delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Maybe we will be able to re-read some of our aged-like-fine-wine posts that never garnered much attention in the past? Or maybe we can fondly look back at some of the aged-like-milk posts we have here while doing some rounds? Let's share some time capsules!

ResetEra has been active for quite some time, so I think it's probably time to retrospectively look back and see how much has changed since we predicted what our future holds since then.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
"Series S is the new PS2".

Last edited:

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
I don't know if it counts OP, but I remember seeing a thread that was titled something to the effect of 'Where were you when you found out that Spider-man was joining the MCU'. I clicked into it expecting it to be a joke thread but no, the OP was dead serious. Like a comic book character being in a comic book movie was comparable to 9/11 or the moon landing or something. Bizarre.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The "trying to get a PS5 or Series X" thread where it felt like nobody was able to get either one due to scalpers/bots/etc. was madness. And now you can find shelves stacked with them at places like Target. Can't wait to repeat this with Switch 2. Good times.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Obviously this is a classic. This is the first time I remember Era feeling like a legit community after the switch over from Gaf... even Nintendo got involved sort of.

www.resetera.com

Is there a January Nintendo Direct? Find out next time on ResetEra!

Edit: Edit2: 1upmuffin has requested we put a link to the Nintendo ERA discord here so that people can join up and chat if they'd like, even after all this is over: NintendoERA Discord: https://discord.gg/WvvZ68b --- With 2018 right around the corner and the Nintendo Switch lighting up...

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Phil Spencer pushed relentlessly for Xbox Game Pass despite some Xbox staff saying it wouldn't work

interesting profile of Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer @WSJ, and how he pushed relentlessly for Xbox Game Pass… despite some Xbox staff saying it wouldn't work https://wsj.com/articles/microsofts-videogame-boss-and-the-long-battle-to-reinvent-the-company-11643912561

The entire first page of this thread feels like an alternate universe of reactions

Edit: i know it isnt 5 years ago but given whats happened between then and since it feels so

Also this thread with people confused about Andor being a thing is so funny compared to reactions today

Last edited:

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
I don't know if it counts OP, but I remember seeing a thread that was titled something to the effect of 'Where were you when you found out that Spider-man was joining the MCU'. I clicked into it expecting it to be a joke thread but no, the OP was dead serious. Like a comic book character being in a comic book movie was comparable to 9/11 or the moon landing or something. Bizarre.
I actually do have a very vivid memory of my friend texting me "Check reddit" and instantly seeing it as the top post and obviously subsequently freaking out 😂

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
I actually do have a very vivid memory of my friend texting me "Check reddit" and instantly seeing it as the top post and obviously subsequently freaking out 😂
Don't get me wrong, it was big news in the space, but the thread was ridiculous.

www.resetera.com

Phil Spencer pushed relentlessly for Xbox Game Pass despite some Xbox staff saying it wouldn't work

interesting profile of Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer @WSJ, and how he pushed relentlessly for Xbox Game Pass… despite some Xbox staff saying it wouldn't work https://wsj.com/articles/microsofts-videogame-boss-and-the-long-battle-to-reinvent-the-company-11643912561

The entire first page of this thread feels like an alternate universe of reactions

Edit: i know it isnt 5 years ago but given whats happened between then and since it feels so
Jesus Christ, that first page alone..................

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
Haha I get what you mean, but I'm sure the OP didn't mean any harm by it. I mean, if a lot of people do have fun stories about it, why not share them? Sounds like OP wasn't actually invoking 9/11.
Trust me, I am not being the fun police here, the OP was unhinged and IIRC used to post about 10 marvel threads a day.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you are giving recent examples. OP said 5+ years ago

Obviously this is a classic. This is the first time I remember Era feeling like a legit community after the switch over from Gaf... even Nintendo got involved sort of.

www.resetera.com

Edit: Edit2: 1upmuffin has requested we put a link to the Nintendo ERA discord here so that people can join up and chat if they'd like, even after all this is over: NintendoERA Discord: https://discord.gg/WvvZ68b --- With 2018 right around the corner and the Nintendo Switch lighting up...

It is this. Holy hell was that thread a trip.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Not quite 5 years but this thread is WILD.

www.resetera.com

Do you think Corona virus might affect gaming landscape?

For example production of PC/console parts in China or Resident Evil 3 release. Not sure if releasing game about deadly outbreak would be a good idea in current situation (at least in Asia). It seems things are heading into pretty grim direction and Corona might affect a lot of segments, so I...

TimotheusNL

Jun 9, 2023
www.resetera.com

This one is wild to return to. The corporate cheerleading truly sends shivers down your spine. Big brain Phil steering and shaping the entire console industry indeed.

Shame he actually steered Xbox off a cliff while doing so.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
the abk acquisition thread

"abk will allow the xbox platform to better compete with playstation" (lol)

"microsoft will reverse course on abk management consolidating most of their resources onto a handful of IP and bring back dormant activision IP" (if anything, it seems instead that the abk strategy is spreading to xbox studios)

"the acquisition will be bad for bobby kotick" (he received a 9 figure payout)

"the acquisition will be good for workers" (thousands of people lost their jobs)

just inaccurate predictions all around

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Not quite 5 years but this thread is WILD.

www.resetera.com

Do you think Corona virus might affect gaming landscape?

For example production of PC/console parts in China or Resident Evil 3 release. Not sure if releasing game about deadly outbreak would be a good idea in current situation (at least in Asia). It seems things are heading into pretty grim direction and Corona might affect a lot of segments, so I...

Honestly it's hard to criticise everyone downplaying it in that thread. That was in early February when it really didn't seem like Covid was going to become what it did become.

