• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I started watching the latest one, not really knowing anything about him...

It got difficult to watch pretty fast.

"Let's talk about cancel culture"

"Let's talk about feminism"

Ugh... can we just, not?! [Unless you're going to make fun of comedians who are pieces of shit?]

I'm tired of comedians that can't make jokes about anything other than this bullshit, it's fucking lazy and unecessary.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
I dig Burr's previous albums prior to netflix, been more hit and miss since then. I'll have to check out his new one, didn't know it was out.

Cana

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 27, 2021
Doesnt every Burr fan agree the best thing hes done is his podcast with his wife who roasts him for being an idiot? Honestly never found his stand up funny but Ive seen quite a few friends who like listening to the couple squabble.

Nov 1, 2017
all of his stuff up to that black & white Netflix special is incredible. After that he got on that his transphobia kick and got weird.

His Why Do I Do This? special is next level though. He'll never top that one.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Bill Burr sure is bigoted as fuck, but I like his funnies. Why do I find the bigoted man's comedy funny? No comment. "

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Sure and many times it isn't. I can think Michael Jackson was a pedophile and still think he was the greatest performer ever and love his music.
We were talking about Bill Burr, not sure why you're bringing a dead pedophile into this. You mentioned being able to separate the art from the artist in this instance, so I noted that being able to do so is a privileged take. Fawning over his work in between examples of his transphobia is crass, especially so when you're out there talking about separating artists from their art.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Not to derail this too much, but Harry Potter is basically the big elehpant in the room that people don't want to talk about despite a big game and new movies still coming out. I think people just have to make their own choices... certainly there was a pass during Boba Fett too.

Cana

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 27, 2021
Also Burr, Chappelle, ew

Jim Jefferies jokes about shitting himself are much higher quality. Hope he does a new special soon..

Cana

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 27, 2021
Oh and Anthony Jeselnik OP! Hes the best edgelord there is and he is personally just a good human from the look of things.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Wah? It's talked about all the time.
I remember getting into a debate with someone about Burr during the first season over his cancel culture comments, but it really wasn't a big thing back then. Admittedly, I didn't really participate in the season 2 thread all that much.
(Unless you're talking about HP, then yes, although everyone seems to be wringing their hands about whether or not people are allowed to want to play the game and talk about it here when it comes out)

Also Burr, Chappelle, ew

Jim Jefferies jokes about shitting himself are much higher quality. Hope he does a new special soon..
Jefferies is self-aware at least, although I still don't really know where he stands based on his last special.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sure and many times it isn't. I can think Michael Jackson was a pedophile and still think he was the greatest performer ever and love his music.
But you wouldn't say that about Michael Jackson to victims of pedos, I hope. Recognise the privilege of you saying this to a trans person, part of a group of arguably the most marginalised people on this planet.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Not to derail this too much, but Harry Potter is basically the big elehpant in the room that people don't want to talk about despite a big game and new movies still coming out. I think people just have to make their own choices... certainly there was a pass during Boba Fett too.
What are you trying to say here?
I would quantify not being a victim of sexual molestation as a child as a privilege.*

Much like you not being personally targeted by Burr's transphobia is a privilege.

EDIT: *Not assuming anything of your lived experience, just speaking in general,

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what's up with the Bill Burr derail, but can we get back to the Murderer Tim Heideker?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
What are you trying to say here?
I mean, I don't watch Burr (or many other comedians for that matter) anymore and I'll probably not watch Mandalorian if he's in it again next season, but I feel like it's up to people to make their own choices after they've received the information.

I have no idea what's going on with this forum and Potter stuff, but I assume there will be some kind of mod message/banner telling people about Rowling and it will be up to people to figure out the ethics of playing the game... and I'd expect the same with a Star Wars thread if Burr's character shows up again. Or hell, if he gets a spinoff because that's what is apparently going to happen to every minor character in the franchise now.

