Votes: 100 8.3%
  • I raised the difficulty after starting

Votes: 11 0.9%

• Total voters

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
And have you changed it yet?

Curious what people seem to think the perfect balance is for them. I know this is very much an individual thing but if I was to guess I'd have to say Ultra Violence. I've seen some playing on Nightmare and that's just way too hard for me. I want difficulty, but I do not want endless rounds of frustration trying things 10+ times.

Apologies in advance if I left out a proper poll option, tried to get in as much as I thought would be relevant.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Started on Ultra-Violence before bumping down to Hurt Me Plenty. Hurt Me Plenty feels far better balanced.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
UV so far has been pretty chill. Only on mission 5 though.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UV and I beat it on that. Felt like a solid difficulty the whole way through.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I've bumped it down to Hurt Me Plenty and the game is still too hard.

I'm feeling very disappointed with this game. The ball was dropped just like Wolfenstein 1 to 2. The creators took anything that was great and Doom 2016 and ruined it by complicating it.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Nightmare and it's been a nightmare bro.

It's so fucking hard, really. I love it though, doing a Slayer's gate psyches me up so much that I usually finish the rest of the level without dying because I get so in the zone. But there have been single encounters that I've spent like an hour on because they're so hard.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Hurt me plenty and I'm still getting my ass kicked plenty.
I really suck at FPS games lol but I'm having a good time.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I like games like this on a slightly easier difficulty (Hurt Me Plenty) because I feel like these games are a power fantasy so I don't really like dying over and over again. I'll definitely replay it though on Ultra Violence and Nightmare next time.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ultra Violence, same I beat 2016 on.

It's DOOM and it's great! I can't wait until we have INVASION mode too, that should be a trip.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Nightmare, completed the campaign today and loved it. Love a challenge and it feels absolutely right and I don't need to rely on cheap combos in order to beat it (e.g. noob combo in Halo). It forces you to use all the game's tools to their full extent.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I've bumped it down to Hurt Me Plenty and the game is still too hard.

I'm feeling very disappointed with this game. The ball was dropped just like Wolfenstein 1 to 2. The creators took anything that was great and Doom 2016 and ruined it by complicating it.
I'm guessing the platforming stuff plays a big part of this for you or is it something else?

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I rather start in the middle and have something to work towards. Gives a better reason for new game plus as well.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Ultra Violence.. found it difficult at first but got used to it.

Tried Nightmare for few minutes but quickly gave up on it lol

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the platforming stuff plays a big part of this for you or is it something else?

The platforming. The stage obstacles. The less streamlined stage progression. The long winded plot. The frustrating enemies. The complicated HUD, and upgrading system.

Fuck, what happened to the Doomguy who smashed the computer when Dr. Hayden talked too much?

Oct 27, 2017
Ultra Violence seems to be the sweet spot, just like Doom 2016 but only if you have a grip on every mechanic the game has to offer.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
PS4 here...
I beat Doom 2016 on Ultra Violence, and found it pretty challenging but not obnoxiously so. I started Eternal on Hurt Me Plenty, but have briefly turned it down to Too Young to Die. I feel like Eternal is more frenetic and challenging than Doom 2016 for some reason, I think a large part of it is the precision with which you have to aim at certain small parts of some demons, which is a fucking nightmare for me with an analog stick and with how fast some of them move. I also honestly am not a big fan of some of the new platforming elements, which have occasionally really pissed me off.

This is honestly the most difficulty I've had in a FPS with an analog stick. I miss PC gaming, just like the simplicity of consoles too much, ha.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Ultra Violence is going too smoothly so far, might restart with nightmare if it doesn't pick up, still just the first two levels though.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Started in Hurt me Plenty and lowered to Too Young to Die. Having alot more fun now not dying over and over. I'm not here for the challenge, just mindless power fantasy fun.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Started with Nightmare for the first two levels then went down to UV. Nightmare seems doable, but it's not exactly a super relaxing time heh.

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game on Nightmare and don't think I ever wanna go back to anything lower. It'll be a sad day when I get too old and can't keep up with the gameplay style Nightmare requires.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Nightmare is made more annoying because there doesn't seem to be checkpoints in between waves which just makes everything longer.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
hurt me feels about the most I can be bothered with. It feels right.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ultraviolence and it's perfect.

I'm almost at the end and all I can think about is starting over when I'm done on Nightmare.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
On gamepad hurt me plenty. Imo ultra violence is only viable on kb/m

Nightmare and I didn't feel hampered by being on console, having a paddle for dashing though. If you play on tactical and have an elite or paddle pack (I got the $40 dominator paddles) you can do virtually everything without having to move from the sticks.

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
Nightmare with mouse/keyboard, after the first mission lowered to UV and played with controller this time.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Wait is nightmare actually he hardest difficulty? Isn't Ultra Nightmare a thing or is that NG+?

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
ultra Violent, and I feel like it's the perfect difficulty for this game. Below this, I feel like the game wouldn't be challenging enough if you're a player accustomed to FPS.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Nightmare is essentially the highest, but UN puts it on the same difficulty but if you die it's over. I can't imagine Ultra Nightmare on this game though, but people never cease to amaze me haha.
We're gonna see a run like this soon at GDQ aren't we...

Wait, SGDQ prob won't happen due to what's going on in the world huh? I just made myself sad.

NegroNinja

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on nightmare. The cultist base mission was the worst I've ever gotten my ass beat in a game. Fuck the arachnotron and FUCK the mancubus.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Started on Nightmare, on level 6

Same as I did with 2016.

Im saving formulating my thoughts for when I finally beat it, but I struggle to think of myself going back to 2016 after playing this.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Hurt Me Plenty and I've stuck with it. I always do my first playthrough in the "normal" difficulty and then I crank it up if I do a second playthrough.

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
Nightmare on PS4. I play every game on the highest difficulty, but I think I'm getting too old for this.

Can't even beat the first slayer gate.