• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Score

• 1-2

Votes: 186 10.0%
  • 2-4

Votes: 241 13.0%
  • 4-6

Votes: 582 31.3%
  • 6-8

Votes: 565 30.4%
  • 8-10

Votes: 284 15.3%

• Total voters

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I'd give it a 7. Having it virtually stopped some of the more sillier elements from raising their head. it was mostly down to business. But man, was this a long ass show.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Perfect Dark is the single biggest Game Awards announcement (for me) that I can recall, so I'd put it in the 8-10 range.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
+Sephiroth

-Does not need to be three hours

-Should have more time dedicated to the developers. I would love to see mini profiles on the creators, especially those who made GotY nominated titles.

-Not the awards fault but jeez how many coop shooters do we need?

It was overall well produced, I know it must've been an incredible challenge to pull it off.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little stunned that the Mass Effect franchise has enough capital left to be worthy of a vague "one final announcement" trailer for something we already knew about.

Also, the show was much, much, much better without an audience. They weren't forced into as many cringeworthy gags.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
No one cares about the awards.
Entertaining enough.
Some good trailers.
Filler moments that felt out of place.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Honestly I would give it a 6/10

Can't go wrong with Eddie Vedder.

But seriously, Perfect Dark, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Back 4 Blood, It Takes Two were good announcements, shame only one of those had actual gameplay. I also liked the new game being made by the folks from Black Desert, I think it's more single player focused? Yeah, that looked nice besides rough framerate.

Also some good additions like Flight Simulator Series X footage and Game Pass announcements, it was solid, not a killer show, but very good especially since we're living on a pandemic world.

It dragged too much tho, this could easily be a 1:40-2:00 hours show, and be a 7-8/10 but gotta put some AD on it I guess.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
1 for me. I only even remembered the game awards from that thread where Sony said to tune it so like Dewey, I came in expecting nothing and was still disappointed. The way they speed run through the awards and weird ass categories like best upcoming valorant player just reminded me why I don't really pay attention to TGA.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I turned it off around the Vin Diesel time, and was busy cooking/eating dinner much of the time before that so wasn't paying close attention.

Not an enjoyable show and the reveals that I saw were mostly weak (there are so many known 2021 games I would have rather seen).

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it, as usual. A lot of cool games shown, especially smaller titles, and I agree with most of the awards.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
1-2. It was easily the worst TGA yet for me, so far. Too much multiplayer/streamer/celebrity stuff that didn't appeal to me at all, plus CG trailers galore.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
With the Academy Awards and the Grammys the nominees themselves are part of the overall product. There's entertainment value in seeing a celebrity you like or watching how they react to winning. Game development is highly collaborative and most developers are essentially faceless to the public. There are certainly some star programmers and project directors out there, but for the average gamer a game development team is as anonymous as the automotive team that works on the Honda Civic each year.

This is a bit of a ramble, but I think the game awards are trying to "televise" something that doesn't have much inherent entertainment value for those outside of the industry. Reminds me a bit of how the technical Oscars are given out at a separate event off camera. Most people find traditional celebrity award shows boring, so the game awards definitely has an uphill battle.

The world premieres are fun, but part of me thinks the commercialization cheapens things a bit. Like this is the only way a "serious" awards show in this industry can survive.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bit of a ramble, but I think the game awards are trying to "televise" something that doesn't have much inherent entertainment value for those outside of the industry. Reminds me a bit of how the technical Oscars are given out at a separate event off camera. Most people find traditional celebrity award shows boring, so the game awards definitely has an uphill battle.

It bears acknowledging that those shows hire some of the industry's top writers to whip up entertaining banter and skits and are much more heavily produced in terms of pacing and flow from one presentation to the next.

Geoff literally just reading award after award with no fanfare or even images from the games that were nominated is amateur hour stuff. He might be good at getting companies to show their wares, but beyond that he's no great TV producer. The whole event felt clunky and arbitrarily assembled.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It bears acknowledging that those shows hire some of the industry's top writers to whip up entertaining banter and skits and are much more heavily produced in terms of pacing and flow from one presentation to the next.