Would it be easier to just ban these types of threads entirely? I'm not really equipped for that debate, in part because I can see both sides of that argument. If nothing else, this thread had "forced" people to learn about Tim Heidecker, which I genuinely think is a net positive in a Bill Burr thread.

SevKnight

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
City of Apples
I watched his recent special, the joke about WNBA ratings had me choking from accidentally inhaling red bull into my lungs. The WNBA definitely deserves higher viewership than most of these "reality" TV shows. 😂

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Realize that people can find alot of jokes funny from a comedian but not every joke? Accept that not everyone is incapable of separating the artist from the art?
With stand up the artist is the art, it is all coming from that person. It's not like a movie where there are a ton of people involved to make it happen, or a band with other musicians. There is no separation. And his art is the issue.
I dig Burr's previous albums prior to netflix, been more hit and miss since then. I'll have to check out his new one, didn't know it was out.
Does it bother you in the slightest that he is a bigot and you would supporting the work of a bigot?

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I have no idea why Rowling got dragged into this like Burr is in any way comparable to her. Like what's the point in engaging that topic when all you've got to say is "I'm not really equipped for that debate". Is one rich transphobe not enough to run cover for or something.

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
To be honest, I find myself irritated by any attempt to downplay transphobia. I really do have a low opinion of comedians who peddle in bigotry, and the audiences who enable them.

I know I shouldn't be patronizing with Chappelle / Burr fans, but when they're guffawing at low-effort "dickless dude" jokes, what am I to do?
Did i say anything about Burr's bits that are transphobic?

I said I know he veers into problematic territory. That's me going off of what people in this thread are saying.

I sincerely don't even recall any transphobic bits of his, one because he's not someone i follow keenly and two because to me his best bits I've seen are the ones that are simple yet hilarious like the African American History month being in winter rather than summer, or how just changing the placement of a curse word in a sentence makes white people seem more racist vs how black people tend to do it.

You basically damn near called anyone who found that Tim bit meh a plebian.

We can drop it though.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I used to like Bill, he's pretty funny but after awhile, it started to feel more and more like him being an asshole wasn't just a schtick, unfortunately.

Oct 27, 2017
Can we all just stop arguing and find common ground with our singular favorite band, Dekkar?

View: https://youtu.be/1mIRVtwtIUc

In all seriousness, Bill Burr is the whiniest comedian I've ever had the displeasure of seeing live.

Better make sure the crowd doesn't forget to laugh at one of his bad jokes, otherwise he'll derail the whole set to coddle his ego by screaming at the audience for the rest of his time instead!

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
With stand up the artist is the art, it is all coming from that person. It's not like a movie where there are a ton of people involved to make it happen, or a band with other musicians. There is no separation. And his art is the issue.

We disagree. I can think Michael Jordan js a prick and still love watching him. I can think some of the great artists of 300-400 years ago did immoral acts to better understand human anatomy and still praise them. I can still think a comedian is funny at many times and not other times. This all or nothing stance is something i wont subscribe to.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't watch Burr (or many other comedians for that matter) anymore and I'll probably not watch Mandalorian if he's in it again next season, but I feel like it's up to people to make their own choices after they've received the information.

I have no idea what's going on with this forum and Potter stuff, but I assume there will be some kind of mod message/banner telling people about Rowling and it will be up to people to figure out the ethics of playing the game... and I'd expect the same with a Star Wars thread if Burr's character shows up again. Or hell, if he gets a spinoff because that's what is apparently going to happen to every minor character in the franchise now.

Would it be easier to just ban these types of threads entirely? I'm not really equipped for that debate, in part because I can see both sides of that argument. If nothing else, this thread had "forced" people to learn about Tim Heidecker, which I genuinely think is a net positive in a Bill Burr thread.
Again I really don't get what you're trying to say, yes people can make their own decisions after being informed.

The issue is entirely around the dismissal of concerns by marginalized groups to shield themselves from criticism. I personally don't give a fuck about warhawk4ever watching Burr, it's that they're effectively telling Kyuuji, a trans woman, to shut the fuck up about Burr's transphobia.

