• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, etc.

Fast-paced 3rd person melee action games with complex movesets and a focus on mastery of combo engines and dodging/parrying.

And this is why I will forever use Character Action game. This man automatically knows what I want when I say it.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Now that Shlooter is the official term for Athem/Destiny/Division styled games, it's only fair that Character Action games get something similar.

Therefore, I suggest:

Charaction.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Stylish is a type of character action game like DMC where you use different combos to keep your score up so no you can't use that as the catch all name. God of War and Ninja Gaiden is not stylish but it is a character action,

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Stylish action or character action im good with. If you call it just an action game you probably dont give value to genres in general even if they are useful for conversation.

Oct 25, 2017
Hack and slash sucks. That could be Diablo, Dynasy Warriors or Golden Axe.

Stylish action works for DMC, but less so for God or War.

Character action is fine.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not entirely impossible to change a genre's name.

People stopped calling them Soulslike, and started calling them with the even dumber name Soulsborne.

That's why I'm pushing for Soulsbornekiro, keep the train rolling.
Soulsborne is the dumbest thing but Sekiro seems character action.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
It makes no damn sense and does jack to describe what the genre is. "Character Action?" Every action game has you play as a character. "Stylish Action" games would better describe what those games are about.

What you would rename the genre to?

I don't even understand what this is, haha. "Character Action"? That's a thing?
From what I see in the thread, it looks like it's basically Japanese third-person action games, is that right? People make a distinction between WRPGs and JRPGs to describe style and set-up. I guess you could do the same here. J-Action?

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
I never understood why people don't just call them 3D beat 'em ups, because that is generally what they are. They're just a really old genre that have improved a lot over the years with better combat gameplay.

It is kind of like how people treat Dark Souls as its own genre when it is mostly a straightforward 3D Metroidvania with some innovations.

A lot of videogame genre labels are poor and not very indicative of gameplay, but there are a lot of others which have always worked and should still be used.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't understand why character action upsets so many people, as if role playing game or open world game are not equality as vague and nonsensical

If I say a game is a character action game, you know I'm talking about a game like DMC or Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden, therefore it works as a genre name

That doesn't mean you can't use another term, but if you start using terms people don't understand, then those fail as a genre title whereas character action succeeds

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It's better than Hack n Slash. Hack n Slash make sit sound like you just mash mindlessly like Dynasty Warriors or something. I propose XTREEEEEME ACTION. Just how it's spelled.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why people dou call themp where 3D beat 'em ups, because that is generally what they are. They're just a really old genre that hihave improved a lot over the years with better combat gameplay.
Yep. There's some weird hang up many people have of only calling 2d beat 'em ups that even when they're fine calling platformers the same the name regardless of being 2d or 3d.

"Hack 'n slash" was never really a genre term to begin with and usually referred more to a specific type of attack. It was used for both games like Rastan and Golden Axe back in the day.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yep. There's some weird hang up many people have of only calling 2d beat 'em ups that even when they're fine calling platformers the same the name regardless of being 2d or 3d.

I would say being specifically annoyed at "character action" as a genre title is a weirder hang up than only using "beat em up" to refer to 2D games

There also isn't some hard and fast rule about every genre only having one name

Dark Souls is referred to as an RPG, an ARPG, a Souls game, an Action game, and no one loses their mind

People call DMC and Bayonetta character action games and people demand we come up with a better name

It's really weird

I'm happy with 3D beat em ups, or character action, or stylish action. They all work as genre names as when people use them, we all know what kind of game is being spoken about

Oct 25, 2017
How about Loot and Shoot — Loot-N-Shoot — Loot-N-Shooters

or

Shoot and Loot — Shoot-N-Loot — Shoot-N-Looters?

Sorry I'm just not a big fan of the whole schlooter going around lately.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

"What's the deal with character-action games? Every game has characters! Every game has action! Why isn't every game a character action game?"

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Literally never heard of "character action" and I've been an avid gamer for 20+ years. Shocked people in here are saying everyone knows what it means.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
i used to think they were just called Hack 'n slash
I feel this is some invented term, I have never heard it outside a few forum posts. It's always been a hack and slash action game or just action game.

Seriously, i grew up reading and hearing that games like DMC and God of War were called "Hack'n Slash", even within my circle of friends.

Button smasher was another common term for it, but i never heard of "character action" until Era.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Literally never heard of "character action" and I've been an avid gamer for 20+ years. Shocked people in here are saying everyone knows what it means.

Depends on what kind of gamer you are- I'll be very surprised if a fan of action games (not shooters) have never heard of the term "Character Action" once in their lives because these are the titles associated with the very cream of the crop for the genre.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
User Banned (A day): Inappropriate Language.
Hack N' Slash. Character action is the most short bus riding term I have ever heard.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Character can mean more than playing as a character. I would take it to mean 'personality-driven action'.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just asked a friend who games if he heard of "character action games" and he looked at me like I was having a stroke.

People don't use this term really.