opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
As a contractor we can't take too much more of this. Pretty sure my bonus is gone. I do worry some may lose jobs.
My funding ran out a few days ago, so I'm on "leave" now. Don't know how long this is going to last but it's definitely a shit-show. My work provides health insurance, so I'm a bit worried about what's going to happen with that. So far they say they'll cover us to "at least the end of February."

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
Okay, so probably a stupid question (brit here), will those who worked during the shutdown get paid for their time after government re-opens or is it flat out "you worked for free, voluntarily" (even though chances are if they didn't they'd lose their job)?

I mean, if it goes on past end of jan does feb even matter? They'd prob still have to wait till end of feb to get paid anyway.(edit: to clarify I don't mean this in a harsh 'deal with it' way at all, the tone of this is completely wrong and i don't mean offence by it at all, felt it was worth clarifying as this must be a tough time for all affected)

It's pretty much a shitty situation for all, a lot of people live psycheck to paycheck, and some are only one missed paycheck off being homeless...

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so probably a stupid question (brit here), will those who worked during the shutdown get paid for their time after government re-opens or is it flat out "you worked for free, voluntarily" (even though chances are if they didn't they'd lose their job)?

I mean, if it goes on past end of jan does feb even matter? They'd prob still have to wait till end of feb to get paid anyway.(edit: to clarify I don't mean this in a harsh 'deal with it' way at all, the tone of this is completely wrong and i don't mean offence by it at all, felt it was worth clarifying as this must be a tough time for all affected)

It's pretty much a shitty situation for all, a lot of people live psycheck to paycheck, and some are only one missed paycheck off being homeless...
Those that are hired directly by the governmnt will get paid. Contractors won't.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
And any idea what they plan to vote in 2020? Because my guts tell me that 99% are still gonna vote straight GOP
If they stay home that's as good enough as voting for rhe Democrats to me.

This one thing likely won't force them to stay home but every little bit helps so let's keep the pressure.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I'm personally affected since I work for NOAA but have no funds to do any meaningful work as in climate change models that require access to supercomputers.
I'm really sorry to hear about that. Like on a gut level. Working in climate science must be a particularly anxiety-inducing job these days. For your sake and everybody else, I hope this shutdown ends at midnight tonight with Trump having a heart attack on the Air Force One shitter. And then the shit hurtles downwards, pelting Ann Coulter on the head while she is doing something in public.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm just waiting for a riot at an USP when the BOP stops showing up. Last shutdown, people were calling out constantly and that was a lot shorter.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
If they stay home that's as good enough as voting for rhe Democrats to me.

This one thing likely won't force them to stay home but every little bit helps so let's keep the pressure.
I believe that's the new politics (according to that article about how Soros became a boogie-man I think?).
People are too entrenched in their beliefs to radically change them, expecially in this age of various targeted media, so you have to play to keep them away from the polls rather than getting to the polls for your cause.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't going to last another month. Either the airports shut down which destroys travel/commerce and makes people angry, or people end up not getting their next round of SNAP benefits which will make people really angry.

Republicans like to think they're relatively safe from the poor masses. Take away their food though and you'll see them beaten and dragged out into the streets. It won't be people yelling at them in restaurants, it'll be people beating the shit out of them in restaurants.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
There are about 40 million people that receive assistance through SNAP who just received the last of their benefits until the shutdown ends.
Honest question, sorry if I sound like a complete idiot: what is going to happen to these 40 million people if the shutdown continues? Are we talking about people being forced to borrow money from friends and family so they can buy food? Outright begging as if they're homeless?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question, sorry if I sound like a complete idiot: what is going to happen to these 40 million people if the shutdown continues? Are we talking about people being forced to borrow money from friends and family so they can buy food? Outright begging as if they're homeless?
That's the idea. The suffering is the feature, not the bug.

Oct 27, 2017

In past shutdowns, Congress passed legislation to give back pay to all affected workers. It will probably happen again, whenever it ends.

They're on their own. They'll either have to go to a food pantry/charity, borrow money, get help from family or friends, beg, steal, or starve. It's a completely fucked situation.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People who can't afford to eat will have to rely on friends/begging/charity if they can, and others, I'm sure, will just go without -- Which I think would invariably result in at least some deaths. GOP will have blood on their hands

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

c60jyc0.jpg

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Elect a new senate majority leader.

Which would take probably until April or later to get the will up, after people March on the mall.

Aah, n/m. I thought there was a senate procedure to force a vote by the majority party even if the senate leader does not invoke it. Republicans aren't electing a new majority leader. Polls also suggest that Americans are blaming Trump for the shutdown, but not residual blaming Republicans, so unless that dramatically changes you're unlikely to see any Republicans moving to oust McConnell.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
We won't get to 1/25. Vulnerable Republican Senators will cave before that. We are already seeing cracks.

