• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

So your loaf of bread has mold. What do you do with it?

• Trash the entire loaf/throw it out for the ducks and birds to eat

Votes: 511 86.9%
  • Cut off the moldy parts and eat

Votes: 53 9.0%
  • Eat as is. A little penicillin never hurt anyone!

Votes: 24 4.1%

• Total voters

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
mouldy-bread.jpg

You pull out your loaf of bread to make a sandwich when you notice some mold has accumulated on the bread. What do you do?

vote and discuss

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Throw it away, but typically if my bread has gotten moldy there's only a few slices left so it's not like I'm wasting half a loaf.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I just trash it.

I have sliced off the mold when it was juts a tiny bit before, though. The pic in the OP is too far gone for me to even consider it. That bad boy's going straight to the birds.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
My bread always goes stale long before it gets moldy. If it has mold it's probably already in the trash.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I keep my bread in the freezer to avoid this.

If I didn't, I guess it'd depend on how bad it had gotten. I'm not above cutting off a few moldy corners.

OP
OP
perfectchaos007

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So this thread is inspired by the loaf of bread I bought last week. Took out 2 slices last week then tied it back up in its bag and stored back in the pantry. Pulled it back out and most the crust has mold on it, however there were a few slices without any visible mold so I decided to make a sandwich with those slices and I tossed the rest. Was curious as to what you guys would do. Looks like most of you would have just cut your losses and thrown it out.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Scrape the mold off the bread and serve you french toast again.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
If my bread gets moldy inside a week I've done something wrong. Though usually I go through a loaf in a week lol

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Depends how far the mold as spread. If it's just a little on the edge I'll chop it off and toast the other part.

I do keep bread in the freezer now adays because of this problem. I don't eat bread fast enough.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I know you alleged mold-eating savages are just trying to bait a "why cant any of you fuckers be normal" at this point

you'll never get me

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
If it's just a small spot I'll try to pick it off and eat the bread. If it's more than that or has molded all the way through then I just trash it.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mold isn't just on the pieces it is visible. I remember a PBS special that showed it got everywhere.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
So this thread is inspired by the loaf of bread I bought last week. Took out 2 slices last week then tied it back up in its bag and stored back in the pantry. Pulled it back out and most the crust has mold on it, however there were a few slices without any visible mold so I decided to make a sandwich with those slices and I tossed the rest. Was curious as to what you guys would do. Looks like most of you would have just cut your losses and thrown it out.

That's why I like to always freeze any bread or related items when I get them and take out only as many slices as I need/plan to use out of the freezer to thaw in a ziploc bag an hour or 2 before I plan to use it that way no risk of things spoiling or rush. Haven't dealt with moldy bread in years.

OP
OP
perfectchaos007

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Sounds like I need to start freezing my bread. I have a small freezer though, would refrigerating the bread extend its life as well?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I think I saw something about the mold having filaments all the way through the loaf and the blue stuff is just the part you can see, it stopped me just trimming the bread.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Throw the whole thing out immediately. Don't even look at it.

Anything else is disgusting.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like I need to start freezing my bread. I have a small freezer though, would refrigerating the bread extend its life as well?
Anytime I look for bread, can't find it on top of the fridge and then I open said fridge...and I see the bread...my god...

I'm in shock
The nerve
The audacity
Not okay

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A Comicbook story waiting to happen... eating mold... soon they developed powers beyond their imagination
They became known as... Captain Mold.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Freezing does prolong the life of bread a lot. I generally have one in the fridge and replace it with one from the freezer when I'm done.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dont feed it to birds. Bread is generally bad for them and the mold can actually fuckin' kill them. Don't kill birds, please.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I keep bread in the freezer so I don't have this issue. But if I encountered it then I'd try to salvage the loaf first.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Laughed out loud when I saw this thread.

The fuck is this? Hahaha.

Throw that shit away. Just because you can't see mold on the rest of the bread doesn't mean it's not there.

This reminds me that I came home drunk one night, made a sandwich in the dark kitchen, started eating it, and my mouth went numb. Moldy bread. Vomited all over the kitchen...felt pretty damn alright in the morning though lol.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
Cut off and eat, tho usually make our own bread, which is great and tend to use something you've made more efficiently.

I'll also eat nearly anything after expiration, with few exceptions. I don't believe they're very accurate.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Store your bread in the fridge if you don't plan to eat it within a week of opening, unless it's one of those shelf brands that's 90% preservatives.