• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuperRiko

Jun 26, 2021
My guy.....

cover3.jpg

No
Using that overused meme image sure makes you look like the funny one.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Tim Heidecker's comedy is too subtle for some people.

He doesn't explain the joke, or slap the mic against his leg, so it's confusing for the kind of person who likes low-hanging fruit.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Bill Burr is a classic enlightened centrist about abortion, like many other topics. He's pro-choice but also believes you're killing babies in an abortion and argues against "it's not a baby/life yet" by comparing it to putting butter on a pan in the oven.

"It's not a baby yet," that's what they say, which may or may not be true. I don't know, I'm not a doctor, but I'll tell you, my gut tells me that doesn't make sense. It's not a baby yet. That would be like if I was making a cake and I poured some batter in a pan and I put it in the oven, and then five minutes later you came by and you grabbed the pan, you threw it across the floor. And I went, "What the fuck?! You just ruined my birthday cake." And then you're like, "Well, that wasn't a cake yet." It's like, "Well, it would have been." "If you didn't do what you just did, there would have been a cake in 50 minutes." "Something happened to that cake, you cake-murdering son of a bitch!"​
Right? Now, before all you pro-life people get excited, I think it's great you're killing your babies. It's fantastic. Help Mother Nature out. There's too many of us. It's been 130 degrees out. Animals are going extinct. There's plastic in the fuckin' ocean. We don't need any more fuckin' people.​
He's not getting great reviews for this latest special.

Holy fuck, the brainworms really are just chomping away on these people…

That's what I'd say if I didn't already know this was a calculated ploy by him and others like him to play to an audience and keep the money rolling in…fuck that guy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really like his Netflix specials, I watched a couple of them and they seemed really one note around cancel culture or like weakness culture, or something. I didn't think he was that kind of comedian... haven't watched his newest stuff because didn't think his last stuff was that great.

Wow ... that was incredibly/remarkably unfunny.

Tim Heidecker is doing some absurdist comedy stuff, it's very, very good but you reeeeaaaaalllly have to be in on the joke or it is literally the unfunniest thing ever.

I legitimately feel bad for the people who go to one of his shows not knowing much about him, like maybe they've seen clips of the Tim & Eric show, or see him on I Think You Should Leave sketch, heard he's good and then go in and like ... unless you're really in on the joke, it's the least funny comedy routine ever.

If you're really in on the joke, it's really funny, and I like Tim Heidecker but even I can't take how committed he is to these routines.... I get like 2nd hand embarrassment.

Captain C

Oct 27, 2017
I see that more than half of this thread is actively about Bill Burr being transphobic and bigoted, but I don't actually... *care* that much and want to feel guilty-free about the media I watch. Maybe if I just ignore that side of the conversation entirely, I get to talk about it publicly and have a stance without "having a stance!"

I'm sad I have to put this disclaimer here, but /s. I think Burr can be funny but he's obviously not learning to evolve with the times in his comedy and views, and if he's unwilling, he should be left behind.

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
Can't say I didn't try. Enjoy Bill Burr screaming about how much women ruin sports and stuff.

It just wasn't for me but thanks.

And for the record, Burr's best joke imo is the one where he asks why did the government decide to give us freezing cold February for an appreciation month.

As black people why wouldnt we have been given June/July/August? We're a summer people!

The women ruining sports joke is unfamiliar to me

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
ngl Heidecker's stuff is a little too slow burn for me but goddamn if it isn't funny watching people react to his stuff.

Also fuck Bill Burr, don't watch any of his shit. He's got one good joke about owning a pitbull and thats it.

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
Tim Heidecker's comedy is too subtle for some people.

He doesn't explain the joke, or slap the mic against his leg, so it's confusing for the kind of person who likes low-hanging fruit.
See I find myself irritated at the borderline patronizing tone here.

I get that he was mocking lowbrow comedians in the opera bit or the big favorite on Resetera, the mockery of the Joe Rogan experience style podcast but to me, he's yet to be funny while doing these bits.

So I guess bravo for the lateral punches but not yet for landing on funny.

Burr might veer into problematic territory but most of the bits of his that ive seen at least are funny.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like the new Red rock special. I only watch every other special. His schtick can wear thin pretty fast if you binge watch.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
.......was this supposed to be some obtuse performance art or something? That was just irritating, not funny.
I'm not sure if this is a parody that went completely over my head and the point of this is how unfunny this bit was. I'm talking not even a small stream of air coming from the nose funny.
Am I missing some context because this was terrible

Y'all just don't appreciate comedy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMRzka35Wfk

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
See I find myself irritated at the borderline patronizing tone here.
To be honest, I find myself irritated by any attempt to downplay transphobia. I really do have a low opinion of comedians who peddle in bigotry, and the audiences who enable them.

I know I shouldn't be patronizing with Chappelle / Burr fans, but when they're guffawing at low-effort "dickless dude" jokes, what am I to do?

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Tim has a very specific type of comedy and it isn't for everyone. I completely understand why someone might not find the humor in that first clip posted.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Haha you can't just post Heidecker without context. It's like me posting the Stewart Lee bit about observational comedy after someone made a thread about Michael McIntyre but don't tell them why I posted it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOwDtx1c084
That kind of satirical absurdism isn't a good gateway to put in randomly.

If anything, just post the James Acaster bit in threads about edgy "cancel culture" comedians and transphobes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adh0KGmgmQw

Oct 28, 2017
Haha you can't just post Heidecker without context. It's like me posting the Stewart Lee bit about observational comedy after someone made a thread about Michael McIntyre but don't tell them why I posted it.

If anything, just post the James Acaster bit in threads about edgy "cancel culture" comedians and transphobes.

Judging by some of the reactions to the Heidecker standup, I think Stewart Lee would give them an aneurysm.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Burr being on Conan after the 2016 election, and saying that nothing was going to change. 'They're all the same!'

I think he gets a pass because he admits he's an idiot. Maybe shut the fuck up then.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

lol this is like an alt-comedy thread now.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
To be honest, I find myself irritated by any attempt to downplay transphobia. I really do have a low opinion of comedians who peddle in bigotry, and the audiences who enable them.

I know I shouldn't be patronizing with Chappelle / Burr fans, but when they're guffawing at low-effort "dickless dude" jokes, what am I to do?

Realize that people can find alot of jokes funny from a comedian but not every joke? Accept that not everyone is incapable of separating the artist from the art?