I'm not trying to be an ass, just that when clicking the thread it took me to the usage with your post, but man, trying to be optimistic about the shutdown on the 10th that it wouldn't go as far the 25th and we're almost there

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Lol if I'm wrong I'm wrong, but the vote is today so we'll see.
Oh it's not even about being wrong, we could have all been wrong with guess. It was me about how hopeful people were trying to be at the start of this thinking there was no way the government could be that stupid yet somehow that constant low bar gets lower

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm listening to the History of Rome (link seems down at the moment), and also Hardcore History. Specifically Death Throes of the Republic.

Make sure to check out the book "The Storm Before the Storm". It's basically the guy who made The History of Rome redoing the part of the podcast between the Gracchi and Sulla. He pays extra attention to the erosion of Roman social and political norms and customs during the period and makes oblique references to a post Trump America.

I mean, check out the qualities of the Late Roman Republic he lists in the introduction:

- Rising economic inequality
- Dislocation of traditional ways of life
- Battles over access to citizenship and voting rights
- Ongoing military quagmires
- The introduction of violence as a political tool
- A set of elites so obsessed with their own privileges they refuse to reform the system in time to save it.

Any of this sound familiar?

Plus he narrates the audio book and its excellent.

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
A set of elites so obsessed with their own privileges they refuse to reform the system in time to save it.

I'm basically up to this part with the Social Wars in Dan Carlin's podcast, and man the parallels... All I keep thinking about is that classic Republican attitude: "fuck you, got mine."

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
People saying violence towards Republicans are optimistic. My mom is a huge Trumper and constantly has been saying she's shocked "Schumer and Pelosi haven't been killed yet."

Trumpers are probably crazy enough to try it if it gets to that point.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Here's a bit of a worrying thought - what if essential parts of the government end up being funded piecemeal as a compromise without the whole thing actually reopening, essentially de-facto shutting down most of the "non-critical" (but still really important) parts of the government while leaving only the bits that stop the whole country from collapsing.

Sounds like a Republican wet dream...

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People aren't being payed. This won't last all year. There will be actual blood if that's the case.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Make sure to check out the book "The Storm Before the Storm". It's basically the guy who made The History of Rome redoing the part of the podcast between the Gracchi and Sulla. He pays extra attention to the erosion of Roman social and political norms and customs during the period and makes oblique references to a post Trump America.

I mean, check out the qualities of the Late Roman Republic he lists in the introduction:

Any of this sound familiar?

Plus he narrates the audio book and its excellent.
People are WAY too stupid and arrogant to learn from history. I don't know why schools even bother to teach it anymore.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a bit of a worrying thought - what if essential parts of the government end up being funded piecemeal as a compromise without the whole thing actually reopening, essentially de-facto shutting down most of the "non-critical" (but still really important) parts of the government while leaving only the bits that stop the whole country from collapsing.

Sounds like a Republican wet dream...
Why would the Democrats agree to a Republican wet dream?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we'll see politicians actually get dragged out into the streets but I doubt it. Idk how many times situations like Venezuela happen only for things to not get any better.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
People are WAY too stupid and arrogant to learn from history. I don't know why schools even bother to teach it anymore.

Yep. "Smart" people ignore history nowadays because they either don't get it or it's too inconvenient to acknowledge the parallels to the modern world. This is especially true of people in Business or STEM.

They better ignore that shit at their own peril. It still needs to be taught even if most people aren't listening.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
A government shutdown should never be a viable negotiating tactic. It should be an event to avoid at risk of losing control of government (via re-election). I think I've said this a million times now but why doesn't the US have anything on triggering a re-election at a budget impasse like many other democracies do?

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
A government shutdown should never be a viable negotiating tactic. It should be an event to avoid at risk of losing control of government (via re-election). I think I've said this a million times now but why doesn't the US have anything on triggering a re-election at a budget impasse like many other democracies do?
Because then they can't use that tactic anymore and actually have to do their jobs.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Our constitution has nothing written about redoing elections when a government is at an impasse.

Technically we have midterm elections as the way to "correct" government, but most eligible voters do not show up to them. I fear a redo of elections would just result in less turnout.

U.S, despite calling itself one, is no where near Democratic (I know U.S is technically a Constitutional Republic, but proper representation should still be what it strives for). The goal one party has in mind of Democracy is reducing turnout as much as possible through any means possible, even illegally and unconstitutionally because there are no significant consequences to doing so.