His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yeah The Witcher 3 is definitely not Eurojank. It's way too polished and refined for that. Good example of an extremely ambitious game that does realize all of its goals. You can dislike the combat system but it works as intended. If Eurojank is a spectrum then The Witcher 3 is all the way on the right together with Red Dead Redemption II and Breath of the Wild.

also Jaffar is super sexy

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gothic
Stalker
Kingdome Come

...are probably the top 3 answers here, with each conveniently representing its own Eurojank-era.

Love all these games to death.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3 is a critically acclaimed polished big budget AAA game, the third in a successful series. You could argue the first and maybe even second Witcher were eurojank, but the third, no. The Witcher 3 was way beyond that stage. If eurojank includes games like that then all European games could be eurojank.

To me eurojank means an ambitious game by European developers who go beyond the call of duty (literally and creatively) and their budget, to achieve something imperfect and rough, but special. Basically a scrappy underdog.

Frequently first person shooters and RPG's, but I don't think eurojank is or has to be restricted to those genres.
These games don't have to be good either (although this thread is of course about naming the best), just need to have that sensibility of genuinely trying to create something cool and/or ambitious and kind of succeeding in some capacity.

Like Boiling Point: Road to Hell. Anyone remember that?
In the spiritual sequel White Gold you could ride sharks.
Haven't played EYE Divine Cybermancy, but that looks eurojank as hell.

I'd call Test Drive Unlimited eurojank.
Took like a decade for other developers to catch up to the open world online racing concept. Truly innovative and impressive.
Its jank wasn't bugs, but sort of weird game design and prioritization that made the game both peculiar and perhaps sometimes not as good as it could've been.

And also Eden's Alone in the Dark, I suppose. Perhaps here the ambition didn't lead to a good game, but that game sure had ideas and tried as fuck. Certainly special. I I don't know how far they took things overall, but a general notion was that problems were supposed to be solved in an intuitive, realistic, physical way. So if there was a locked door, you could take a fire extinguisher and bash the door down. If you needed to drive out of a garage, you'd find something to break a car's window, get in and find the key. They built a whole system for searching through a car. It sort of wanted to be MacGyver.

I thought of Fahrenheit, but that's not eurojank, that's something completely different on its own separate level.
Whatever it classifies as, it's almost definitely best in class. And worst.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't remember the name now but there was a eastern-european horror/shooter game about being stranded in a frozen oil tanker that was super rough but really interesting.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Allow me to fix the lack of brouzouf in this thread

Really like the equip/loadout system in this, strapping extra SMG clips or grenades into your armbands or whatever

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Thought of stalker as soon as I saw the thread. There are others but I can't think of them off hand.

Cryostasis Sleep of Reason, which unfortunately was removed from Steam and GOG due to unknown reasons.

I always meant to play cryostasis but I kept hearing how much jank it had on top of running like ass.

Jan 11, 2020
Stalker is ofc Nr. 1, undisputed..
But there is plenty of great Eurojank; Gothic series, Two Worlds II, Risen, M&B, to name a few.
Gothic 3 is amongst them a real top dog in my opinion. Great world, amazing music and epic janky battles - still one of the best OST ever..
I mean, just listen :)

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Stalker and gothic i have most nostalgia for.

I'm sure i'd love mount and blade but i haven't played it much.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
To me eurojank means an ambitious game by European developers who go beyond the call of duty (literally and creatively) and their budget, to achieve something imperfect and rough, but special. Basically a scrappy underdog.

This is what I imagine when I think about eurojank. Overambitious but still having something special, even it is a bit broken.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Man one of my favorite genre. I played them ALL.

Divinity 2 (NOT original sin 2) is the prime embodiment of that genre I feel. It's a good game that features unique ideas in a somewhat technical janky execution.

Gothic 1 & 2 are among the best games of all time, so you should definitely play that.
Its spiritual successor Risen 1 was the closed we ever got a true Gothic sequel. Risen 2 and 3 were all over the place in a vastly different setting

I'd definitely count Witcher 1 and 2 as well.

Most recent eurijank game is "Greedfall".

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Not sure how you came to this assumption...Plague Tale is a very polished game,I played it not long ago.

It's impressive knowing the size of the team and budget but I thought animations and controls lacked a bit of polish (played on the PS4). Still interesting title deserving the praise.

I'll add We Happy Few to the list.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
i think it is something between gothic, the witcher 1 and stalker.
i never played the other games, but seeing so many people answering similar, it has to be those.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
It's impressive knowing the size of the team and budget but I thought animations and controls lacked a bit of polish (played on the PS4). Still interesting title deserving the praise.

I'll add We Happy Few to the list.
In terms of gameplay it's very basic stealth,nothing to write home about at all,it works but it's very simple....as an overall experience it's very polished,I couldn't say I experienced anything close to jank.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
witcher 1 is the only witcher game that I'd consider eurojank, the other two have way too high production values.

that said gothic II is my favorite eurojank.

Oct 2, 2018
Non. A lot of them I find are unplayable.

