Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Souls has barely any cutscenes though :P
Neither do Team Ico games but those still vastly outclass the cinematography of the majority of Japanese titles.

It's kinda telling how defensive a few people are getting over the notion that developers may be able to draw lessons out of a critically lauded game. A truism in general, but apparently not for the developers of Final Fantasy.
The game's literally been out for a week and so far we've reached the point of parody when it comes to "Should x learn from god of war?!" A couple of days ago it was "Halo needs a god of war style reboot." and "God of war is the most radical and bold change to a series ever." and it's literally people making threads from stream of consciousness thoughts while playing or thinking about the game. Like, especially this part:

when you do stuff that's too technical and overly difficult, the art, the spirit, and the aura of a Final Fantasy game gets lost in the mix.

Like, you'd have to COMPLETELY ignore FF's history and its context in the gaming industry to ever reach this conclusion.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
?

I was agreeing with you.
Oh. I interpreted that completely differently. My bad.
The game's literally been out for a week and so far we've reached the point of parody when it comes to "Should x learn from god of war?!" A couple of days ago it was "Halo needs a god of war style reboot." and "God of war is the most radical and bold change to a series ever." and it's literally people making threads from stream of consciousness thoughts while playing or thinking about the game. Like, especially this part:

I get that. And I definitely agree with you to that extent. But whether or not people on this board are going overboard with it, that does not take away from the fact that there are lessons Square could draw from GOW from a storytelling perspective.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I get that. And I definitely agree with you to that extent. But whether or not people on this board are going overboard with it, that does not take away from the fact that there are lessons Square could draw from GOW from a storytelling perspective.
There really aren't. Starting with the fact that a FF has four playable characters. That's a completely different dynamic that requires completely different thinking.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the sense that it's spawning too many threads?

This only thing the game is revolutionizing is it's own series. It's not a knock on the game, as it's probably my favorite Sony first party game, as well as in my top 10 games of recent memory. However the game isn't changing anything - it's just an absurdly polished adventure with a beautifully realized setting.

Yep

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer they learn from their past games which had some of the best games of all time and not take anything from God of War. From what I've played of GoW so far, it almost feels like an Ubisoft game. I don't think a game could be described more harshly than that.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
God of war isn't an RPG, it has RPG lite mechanics that are slightly expanded from the serie's previous attempt at RPG lite mechanics.

If you're going to try and make some case that one game is an RPG and the other isn't when they both have the same features (skill trees, equipment etc) then please spare me. There is literally nothing in FFXV that makes it more qualified to be an RPG than God of War.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Man the last few days have not been kind to Final Fantasy XV here on Era in terms of threads. It's annoying actually.

Either way, all these "How can God of War..." threads are giving me less of a desire to play the game. And I freaking bought the Collector's Edition too.

Musashi

Oct 30, 2017
635938375988662605-1962313329_e5dbbcc3a319e75bab27646c5c2533ed.jpg

Nov 4, 2017
I kept comparing God of War to Final Fantasy XV in my head actually, and I thought I was the only one. But it's basically the only other series that is fantasy pushing absolute top tier AAA graphics. I don't think SQEX would have any problems making environments and exploration like there is in God of War. I honestly think what FFXV pulled off may have been more challenging, with so much more open environments filled with NPCs and roaming monsters. SQEX could make a super impressive linear game if fans would let them, and not criticize linearity into the ground.

I do think SQEX could learn from God of War a few tricks to highlight cinematic battles in an action setting. And I think they could be reminded to add in light, fun puzzles throughout the game. XV could have had puzzles built around warping, but no.

Then the big thing is SQEX still just has a ways to go in terms of action gameplay and controls.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
You haven't said anything actually. I don't need to complete the game to know the tone and premise the game has. But I guess you're right. Being half way is barley seen and not at all a good way to get a feel for a game. You, who have said nothing are clearly an authority.

I am more an authority than you considering I have beaten the game and you are halfway through it.

