• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Bland environments repeated ad nauseam. Terrible combat flow with button mashy characters like V and no evolution of the core systems... DMC 3 was such a bliss to play with over the top cutscens that oozed ridiculous style. DMC 5 somehow tries to take itself a lot more serious and it's for the worse. Lady and Trish are forced into the story, add nothing and play no role whatsoever. Why bother including them to begin with? And boy is the character switching annoying... just merge Dante's styles into his core gameplay, and it would make for a much more interesting gameplay.

And what happened with the character models. Vergile looks super off as does Nero. Hell all of them look kinda awful. Almost as they tried to match the style of V, since he would stand out compared to the anime style of previous entries.

Apart from Devil Trigger, the music feels worse too.

Such a bummer all around... this kinda feels like a budget title.

edit: Budget compared to the other entries. Enviroments + repeated bosses back to back.

Last edited:

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
DMC V is the first DMC game I've played and I felt like it was a great introduction to the series, combat was smooth as fuck and the music is banging.

Got that shit on vinyl and anyone who says the following track is bad needs to be removed:

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

DMC5's biggest flaws are V's playstyle being pretty jarring and not scaling well at higher difficulties, and the level design. Otherwise? Hoo boy.

Actually, wait. Nero's entire playstyle is a massive evolution from everything prior. The combination of Snatch + Devil Breaker abilities allows you to do some crazy shit. Dante's new weapons have movesets that are completely insane and evolve the combat system through their own merits alone.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
It came out and is one of the best action games I've played with a killer soundtrack and hype story moments

one of the best games of 2019

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
The only negative aspect is the repetitive "infernal organic bloody" setting. The rest of the game is simply the best HnS game ever made.

George Romero

Oct 5, 2018
yes, story is boring AF, gameplay is good,,nothing especial, you play the same level design over and over. Playing with V is a drag.

I could not finish

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
You had me at bland environments...

you lost me at everything else...

Dante is the best version of Dante in any DMC...schtop

but touché V sucks...Dante is that good though that I stomached throughly through his sections. Also the arena is super fun getting to 100. A nice way to play as Dante or Nero without interruption.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
It was pretty good, but for me a step back from IV. The new and expanded moves for Dante and Nero are cool, I kind of enjoyed the spammy way V played, and the music is sweet. The levels, as you note, are just long slogs of nasty slime tunnels or ruined European towns. DMC IV was knocked for repeating maps, but I think they were at least much more visually distinct. I also think the bosses in IV were much, MUCH better and more memorable than anything from V. Apparently everyone loves the Nero fight? I'll take Credo any day.

Edit: Reminded by the thumbnail above. The thirsty ass camera and posing on the shopkeeper is so weird. Like, she's this brash, foul mouthed shit talker during cutscenes. Then in the shop she does these waifu poses and is always kind of staring at the camera in this maybe I'm shy, maybe I'm interested in you? sort of way. Just me? Felt very out of place.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's on par with DMC3.

I get most of your complaints, even if I don't agree with them, but saying it feels like a budget title is kinda wild.

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the highest-rated games of the year, and won Action Game of the Year at The Game Awards. The combat is much more evolved than 3. OP go home you're drunk.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
You know you can talk shit about the environments but the models and gameplay are bad? LOOOOOOOOOL. The models are some of the best from Last year and Nero stands above pretty much any action game Character bar Dante

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I honestly like DMC3 more but the op is downplaying 5 way to hard.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Mechanically it's strong, but I don't think it's a particularly well put-together campaign. I didn't love it.

Last edited:

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
It's a great game that released. Still being played and discovered by many, just like DMC 3 and 4 did before.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
The only problem with V I had was the environments, everything else was premium.

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with the scenarios not being that great for the last half of the game.
Other than that the game is amazing.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I guess it was an effort to appeal to people like me who have never enjoyed the DMC games, because DMC V was actually fun to control and having all those abilities with all those different characters really kept things fresh. The nice part is, if you just want a game that plays exactly like DMC 3 or DMC 4, you can just go play those games. They still exist. I will say, I agree with you on the music. It sucks. All of it. The story/cutscene stuff too is horrible. But the game plays great. I hope DMC 6 is just a refinement of 5, and still lets me skip cutscenes.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I think DMC5 is only inferior to DMC3 in its storytelling, which after 5 games I feel was a fluke at this point. DMC3 was nonsense sure, but the focus on Vergil and Dante was great for the drama and giving Dante real competition helped a lot. the problem with most the other games is that it feels most of the bad guys are cannon fodder except when the plot dictates they not be, and the stuff with Nero I love (lol at my avatar) with Kyrie and everything, but handwaving big plot details like Nero's parentage and what the story was even really trying to do makes it a bit lackluster.

That and also I still stand by the production values, mo cap, and cutscene direction in DMC3 being on another level for PS2 at the time. The whole scene with Jester/Arkham before the tower "upgrades" is one of my favorite cutscenes from PS2.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i agree with the bland environments all the rest though...it's probably second only to bayonetta 1 in terms of combat

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest flaw with DMCV wasn't the environments, and it wasn't even V (and I do hate V).

No, the biggest flaw with DMCV was the five. bloody. loading screens. before every single mission. Loading screen for the mission select screen. Loading screen for cutscenes. Loading screen for the bloody menu. Then another loading screen for the post-menu pre-level cutscene. Then another loading screen for the level itself.

Streamline that garbage, Capcom. It makes replaying levels - the ENTIRE BLOODY POINT OF DEVIL MAY CRY - an absolute chore.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
The biggest flaw with DMCV wasn't the environments, and it wasn't even V (and I do hate V).

No, the biggest flaw with DMCV was the five. bloody. loading screens. before every single mission. Loading screen for the mission select screen. Loading screen for cutscenes. Loading screen for the bloody menu. Then another loading screen for the post-menu pre-level cutscene. Then another loading screen for the level itself.

Streamline that garbage, Capcom. It makes replaying levels - the ENTIRE BLOODY POINT OF DEVIL MAY CRY - an absolute chore.
PS5 is the answer...

Oct 27, 2017
Hot take but I think DMC5 was exactly the shot in the arm the series needed after DmC and the people that didn't like DMC5 are just mad that Dante has white hair! ;)

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
could not get into it, but that's because I'm not into games scoring every fight I have, except for Bayonetta.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely does have some issues. Primarily the dull level designs and V's combat mechanics being very unfun.

However overall it's still a very solid game

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
What? The combat is amazing. The environments are bland but I didn't care personally.
I know this is a troll but come the fuck on. DMC5 has the most attractive cast of characters in a video game ever. Even if you don't like the gameplay and level design, you can't deny this.
Yeah the cast is sexy AF