• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight was my 2017 GOTY. I dropped Dead Cells after two hours.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Ive put in 70+ hours into Hollow Knight and it can easily reach 100, I'd put it in my top 20 games of all time I have had that much fun with it.

Dead Cells is incredibly fun but I do not think it will reach that high of regard for me when I am done with it.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Dead Cells by a huge margin

Hollow Knight i kinda dropped 5 hours in, didn't grab me at all, and always feeling lost didn't help

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight is magical and the fun comes from the wonderful exploration and the fun slightly strategic fighting / healing system.

Dead Cells has an incredibly satisfying progression system, a fast paced action based fighting system and more replayability.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully someone made a "Hollow Knight or Dead Cells?" thread that will direct my next purchase.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Dead Cells is the more enjoyable game.

Hollow Knight hasn't been that great, just not enjoyable and takes way to long to get going.

Dead Cells puts you in the great action from thw start.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dead cells is by far the better game, it's not even close.

However, I'm not convinced they are particularly comparable

Solrac

Nov 4, 2017
you're comparing two different genres...is like i'd say, which one is better mario kart o gran turismo / forza?

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Dead Cells has tighter controls, better combat and artstyle [dat pixel art hnnngg]

Hollow Knight has better exploration, more interesting world and story, with combat and controls also being extremely good just not as good as DC.

I love both, can't really choose.

you're comparing two different genres...is like i'd say, which one is better mario kart o gran turismo / forza?

Forza Horizon for life.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight by a big margin. I love the genre just a lot more than the run based dead cells.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
haven't played Hollow Knight, waiting for it to come to xbox... or ill play it when I get a switch if it ever gets decent pricing in Canada. I feel like it will be more in line with my tastes than dead cells which is a good game itself but maybe a little more action focused than I expected.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for the final frree content patch before playin hollow knight. The lil i played was awesome! Dead Cells is amazing so far! Best castlevania roguelike for sure althioits more like classicvania than igavania.

large_gourd

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 29, 2018
They're only superficially similar.

I think Dead Cells is more fun. Hollow Knight has a fairly nice atmosphere but feels a bit, how do I put it...soft? bland?

They're both pretty good games but yeah besides them sharing a 2D scrolling perspective they don't have that much in common at all.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be honest both games has their own magic but I'll pick Dead Cells. The games smoothness is soooooo satisfying

Not playing on Switch then, huh?

I'm going to have to go with Hollow Knight. While Dead Cells has amazing combat, the rogue design of it takes away from the purity of exploration and sense of place that HK has. Dead Cells is still incredible (Switch performance aside, which has soured me on the game tbh) but Hollow Knight as an all round experience beats it out. For me, Hollow Knight was a 40 hour addiction, Dead Cells is something I'm jumping in and out of when the frustration gets too much. I think the problem with a roguelike is you can get really far, die, go back to the start and go "no, fuck this" and turn it off. Hollow Knight has almost no points where I wanted to turn it off, ever.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure I agree. The white palace in Hollow Knight has some extremely precision based platforming bits, yet the thight controls always makes even the hardest parts feel achievable.

It's basically a fact, HK has small but noticeable input lag because of the Unity engine. Controls are tight in HK, but not as tight as in DC.

And White Palace wasn't really that hard, especially for people who played super meatboy.

Oct 25, 2017
Dead Cells feels more rewarding. And offers more replayability. It also doesn't teeter near overstaying its welcome.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Haven't played Dead Cells yet due to a strong dislike for roguelikes.

But Hollow Knight is in my top 5 games of all time after playing it this year, so yeah, I'd be very surprised if I liked Dead Cells more than it to say the least :p

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's basically a fact, HK has small but noticeable input lag because of the Unity engine. Controls are tight in HK, but not as tight as in DC.

And White Palace wasn't really that hard, especially for people who played super meatboy.

Wasn't that refuted? As far as I recall the input lag is on par with most games running on non crt televisions. I might be wrong. There is a slight delay between pushing the jump button and leaving the ground, but that is intentional, and is something that the game is designed around.

I did play Super Meat Boy, and I ran into a wall halfway through. I guess I'm not great at that kind of precision jumping. HK has a difficulty level appropriate for what it is. It needs to be challenging, but doable for most who play it. Locking the best ending behind a difficulty spike that most players would never be able to beat would be a bad design decision.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
I played them both long before they came to consoles because I'm cool
HK is a genre-defining game that come very close to being a masterpiece. I didn't really like DC, too grindy, repetitive, I've come to dislike roguelikes

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of odd to compare a metroidvania and a procedurally generated roguelike, but definitely Hollow Knight for me. Dead Cells is cool but I'm not patient enough for all that

Last edited:

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Celeste :p

But Hollow Knight.

Hand-crafted >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Semi randomly generated.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Definitely Hollow Knight. It a gorgeous and well designed interconnected world. When you are feeling stuck the game is open enough to let you try other venues and explore new areas, where you will find things to make you stronger and help you overcome those challenges. In Dead Cells you just repeat and repeat and repeat to get new stuff - which is much less satisfying (I think I'll drop it actually).

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Dead Cells easily, but not because Hollow Knight is bad or anything, that game just never clicked with me. I also like the aesthetics and world of Dead Cells a lot more.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight by a mile but only because I have inherent hatred towards rogue-lites with random level.

Deleted member 39144

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Yeah, Hollow Knight for me as well. I love Dead Cells: it's an amazing experience and a fantastic roguelike, but Hollow Knight is probably going to be my GotY and I could possibly see it pushing into my all time greatest list. As a Metroidvania, it shows up pretty much every other example of the genre. It's an incredible piece of work.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Dead cells is pretty fun, but I really, really don't like rougue-likes or procedurally generated stuff, so I lost interest fairly quickly unfotunately.

Hollow knight is master class though and is one of my all time favorites.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't been able to get into either one really. Hollow Knight feels really aimless, at least early on. I have no idea where I'm supposed to go or what I'm after. I'm sure it gets a lot better but haven't put more than 2-3 hours into it. Unless I've missed something the game really doesn't give you any objectives, and even after I invested in a map I barely feel like it helps.
Dead Cells feels less aimless but kinda brutal difficulty-wise, have done about 10-15 runs making it not very far each time, just feels like a grind to unlock some stuff to make things easier. It feels a little bit like Enter The Gungeon did early on though and I got super hooked by that when I invested more time and got past the early grind, so I have faith Dead Cells can be the same.

So I would say my first impression is that neither one is making a huge first impression on me.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Haven't played Dead Cells yet but going to echo a few people here and say that Hollow Knight is one of my top games of all time. It really is that good. The lore, the atmosphere, the characters, the music, the gameplay - it all comes together to make one of the most stylistically consistent games I've ever played. The devs really struck gold and nailed everything, in my opinion.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I fell off Hollow Knight after a couple of hours but I can't stop playing Dead Cells. It just plays so much better.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight

I haven't played Dead Cells, nor do i have interest in it.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Dead Cells is a fun game to play with tight controls. Hollow Knight is too open for its own good and doesn't have as tight of gameplay.

I see them as two different games really. If you want that exploration go with Hallow Knight. If you want tight 2d action go with Dead Cells.