That really has nothing to do with the scale of the game. It's still a game where powered gods fight and then even that fight was smaller scale then previous games like where you fought the colossus of Rhodes who was attacking a city because a god powered it up. It was two dudes with some super powers fighting. They happen to pick up trees. Thats so much like the opening of GoW3 where gigantic titans where storming the palace of the gods in all out war. And man the premise of a father and a son going on a personal journey matches the scale completely of a god going to war over other gods while the fate of the world hangs in the balance. And man do characters in this game talk like the characters in previous games where they talked like everything is epic and important. That is so much like the kid who sounds like an actual kid and constantly in wonder and questioning stuff. Asking for stories. Talking to the witch who talks to him like a girl talks to a cute kid. That is so much like the grand style of the previous games where the characters talked about super revenge and the love of the fight and war and stuff. Where fighting and war was frames as the ultimate event and not something that's regrettable. Yeah it's the same thing.

I don't even know if you understand what grand scale is at this point. I am not saying that the game is a beat for beat match of the other God of War games. I am saying that it still has a grand scale. You don't need war and revenge stories to have a grand scale. I don't even know why you are bringing this up. Yes there is a boy with you, and he asks to be told stories. You tell him stories while rowing on a lake that dropped several hundred feet because a snake the size of the world rose out of it and spoke to you. Is that small scale? I guess it is because the snake isn't swearing revenge on the gods?
Oh wait, HE IS. I guess we can check that box off?

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If you're going to try and make some case that one game is an RPG and the other isn't when they both have the same features (skill trees, equipment etc) then please spare me. There is literally nothing in FFXV that makes it more qualified to be an RPG than God of War.
Stats matter way more in FFXV than they do in God of War and that includes the amount of factors to consider. Also note, even the actual website and developers don't classify the game as an action rpg.
mSGvEUO.png

I

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am more an authority than you considering I have beaten the game and you are halfway through it.

I don't even know if you understand what grand scale is at this point. I am not saying that the game is a beat for beat match of the other God of War games. I am saying that it still has a grand scale. You don't need war and revenge stories to have a grand scale. I don't even know why you are bringing this up. Yes there is a boy with you, and he asks to be told stories. You tell him stories while rowing on a lake that dropped several hundred feet because a snake the size of the world rose out of it and spoke to you. Is that small scale? I guess it is because the snake isn't swearing revenge on the gods?
Oh wait, HE IS. I guess we can check that box off?
Do you know what epic means? Do you know what an epic is? It's a huge story involving huge heroic deeds of large importance. The themes of the story are vast and dealing with something grand. Revenge against beings as important as gods that involve the destruction of the entire world and society would be a part of that. A deeply personal story between a father and his son is not epic. GoW is not epic making. The previous games were going for that epic tone. This is smaller scale. It is not going for the some tone or style at all.

But I guess you're the authority.

dharmapolice

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I think FFXV could have used from GoW is how the Latter does a much better job at explaining the lore of the world, either through boat trips stories or general conversation during downtimes and cutscenes. I feel like I learned nearly everything about the world of FFXV from loading screens or random books or radios I came across every few hours, and the story writers really underutilized the bros themselves as expositional devices. They never really felt like they had anything other than casual remarks to say but in GoW I was always looking forward to the next chat with my companions as I was sure to learn something else.

I agree.. I remember how much in Final Fantasy X the lore of the world was built into the story. An underlying part of the narrative was Tidus learning about Spira from the perspective of a tourist. It was a great method of exposition allowing characters to explain the rules, history and politics of the world. The game also had Mi'hen who was a little historian who told you great lore dumps.

Final Fantasy XV had those little books on Astrals which were so sparse and thinly detailed. On top of that, what really hurt is you could see just how much potential there was in lore-building that game! The politics and history of Eos, the religions, the meteorologic events that shaped the landscape, the various creatures, the dungeons and palaces... it seems like it's all so ripe to be explained.

I remember playing Horizon later that year and realizing just how well you could explain a beautifully build world using a variety of lore delivery methods. Had it not been for the scrolls, conversations, flowers, artifacts, holo-memories and recordings that world would feel very much like- well like Eos does.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Oh dude, Xenoblade 2 has an amazing story. You're really early in the game right now, if you can push through with it, I request you to please do so. The end of Chapter 3 is when it clicked for me, and now I really love it.

Phantom I know you have excellent taste so I will definitely give it another shot. I might have just got overwhelmed but that happened to me with BoTW as well and I adore that game now.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 13 of FFXV was explicitly influenced by The Last of Us (Tabata mentioned it in pre-release interviews), and was abysmal. Granted, that's just Tabata, but yeah, no thanks.

