Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't need to ask anything. They could just use the kremlings and not say anything. My point is that it's ridiculous to blame people that didn't even produce or develop the game for decisions people may not like.

Some K. Rool fans have this weird idea that Nintendo hates the character.
You have this weird thing of not understanding the respect they have for Miyamoto. If Miyamoto says that and Tanabe hears it, then it will be relayed to Retro to make new characters.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A 2D DK game could be made by Monster Games though.
monster seems to be no longer interested in working with nintendo ever since they got the nascar license back.

They didn't need to ask anything. They could just use the kremlings and not say anything. My point is that it's ridiculous to blame people that didn't even produce or develop the game for decisions people may not like.

Some K. Rool fans have this weird idea that Nintendo hates the character.
miyamoto isn't directly involved in every single nintendo project, but it still seems like a lot of stuff has to be run by him, to get his opinion. maybe mostly general stuff about the general direction and vibe of the games, but he's still "sharing" his opinion and affecting a lot of games' development.
for example in botw, while miyamoto has no involvement, aunoma and fujubayashi said in the nintendo power podcast that they had to get miyamoto's approval for the final designs of link and zelda.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Super Mario 3D Land DK Game. 64 sucked for being too padded with objectives - just make some straight shot linear levels with new dimensions to it.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

Am I the only one who thinks there just too many 2D platformers on Switch? I feel like it's the only genre I'm playing on it. This year alone I played Celeste, Owlboy, Iconoclasts, Hollow Knight, Kirby, DKCTF, Megaman 11 and Megaman collection... While on the 3D platformer front, I had... None. Not even Spyro Collection. Come on guys, don't pray for a 2D DK game. I've been waiting for DK64 2 for almost 20 years and I deserve it. Please...

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks there just too many 2D platformers on Switch? I feel like it's the only genre I'm playing on it. This year alone I played Celeste, Owlboy, Iconoclasts, Hollow Knight, Kirby, DKCTF, Megaman 11 and Megaman collection... While on the 3D platformer front, I had... None. Not even Spyro Collection. Come on guys, don't pray for a 2D DK game. I've been waiting for DK64 2 for almost 20 years and I deserve it. Please...
It's not Nintendo's fault if indies want to make 2D platformers. Plus lots of us have said we want a sequel to DK64.

I personally think it should be the "open world" design of DK64.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind it as TF is awesome, but I must say I'm pretty hyped for Star Fox Grand Prix. The game I never knew I wanted.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want the first dkc returns for switch too
they should have included a basic up-res version with TF :(
the game already looks great when emulated in high res.

Ding ding ding. Yep we know what Liam is referring to- DK as a guest character in Star Fox Grand Prix.

This will be funny to see DK flying in space lol.
that'll probably open the floodgates to more nintendo guest characters. people wanting mario kart to become nintendo kart may get their wish here.

i'm not saying they should work on more or less. 2D platforming is my favorite genre and while there's A LOT of amazing indie games in the genre recently, few come close to nintendo 2D platformers. i still want my 2D yoshi, mario, kirby, etc.
as for 3D platformers, it's a really hard genre to get right, most of them play like ass and are terrible. i don't think even nintendo has it in them to have 3 or 4 3D platforming series.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
guest character in star fox GP?

Yeah. He actually mentioned that a long awhile ago on his podcast.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/309229-rumor-another-round-of-info-on-starfox-grand-prix

- He also heard Retro was considering adding cameos like Donkey Kong

DK would actually be a really cool and fitting choice for a guest racer considering he fits the whole anthromorphic animal motif. I just hope we can get Captain Falcon as an anthro falcon as a guest racer too lol

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. He actually mentioned that a long awhile ago on his podcast.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/309229-rumor-another-round-of-info-on-starfox-grand-prix

DK would actually be a really cool and fitting choice for a guest racer considering he fits the whole anthromorphic animal motif. I just hope we can get Captain Falcon as an anthro falcon as a guest racer too lol

And the fact DK had it's own stellar racing spinoff

Oh Fat4All can be a wrong doggo. Interesting.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tropical Freeze was too weak. Returns was good though.
tenorcnc1y.gif

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Honestly i'll be fine with whatever they do next, I'm not franchise picky.
That said, DK in space with the Star Fox Crew sounds too good of a chance to pass up.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I love how y'all have been groomed to expect trilogies.

Nevertheless, I would love if they did another one. Hell, I'd trust them with a 2D Metroid; their level design is so good.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not saying they should work on more or less. 2D platforming is my favorite genre and while there's A LOT of amazing indie games in the genre recently, few come close to nintendo 2D platformers. i still want my 2D yoshi, mario, kirby, etc.
as for 3D platformers, it's a really hard genre to get right, most of them play like ass and are terrible. i don't think even nintendo has it in them to have 3 or 4 3D platforming series.

But this is Retro we're talking about. Nintendo have only just a few studios that are experienced in 3D environment and Retro is one of them. I feel like their talent is wasted with 2D platformers while there are better 2D platformer makers like HAL, Arzest or GoodFeel. I'm not saying that 2D platforming should disappear altogether but GoodFeel is all Nintendo and we need. Maybe they should helm the next DKC game while retro could focus on something more modern?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is true that Retro should stop doing 2D games. They have done open 3D games and that's lacked in some Nintendo partners.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tropical Freeze is a good example of a misunderstood masterpiece, that had the unfortunate reality of being in a genre that most people only consider to being gaming comfort food.