Also, maybe look into how the forum handles Hogwartys Legacy discussions or the very long thread we have about about Rowling, started by WildflowerWildfire before making statements about it that you yourself say are unimformed.
Did i say anything about Burr's bits that are transphobic?

I said I know he veers into problematic territory. That's me going off of what people in this thread are saying.

I sincerely don't even recall any transphobic bits of his, one because he's not someone i follow keenly and two because to me his best bits I've seen are the ones that are simple yet hilarious like the African American History month being in winter rather than summer, or how just changing the placement of a curse word in a sentence makes white people seem more racist vs how black people tend to do it.

You basically damn near called anyone who found that Tim bit meh a plebian.

We can drop it though.
"Don't recall transphobic bits"... multiple examples on the first page just a few posts before yours.
A reminder: Bill Burr is incredibly transphobic.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-k5uiJ2B6U

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN9AjnzK_Ss

You wouldn't have made this post if you weren't aware why people on Era dislike Burr and Netflix.

Which means you legitimately came into the thread just to preemptively dismiss concerns about transphobia.

Can we all just stop arguing and find common ground with our singular favorite band, Dekkar?

View: https://youtu.be/1mIRVtwtIUc

No offense, since I love Heidecker, but can you folks stop trying to turn the conversation away from Burr's transphobia. It's not appreciated.

Last edited:

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Cis men not giving a single fuck about transphobia and the way it impacts trans people in a lot of places at this moment is the least surprising thing, even on Era. People die every day because of violent transphobia that is often made acceptable through jokes by fucks like Chapelle/Burr or just fear-mongering shit JKR. Swear to god, I'd wager most of y'all wouldn't be this quick to dismiss bigotry if it was any of the more "mainstream" ones, because you know it's fucking wrong & the years where making bigoted, harmful jokes that weren't frowned upon are long gone. Transphobia is honestly pretty mainstream as well at this point, but it doesn't impact most of y'all so it's easy to not give a flying fuck I guess.

Again, this isn't like some people nobody knows or cares about being transphobic. Even here in Germany I have seen a huge uptick in transphobia & TERFs in the news, social media and general society and you know what people they usually quote and support? JKR and Dave Chapelle. So do not fucking tell me separating the (alive!!!) artist from it's (literally bigoted) art is this holy thing that we all should practice more to be happy and not get harrassed, assaulted or worse.

(Unless you're talking about HP, then yes, although everyone seems to be wringing their hands about whether or not people are allowed to want to play the game and talk about it here when it comes out)

Nobody is wringing their hands about whether or not people are "allowed" to play HL or talk about it aside from people who act like they're being discriminated for being directed to one single OT at release like it was the case for Cyberpunk.

Unless mods have changed their stance on it since the last time they talked about it, they'll handle HL exactly the same. No hype threads, no review thread & just a barebones OT at release for people who desperately want to play the game & talk about it. I imagine there'd be critical threads allowed if it features any type of bigotry like it was the case with the excellent thread about CDPR's & Cyberpunk's transphobia, but otherwise that's it. This isn't to discriminate or otherwise make fun of the people who wanna play the game or anything, but done to support the trans community on Era, because I think you can understand why people would be uncomfortable coming on here & seeing tons of hype threads about a game that benefits a disgusting transphobe who's actions have actually harmed trans youth, right?

Also nobody can stop any of you from playing the game if you really want to. People didn't do it with Cyberpunk either. Lots of people absolutely can & will think differently of you if you play it & especially parade it around like it's the second coming of Jesus while conveniently ignoring the glaring issues behind it, but nobody can take away your copy & tell you to "Stop playing this game, Timmy, it's 9PM!" like a mum lol. People will be fucking fine. The internet is vast so if someone feels like they're being treated unfairly on here come release, they can also simply talk about it elsewhere!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
We praise Michelangelo for his art and yet we criticise Bill Burr for his transphobia? Curious 🤔

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
We disagree. I can think Michael Jordan js a prick and still love watching him. I can think some of the great artists of 300-400 years ago did immoral acts to better understand human anatomy and still praise them. I can still think a comedian is funny at many times and not other times. This all or nothing stance is something i wont subscribe to.
You can disagree but you're disagreeing with the fact of the matter, it's not a disagreement rooted in anything meaningful.

