BarryAllen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The purge is a cultural phenomenon 3 movies out, 1 more on the way and a TV show.

I love the movies and I love the concept. 1 day when you can do anything. It's interesting concept I am #teampurge

Movie 2 and 3 are great. Just people killing each other it's like GTA online

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Would not want it to exist in real life, don't have enough money to build a fortress to protect myself so I'd be done in the first two or three.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Weirds me out when people say they want to have a Purge.

I think most folks miss the fact that I believe the original film was more satirical on how such an event would be used by the rich to weed out undesirables and the poor, though it seems the sequels likely dropped that element and just relished in the violence.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I would make a the next one a heist/horror film. Like people plain a big job using the purge as cover but it goes horribly wrong.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
The movies are great, although I would never ever ever never want to see something like this in real life. I mean, no offense op, but anyone who does might be a bit nuts.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I think Purge is big because people are into survival games/stories and picture themselves in those situations. Why PUBG is so big, basically.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I think most folks miss the fact that I believe the original film was more satirical on how such an event would be used by the rich to weed out undesirables and the poor, though it seems the sequels likely dropped that element and just relished in the violence.

Nah, it's there in all three. Pretty sure one of the later ones had an auction where rich people could hunt poor people in a controlled area.

OP
OP
BarryAllen

BarryAllen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would make a the next one a heist/horror film. Like people plain a big job using the purge as cover but it goes horribly wrong.
The 4th one is what the very first purge was like. Also you can always leave the country on purge night. Purge 3 shows murder tourism is a huge economic thing

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
1.- It's stupid, wouldn't realistically be imposed by any civilized nation
2.-The justification is flimsy but it's a great setting for a movie
3.-No.

Also, people on the internet who say they'd participate on the purge are like people who say they want a Zombie apocalypse: They think they're the guy who survives and kills everything when in reality they're the guy who gets killed first for being unable to actually commit to the carnage.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the concept behind the movies is good but I don;t like them very much.

I sure as hell wouldn't want a purge in real life. Anyone that does clearly is not aware of the Montreal Night of Terror.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Movies are a guilty pleasure of mine. I really enjoy the premise...as a fictional reality. Dreaming about a Purge in real life makes me sick to my stomach. So no, I wouldn't do it...
The movies have really striking visuals, specially election year.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

this is why i love the idea of the series. it literally opens up so many possibilities and they can do whatever they want with it. i would definitely be down for that.

have you seen any of the sequels? lol. it didn't get dropped at all.

and the third one even ups the satirical takes of the concept by including foreigners that come to america just to purge. if anything, the movies have gotten even more political.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't personally do anything, but there's a couple people that I wish were involved on the receiving end.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The basic premise of the movie is dumb.

All crime is legal for a day? Rich people wouldn't use this time to murder poor people. They would use it to conduct insider trading, dump all their industrial pollution, and smuggle all their offshore money back to the US.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Earth 'Insert number here' Barry thinks...

grant-gustin-in-the-flash.gif

Quite liked one of them for the absurdity of it all but hell no to real life. Think it was the second film that I liked, first was okay too, the latest one was pretty awful, those kids, almost turned it off, how annoying were they.

Thinking more about it, if you actually wanted to do these things I guess you wouldn't need a Purge day to act on them like criminals and evil people do.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It got better as the series went along. The biggest mistake is having this absurd premise and making the setting for the first movie one person's house. There are other mistakes down the line, like how they wrote the dialogue for black people. And basically how everyone turns into a murderer? Like what's that about? I'd expect more looting than anything.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
OP, Do you see Tyler Durden in Fight Club as someone to aspire to?

The movies are fun, but that's where the idea stays.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017

They could literally do alot with the concept of The Purge. Quarantined Zombie Purge. Cosmic Horror Purge. Supernatural Killer Purge.

First example: the main group we are watching aren't running for their lives, they are the Purgers. Purging everybody they come across until they come upon one area of the city filled with dead bodies. Our group relishes in it, taunting the dead, and one lucky Purger took it too far and before he/she realizes it they're swarmed by zombies.

