• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Different art style, use Super Mario Bros. 2 as the base and inspiration.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Graphical style like Rayman Legends.

Stage design like Super Mario Challenge in SMM 3DS. At least the later stages.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want a New Super Mario bros. Game. But I would like a new 2D Mario game that controls as tightly as the original NES games. And has a general faster pace, as well. I think that's one of the reasons why Super Luigi U was my favorite of that bunch. The stages were shorter and more compact while being challenging, but the pace was faster well. And a more interesting art direction wouldn't hurt, either.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Levels that feature a 2D Captain Toad who is wandering about trying to solve puzzles and you have to manipulate the blocks around him in order to help him.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
btw if TWO DUDES could make a game that looks as good as cuphead I fully expect multibillion dollar corporation Nintendo to top that with a new mario game

the bar has been raised for 2d platformer visuals

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
New 2D Motion Artstyle based on classic 2D art by Yoichi Kotabe
9.mpo
Ala Wario Shake It. It would be fantastic

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
OP you nailed it with your first point. I want the art style to recreate those amazing Mario illustrations from my childhood.

NSMB is always fun, but the art style is so tired.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
A new art style is all. Seriously why haven't we got a Mario game in the style of the classic Mario art?

All of the New series is good, and U was amazing, but man is that art style tired and boring. Hopefully they drop the "New" part of the title as well. Ain't nothing new about it.

Otherwise I just want them to make the 2D Mario they know how to make oh so well.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Bros. 4 with a brand new hand drawn art style. Leave the NSMB series behind forever, please.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I actually liked the art style of NSMB U. Just some brand new locations and fresh ideas in level design would make me happy. Oh and more secret exits and hidden levels would be great!

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Beside the aforementioned art style and music, I would like to see the challenges from the 3DS Mario maker be included for all levels (personally over the 3 star coins being the challenge portion of each level). Those challenges are some of the most enjoyable moments in any 2D Mario game.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
Get rid of yellow Toad because he should never have been the 4th player in the first place. Add at the BARE MINIMUM Peach and Rosalina because they already have designs for them in power-up suits (because of 3D World). New art style would be great, I'd prefer the one in OP. The NSMB art style is fine but it's just... soulless.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Get rid of yellow Toad because he should never have been the 4th player in the first place. Add at the BARE MINIMUM Peach and Rosalina because they already have designs for them in power-up suits (because of 3D World).

Yeah this. We need a NSMB game with playable Peach / other playable female characters. The yellow Toad thing was ridiculous.

Beside the aforementioned art style and music, I would like to see the challenges from the 3DS Mario maker be included for all levels (personally over the 3 star coins being the challenge portion of each level). Those challenges are some of the most enjoyable moments in any 2D Mario game.

Hear hear.

Jojo Leir

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
  • Dancing koopas
  • Every level plays a different remix of the original main theme from NSBM. People don't know what's what, but they shall learn.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, existence.

I was just thinking this morning about how Odyssey didn't really sate my appetite for some Mario platforming. NSMB probably has a much better chance of hitting soon than a 3D World successor, and I'm ready for it.

Improving the music would be the best change they could make. A new visual style wouldn't hurt but isn't necessary IMO. A more interconnected world map would also be nice, NSMBU did a little but didn't go as far a SMW.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Not to be called "New". How about Super Mario Adventures?

- A more organic world map, and each level has its own unique look.
- Crazier levels, like a witch house where you get shrunk and fight ants (like in Super Mario Land 2), a lego tower, a carnival, etc etc.
- Meet well-known as well as new faces on the way and have them team up. Including Bowser, Wario, Captain Toad, Peach, Luigi, Rosalina and more.
- Swap (somewhat) freely between characters within the levels, and let more players join your adventure whenever they want.
- Secret branches that make sense, like taking you to a harbor where you play a harbor level and meet a new character and you get on a boat to reach further down the map that way.
- Special coins/stars/items on each stage that are easier to collect with certain characters.
- More interesting visuals.