And tbh I wouldn't go so far as to say you can't think a shitty person has an otherwise good joke or wrote a good song or whatever, nobody can police what is inside your head, nobody has that capability. It's not ideal, I wish people would work to have their brain work to shut out toxic influences but that's not always possible. It's when you put that out into the world or when you somehow materially support the individual that is the issue I have. If people wouldn't do that, bad people would not have the platform they have, there would be nothing in it for them.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
When one of his recent specials opened with "why are people offended about everything?" (As if this same joke hasnt been made a million times over the years), and "what's the deal with male feminists?? "

I didn't really have any more interest in watching

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling, dismissing concerns of transphobia, consistent history of trolling and antagonistic behavior
You can disagree but you're disagreeing with the fact of the matter, it's not a disagreement rooted in anything meaningful.

And tbh I wouldn't go so far as to say you can't think a shitty person has an otherwise good joke or wrote a good song or whatever, nobody can police what is inside your head, nobody has that capability. It's not ideal, I wish people would work to have their brain work to shut out toxic influences but that's not always possible. It's when you put that out into the world or when you somehow materially support the individual that is the issue I have. If people wouldn't do that, bad people would not have the platform they have, there would be nothing in it for them.
I am a fan of sports. I can't imagine how many athletes are pieces of shit. I'm not going to stop watching because many are. OJ Simpson probably killed two people, doesnt take away he was one of the greatest running backs ever.

Shit people exist in every space. People who hold certain views that are offensive but not other views exist. I will take there is to take and leave what i want to leave.

Captain C

Oct 27, 2017

It's also quite egregious to have literal SOURCED bigotry from this guy at the forefront of every thread that pops up about him, yet people still have the audacity to wringe their hands like they, the non-trans people, are the ones being hurt by some BS "thought policing," or arguably worse, just FLAT OUT IGNORE these posts and just act like "ah, people get offended at anything! WhAt SyStEmIc OpPrEsSiOn???"

He's not actively calling for the oppression of trans people like Rowling or Chappelle, but this shit is still harmful, and worse, normalized by people who just shrug about it rather than demanding he do better.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I am a fan of sports. I can't imagine how many athletes are pieces of shit. I'm not going to stop watching because many are. OJ Simpson probably killed two people, doesnt take away he was one of the greatest running backs ever.

Shit people exist in every space. People who hold certain views that are offensive but not other views exist. I will take there is to take and leave what i want to leave.
Yo just say you don't give a fuck about trans people already.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Why would I say that when I do give a shit about trans folks?
People were discussing how transphobic Burr is and the only comment you cared to give among it was "My wife put him on last week, first time I had seen his stand up. I was in tears laughing" lol.

The next response was to someone who wasn't even quoting you, telling them to accept that you were able to separate the artist from the art (which is weird, since with Burr both the art and the artist are transphobic).

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

The examples you've provided have been abhorrent crimes not related to their profession. For many comedians their bigotry is their "art". There is nothing particularly intelligent or entertaining about punching down on people, it's low hanging fruit.

Personally, I enjoyed Burr in the past but his content these days is absolutely terrible. As times have changed and people get more educated, it's certainly easy to not engage in the hatred many of them spew out, unfortunately it appears there is still a significant market for it.

May 14, 2021
Separating an artist from their art is one thing when that artist is reading other peoples lines or singing other peoples songs, but with guys like Chappelle and Burr, their art is them. You can't separate the two. And that's the reason Chappelle went from being an artist I loved to one I can't stand. His art is squarely rooted in hate.