• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're talking about a literal impossibility.

Practically every member of the Senate you could find would be hung in a public square well before it hit 2020.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The shutdown will last until the public stops it. We can stop it anytime we want to.. But we are busy with work and Starbucks and such.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Honestly not seeing riots over the shutdown, because the US population (much like here in Canada) is a walking corpse, automatons from capitalism. The minute they try something they'll get crushed by your militarized police and propaganda that will blame the left for some reason (probably along the lines of 'these people would rather destroy the country than work'). I'd like to be proven wrong though, but it's been what, a month already and nothing changed. No riots in sight even though federal workers missed a paycheck (and soon two).

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if both sides aren't willing to back down, and both sides thinks they're 100% right and both sides think the shutdown is benefiting themselves, is there anything stopping a shutdown from just........lasting perpetually?

I mean, if no one ends up changing their minds, I'm not aware of any external legal force that can make something happen. We'd just wait until the next set of elections.

Maybe wait until you don't receive your tax return before creating panic.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
The shutdown is becoming 'the norm', like everything else the orange stain has done.

I'm learning about the death of the Roman republic at the moment, and I know it's such a cliche to reference it, but damn the parallels are eerie. The Romans realise their rules, traditions, checks and balances are all just words, all it takes is a charismatic demagogue to appeal to a base, and go "lol, shove your rules up your ass". Then the slippery slope to dictatorship begins. I just finished a couple podcasts learning about the populist Tiberius Gracchus and his brother, and the idea postulated that the Roman senate didn't just murder them because of farming reforms they promised the masses, but because their behaviour eschewed the rules of the Republic. They could have made themselves kings if they'd had their way, considering how easily power corrupts.

Trump's kinda like a imbecilic orange Gracchus, breaking rules, promising to save his idiotic base, and after he's gone, someone else who's not so imbecilic can continue to push the envelope thanks to Trump's precedents and break the republic (well, oligarchy, whatever).

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
The shutdown is becoming 'the norm', like everything else the orange stain has done.

I'm learning about the death of the Roman republic at the moment, and I know it's such a cliche to reference it, but damn the parallels are eerie. The Romans realise their rules, traditions, checks and balances are all just words, all it takes is a charismatic demagogue to appeal to a base, and go "lol, shove your rules up your ass". Then the slippery slope to dictatorship begins. I just finished a couple podcasts learning about the populist Tiberius Gracchus and his brother, and the idea postulated that the Roman senate didn't just murder them because of farming reforms they promised the masses, but because their behaviour eschewed the rules of the Republic. They could have made themselves kings if they'd had their way, considering how easily power corrupts.

Trump's kinda like a imbecilic orange Gracchus, breaking rules, promising to save his idiotic base, and after he's gone, someone else who's not so imbecilic can continue to push the envelope thanks to Trump's precedents and break the republic (well, oligarchy, whatever).
The norm for who? I'm sure the federal employees and their families would disagree with you. Lets see what happens in March when 40+ million people have no money for food. We are on the precipice of a cliff right now and about to go over.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
If McDonald's tweeted they'll bring the McRib back once the shutdown is over things would go back to normal within 24 hours.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It won't. Air traffic controllers will walk way before then and with that, all flights become grounded. And that's just one small facet of this whole thing.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I happen to think that the shutdown *is* the feature, not a bug. Air traffic cobtrollers? Just hire substitute ones. I just happen to have a private company specializing in controlling air traffic...

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Please share that podcast if you don't mind.

chapel

Oct 25, 2017
I happen to think that the shutdown *is* the feature, not a bug. Air traffic cobtrollers? Just hire substitute ones. I just happen to have a private company specializing in controlling air traffic...
Who is going to come in and work for free? Who is going to pay the people to hire them? Where is the money to on board them? So on...

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
It won't. Air traffic controllers will walk way before then and with that, all flights become grounded. And that's just one small facet of this whole thing.

Yup. They will be forced to walk away and find something in the private sector to support their families. They will loose federal jobs forever but they have to eat.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I've never thought about buying a gun. But if this pulls until February, I'm going to go ahead and buy a gun for my family protection.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope this fuels a new Poor People's March. The precariat issue is massive, and if the GOP can help implode this issue of "prosperity" then they ain't got no leg to stand on, even the fake ones.

