• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
You feeling validated by the opinions of others doesn't change the fact that you're opinion that it looks like an early 360 games doesn't stand up to the simple scrutiny of putting it side by side with early 360 games.

There's an obvious resolution difference between last and current-gen titles, let's get this out of the way.

Why I think CD3 looks rather dated is down to the character animations, world physics, simple angular design and the rather drab art style, it's cel shaded but doesn't look stylised.

My opinion of the visuals and the animations are similar- its not great, but servicable.

Alright then.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Or maybe some people will just not like it? There are plenty of games that sell great that people don't like. It happens.

I've never seen anyone create a new thread for the purpose of presenting a metacritic score as proof that a game is bad. Users here are capable of explaining for themselves why they like a game or not.
On, no. Not a deliberate thread, no. My mistake if I put it that way. But face discussion will come up about Crackdown and its meta ratings after we get good news about its numbers. Guaranteed.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
The lack of shadows on the vehicles is clearly a bug, right?

Cant believe thats a deliberate choice. Cant they put some ps2 level shadow maps?

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
....fam.....breh

SleepyNarrowDiamondbackrattlesnake-size_restricted.gif

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The old gifs are called pre-alpha footage for a reason, you didn't think the game would look like that, do you OP? With the development hell it's been through, lol

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
There's an obvious resolution difference between last and current-gen titles, let's get this out of the way.

Why I think CD3 looks rather dated is down to the character animations, world physics, simple angular design and the rather drab art style, it's cel shaded but doesn't look stylised.

Alright then.

Even if you ignore the resolution, Your claim doesn't hold up to light scrutiny. Crackdown 1 in 4K doesn't look close to Crackdown 3. There's footage of both games running On Xbox one X's readily available.

The animations aren't great. The physics... I don't see what issues anyone would have with the physics... The artstyle is subjective and really isn't beholden to a time period.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Game looks rough and will likely go the way of Agents of Mayhem.

At least it's not going to be $60, though, right?

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK

I've decided to post a couple of Crackdown shots running on X, just to make a visual comparison to show off how little has changed.

a65a3ac7-97a9-4db3-a006-49247066cc24.PNG

2e32085d-47eb-4aad-8669-122b83d3ca41.PNG

I don't know about you all in here but I can barely tell the difference.

All I do know is that next Friday CD3 is getting played until I find every green shining orb in that city.

Oct 27, 2017
OP apparently didn't actually want to discuss because he created the thread and hasn't posted in it since...

The game isn't a looker, but I wouldn't call it a downgrade since all we saw before the full-blown reveal was basically tech demo stuff. My guess is the game was basically started over when it was handed to Sumo, with a mandate to salvage what they could and just get it finished as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
People can dissect the graphics all they want but the game still looks incredibly fun to me and there isn't much else like it. Hope this one does well.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Even if you ignore the resolution, Your claim doesn't hold up to light scrutiny. Crackdown 1 in 4K doesn't look close to Crackdown 3. There's footage of both games running On Xbox one X's readily available.

You're missing the point here, I'm not saying the two are identical, this much should be clear.

But go ahead and add a bit of bloom, neon and better textures in the original Crackdown and you might understand where I'm coming from.

The animations aren't great. The physics... I don't see what issues anyone would have with the physics... The artstyle is subjective and really isn't beholden to a time period.

You haven't noticed the wonky physics? I can't gif right now, but I can share some moments from the previews later tomorrow.

Let me see if I can simplify my issue with the artstyle. It seems to be stuck between two different art styles and the end result doesn't look particular good.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I like how it looks and I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

It is a bit of a disappointment that the destruction isn't part of the campaign at all. I know it was never really planned to be, but it really would have helped separate the game from a lot of other open world games and there really hasn't been a good dustructible environment game since Red Faction Guerrilla last Gen.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
yeah but wouldn't be wiser to just straight up cancel it like they did with Scalebound and invest that money somewhere else?
It's just sad that we can not expect quality games from Microsoft if it's not Gears of War, Halo or Forza.

I really really hope to get quality games from them next gen onwards.
they invested too much in it too cancel it.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Outside of the complexity of the destruction, the game looks leagues better than the 2015 demo.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Wow, someone actually said Crackdown 1 on X looks better than 3... that's like factually wrong. No amount of opinion changes the fact.

Person's probably trolling most likely, it's best to ignore and move on.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It's no rdr2 or spider-man, but it looks like how it needs to for what they want to accomplish

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a last gen open world PC game like Sleeping Dogs. And this game was never an extremely high budget game either like GTA V or something. I don't think it's trolling to say that Sleeping Dogs and Crackdown 3 are at least in the same ballpark visually. (Credit to deejae on Flickr)
16280636100_749161edf2_k_d.jpg

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Crackdown has always looks bad. Crackdown 1 did, Crackdown 2 did and now Crackdown 3 will complete the circle. Hopefully the game is still fun to play.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
are those last gifs actually from a recent build??

because they look like ass (relative to being a AAA 2019 game)

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how good Infamous still looks while being almost a PS4 launch game.
I lament that, for as amazing as I:SS looks and plays, there isn't really much to do in its sandbox after finishing the main story. You can get all the drones, clear out all the bases, and tag all the spots, but once that's over, there's not much left for you, and in an open world that's that big, it was kind of alarming realizing that I'd exhausted most of what the game had to offer (beyond a mostly-identical Evil playthrough on Hard) in just twelve hours or so.

But I'm getting off-topic. It's still a visual knockout, even today. Go play Last Light on a PS4 Pro in HDR and turn on 60FPS mode. It's a visual delight.

I just hope that where Crackdown suffers visually, it's still really fun to play. My GTX 1080 Ti should be more than enough to play this game at a locked 1440/60, so I'm hoping the PC team is putting out all the stops.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I do not care at all how it looks visually. It looks like a blast and I need more Crackdown in my life. It looks absolutely fine. Not every game needs to be an absolute visual power house.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After how many games looked tons better in the reveal footage you start to really treasure the devs that really deliver. Naughty Dog, Insomniac, and Sucker Punch are good examples. Their reveals tend to look quite close to the final game.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
After how many games looked tons better in the reveal footage you start to really treasure the devs that really deliver. Naughty Dog, Insomniac, and Sucker Punch are good examples. Their reveals tend to look quite close to the final game.

Naughty Dog has made some poor decisions in the past as well. They went wrong with The Last of Us A.I. in the E3 demo and Uncharted 4 teaser trailer.

That said, Uncharted 4 and TLL gameplay reveal was similar to the final game so they're good in my books.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown is a AA tier series at best, a mediocre one at that. Always has been.

Expecting a fun game is one thing, but I don't know why you'd pin your hopes on a AAA turn for this franchise.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They actually released some early official screens too.

crackdown-3-agent-2png-73e76b.png

crackdown-3-agentpng-73e76a.png

crackdown-3-agent-citypng-73e76c.png

Here's how those fare versus the most recent screens (Jan 19 and E3 2018).

468545.jpg

468543.jpg

crackdown-3-new-providence-1528681012104.png

crackdown-3-orb-1528681012104.png

The game certainly isn't RDR2 or God Of War in terms of technical achievements, but those claiming this looks like an early-360 game are clearly trolling. You can not like the artstyle, but these visuals would clearly not be possible on last-gen hardware.