I bought Elex based on some thread on here and couldn't last 1-2 hour.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
What about the X games? Big in ambition and scale, incredibly buggy.
x4-foundations_6056868.jpg

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
My man! (Although Gothic 2's story is garbage compared to Gothic 1). But Gothic 2 TNoR is god-tier eurojank. Closely followed by Risen 1 and Elex. World, exploration, rewarding (character) progression is ace in those games.

I love PB games (even the trash Risen 2 and Risen 3 games have something many open-world games can't get right today: rewarding and meaningful exploration).
I keep meaning to try Elex! It looks amazing for exploration, and I keep hearing that it's one of the best games they've released for a long time. Might help scratch that Horizon Zero Dawn on PC itch I'm desperate for =P

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I keep meaning to try Elex!
You should! It's very much in the spirit of their older games. The world is a bit too big for its own good, though, but the gameplay tropes of PB's game are still there. The combat system needs some patience and learning. Here an advice to save you troubles later: don't button-mash. Every strike increases your "power meter", only strike again when the meter reaches its first level (and the next and so on). Powerfull attacks do more damage the fuller the power meter is. It takes a while to get used to the rhythm but it feels rewarding to win fights.

Anyways, be prepared for lots of quests and areas you can't do or visit at the beginning. There's no level scaling in this game and thus no level gate (which is also very rare these days and I really enjoy). You can beat a quest or enemy on low level if you're skilled and equipped accordingly, but the same enemy might destroy you even if you gain five levels but don't put anything in your combat skills.

This way it feels amazingly rewarding to level up your character because you really feel how much stronger you get and when you reach that point to mop the floor with some previously tough enemies.

Don't expect TW3-style writing and polish, though ;)

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should! It's very much in the spirit of their older games. The world is a bit too big for its own good, though, but the gameplay tropes of PB's game are still there. The combat system needs some patience and learning. Here an advice to save you troubles later: don't button-mash. Every strike increases your "power meter", only strike again when the meter reaches its first level (and the next and so on). Powerfull attacks do more damage the fuller the power meter is. It takes a while to get used to the rhythm but it feels rewarding to win fights.

Anyways, be prepared for lots of quests and areas you can't do or visit at the beginning. There's no level scaling in this game and thus no level gate (which is also very rare these days and I really enjoy). You can beat a quest or enemy on low level if you're skilled and equipped accordingly, but the same enemy might destroy you even if you gain five levels but don't put anything in your combat skills.

This way it feels amazingly rewarding to level up your character because you really feel how much stronger you get and when you reach that point to mop the floor with some previously tough enemies.

Don't expect TW3-style writing and polish, though ;)
What is the recommended difficulty setting?

I don't want the later game to be a cakewalk.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Let me guess: people mentioning The Witcher 3 never actually played a eurojank before. Even The Witcher 2 is much more polished compared to other Eurojanks, and I'm not sure if it'd fit in the category. The Witcher 1 IS a eurojank though.

Anyway, Kingdom Come is a good answer, while ELEX is too janky to be considered the best. Your average Joe can still enjoy Kingdom Come, but ELEX is on its own jank level and not very recommended without a considerable jank tolerance.

The best of the bunch is still Gothic 2.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
The best are S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (for the atmosphere), the original Witcher (for being an amazing role-playing experience) and E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy (for being demented, but oh so fun).

I really, really need to play some piranha Bytes' games to be able to gauge their place in this conversation.

Spiders (Greedfall, Technomancer etc) are the rising star of euro-jank RPGs for me now that CDPRED made it to the AAA big leagues.

DontNod is there when they try to make action games (Remember Me, Vampyr), but they also do those narrative choice adventure games that seem to be far more polished, so I dunno where to place them. Depends if we get more action titles from them, I guess.

Deck 13 is probably in the running too, due to the Surge games.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
The Game of Thrones RPG did some pretty cool things from a storytelling perspective by making you roleplay as two separate characters with conflicting goals. And it was way better written than I ever expected it would be for something that seemed like cheap shovelware thrash designed to cash in on the popularity of the franchise (in fact, even this aspect was handled surprisingly well, with the game mostly telling it's own story and not just relying on the GoT franchise to carry it).

Divinity 2 was also pretty good. This thread made me check it's Steam page, and it was funny to see the game have a big warning telling people that this wasn't the page for Original Sin 2. The franchise definitely came a long way.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love STALKER, Elex, Gothic 2, etc. but let's not forget some even older stuff like the Last Ninja Trilogy and Twinsen/LBA series.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Gothic II with Night of the Raven. Clunky controls, UI, animations, etc. Yet still one of the best RPGs ever. Piranha Bytes is the ultimate eurojank dev.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Just got done with Surge 2. Combat, gear, shortcuts were fun - understanding quests, story, lore, and general cohesion was not.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mount & Blade series (particularly Warband) is prime eurojank - really basic animations, dialogue, and overall production values complimented by incredible freedom of choice and ambitious gameplay design.

The Witcher 1, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, Kingdom Come: Deliverance (though I feel this is polished enough to be on the fringe of jankiness), and Greedfall are all good mentions as well.