• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
And I don't know but Use of Weapons rubbed me the wrong way, It is a better written book than a couple I put ahead but in the end as a character study is too vague I think.
I think it's interesting to think about
how Culture SC exploits Zakalwe's vulnerability and the possibility of his final act of apology being an "use of weapon".

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I'm reading T Kingfisher's Summer in Orcus, described as 'Narnia with teeth':
43888017.jpg

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I didn't realize that Paul Tremblay has a short story collection coming out in July. It feels like Cabin at the End of the World just came out.

I think it's interesting to think about
how Culture SC exploits Zakalwe's vulnerability and the possibility of his final act of apology being an "use of weapon".

Def but I don't know they leave it to vague,
like if his handler knew everything.
it just leaves it as SC been SC and we can't do much with the information in the book and in the series.

I suppose that is my problem, it never ascends to the brilliance it should and Player of Games gets to the same point with a more definitive conclusion.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Finished up The Dirt and The Heroin Diaries last month. Now I'm going through Ozzy's bio and the oral history of Joy Division.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
51tLr%2BS83YL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Haven't taken Spanish in 15 years (high school), so I'm reading through this book. Surprisingly easy to parse out meanings of words I don't understand.

Once I'm "comfortably" done with that, I'm hoping to be able to read through The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho over the summer, but the Spanish version.

If all goes well, I'll give learning Italian a try for the latter half of 2019.

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
6285903.jpg

Finished Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding, the first book in the Ketty Jay series. It was decent enough for me to want to continue the series but not quite up there with other books I've read this year. No shame in that though. Steampunk Firefly is an apt description (you can definitely see the inspiration) although it never hits the heights of the show in terms of character/crew interaction and dialogue. I'm sticking with it because it's still a fun read and moves quickly. The latter generally works in its favor but there are times when it becomes more tell than show and some developments feel unearned or rushed as a result. Gave it a 3/5 rating on goodreads.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
6285903.jpg

Finished Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding, the first book in the Ketty Jay series. It was decent enough for me to want to continue the series but not quite up there with other books I've read this year. No shame in that though. Steampunk Firefly is an apt description (you can definitely see the inspiration) although it never hits the heights of the show in terms of character/crew interaction and dialogue. I'm sticking with it because it's still a fun read and moves quickly. The latter generally works in its favor but there are times when it becomes more tell than show and some developments feel unearned or rushed as a result. Gave it a 3/5 rating on goodreads.

I had the same reaction. It's ok. It's rare that I don't continue a series, but this one didn't grab me enough to go on.

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
I had the same reaction. It's ok. It's rare that I don't continue a series, but this one didn't grab me enough to go on.
Yeah. I'm the same. Rare for me to drop a series. Often I put them on the backburner always intending to get back to them eventually. Sometimes years later than intended. It's usually due to something in the writing constantly pulling me out of the story, which this one avoided.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Started reading infinite jest, I literally know nothing about the book other then it has a following and a friend of mine told me "it's made for you".

Super early on but I'm enjoying it. Writing is fun, he has a great use of language

Edit: lol should have waited for next months thread, well whatever I'll copy and paste over

Mar 19, 2019
I'm a bit of a teaboo, so I read a lot of British fantasy (among other genres from other countries, but British fantasy is a popular choice for me), and The Ninth Rain is my most recent read.

29758013.jpg

The Ninth Rain focuses on wars between the dream-stalking Eborans and the worm-esque alien invaders Jure'lia. The Eborans, on each invasion, enlist the help of their tree-god Ygseril, who unleashes a rain of its own sap which desecrates the Jure'lia forces, but upon the Eighth Rain the tree had died, sacrificing itself to kill the queen of the Eborans' enemies.

No longer able to sustain itself on their god, the Eborans turned to human blood as the only viable substitute. Thus, war broke out between humankind and those who had used to be their saviors.

It was a great read; it could've fallen into every trap of triteness and cliche in the book, but after The Copper Cat, Jen Williams again displays absolute mastery of the craft. A cohesive timeline of an intriguing history, grand story-telling and prose that flows. I can speak no ill of The Ninth Rain.

Though, something my teaboo-ness helped me discover is my genuine passion for the classic British-styled crime novel -- whodunits, the school of mystery writing accentuating above all else the puzzle aspect of the crime, focusing on providing the reader with all information needed to solve the crime, but presented in a manner where it is a challenge (albeit a fair and structured one) to do so. I've been reading quite a good number of these.

Beyond the obvious choices like Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot and Jane Marple, Ngaio Marsh's Roderick Alleyn (not a fan), Dorothy L. Sayers's Lord Peter Wimsey and John Dickson Carr's Dr. Gideon Fell, I've also been reading Michael Innes's Detective John Appleby, Anthony Berkeley's Roger Shermingham, Freeman Wills Crofts' Inspector French and so on.

My last read here was Roger Sheringham and the Vane Mystery and it was grand. Anthony Berkeley continues his theme of criticizing the rules and standards of the detective fiction genre without explicitly going out of his way to break them in ways that make his novels barely recognizable as a detective story.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
6285903.jpg

Oh wow! I haven't heard of Chris Wooding in a looooong time. I really enjoyed the Broken Sky series by him in elementary school; I was obsessed with the covers at the scholastic book fair.