... The initial, faked Nomura FFXV reveal trailer (of which nothing made it into the released game) had some serious GoW influence funnily enough (hanging on to moving, colossal items, etc).

I'd prefer the FF devs to draw from more relevant sources though, like DQ, SMT, or other RPGs that are currently releasing quality titles.

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Just talked to Kratos...

He wanted to know if the Internet more so Reset Era can step off of his jock err.. loin cloth/animal skin if possible. It's chaffing a bit.

He specially stated that this is nothing new just the outcome of quality devs putting forth a quality product.

That is all.

Completely joking.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantom I know you have excellent taste so I will definitely give it another shot. I might have just got overwhelmed but that happened to me with BoTW as well and I adore that game now.
Well thank you for the kind words! ^_^
I hope you like Xenoblade 2. I think it is a good game, but it is terrible at easing players in, and yes, that can totally overwhelm them at first (I dropped it around when you did for a month and a half myself). The one advice I will give you is to ignore most side quests. They're pretty bad, and you can go the entire game without engaging in them. Later on in the game, a mechanic unlocks where you can send reserve blades in your roster out to complete side quests for you in the background, use that to gain the money and EXP from them instead.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think my perfect Final Fantasy game could learn a lot from God of War. I really don't consider open world necessary at all, and if they made a linear game in the fashion of God of War, where the areas were a little larger, it'd be pretty perfect. And it doesn't have to be one shot, so they can break it into zones if they need to. That way you have towns and a variety of areas. That along with some puzzles, cinematic battles, and set-pieces, would be amazing. I thought FFXV would've benefited a lot from taking a more linear approach by breaking its world into separate zones. Smaller and more compact areas with more variety which allows them to focus on telling the story.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
When people usually make fun of people creating threads for anything related to the new "hot stuff" game they're not kidding at all. Sometimes i think if it's parody or something.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
"What can Super Mario Bros learn from God of War 2018?"

"What can Master Chief teach Kratos about parenting?"

;p

"Who has the best by in gaming and why is it Kratos?"

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Do you know what epic means? Do you know what an epic is? It's a huge story involving huge heroic deeds of large importance. The themes of the story are vast and dealing with something grand. Revenge against beings as important as gods that involve the destruction of the entire world and society would be a part of that. A deeply personal story between a father and his son is not epic. GoW is not epic making. The previous games were going for that epic tone. This is smaller scale. It is not going for the some tone or style at all.

But I guess you're the authority.

Uhh ok but..... I never said anything about epic. That wasn't what I quoted or what you have been going back and forth with me about.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I agree.. I remember how much in Final Fantasy X the lore of the world was built into the story. An underlying part of the narrative was Tidus learning about Spira from the perspective of a tourist. It was a great method of exposition allowing characters to explain the rules, history and politics of the world. The game also had Mi'hen who was a little historian who told you great lore dumps.

Final Fantasy XV had those little books on Astrals which were so sparse and thinly detailed. On top of that, what really hurt is you could see just how much potential there was in lore-building that game! The politics and history of Eos, the religions, the meteorologic events that shaped the landscape, the various creatures, the dungeons and palaces... it seems like it's all so ripe to be explained.

I remember playing Horizon later that year and realizing just how well you could explain a beautifully build world using a variety of lore delivery methods. Had it not been for the scrolls, conversations, flowers, artifacts, holo-memories and recordings that world would feel very much like- well like Eos does.
They added datalogs/almanacs/monoliths/etc. all around the world in the Royal/Windows Edition and character dossiers in the March patch, btw.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Well thank you for the kind words! ^_^
I hope you like Xenoblade 2. I think it is a good game, but it is terrible at easing players in, and yes, that can totally overwhelm them at first (I dropped it around when you did for a month and a half myself). The one advice I will give you is to ignore most side quests. They're pretty bad, and you can go the entire game without engaging in them. Later on in the game, a mechanic unlocks where you can send reserve blades in your roster out to complete side quests for you in the background, use that to gain the money and EXP from them instead.

Okay thats awesome. Great to know thanks

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
I don't wait FF to have a god of war feel or a witcher 3 feel or whatever game people seem to think is crazy good, I want square make the next FF however they please.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
All right I let this one go for a bit, but doing some cleanup now on all the GoW threads at the moment. Please head on over to the God of War OT!

Status
Not open for further replies.