• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It seems to me that if a game wants (a) meaningful open world and (b) mind blowing cinematic narrative story telling, it's going to have to choose. We don't know for sure so I make these observations humbly, but it seems that FFXV, with its epic art direction and backdrop lore, took a hit in its presentation precisely because it tried to be open world when its devs weren't really ready. I'd say 90% of the cut-scenes in the game feel like they were 30 seconds too short. This isn't an issue exclusive to Squarenix. Even Horizon Zero Dawn and Assasins Creed: Origin, I think, are AAA games with a AA narrative and cinematography - meaning, I think it's hard for that open world dev cycle to do justice to storytelling and presentation - at least not at THIS level. Perhaps it's simply because there is so much work to do that something gets sacrificed, or perhaps there are other reasons.

That's where I look at God of War, which absolutely blew us away with its cinematic storytelling. I look at this game and think "this is what FFXV should have been like." I know the two games are apples & oranges, but at some level i feel like the lore & characters & for goodness sakes the music! of FFXV deserve this level of treatment. As a a member of the fan-base, we could have easily dealt with smaller "zones" that would compromise a linear structure, in order that the bulk of the effort be focused on the presentation. That is, after all, what Final Fantasy has always been primarily about. God of War actually may have been sorta open world, but it clearly wasn't to the extent that it would consume what was truly important to this game: its essential gameplay & the presentation of the story.

The open world of FFXV didn't even benefit us that much. Sure it was beautiful. But was it worth it? Was it littered with narrative-driven side-quests that help us experience the lore of this world better? Not really. Everyone agrees the sidequests were tragic in this game. The Open world was probably an immense amount of work which in the end was a little more than a gimmick.

You may say "Square-Enix cannot compete with the presentation skills of Sony devs right now." I really don't think so. There were some moments of sheer narrative & presentation brilliance in the base FFXV game that leads me to believe they could have polished the rest of the game in the same way. Plus, Episode Ignis makes further clear that the devs were capable of putting together an awesome, cohesive presentation as well. That's why I think they have the talent, the skill, and the imagination to do what God of War did.

Think about what could be accomplished by FF devs if they hand-craft each next scene, one after another. So long as they do it well, no one will accuse them of what happened with FFXIII and the so-called "Hallway Sim." FFXIII had this issue because they clearly weren't ready for HD development and so FFXIII actually is another piece of evidence for what I'm trying to say: when you do stuff that's too technical and overly difficult, the art, the spirit, and the aura of a Final Fantasy game gets lost in the mix.

Critiques I can imagine coming my way:
- "How else could they have given us the Bro-Trip, were it not for the Open world?" This is a hard-one. I don't know if they could meaningfully instill the sense of a road-trip without the open world. But with some creativity they could have, and without all the enormous effort of creating a huge world we could explore.

- "Now that Tabata and company know how to do open world games, the next game won't be as hard to make and they can do both: story & open world." Maybe so! If so, touche. But again, what do we gain from the open world, when the primary thrust of a Final Fantasy game is its narrative, driving us from point A to point Z? I'm here for the ride, Square, take me along! I don't need so much freedom.

- "What about the witcher 3, you dumb FF fanboy?!" I dunno about this one. The Witcher III's presentation, polish, and cinematography, just wasn't at the level I'd expect for a Final Fantasy game, and clearly doesn't hold a candle to what God of War accomplished.

- - - -

TL:DR - Square, please focus on the essential gameplay elements of your future FFs, and most of all, the presentation of the story! Don't worry so much about the open world and other aspects that make your dev-cycle insane. Sure, we all love open worlds but if it's going to impede on what makes FF an FF, then I'll gladly accept the sacrifice. God of War teaches us that we're fine with a smaller world (even if it's still technically an open world) so long as you blow us away with those elements that really matter.

Edit: ERA, the point of this thread isn't to say "copy God of War." It's to remind Square that there are certain core elements to FF games that should remain the heart & soul of the game. When you do it right, you get 10s across the board. The next FF could do the same since, as I argue, they have the talent. I assumed the hard-core gamers and fans of FF would understand this point.

Last edited:

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
Nothing. Final Fantasy devs have their own style, and they should continue to work with their own style.

Diversity is the spice of life, and gaming.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
FF shouldnt go for anything thats in the market. They have to go beyond that. They need to make something special. Something that noone is doing at the market right now.

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
To FF in general nothing, they are different, to FFXV how to make a good "open world" or semi open world in this case.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing. I don't want a FF game at all like God of War.

Is GoW going to be the new Xenoblade. With 50 million threads about how amazing it is?

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing.

