Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to skip over the immediate consequences of The Dark Knight so Bruce's injury and subsequent return aren't felt as much.

Weird gaps in logic like the Stock Market transfers or sending literally every cop under ground.

The weird Robin sequel bait that doesn't matter.

A nuclear bomb roaming the city for months, or something.

Batman flying the bomb off into the sunset, but not allowing us to see how he escaped.

I'd say those are the reasons I never wanted to rewatch it after seeing it in the theater.

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's as strong because it's not the story they wanted to tell. Heath Ledger dying and not being able to bring the joker back was an issue. Also, as others have said it's hard to follow Dark Knight.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It was a nearly three-hour film which spends little to no time developing its lead character, so it can instead devote that time to empty, poorly written fan-service characters.

Wut? The entire film is about Bruce Wayne and overcoming his childhood trauma.

its weird how it seems like they wanted to do a nolan ending of "is bruce wayne alive or not" but then they just dont and show him alive and fine

I really don't get this idea that is consistently brought up. It's like people saw Inception and somehow think Nolan films are supposed to have ambiguous endings when Inception is the only film of his that does that. Nothing about TDKR setup an ambiguous ending, we're supposed to know and see that Bruce is alive, that he "made it." The whole film is building to this final point. It's about The Dark Knight Rising from despair to allow Bruce Wayne to finally live.

The film would not work with some ambiguous ending.

Last edited:

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The movie asks far, far, FAR too much of the viewer in order to make the plot make any sense. Wrestling storylines have made more sense, and those have involved actual wizards and cults.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
For me is the best movie of the Nolan trilogy (and with "best" I mean the one I enjoy the most). But who knows, maybe the same irrational vitriol that some people has for all things DC.

I guess the movie has some of the problems that tend to come up in other Nolan movies like some weird editing and "pay fucking attention and then fill the gaps with your mind" pace.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Poorly paced, weirdly shot and directed, nonsensical story, poorly written villains, bad ending...

Hard disagree on the prison escape stuff. It was so bad, especially Bane's pontificating. My bf quotes that scene all the time and none of what he says makes sense. It's contradictory babble like most of the script (and arguably most of the TDK, but I only think that movie is ok, so take that as you will).

All of Nolan's Batman movies have a terrible third act. And on top of that, TKDR is third act in the trilogy so it's extra bad.
The bomb plot is stupid and they chickened out on making Bane an actual communist.

Also these. It pulled too many punches.

Unpopular opinion: The ending of The Dark Knight is worse than anything in Dark Knight Rises.

This I also agree with, you can really tell they had to edit around Heath Ledger's death and came up with a different ending as originally planned and thus the third movie's script suffered too. They should have just recast Ledger and stuck with their original plans.

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You're describing Batman Begins, not TDKR. TDKR should have spent as much time as Begins with Bruce, but instead wastes more than half its runtime on Joseph Gordon Levitt and Anne Hathaway.

Yeah...no.

First, Begins is not about Bruce overcoming his trauma by the simple fact that he is still Batman. It's literally the beginning of his journey. Second, when was the last time you saw TDKR? The films spends nearly all of its time on Bruce. The first 55 minutes are all about Bruce, he doesn't suit up until 55 minutes into the film. In that time, we explore his broken life and everything that's happened in the interim between TDK. Once he gets beaten by Bane, we then get sometime to witness some other characters, but the film also constantly switches back to develop Bruce as he begins to resolve his own depression and trauma. Once he exists the pit, the film is back to focusing on him.

TDKR is a film completely about Bruce Wayne.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
talia-deathgif.gif
yeah, was coming to post this
what happened to Marion here ? jesus

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bloated mess, and on top of that it has thematically aged like a pile of shit.

The whole "cops vs Bane" shit in 2020 is even more eye rollingly awful than it was before. Someone else mentioned it, but the movie is basically unwatchable for me now.

MG310

Oct 25, 2017
Everything mentioned here

Plus the thing Bane is most famous for looked like shit.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bane is bad, tom hardy is a great actor but he did a piss poor job with bane, It's to long, the timeline of the movie doesn't make any sense. It's just one shitty thing with the movie after another, great actors who just dropped the ball hard on the movie.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'll agree with people saying it's just too much. Too many plot threads, too many characters, too many setpieces, and none of it every comes together into a coherent story. The scale is way off, so it gets lost in its own size and spectacle. It's sort of "Nolan unleashed," but with all of his worst trademarks and none of his good ones.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
There's a lot of stuff that doesn't really make much sense and really requires you to suspend your disbelief a bit much. Like when they trick all the police in the city to march into subway tunnels and get captured. It's not a bad movie, its just the weakest of a trilogy of movies.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
There's some top tier Batmanning in Rises...and a lot of shit too.

+ All the Howard Hughes stuff in the Bat Mansion with frail hermit Bruce is great
+ Batman's actual first appearance on the bike is hype as hell
+ Selina pretending to freak out in the bar
+ Bane's dialogue in the sewer fight
+ Reliably emotional Alfred scenes
+ Batman's "death" fakeout
+ Blake finding the Batcave
+ The Batman and Catwoman rooftop fight
+ The actor cast as young Ra's
+ The attempt to meld the look and feel of the first two films

- Every cop trapped underground
- Every cop getting out and charging into battle like an army
- Cable TV in pit prison
- Fixing a broken back with a punch
- Bruce getting back to and into Gotham somehow
- The flaming bat signal
- Batman randomly bumping into Catwoman and the kid
- Blake discovering Bruce is Batman based on an orphan's hunch and not detective work
- Talia's death scene
- The clunky Robin line

This is pretty good for me. Add in the whole notion that Wayne could be made bankrupt by the fraud that Bane committed. Ridiculous & stupid.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
It felt like it was aiming for all these great moments and ambitious ideas but didn't really know how to tie it all together.

