very soon, I think Sony has just had a hard time getting them to fit out the factory door.