Final Fantasy games can teach a lot how to do great FF games.

This. I don't want FF to become a generic action game with slight exploration aspects that features a generic middle-aged white male protag. While I don't like where the series went after 12, at least they're still doing something outside of the norm.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing? Japanese devs should continue to do Japanese things, and vice versa for western ones. We don't need yet more homogenization.

Neptonic

Oct 25, 2017
Tucson, AZ
They are such different things though? FF devs should look over at the people making DQ in their offices and what they are doing imo.

OP
OP
ultima786

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This. I don't know FF to become a generic action game with slight exploration aspects that features a generic middle-aged white male protag. While I don't like where the series went after 12, at least they're still doing something outside of the norm.

I'm not asking for it to be a generic action game, am I? I'm saying: Focus on the presentation the way GoW did.

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say much. The latest entries have struggled to find an identity, a thing that GoW screams out. The "open world" try of XV was in the end an abomination, and they could learn how to mix linearity with open areas experience (not quite like XIII), and this is another thing GoW excels at.

Finally the cast. I can't believe the same company that crafted Celes, Cloud, Squall, Garnet and so many other memorable chars is the same that created Noctis, Gladiolus, Vahn and that boy from XIII (forgot his name). See and learn SE.

Oct 28, 2017
What can God of War teach Final Fantasy devs?

That we are quickly moving to an era where its very difficult to completely overlap the Japanese market and western ones.

With Final Fantasy 15 they really tried to make a game that would appeal to both Japanese and western gamers, but they might have to pick one for FF16.

Oct 27, 2017
Do we want every game to be like God of War now? Next thing you know we'll see thinkpieces about how GoW saved gaming.

OP
OP
ultima786

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd say much. The latest entries have struggled to find an identity, a thing that GoW screams out. The "open world" try of XV was in the end an abomination, and they could learn how to mix linearity with open areas experience (not quite like XIII), and this is another thing GoW excels at.

Finally the cast. I can't believe the same company that crafted Celes, Cloud, Squall, Garnet and so many other memorable chars is the same that created Noctis, Gladiolus, Vahn and that boy from XIII (forgot his name). See and learn SE.

I appreciate what you're saying. But I have to say that the character designs of FFXV actually excited me a lot. I think Noctis is one of my favorite characters. My wish for FFXV to be fully realized, and for Square to drop the technical gimmicks like open world, is precisely for that reason: realize the story of these amazing characters fully.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought witcher presentation and story telling was great for an open world game tho. But I have not played new FF, so I cant judge

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh FFS.

It is a good game. END OF.

Yeah. I'm really enjoying God of War, but it's not some industry-defining game that every other game needs to emulate. This is just getting silly. Developers will learn from it as they do every other good game that comes out. Maybe an idea for how to tell a story or combat ideas they didn't think of.

Nov 1, 2017
FFXV was basically salvaged from a bonfire of botched ideas and half-finished concepts over a longer period of time and isn't really comparable to a something like God of War which was the clearly the product of some knuckle-down and disciplined work since 2014. And that's saying nothing of the cultural divide of how Japanese and Western teams operate with regards to game development.

"[X game series] needs to learn/be more like [the game I'm playing right now, God of War]" is such a lazy premise for a thread that I'm not even sure why people bother. Sometimes it's okay for a particular game series to do its own thing and succeed on its own merits without having to rip off someone else, all right?

Oct 27, 2017
No. But there are aspects of the game which Square should learn from.

I feel like my post was too long because a lot of ya'll aren't reading it lol.

If anything, FFXV should look at Breath of the Wild for inspiration on how to do an open world. I feel like that's a better comparison on how a long-running series can be reinvented in the open world format.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Do we want every game to be like God of War now? Next thing you know we'll see thinkpieces about how GoW saved gaming.

No? People just see some things that GoW do really well and hope that other dev's can learn to improve the aspects of their games that God of War does a bit better. Games improve when they look at what is done well, FFXIV original was done really bad cause they refused to take inspiration from their contemporaries.

No different from when BoTW came out and everyone spoke in lengths as to what dev's could learn from it.

This isn't a new concept. It happens any time a incredibly high rated game comes out.

Last edited:

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
The year is 20XX.

All games are clones of The Last of Us, Dark Souls, Breath of the Wild, and God of War.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What can God of War teach the Gran Turismo devs?

200.gif

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Well, they should focus in the gameplay and overall content. I don't know how exactly God of War qualifies as the specific example, and it's hard to take this GoW spam threads remotely seriously.

Focus on presentation is exactly what XIII does btw, and even XV to a lesser extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.