Honestly I begin to wonder if another 3D DK is what is needed for the franchise.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Man. Do i love the the Retro DKC games. Some of the best 2D platforming out there!! Down for another one.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how y'all have been groomed to expect trilogies.
i'm still expecting mario galaxy 3 and wii fit 3.

But this is Retro we're talking about. Nintendo have only just a few studios that are experienced in 3D environment and Retro is one of them. I feel like their talent is wasted with 2D platformers while there are better 2D platformer makers like HAL, Arzest or GoodFeel. I'm not saying that 2D platforming should disappear altogether but GoodFeel is all Nintendo and we need. Maybe they should helm the next DKC game while retro could focus on something more modern?
i disagreed with you on nintendo should stop making 2D platformers, but i agree with you that retro's talents can be better used on 3D games.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Fox GP is good because it's not a 2D game. It'll be lots of huge open environments I would guess.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh is it now? Tell me then, what wouldn't be a "waste of Retro's talent"? So sick of seeing this sentiment, I can't imagine it not being disheartening for Retro employees that put their all into Tropical Freeze.

It's because Retro is involved that you see hot takes that 2D platformers are a lesser genre. This is never brought up for Kirby or Yoshi because their devs only make 2D platformers.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Would be a waste of Retro's talent.

A game is only a "waste of talent" if it turns out not to be a good product. Something like Federation Force is most certainly a waste of talent because we know Next Level Games is capable of doing better.

A game like Tropical Freeze or another 2D DKC game of the same quality is absolutely NOT be a waste of talent.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh is it now? Tell me then, what wouldn't be a "waste of Retro's talent"? So sick of seeing this sentiment, I can't imagine it not being disheartening for Retro employees that put their all into Tropical Freeze.
I don't think people mean to say it's a waste of their talent. People in general want to see Retro working on games with a bigger scope.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A game is only a "waste of talent" if it turns out not to be a good product. Something like Federation Force is most certainly a waste of talent because we know Next Level Games is capable of doing better.

A game like Tropical Freeze or another 2D DKC game of the same quality is absolutely NOT be a waste of talent.
i doubt people are claiming TF isn't amazing or didn't take a lot of effort and talent to make, it's just that nintendo has many other teams capable of making 2D platformers, but only one western first party studio, that can make great 3D games. it's about wanting a catalog of different first party games and retro are the ones who can add something different to that catalog that nintendo's japanese teams aren't making.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's happening, or a 3D platformer.

I feel pretty confident in two things though:
  1. After we get whatever it is Retro is working on right now, Donkey Kong will come next.
  2. The game will bring back the K Rool crew as the main villains.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think Tropical Freeze feels like a natural conclusion to Retro's take on DKC. That being said, I'd gladly consume another entry with great excitement.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's happening, or a 3D platformer.

I feel pretty confident in two things though:
  1. After we get whatever it is Retro is working on right now, Donkey Kong will come next.
  2. The game will bring back the K Rool crew as the main villains.
The rumors said Retro had another project they were working on that may have been cancelled.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people mean to say it's a waste of their talent. People in general want to see Retro working on games with a bigger scope.

Retro as a studio is better positioned to make mid-scope games rather than the big marquee games people keep expecting from them.

The Metroid Prime series was 2 to 3 generations ago and the industry has changed a ton since then. Nevermind that the reason we are waiting so long for a new game from them is likely because they had a canceled project they struggled to handle.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry I'm sure that's exactly what they're working on.

If it took them 5+ years to make another 2d platformer, something is seriously going wrong over at retro.

By the time they release another game, it'll have been as much time as between the release of prime 1 and prime 3.

My personal hope is they're giving 3d DK a shot , plus the rumoured Starfox racer.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I'd rather have a Donkey Kong Country Returns Director's Cut that "fixes" the game:
- running on TF engine
- 3DS extra world
- new soundtrack by David Wise

and then they can work on a 3D Donkey Kong game.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They literally asked him for his opinion, he didn't decide for them ("do we need to?" isn't even a demand, it's a question). Miyamoto isn't even a producer or anything for the game.

Didn't Miyamoto keep Intelligent Systems from using original characters in Sticker Star? It honestly wouldn't surprise me if this was the case for the Kremlings and Retro.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes to a third DKC retro game. The first two were awesome and the third would probably go down as the greatest 2D platformer of all time at this rate.

A 3D DK game could be interesting, just so long as it's absolutely nothing like DK64 on any level. That game is trash to the point that it's largely credited with killing the collectathon subgenre. If ya'll need to scratch that itch for some reason, just go back to Banjo. That's about as good as that whole mess gets anyways.

If you actually want another DK64, oof. Get help.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't ready to believe how good DK:TF was, but I played it earlier this year and I am a believer. However, I want to see if Retro is capable of doing something else besides a 3D platformer after doing them for so long.