Last edited:

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
There isn't much right about the film imo. The list of what the film did right is far shorter than what it got wrong.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just kinda boring and none of the new additions to the cast are any good really, and they get a lot of screen time.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Among other things, how did JGL's character just *know* (you know? i just knew) he was the Bat but no one else could? Come on.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Nolan's plotlines are always convoluted, but in this movie he takes it to a whole nother level.
Joker's elaborate schemes in Dark Knight seem plausible by comparison.

But that's a lot of his filmography.
They're fun, well directed, well produced movies, but you can't think too much about what's going on or you start to see the cracks.

This is why is Insomnia is legit his best film. Holds up extremely well on repeat viewings, more nuances in the writing and performances come out the more you see of it. It's got a top 5 Pacino performance. Robin Williams is chilling in how subtle and detached his performance is.

It's not a bloated, pretentious labyrinth of plot contrivances and exposition. It's just a great, straightforward film with two powerhouse performances from two of the best actors to ever do it, and it oozes atmosphere and tension.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Coronavirus is going to be around longer than Bruce Wayne was Batman in these movies. "Robin" was a huge eye-roll. Batman taking the time to draw out a big bat signal was dumb. White-washed Bane sucks. I enjoyed the movie for the most part though.

BetterWorldz

Oct 27, 2017
It loses a lot of the realism that was part of the series. One example is the absurdity of Bruce having a vertebra hanging out and being kicked into place or a permanently damaged knee magically healing.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Not as exciting as The Dark Knight, snail paced story, also it took 45 minutes after the film started for Batman to appear, and when he does, it's underwhelming... : /

Batman Begins even more enjoyable to me than this film.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
My biggest issue with the film is that they crammed way to much story into not enough time.

They managed to succeed in making a movie that is both to long and yet needed more time to fully tell it's story.

Deleted member 30395

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Tom Hardy is amazing, but Bane was a farcical mess.

Worst super-villain voice in movie history.

...for you

Okay, since the rest of the thread is going to pretend this trashfire of a finale is "fine," I'll have to state the truth. TDKR is kind of terrible. None of it makes any damn sense, it's a completely ridiculous way to follow up the ending of TDK, and even forgiving the derailment of losing Heath Ledger and thus not being able to use the Joker, it's a trainwreck for most of its runtime. It could not be more obvious that Jonathan Nolan wrote Begins and TDK, and Goyer wrote TDKR as Nolan transitioned to Person of Interest. TDKR has all the hallmarks of Goyer's sloppy, terrible plotting and inability to make pieces fit together or characters behave as human beings.

Let's just take the basic premise of the story:

1. So the scheme hatched to blame Batman at the end of TDK...worked. Perfectly. So instead of focusing on the hunt for the Dark Knight alluded to in the final moments of the last film, you're just gonna...jump over that? Or it didn't happen at all? Bruce just went home and never went out again? For 8 years, Gotham has had low crime and a civic hero in Harvey Dent. The only person who has a problem with this seems to be Jim Gordon. Why is this a problem? Blame the basically fictional urban legend, get better life for everyone in the city. Sure, Bane shows up but why does Batman have to, you know, dress as Batman? Just put on tactical gear and fight him under a different name, like Deathstroke or something. Who's gonna know?
2. Wait, eight years? Why is there an eight year time jump from TDK to TDKR? Nobody looks almost a decade older. Bruce has crippling knee problems eight years later from being Batman for like 10 months?
3. Why does the orphan kid ask Joseph Gordon Levitt if Batman is coming back? If crime is so much better why would anyone want Batman back? What's he going to solve? For that matter why does an 8 year old kid even know who Batman is or care? The events of TDK took place about the time this kid was born.
4. Whoops, the 8 year time skip was so JGL's character could have seen Batman as a kid and recognized his "orphan eyes" (wtf?) but now be an adult cop who can take up the mantle of the bat at the end. Goyer disrupted the entire flow of the story for this, for some reason. The 8 year skip makes zero sense in any other context.

And that's just the starting point of the plot. That doesn't get into Bane's complete lack of endgame, Talia's non-plan, the notion that Bruce Wayne would abandon his psychosis to go hang out in cafes, healing back injuries with well-placed punches, who painted the flaming batsymbol on the bridge, the clumsy way of getting Alfred out of town (maybe he painted it on his way out), the awful action choreography, Catwoman's inclusion purely as a replacement Rachel to give Bruce an arbitrary "happy" ending, and the general empty-headedness of the entire film in comparison to its predecessors.

In the long history of trilogies blowing it in the third film, TDKR is an all time champion. It's one of the biggest drops in quality from one sequel to the next in the history of film, and that would be true even if TDK wasn't as good as it is. Is it the worst superhero film ever? Of course not, it's not even the worst Batman film ever, but it's a distinctly bad effort in a trilogy whose first two entries are top of the genre work.

all of this!

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Bane: "It would be very painful"
Littlefinger: "You're a big guy, you can take it."
Bane: "For you!"

The movie was good. It sure as hell wasn't bad, and I think it's better than Batman Begins. Talia wishing to complete her father's goal of destroying Gotham was a good bookend. I thought Bane as a protege who failed for being too violent facing a protege who failed for refusing to kill was intriguing but just didn't have good payoff - having Catwoman just shoot him was too abrupt. Same with Talia's death.

I think if they wanted Bruce to be semi-retired and unable to be Batman anymore, they should have gone all-out and had JGL's character be Terry McGinnis. DKR should have been Nolan's Batman Beyond.