Example 2: our group, the Purgees, are being hunted down by Purgers. Everything seems to be going normally like the other films, but clues are left for the viewers that the Purgers are killing not for Purging purposes, but for something far more ominous.

Example 3: we are left watching two groups going at it, gunshots everywhere, and out of the shadows approaches a familiar character. One we've seen before. He is seen wearing a mask, a bulletproof vest, but no gun. The two groups then shoot him, he falls to his "death". The two group cheers until they realize that the body is gone. Now the Purgers have become the Purgees.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I dont find the concept attractive in real life, but in a movie context its pretty fun

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Would you do it"?

Is this a joke thread? How can you seriously ask if I would like to have this concept in RL and even participate in it? You know there are real killers, rapists and all kind of people out there who would go absolutely nuts in this scenario?

OP
OP
BarryAllen

BarryAllen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It got better as the series went along. The biggest mistake is having this absurd premise and making the setting for the first movie one person's house. There are other mistakes down the line, like how they wrote the dialogue for black people. And basically how everyone turns into a murderer? Like what's that about? I'd expect more looting than anything.
Exactly when the trailers came out I thought we were gonna follow a normal guy just purge. Not some dude hiding in his house

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
I always loved that the leaders exempted themselves from being touched until the final movie anyway. Why would anyone even listen to them lol?

I'm sure a well armed anti government militia would have a field day.

Not to mention the amount of damage livied against infrastructure, museums, monuments, etc would totally make non viable in reality.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
The basic premise of the movie is dumb.

All crime is legal for a day? Rich people wouldn't use this time to murder poor people. They would use it to conduct insider trading, dump all their industrial pollution, and smuggle all their offshore money back to the US.

Reminds me one time i asked a bunch of friends "if you could choose one crime you'd be granted impunity for life, what would you choose" and one instantly and without hesitation said "Tax evasion".

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Id probably purge a motherfucker on some petty shit, so its probably best it doesn't exist. We all know it wouldn't work though. People wouldn't stop robbing or doing other crime because they can do whatever they want one day a year. Also who is to say a body found was killed on purge day? You could off your neighbor the day after when his guard is down and throw him in a fridge or ice his body in a tub, or bury him and whenever they find him, good luck on figuring out if he was a purge kill.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I like the concept, but think the whole "release the beast"/everyone's fair game (though there are exceptions) was, IMO, sloppy. If I had to write the story of this, I'd play up a morality angle by having the Purge as something sponsored by the Justice Department where, when you are arrested and found guilty, addition to any jail time you see, you are registered into a raffle-like base where, each year on the "Purge Night", they announce what crime is "in season", and distribute the names and home addresses (as well as other information) of those charged and found guilty of said crime via website. Prior to Purge Night, people of the USA go and register at police stations and receive tracking bands, body cams and on the night, go hunting for the "criminals in season", and the more trophies to collect, the more money they receive (trophies, in this case, almost always mean "heads"). You have the crooked government selling the event as a way the "People of this Great Nation can take Justice into their own hands and literally PURGE CRIME". There are some rules though, like you are forbidden from attacking fellow "purgers", forbidden from harming the "game's" families, and are forbidden from hunting out other criminals not in season.

One year might have all child molesters in season, the next, all those convicted of fraud. Of course, lots of drama regarding different characters being tossed into the mix. Maybe someone's falsely accused or got busted because of their situation. It could be a kid from a poor family, a family man, other people that aren't bad people but the extra corrupt law enforcers of this world (still somewhat near future setting) has it in for certain people. Yeah, political as hell, but some great questioning of what is right and what is wrong when you let a nation take the law into their own hands. I don't know, I thought that would've been a more interesting concept than "it is scientifically proven humans need to release the beast, then 99% ALL crime will stop, cause that's what leads to ALL crime, mankind's pent up rage because they aren't allowed to KILL things!".

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Dont mind it, it's dumb, but we all seem to love other dumb sci fi concepts like The Running Man and such too.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I'd leave the country everytime it came around. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that shit.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
fuck no I would not allow this is happen! my black ass would get shot the moment I stepped out the door...or even worse they'd come in my house and try to kill me.