Something like that would be cool.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
At this point, existence.

I was just thinking this morning about how Odyssey didn't really sate my appetite for some Mario platforming. NSMB probably has a much better chance of hitting soon than a 3D World successor, and I'm ready for it.

Did you play Super Mario Challenge in Mario Maker 3DS? It's amazing.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
New art style, new music style, new name. Make everything new, without being "new".

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. New 2D Motion Artstyle based on classic 2D art by Yoichi Kotabe
    9.mpo

You all know the artwork. You've seen it everywhere. It's been used more and more to represent Mario and friends outside the games. But I think if Nintendo were to use this artstyle in a similar vein to Cuphead, it would excite a lot of fans and give the series a fresh look.
You fucking nailed it.

I hate the look of NSMB.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Completely different aesthetic. It's absurd how many times they reused the NSMB Wii castle/underwater themes D:

I'm hoping Odyssey's success gives them confidence to be a bit more daring in that regard.

Nov 6, 2017
Ok you sold me with that artsyle. I would absolutely love that for a 2d game! In actuality maybe letting us swap artsyles? That could even be turned into a gameplay gimmick where certain obstacles require certain artsyles to progress (wall jumping for 3d art work, go behind objects with 2d).

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Actual new worlds like a space theme. Ditch the ground, desert, ice, rock, lava, etc. type worlds that they keep repeating in every game with little variation.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I've been looking for this quote, I'll add to OP, but Miyamoto spoke on a new artstyle for a 2D game.

On whether we'll see a 2D game made of Yoichi Kotabe's classic Mario art…

We're at almost like a turning point. When you look at Mickey Mouse there is the classic Mickey Mouse, and then there is the modern Mickey Mouse and the classic one has a lot of flavor to it and the modern Mickey Mouse looks really great, but it is losing a little bit of the flavor, and that's something we discuss to make sure we keep that intact as we're creating characters. And of course the development team for any Mario game may want to use Kotabe's art, but there is also a character-development team that's really working hard to create new styles and new work. Once they get more work done, I think more and more of that will be reflected into games.

We did a collaboration recently with Uniqlo where it was a contest for people to send in drawings, and like that we want to continue create and evolve new art styles.

… I do believe that Mr Kotabe's art has become kind of a standard within Nintendo, but we definitely want to continue to see if we can evolve that as time goes by.

https://nintendoeverything.com/miya...t-interest-in-having-classic-games-on-switch/

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Base all of the worlds on the Odyssey Kingdoms. Have a Galaxy-style world where there are sections involving you jumping over gravity-altering planetoids.

InsrtCoins

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The art style is the most immediately noticeable shortcoming. I just can't get excited for a new Mario 2D platformer when the recent Rayman games have been so great. It's just not something I need anymore.

flyingorion

Dec 4, 2017
Just anything not "New". So many other 2D platformers since 2006, when NSMB was actually fresh, have surpassed Mario with freshness. Sonic Mania, Freedom Planet, Tropical Freeze, Rayman Origins, Shovel Knight, Celeste, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wario Land Shake It, etc...

I will say Super Mario Maker was perfect, but I want something actually new. Bring back the crazy fantastical worlds. Have Koji Kondo compose the original soundtrack or Mahito Yokota.

I'm tired of the plastic feel and same damn worlds geeze.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
I agree with OP's suggestion of using the artstyle of Yoichi Kotabe.

Other than that, I want them to focus on making the game feel like an adventure.
It's become clear that the NSMB series have leaned way to hard on the "levels" type of gameplay, where you need a flagpole at the end because traditions or something.

Fuck that. Be original. Make more levels like the Spiral Tower (my favorite from SMB3):

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I like those ideas, but I think it will stay separate. I think Mario Maker will go in the direction of giving people more tools to do what Nintendo has done in 2D Mario, while NSMB tries to do new things you won't be able to do in Mario Maker.

I'd definitely like to see NSMB play around with new art styles. Make the switching of styles the gimmick of the game even. There's so much they could do.