• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this was posted, but it looks like we'll be getting some actual Hilda merchandise this fall:

ER5DRxKWsAUTetB
oh no

they're adorable

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Ducktales returning to Disney's wasteland, Disney XD?
They likely figure it's low risk to put things on XD again. If they fail there then they will hit disney+ later and they will have the exact data of who watches it when it hits there.

get enough people hooked on series on Disney+ and maybe people will sub to XD for those series as new seasons air. People have shown time and time again that they are impatient :P

which reminds me, you all should go watch Milo Murphy's law so we can maybe get a third season after the new Phineas and Ferb movie.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So the Scoob! movie
is gonna feature various Hana barbera characters.
Dick Dastardly being the main antagonist in this movie is...fitting.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
So the Scoob! movie
is gonna feature various Hana barbera characters.
Dick Dastardly being the main antagonist in this movie is...fitting.
hopefully its not as dire as one guy who got to see an advanced screening of the film described it
that leak did NOT paint a pretty picture of this movie

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Y'all remember how in the premiere episodes of Justice League Season 1 involved Supes dismantling nukes around the world which in turn allowed the alien invasion to succeed?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Cartoon Network's actually advertising DC Superhero Girls today, and putting a whole block of it on.

Quite surprised.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you haven't seen Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, the ride based on the Paul Rudish Mickey Mouse shorts, you can give it a check here, they did a great job on this one:

Are the Paul Rudish shorts over now? I dunno if a six season has been announced yet or not, but if they are ending on Carried Away as the final short and Runaway Railway as the final hurrah, that's a mighty strong point to end them on.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't seen Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, the ride based on the Paul Rudish Mickey Mouse shorts, you can give it a check here, they did a great job on this one:

Are the Paul Rudish shorts over now? I dunno if a six season has been announced yet or not, but if they are ending on Carried Away as the final short and Runaway Railway as the final hurrah, that's a mighty strong point to end them on.

Idk seems weird for me to end the shorts here when the ride was just done. They also created a new episode for disneyland thats basically a clip show/advertisement for the park itself so i dont think its completely over

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
The whole crux of the episode was Stewie afraid of getting dumber with age, and being shown that his sibling were smarter when they were his age. The basic premise of the episode was the same as the one where Lisa was afraid she was going to turn dumb after a certain age because Homer and Bart were smart when they were her age. I'll give them credit for going a different Family Guy-ish route for the episode.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole crux of the episode was Stewie afraid of getting dumber with age, and being shown that his sibling were smarter when they were his age. The basic premise of the episode was the same as the one where Lisa was afraid she was going to turn dumb after a certain age because Homer and Bart were smart when they were her age. I'll give them credit for going a different Family Guy-ish route for the episode.
Every Family guy episode where they expect you to care or empathize with any of the characters is a failure.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017

Brian being his usual asshole self berating Stewie for saving his life.

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished watching both parts of Infinity Train.

Goddamn, I love everything they've done with this. It's such a gripping show and the storytelling is spectacular. Part 2 in particular, especially it's back half, is a real unique sci-fi journey to watch.

I'm kinda upset it's an anthology show because I'd love to see Jesse and Lake again. Lake literally kicks ass. I imagine the next part will be about the Apex kids though.

Also, I've been catching up on Owl House and have also been enjoying it. The slight horror imagery shines nicely.

Oct 26, 2017

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

"Stay tuned for a special annoucement"

Might be some news about the "Distant Lands" specials coming up.

... god, has it really been 10 years...

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah i wish we got more from the tease. it seems like that sword might be from the opening because otherwise im not sure what else could it be.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I need a good laugh right about now. What are people vaguely arguing this time?
A guy called out the new ground art style for being overly gross and that being a veil for racist, homophobic, and other bigotry.

The call out post was in reference to the "cal art style" claims "let's call this newgrounds style". This caused his comments to be flooded about him supposedly being jealous of oni and calling him a failed person with a rejected pilot. After that people finally fought on he was making fun of it in reference to cal arts and started claiming cal arts style was inferior to new grounds style. And now newgrounds is trending on Twitter

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
A guy called out the new ground art style for being overly gross and that being a veil for racist, homophobic, and other bigotry.

The call out post was in reference to the "cal art style" claims "let's call this newgrounds style". This caused his comments to be flooded about him supposedly being jealous of oni and calling him a failed person with a rejected pilot. After that people finally fought on he was making fun of it in reference to cal arts and started claiming cal arts style was inferior to new grounds style. And now newgrounds is trending on Twitter

Ah, so it's business as usual?

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
at the very least, it's nice to see many animators from the newgrounds era doing well today

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I guess, this argument is weird. I feel like this thing is two groups of people who don't want to be criticized making broad generalizations that make the other group upset

All the more reason why I tune myself out when someone says something looks like the "Calarts Style" as a derogatory term for "I hate this." Especially when that statement holds no weight to begin with when it was originally a fabrication of some washed up pedophile of a cartoonist to justify his "This is wrong, I am right, & anything you say goes against what I believe." methodology to criticize the bulk of Disney animated productions from the 1990's.

It's pretty hilarious when nearly all the examples of "Calarts Style" don't actually come from the art school of the same name, and the show headrunners being criticized didn't even go to CalArts. :/

The moral of the story: THERE. IS. NO. CALIFORNIA. ARTS. STYLE!

It doesn't exist.

Dec 25, 2018
I don't really care much for those debates, there's a whole bunch of factors that feed into how an animation looks but hasn't what's been considered 'the cal-arts style' changed over the years? I remember an interview with an animator somewhere (It might have been one who worked on My Life As A Teenage Robot could be wrong), where he first heard the term it was originally people criticising styles that where similar to Glenn Keene's Disney Princess look, when they were in the industry it was people criticising 2000s shows like the one he worked on and Invader Zim with the big focus on shapes, there was a look criticised for looking like 'Flash Animation', then the last time I paid attention to it, the whole bean thing (do people still go on about the bean?).

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember there was something that I learned back in the 1990's when I was reading a bunch of manga and watching a bunch of anime, and wondering why the anime didn't look exactly like the manga it was based on.

It's because there's really only one person who can draw like the manga artist, and that's the manga artist. And one lone manga artist can hardly dream of animating their own work.

An anime is made by a lead artist who draws like the lead artist (not the manga artist), and they have to come up with an art style for the animation that is within their own abilities that implies the style of the manga artist, while it must also be within the abilities of the entire team of artists working under the lead artist, that way the group of artists can put together some work that blends together in a reasonable timeframe.

If that need to get everyone on the same page working together as a team for one common goal results in a particular school of animation that many of the artists learned from becoming apparent, or some of the latest popular styles and trends becoming apparent... uhh... okay? That's kind of exactly how that works.

If you want 100% unique art, go to your local art exhibit and look at some paintings. If you just want moderately higher budgets so the animators can spend more time making their art look distinct, open up your wallet and pay more money for your animation. Oh, you as an individual can't fund an entire cartoon by yourself? Well, you're not going to solve the economics of animation by shitting on the animation that does exist.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Toonrific Tariq recently put out this analysis of the Proud Family:

It's a long watch, but worth checking out since he actually interviewed the show's creator in it