• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I'd have to imagine the games are going to be sold separately on the eShop after that March date, since they already put all the work into porting them so it's not like they'd just say "lol, no thank you!!!" to people who want to spend their money on them. It'd be nice if they made that clear from the start, but I can imagine them thinking that might put people off buying the collection who otherwise might just wait for a version that doesn't include Sunshine.

So I think people's reaction to this is probably going to end up seeming a little hyperbolic in retrospect, but to be fair they're absolutely trying to be sly by not indicating what their plans are in March for the ports.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whether the OP is joking or not, there are probably a decent number of people here who agree with it, and that by itself is problematic.

These kind of threads are the equivalent of wearing a Red MAGA hat that says something like "Impeach Trump", it's dumb as shit.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
They celebrated anniversary of Mario with anti-consumerism as far as I'm concerned.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
User banned (1 week): inflammatory point of comparison
I mean, Hitler was pretty clever and very popular at the time - I don't feel comfortable congratulating him on this though.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
How is it NOT screwing people over?

"Buy our shit now or OOPS you don't get it ever."

Please tell me who wins here besides Nintendo?
that's a pretty disingenious way of looking at it.

- they're all old games, you've had years and years to play them
- we have no idea what happens in the future, after the collection is no longer available, it's pretty unlikely these games are never available ever again
- you have SIX months to buy the collection.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
I'd have to imagine the games are going to be sold separately on the eShop after that March date, since they already put all the work into porting them so it's not like they'd just say "lol, no thank you!!!" to people who want to spend their money on them. It'd be nice if they made that clear from the start, but I can imagine them thinking that might put people off buying the collection who otherwise might just wait for a version that doesn't include Sunshine.

So I think people's reaction to this is probably going to end up seeming a little hyperbolic in retrospect, but to be fair they're absolutely trying to be sly by not indicating what their plans are in March for the ports.

It's not like they did all that much work. But it doesn't make sense not to keep selling them, so either way it's a weird decision.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Think we need to wait until we can measure it's success financial before we can really call it a genius move right?

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Eg_gznRX0AAc8ND

Yesterday, September 3, 2020, we had confirmation of the rumors that had been circulating about a collection of 3D Mario games. Nintendo announced Super Mario 3D All Stars for Switch, featuring Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64), Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube) and Super Mario Galaxy (Wii).

Unlike other recent re-releases such as Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, Spyro Reignited Trilogy and Tony Hawk's ™ Pro Skater ™ 1 + 2, the games received little improvement compared to their original platforms. Away even from the traditional collections of remasters, popular in the seventh generation.

However, this translates into a genius in terms of business. And there are a few points I want to make, showing how Nintendo is one of the most efficient companies in the gaming industry:

1) Low investment: with basically "emulated versions" of the original games, the company saved all the cost of reconstruction or in-depth treatment that competitors, such as Activision, gave their games. The investment to build this collection with that spent on Vicarious Visions remastering Crash is unmatched. Here we have a point of high efficiency of capital employed.

2) High selling price: the ideal selling price is composed of a series of factors, such as product and brand perception. Nintendo has a lifestyle factor linked to its products, similar to what Apple has in its devices. This, together with the quality of the games, allows the publication of low investment collections like this for a premium price. A privilege that Actvision does not have, even with a product of higher production quality.

3) Removal of alternatives: with the release of this collection, these games are being removed from the eShop on Wii U as a way of not having a lower price benchmark. If it were possible to buy these games individually for 50, 60 would not make sense. So the only other alternative is the used-car market, where prices go flying through the ceiling.

4) FOMO (fear of missing out): I understand how the great genius of this launch. Knowing the importance of these titles for its fans, Nintendo uses the FOMO technique to speed up sales and wall consumers. There is no way to expect a lower price in a year. There is no way to be part of this lifestyle after March. Either buy it now at the asking price, or you're out. It is a great way to bring value and sales to a low investment product.

20200903_091752.jpg

With these four great actions taken together, I understand that Nintendo is teaching business classes to the industry as a whole. It becomes a benchmark on how to get to know your client, on how to be highly efficient on investment, on how to return value to company owners. It's scary how the company knows how far it can go and not get scratched in the process.
Absolutely nailed it! Just talking from a business side, it's genius!

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that's a pretty disingenious way of looking at it.

- they're all old games, you've had years and years to play them
- we have no idea what happens in the future, after the collection is no longer available, it's pretty unlikely these games are never available ever again
- you have SIX months to buy the collection.
-doesn't matter I'm talking about THIS collection, I don't won't to have to drag out my Wii U(Or find a Wii if I wanted to play Sunshine) the point of these collections is to have the convenient access to them on a modern console. I'd love to see if people would be this nice to Square if they just arbitrarily removed the Kingdom Hearts collections.
-Four Swords DS says high.
-I don't wont a fucking time limit. What if I'm having money issues? What if I'm someone who doesn't have a Switch yet? What if there are other games I want to prioritize?

Why are you going out of your way to defend this? Who loses in the scenario where this stays on the digital store? This shouldn't be an issue but Nintendo decided to make it one.

I WAS going to buy this, not anymore.

Bonus round. That cool Mario game in the style of the popular and successful Tetris 99? Yeah that's going away too because fuck you I guess.
Me. I get to play old Mario games and now I get a collectors piece.
"Screw you got mine."

Gotcha.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
The irony of this thread is that Nintendo is kind of infamous for making dumb business decisions

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine once talked about bars and clubs being such a unique business model - where they have absolute contempt for their customers and yet people keep coming back to give them money. They can make you wait in a lineup in the freezing cold for no good reason, angry bouncers will do violence at the drop of a hat - and yet, people keep coming back!

It seems Nintendo is the same way.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
My only FOMO with this is the exorbitant price tag this will go for on third party sites. This is a game that'd I'd buy and not open. Otherwise, there are multiple places to play ports of N64-Wii games at better resolutions, better performances, and for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.