I guess it was a mixture of people wishfully thinking it wouldn't be that bad, a reaction to the media always playing up viruses that turn out to be nothing and also just straight up none of us understanding what was happening at that time.

It's crazy to think how quickly everything escalated from there though. A month-ish later literally the entire world shut down. We went from "this is not going to be a thing" to "this is one of the biggest things to happen in our lifetimes" in like five weeks.

Derbel McDillet

â–² Legend â–²
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Honestly it's hard to criticise everyone downplaying it in that thread. That was in early February when it really didn't seem like Covid was going to become what it did become.

I guess it was a mixture of people wishfully thinking it wouldn't be that bad, a reaction to the media always playing up viruses that turn out to be nothing and also just straight up none of us understanding what was happening at that time.

It's crazy to think how quickly everything escalated from there though. A month-ish later literally the entire world shut down. We went from "this is not going to be a thing" to "this is one of the biggest things to happen in our lifetimes" in like five weeks.
I mean, most of these can be given that benefit of the doubt, we just choose not to for the sake of lolz. Most predictions are just vibes and wishful thinking.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I mean, most of these can be given that benefit of the doubt, we just choose not to for the sake of lolz. Most predictions are just vibes and wishful thinking.

I'm willing to give more leeway to people who didn't think a coronavirus would be a world-altering event than people who thought FFVII Remake would outsell Animal Crossing lol.

Also I guess I just find that more interesting as a time capsule than "Era was wrong about game sales". It's insane to me peoples attitudes towards Covid literally weeks before the whole world went to shit (and I include myself in that too) - it's just fascinating how quickly everything was shifting at that time.

St. Eam the 3rd

â–² Legend â–²
Aug 18, 2022

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Lol I sometimes like looking back at my Smash Ultimate avatar threads and seeing all the crow people ate for saying Ridley and K. Rool will never be in Smash or aren't relevant enough.

www.resetera.com

ERA, it's time to Ridlify your avatars.

The purple space dragon is about to be announced for Smash so let's get festive! If you would like a Ridley added to your avatar in some way, feel free to request it in this thread! Or if you're man of simple tastes, grab one of his big body parts below! I'll do what I can with my shop skills...

www.resetera.com

ERA, it's time to K.Roolify your avatars.

The Krazy King of the Kremlings is about to be announced for Smash so let's get festive! If you would like King K.Rool added to your avatar in some way, feel free to request it in this thread! Myself and other will do what we can! We willed Ridley into existence...

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I looked through my old Smash prediction posts and unexpectedly came across me almost, but not quite, nailing Steve's inclusion.

What would Steve's fighter name be, anyway? I don't think it would be "Steve" because his alts would likely be a bunch of Minecraft characters, similar to the Inklings.

"Minecrafter"?

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
So I saw the reddit games posts that perhaps spurred this one and one of the comment threads had me search for this article from 2020.

Here's the Resetera Thread on it - Matt Booty (Xbox): Our Titles for the next year or two will not be next gen exclusive.

The article itself is wild for how he accurately identifies major problems they could run into and just how much Xbox leadership has failed to address them in the years since. Also just interesting that with games like Pentiment and Grounded going to PS4 this year, they are maybe releasing more cross-gen games on Sony devices in 2024 than Sony is.

Keep in mind as you read this spoilt milk, this interview was before MS announced the purchase of Bethesda and obviously before ABK:

It's the first time in 15 years that we'll have a Halo title launching in sync with a new console. And that team is definitely going to be doing things to take advantage of the [Series X]

First of all, we need to deliver on the promises that we make. So if we say a game is going to ship at a certain time, we've got to get that done, we just need to get better at executing.

We need to make sure that we hold the bar high on quality, and that we're releasing games that we can be proud of and that fans can be proud of as Xbox exclusives.

We may or may not acquire more studios down the road, but I think that we hit a point where we had gone through a phase of adding new studios. And that's a lot of work to make sure that we get the studios onboarded correctly, that we make sure that everyone feels secure.

Every studio has its own culture, their own way of thinking. We put a lot of energy into making sure they understand that their culture will be preserved, they'll be unique... We've done enough of that and now we need to just shift over to working on the games.

... Because I think we could, not that we would do this, but we could just keep going and buy more-and-more studios, and then maybe wake up one day and realize, like, 'wait a minute, we need to focus on making the games.' We need to keep the end goal in mind, which is to make sure that we have a steady slate of games.

The capacity to deliver say, a game every three or four months, which is our goal

We have this amazing collection of 15 studio leaders, and if we're always acquiring new things, there will always be somebody who's the new person... and what you don't get in that situation is them treating each other as peers and sharing information or expertise.

And on and on.

I haven't even looked through the Era thread on this but will enjoy mining some spoiled milk in there too, assuredly.

Last edited:

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Covid threads are just insane. It was like another alternate universe. I was going through a divorce and just completely dissociated. It doesn't even feel real.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
The thread in August 2019 where everyone kept saying Epstein was going to "kill himself" and that his cell needed more security after the first attempt in the month prior. Following that shit till when it actually happened days later was wild

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
The Drake v Pusha T thread is a classic, and Drake v Kendrick will go on to be as well.

www.resetera.com

RESET THE CLOCK

oty

Feb 28, 2023
www.resetera.com

lmfao reading the first page and it's crazy hahah

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everything to do with the Grinch leak, the more embarrassing moments were those who did verbal mudslinging.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
there was a topic on that other site saying a dc vs mk game would happen and it was thought of as laughable and years later it was bumped when it happened. iirc this was before wb owned the mk franchise?

Oct 27, 2017