• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Eg_gznRX0AAc8ND

Yesterday, September 3, 2020, we had confirmation of the rumors that had been circulating about a collection of 3D Mario games. Nintendo announced Super Mario 3D All Stars for Switch, featuring Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64), Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube) and Super Mario Galaxy (Wii).

Unlike other recent re-releases such as Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, Spyro Reignited Trilogy and Tony Hawk's ™ Pro Skater ™ 1 + 2, the games received little improvement compared to their original platforms. Away even from the traditional collections of remasters, popular in the seventh generation.

However, this translates into a genius in terms of business. And there are a few points I want to make, showing how Nintendo is one of the most efficient companies in the gaming industry:

1) Low investment: with basically "emulated versions" of the original games, the company saved all the cost of reconstruction or in-depth treatment that competitors, such as Activision, gave their games. The investment to build this collection with that spent on Vicarious Visions remastering Crash is unmatched. Here we have a point of high efficiency of capital employed.

2) High selling price: the ideal selling price is composed of a series of factors, such as product and brand perception. Nintendo has a lifestyle factor linked to its products, similar to what Apple has in its devices. This, together with the quality of the games, allows the publication of low investment collections like this for a premium price. A privilege that Actvision does not have, even with a product of higher production quality.

3) Removal of alternatives: with the release of this collection, these games are being removed from the eShop on Wii U as a way of not having a lower price benchmark. If it were possible to buy these games individually for 50, 60 would not make sense. So the only other alternative is the used-car market, where prices go flying through the ceiling.

4) FOMO (fear of missing out): I understand how the great genius of this launch. Knowing the importance of these titles for its fans, Nintendo uses the FOMO technique to speed up sales and wall consumers. There is no way to expect a lower price in a year. There is no way to be part of this lifestyle after March. Either buy it now at the asking price, or you're out. It is a great way to bring value and sales to a low investment product.

20200903_091752.jpg

With these four great actions taken together, I understand that Nintendo is teaching business classes to the industry as a whole. It becomes a benchmark on how to get to know your client, on how to be highly efficient on investment, on how to return value to company owners. It's scary how the company knows how far it can go and not get scratched in the process.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That's bait.

Also I think sarcastic reaction threads aren't allowed?

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
This is a weird way to say "they know they can get away with it because they're Nintendo"

And yeah, I already bought it.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
FOMO will definitely cause people that were reluctant on getting the game, purchase the game. My brother is getting it only because he doesn't want to miss out on the games, while he wouldn't be bothered to get it any time soon.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
I think the biggest thing here is that they understand the perceived value of their games. They know Sunshine resells at over 60$ on it's own, they know people want these games on the Switch, and they know people will jump on it before time runs out. I am overwhelmingly surprised that the average consumer is seeing that it is only being sold until March though. That's something I could have seen flying under the radar.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if this is parody or not anymore

M8tthew

Aug 1, 2019
There's nothing genius about it, it's despicable. These classic games, which all Switch owners could enjoy won't be able to past March next year. It will result in hugely over-priced physical versions appearing on eBay and Nintendo missing out on years of game sales because they've chosen a short-term profit goal. It makes very little sense from a business point of view, especially when you consider what they did with the 3DS and game bundles. Please don't celebrate this in any way, it hurts the industry, especially if other companies look at this and think "good idea, let's try it."

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I for one am proud of Nintendo for thinking about business first and foremost. I look forward and am excited for more interesting ways they win the business war in the future.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the biggest thing here is that they understand the perceived value of their games. They know Sunshine resells at over 60$ on it's own, they know people want these games on the Switch, and they know people will jump on it before time runs out. I am overwhelmingly surprised that the average consumer is seeing that it is only being sold until March though. That's something I could have seen flying under the radar.

It is flying under the radar. Only the uber enthusiast knows about it at this point.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure there will be that much fear of missing out. At least, i personally wouldnt worry about it. I might be wrong, but i wont be surprised if there will be produced millions of physical copies of this release.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
Part of me wants them to go even further to see if there's something they can't get away with.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Genius? More like a gullible fan base that eats everything the company sells no matter the cost.

Nintendo should be called out for this garbage and instead they call it genius 🤦‍♂️

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What you call "genius", I call "exploitative". They're definitely really good at the latter.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking out loud here, but between the phasing out of Virtual Console/supplanting it with NSO, and these ports being a limited run, I'm genuinely curious whether or not Nintendo don't otherwise see as big of a return in these ports as one would expect. This pretty shitty move basically just guaranteed that this collection is gonna push 1 million units at minimum.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
It is very smart of them. No other developer could get away with this. No one. And that is partly their fault. When every other dev drops the price of their newest AAA game to $20 or $30 months after release what do you expect to happen?

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Form a business perspective, it's pretty smart. We're not investors though so how much money they make is irrelevant to me.

3) Removal of alternatives: with the release of this collection, these games are being removed from the eShop on Wii U as a way of not having a lower price benchmark. If it were possible to buy these games individually for 50, 60 would not make sense. So the only other alternative is the used-car market, where prices go flying through the ceiling.
This isn't true for this collection though - 64 and Galaxy are still available to buy on Wii U while Sunshine was never available in the first place.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sure it's genius for them because it gets them more money, but it's not good for customers and why need to stop applauding these companies when they are clearly doing shit the negatively effects our experience. These companies don't care about us so we need to stop caring about them.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well it's easy money for sure. Nintendo could release this compilation literally any time, it requires so little development work. It's a great title to help fill the release calendar this year, which is unusually light due to COVID.

I'm not sure the price or the value of this product is unreasonable. All Switch first party releases other than Captain Toad have all been $60, and this game includes 3 full length games, the latter two of which have never been rereleased before other than as a VC title. Sunshine was never even on VC! So I think the value is fine.

I also don't think Nintendo pulls every game off of Wii U as soon as a Switch port is announced. It's happened a few times, but it happens less often than it doesn't happen.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Of course the reactions from users in this thread are going to be bad given they're from a different perspective, but OP is entirely correct on every point.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
They've done the unthinkable, make a digital product scarce, have limited availability.

honestly this is really crappy move from them (unless they plan to sell the titles individually at a later date but I doubt it).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this supposed to be a parody of that "do you want ND to crunch" thread or do we just have all the bad takes today?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Did they actually remove the mario games from Wii U? They look like they're still purchasable on the UK webstore.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta disagree with the FOMO part. This is a Mario release, these games tend to sell for a long ass time. By limiting the sales period of this title, they are deliberately cutting its sales short.

Status
Not open for further replies.