Geoff literally just reading award after award with no fanfare or even images from the games that were nominated is amateur hour stuff. He might be good at getting companies to show their wares, but beyond that he's no great TV producer. The whole event felt clunky and arbitrarily assembled.

Yeah, this sticks out to me. How come they don't play a clip of the game when the say it's title? Weird.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
7. Xbox's announcements were fantastic, Sony's and Nintendo's good if a partial letdown, third party hit or miss with Warhammer and It Takes Two the highlights. TLOU 2 borderline sweeping made the awards part kinda boring tbh and the Ori snubs smarts.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely was a big win for me personally, because Perfect Dark is one of my favorite games ever made, but with that and Smash happening so early, it did make the rest of the show drag for me. I'd give it a 7 myself.

Oct 27, 2017
It felt pretty hollow to me, like pretty much every event with most everyone on a webcam this year. I get why that is, but it just makes me think they should have cancelled it for the year. I'm sure next years event will be much better. The announcements were on the weaker side, but this year has sucked so no surprise there, not much Geoff can do about that. I'm sure next year will be an improvement.

RebelDeux

Nov 20, 2017
I'm surprised that there's wasn't any big announcements or new trailers? Like Nintendo, WB, Sony, have upcoming games in advanced development that could have been teased and yet they hold the info.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Eo7QlL0VQAEHR88

this is not a meme

this is a lifestyle

this is a tattoo
Gorgeous

Oct 30, 2017
It was great. I don't think every event needs a score.

It had great appearances and some neat games to show. Geoff clearly worked really hard on this.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
6. Wasn't bad but wasn't great. I think the lack of an audience somehow did make it feel weirder though.

Neuromancer

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I think it sucks that they blow through so many of the awards in the preshow or do a bunch of awards rapid fire. It's not like the reveals were that exciting this year.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I was actually really pleased. Overall the production was good, cringe was less of a factor, some great announcements.

Nov 20, 2017
7 and idk why. it didn't really have anything to hype me but I enjoyed the presentation. No chance for cringe moments cuz covid restrictions

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Like a 5 or a 6. Too long and most of the world premieres were extremely underwhelming.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
8-10. For the first once that I actually watched, I enjoyed it. I usually skip it and just read about the announcements or watch reactions but it was fun watching it with a few friends on discord.

The announcements were pretty good in my book and I'm glad to see Perfect Dark reboot. Pretty much the winners are what I expected.

The one glaring issue however was Nintendo. They had absolutely nothing outside of the Smash reveal despite showing up plenty times in the show. There was a ton of times that Nintendo pops in and shows 30 seconds ads for shit we've already seen, like whats the point. Or the insultingly short Mario medley. Like what's the fucking point Nintendo. You don't have anything to show and your presence overall was extremely lackluster. Not saying Microsoft and Sony knocked it out of the park, but we at least got some new information from them on upcoming software.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4/10
Mediocre... boring show. And still too long. 3 hours and 50 minutes. Almost 4 hours again. That's just WAY too long.

chatsquared

Nov 19, 2020
4/10. Some of the indie reveals were really cool and of course Sephiroth/Perfect Dark but when it comes to the awards I felt like some of the winners were either predictable or head-scratching. Like how on earth does Microsoft Flight Simulator win an award in a category where it's barely in the same genre as the rest? How did Doom Eternal not win a single award? And on top of that, I understand that TLOU2 won most of the categories it was in but a side effect of that was that it limited how many of the devs were given a direct platform to accept recognition for their games. I don't think anyone from Supergiant got to speak at all. I went into this thinking that I wouldn't care who won but with how I'm reacting to how little variety between studios there was in the awards given I guess I've proven myself wrong.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
well, i never watch the tga, i just watch the trailers the day after. so its usually a cozy 5 or 6, and this year was no different

dont give 2 shits about the awards themselves, frankly.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why not just announce the wooper watch at the beginning and let us know if it was updated to a wooper warning? careless.