Jan 15, 2019
Does anyone who is educated on American politics have a good idea what is the most likely outcome for this situation?

I would say being educated in American politics isn't much help here, because we're in uncharted territory. This is the longest govt shutdown in the country's history, and the person who caused it has no concern for getting people back to work if it means bruising his ego in the process. In the past, both parties involved have at least felt pressure to do right by the people hurt by the shutdown. In this case, Trump doesn't care much one way or the other if people start starving to death as long as he ultimately gets funding for his wall.

That said, I would wager that Republicans not named Trump, particularly senators facing tough re-election fights, will eventually convince McConnell to cave. As for when that happens, I really don't know, but I feel like this shutdown will end within the next month. If the govt is still shut down at the end of February we're in very bad shape.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I can't believe that Trump forced IRS workers to go back and authorized the disbursement of tax refunds. Like, fuck... How more oblivious do you have to be that you don't want those with the means to be "inconvenienced " by him trying to shove a wall up our collective ass. Its a bet that we wont be out there in the streets eventually.

February I'm going out. Hopefully a nation-wide protest is being planned.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans will win back the house, expand their numbers in the senate, and Trump will coast to re-election. Democrats are playing a game of chicken against a group of people who are playing "permanently shrink the government" and they will bamboozle the electorate to thinking they need more power to ?give them unicorns?

Republicans are the party of "fuck government, it does nothing for you". Democrats are the party of "government can help you". If the government stays shut down for a long time, more voters are gonna side with fuck rather than help.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
McConnell needs to be overthrown so the senate can take it to a vote
That meeting:
giphy.gif

Except when he tries to jump he immediately faceplants.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never thought about buying a gun. But if this pulls until February, I'm going to go ahead and buy a gun for my family protection.
lol wtf, it's a government shutdown, not the end of society as we know it. pipe down before you put money in the pockets of scum for a tool you'll never use out of some misguided, paranoid sense of self-assurance. take that money and buy your kids some Vbucks or some shit jesus christ

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Republicans will win back the house, expand their numbers in the senate, and Trump will coast to re-election. Democrats are playing a game of chicken against a group of people who are playing "permanently shrink the government" and they will bamboozle the electorate to thinking they need more power to ?give them unicorns?

Republicans are the party of "fuck government, it does nothing for you". Democrats are the party of "government can help you". If the government stays shut down for a long time, more voters are gonna side with fuck rather than help.

Then let them be fucked.

Jan 15, 2019

I don't see that happening. Trump's approval ratings are going down as this shutdown continues. If people were going to react en masse the way you describe, his numbers would be going up.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

And pay them with what appropriations? Govt contractors arent being paid either.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
We're going to need that veto override, and so far, somehow, there isn't the will yet to do it.

Christ this is stupid. A completely manufactured crisis.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
We're going to need that veto override, and so far, somehow, there isn't the will yet to do it.

Christ this is stupid. A completely manufactured crisis.
I'm pretty sure the reason McConnell won't bring it to the Senate to vote is because there's a chance (even if it's small) that there could be enough support to override the veto and that outcome is terrifying to him.

The Senate can't override the veto if the bill never even gets to the Senate
source.gif

LinktothePastGOAT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of you who are even entertaining the OP's question should seriously take a look in the mirror. Like really. Common sense please. It's lasted 30 days. There not even a cbance it will last until next year. Stop with entertaining the extreme hysteria

GodofWine

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The lady who watches my kids after school will be bankrupt

She is a stay at home parent, he husband an ATF agent..she just got diagnosed with breast cancer, they are already in a race against that, but they are also in a race against their benefits not being funded.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm pretty sure the reason McConnell won't bring it to the Senate to vote is because there's a chance (even if it's small) that there could be enough support to override the veto and that outcome is terrifying to him.

The Senate can't override the veto if the bill never even gets to the Senate
source.gif

The senate republicans can bypass him. They will, eventually.