• I've stuck with my choice

Votes: 379 31.6%
  • I lowered the difficulty after starting

Votes: 100 8.3%
  • I raised the difficulty after starting

Votes: 11 0.9%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Quick update, he now is playing on Nightmare, and it's pure beauty lol.

Kinda funny id of all companies didn't foresee people use such a high FOV that the grenade launcher animation could break. Also why does the game look so ugly in this vid. Did he turn the settings down? That's almost a cardinal sin with how good this game looks and runs normally.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's not. I cleared 2016 on Nightmare without much trouble. I dropped from Nightmare in Eternal pretty quickly because it was frustrating rather than fun.

Eternal on UV is way harder than 2016 on Nightmare.

I remember having issues with the last one until I got the super shotgun, I'm going to wait to get that and then decide if I lower the difficulty, it really kills the pacing repeating arenas 10 times.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I remember having issues with the last one until I got the super shotgun, I'm going to wait to get that and then decide if I lower the difficulty, it really kills the pacing repeating arenas 10 times.
Eternal is similar in how it really opens up after the first few levels because you get more tools to work with. A lot of completely standard quality of life things like faster gun switching are given as upgrades instead of coming as default, and that really messes with the feel of the combat in the early levels when you don't have those things yet.

There are also some IMO mandatory runes that make the gameplay so much better.

I felt the same way about 2016, but to a lesser extent. The first few levels were a bit eh to me until I got the rocket launcher and gauss.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Eternal is similar in how it really opens up after the first few levels because you get more tools to work with. A lot of completely standard quality of life things like faster gun switching are given as upgrades instead of coming as default, and that really messes with the feel of the combat in the early levels when you don't have those things yet.

There are also some IMO mandatory runes that make the gameplay so much better.

I felt the same way about 2016, but to a lesser extent. The first few levels were a bit eh to me until I got the rocket launcher and gauss.
Give me your Rune suggestions

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Ultra nightmare. Perfect balance for me, after dying enough times you start to realise how a specific area was designed and what the strategy is.

There's quite a few examples of this but I can't really describe them lol

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

i used
fast animation kills
slow mo before death
last one i swapped between extra health from blood punch and slow-mo aerial zoom (mandatory for a late game level)

The fast animations are absolutely necessary to kill and move
slow mo gives you a lot of invulnerability close to death. absolutely mandatory.

beat game on UV

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna spoiler them just in case.

Also keep in mind I'm only on like level 5 so I don't have all of these.

The only one I consider absolutely essential is Chrono Strike (time slows while you aim in midair - runs on a slowly regenerating meter). It makes life WAY easier for shooting out weak points while all hell is breaking loose around you. I found myself needing to do this a lot starting from level 2 and onward, and I swear I just plain failed a later room in level 2 on Nightmare because I didn't pick this rune first when I should've. I don't have the mechanical skill to quickscope and snipe targets at full speed, so I need this rune. Fucking arachnotrons.

I highly recommend the scope/sniper attachment on the assault rifle. I never used this in 2016 (who the hell wants to snipe in Doom?), but I like it a lot in Eternal because it's an easy hitscan way to shoot out weak points, and that's an essential skill in higher difficulties. I can't aim that damn shotgun grenade over long distances to save my life, and you need to make a lot of precision shots. This, combined with chrono strike, is my bread and butter for taking down weak points.

Other nice ones to have but less vital to get first:
- air control during jumps
- faster speed after a glory kill - I got this one first but it's not as vital as you might think. You're already pretty damn fast without it, and you have dashes too.
- Longer stagger times
- further glory kill distance
- one-time save from death if you take lethal damage

For suit upgrades (takes coins, not crystals), I highly recommend getting the faster weapon and mod switch first. The default swap speed is way too damn slow.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Nightmare as well. I quickly tried out Ultra Violence but its just wrong. Almost felt like I was cheating.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Hurt Me Plenty. I turn 51 in a couple weeks, I was playing Doom before some of you were a gleam in your drunken daddy's eye. Got nothing to prove to you whelps. Get off my lawn.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna spoiler them just in case.

Also keep in mind I'm only on like level 5 so I don't have all of these.

The only one I consider absolutely essential is Chrono Strike (time slows while you aim in midair - runs on a slowly regenerating meter). It makes life WAY easier for shooting out weak points while all hell is breaking loose around you. I found myself needing to do this a lot starting from level 2 and onward, and I swear I just plain failed a later room in level 2 on Nightmare because I didn't pick this rune first when I should've. I don't have the mechanical skill to quickscope and snipe targets at full speed, so I need this rune. Fucking arachnotrons.

I highly recommend the scope/sniper attachment on the assault rifle. I never used this in 2016 (who the hell wants to snipe in Doom?), but I like it a lot in Eternal because it's an easy hitscan way to shoot out weak points, and that's an essential skill in higher difficulties. I can't aim that damn shotgun grenade over long distances to save my life, and you need to make a lot of precision shots. This, combined with chrono strike, is my bread and butter for taking down weak points.

Other nice ones to have but less vital to get first:
- air control during jumps
- faster speed after a glory kill - I got this one first but it's not as vital as you might think. You're already pretty damn fast without it, and you have dashes too.
- Longer stagger times
- further glory kill distance
- one-time save from death if you take lethal damage

For suit upgrades (takes coins, not crystals), I highly recommend getting the faster weapon and mod switch first. The default swap speed is way too damn slow.
Ok awesome. I'm using a couple of those but I'm not playing on anything above Hurt Me Plenty because I actually like to enjoy my games a bit and not have to bang my head against something 12 times. That's not fun. But anything to get a more comfortable experience with the Runes.

I still die A few times on a level depending on what happens. Things can either go really well or it feels like you get a bad hand with smaller enemies or getting trapped in a corner.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Ultra nightmare. Perfect balance for me, after dying enough times you start to realise how a specific area was designed and what the strategy is.

There's quite a few examples of this but I can't really describe them lol

you mean ultra violence

UN would reset the entire campaign upon a death

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but theres like no reason too. I'd argue even for a "pro"-gamer theres little difference between 200 and 500 fps.
I think for a lot of them it's just a habit built up by spending tens of thousands of hours practicing on their average family PCs as teens, that even when they get older and have their own top-of-the-line machines, they still feel the need to squeeze every last frame out of it they can.

Many also find effects and particles and that sort of things very distracting, I know a lot of pro Overwatch players turned all the settings down just to help eliminate the absolute mess of effects that can happen when multiple people are using Ultimates and stuff like that.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I started on Extra-Lives Ultra Violence but after dying in that run; I decided to do a regular Nightmare run and aside from a few encounters that probably took me around 40 minutes to an hour to clear its not been that awful really.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't received the game yet, but when I get it at some point this week it'll be Hurt Me Plenty without changing the difficulty setting. It worked well for me on the previous game, expecting the same here.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Haven't picked it up yet but Ultra-violence for me is the ideal difficulty for DOOM, Nightmare is a little too hard for me to enjoy moreso if DOOM Eternal is harder than DOOM 2016.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Ultra Violence for me on PC seems well balanced for me, I usually do a UV like 2016 before ramping up the difficulty after i've 100% the game in UV to Nightmare in my second run. Funnily enough my first real play through was on switch those motion controls were perfect for me, hopefully they have similar controls in alot of console shooters going forward