• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
There's an HD version of Threads now? The original was disturbing enough!
Who the hell would want to see that kitten burning again in HD !!!!!! (yeah Threads pulls no punches).

As for the topic as others have said I think it is unlikely the major superpowers will do anything stupid with nukes even with President Dumbass of US and President in denial of Russia in charge. India and Pakistan possibly the hatred there knows no boundary. But I think the odds are pretty grim that a terrorist organisation will get their hands on a device and fuck shit up that way.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is that what the other posters in this thread are doing? I think most of them have rationales. Yours is literally just, "thing happened in the past ergo it will happen in the future." Which simply isn't a good argument. It's the laziest sort of induction.
This entire thing is guesswork. Literally everyone is taking a guess with absolutely no verifiable rhyme or reason and certainly no proof.

Pakistan? Why? Because they are scary brown people? Like seriously its laughable.

Russia? Why? Because they are crazy and want world domination?

Meanwhile an agressive nation who is in a constant state of war, with a leader who has already alluded to using nukes and has the temperament of a baby is a strench?

That's why I'm laughing my ass off. It's not like I suggested "Bahamas". I suggested a legitimate nation who had used it, makes threats to use it and is actually willing to kill people in war.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The moment a country laucnhes a nuke it will trigger a nuclear war and the world will be gone.
I'd like to believe no country wants that.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
This entire thing is guesswork. Literally everyone is taking a guess with absolutely no verifiable rhyme or reason and certainly no proof.

I'm aware there's no proof. Doesn't mean there aren't better and worse rational arguments.

Pakistan? Why? Because they are scary brown people? Like seriously its laughable.

That's obviously not the only thing going on because people have focused on it above India.

Russia? Why? Because they are crazy and want world domination?

Did anyone in this thread say Russia?

Meanwhile an agressive nation who is in a constant state of war, with a leader who has already alluded to using nukes and has the temperament of a baby is a strench?

That's why I'm laughing my ass off. It's not like I suggested "Bahamas". I suggested a legitimate nation who had used it, makes threats to use it and is actually willing to kill people in war.

It's not about your choice. It's about the simplest possible historical induction you used to justify it. That the US used a nuke before is no better an argument to suggest that America is the most likely state to use them again than suggesting Japan is the most likely state to have them used upon it because that's the only place that has been nuked. You're now attempting slightly to add to that, by adding incredibly broad stroke observations to it, but you're not offering a take informed by much other than edge.

America is the hegemon, it benefits more than all other nations from general stability. That alone makes it pretty unlikely to nuke anyone.

It was a lazy post, that even you must realize wasn't great because you're trying to add to it now.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Most of you are wrong IMO

The biggest risk is an accidental launch or explosion. This could have disastrous consequences, because the other side may think it's an attack.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a lazy post, that even you must realize wasn't great because you're trying to add to it now.
Because I added to my post, it means I realize my original post was lazy? So, you want me to just copy and paste the same post over and over again as a means to "show conviction"? That's not how it works.

Even with that said, I haven't changed my opinion much at all. Pointing to history was just one part of the argument. The other part is that America is in a constant state of war (Gulf War, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria etc) which is a damn good preamble for using nuclear weapons.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
A weapon on the level of Hiroshima/Nagasaki? I doubt that'll happen again. Nuclear weapons is such a broad term now. Modern nuclear weapons can be set to different yields from 100s of kilotons to less than 1 (Little Boy and Fat Man were 15 and 21, respectively). I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that a low-yield nuclear bomb gets used in the future.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
It's difficult to say because nukes have thrown us head-first into an unprecedented age. In the thousands of years humans have lived, we're only 70 odd years out from developing the capability to wipe out civilization in a matter of hours. Having been born decades after it happened, I can only imagine witnessing the world change overnight. J. Robert Oppenheimer's dead facial expression in this video from recounting the first atomic bomb detonation in the Manhattan Project can give me an idea of what that's like.

My fear is that, as generations move farther and farther away from the people who witnessed, survived, or heard about Hiroshima and the frequent nuclear tests afterward, we grow ignorant about their power.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's pretty much inevitable that a nuke gets used again someday. Too many rogue states continuing to gain access to them, and there's no real way to stop them from doing so. Let's say you trust the checks and balances in place for those who currently have nukes. That won't remain true for an indefinite amount of time into the future.