• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I'd agree but I imagine that might pose an issue for Bamco(and a lot of people on here) because it would probably restrict it to Switch.
I know that, and, well, it's just how it is. Besides, a Switch game is better than no game.
I mean...it's not like they are needed for a rerelease. I can understand like a remake or something. But for a port, Monolith isn't a necessary part.

Well Bamco owns Saga, so Monolith need not be involved.
I didn't say they need to be involved, I said I want them to be involved. And Harada agrees.

Oct 25, 2017
SMT I suppose is possible to get a collection at some point. Aside from SJ and IV/Apocalypse, none of the games have gotten any recent releases, so there would probably be a good amount of interest in a full series collection.

Of course, Atlus is more likely to do individual remasters (although I/II/if would probably be grouped together).

The fact that people still think a single currently vaporware game is a good example of "caring" is bizarre. This was a series that used to get several games, to go down to 1 for years means it lost almost all the relevance it once had to the company. They don't bother even with simple ports. And I'm not doing anything besides criticizing them over it which is totally fine, not wise to put all your eggs in one basket.

Uh, when did SMT ever get several games in a short amount of time past like 1994? There was a 9 year gap (skipping over an entire generation!) between II/if and Nocturne, followed by another 6 years between Nocturne and Strange Journey, followed by 4 years between SJ and IV, and Apocalypse another 3 years later. As you can see, they've actually been putting new SMT games out faster in recent years, not slower.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, when did SMT ever get several games in a short amount of time past like 1994? There was a 9 year gap (skipping over an entire generation!) between II/if and Nocturne, followed by another 6 years between Nocturne and Strange Journey, followed by 4 years between SJ and IV, and Apocalypse another 3 years later. As you can see, they've actually been putting new SMT games out faster in recent years, not slower.
I'm talking about the general Megaten franchise with its subseries and etc. The idea of getting only SMTV in years without the subseries seems like a stepback to me. Less room for experimentation and unique settings too.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about the general Megaten franchise with its subseries and etc. The idea of getting only SMTV in years without the subseries seems like a stepback to me. Less room for experimentation and unique settings too.

Okay, that's fair, but I think that's much more because of increased costs of getting games out. Back on the PS2 or DS Atlus could put out a lot of spinoffs without the cost being too great, but there's not really a great option for doing that today. SMT and Persona take up a lot more resources than they did in the past, and stuff like Devil Survivor loses out due to that. But it's certainly not that Atlus doesn't care about SMT.

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
i don't think we'll see xenosaga. the sales weren't anything mindblowing so they'd probably rather work on other stuff. i'd love to see it someday though!

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The fact that people still think a single currently vaporware game is a good example of "caring" is bizarre. This was a series that used to get several games, to go down to 1 for years means it lost almost all the relevance it once had to the company. They don't bother even with simple ports. And I'm not doing anything besides criticizing them over it which is totally fine, not wise to put all your eggs in one basket.

Strange Journey Redux was from 2017/2018 (international). The main issue here is just that they stuck too long with the 3ds.

That said, I really feel like there's something odd going on with their PS2 output. It's really odd that they never got any updated versions or got their assets reused for future games out of PS2 titles themselves. Maybe we'll finally see that now, but it almost seems like due to some internal factor within Atlus all those games will continue in limbo. Hopefully SMTV's engine and assets end up being the source for a new wave of spin-offs.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I actually commissioned Dijeh to translate the pieces of Kazuma Kaneko's SMTIV scenario drafts.

If you are interested, here it is:

https://dijehtranslations.wordpress.com/2018/11/03/smt-iv-draft-scenario/

I had never seen that before. It's kind of interesting that the main scenario seems to follow Kaneko's draft very closely at least for the beginning included there, but then there was a whole "past chapter" that was cut and reduced to vague backstory.

The backstory of the final game also doesn't seem to quite fit the past chapter, although it explains some of the discrepancies in npc dialogue in SMTIV (Stephen is the one who spread the demon summoning program in the final version of IV, but in the Chaos World you get a demon claiming that the demon invasion started due to God's plan, which fits that draft where Gaby was the one who introduced the Demon Summoning Program).

It also seems like the Strange Journey references were all added after the draft, even Burroughs as an actual character. I guess that why Apocalypse just kept the ones that were already on IV and didn't really attempt to integrate them into the setting any further (like Mem Aleph having no role in spite of the huge statue in the Gaea temple and Mastema reduced to a summonable demon with no story role).