Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Great game, but they stretched the shit out of it with fetch quests and fighting the same boss 3 or 4 times.. Would really like to replay it someday otherwise

Billy Palmer

Nov 4, 2017
London
Poor pacing, repetitive, too long, inconsistent quality - especially compared to other 3d zeldas.

BUT...
-A few outstanding dungeons (ie ancient cistern, sandship)
-Some really interesting ideas for mechanics (time crystals, moving the final dungeon around on a grid!)
-Pretty solid story
-An overall very pleasing painterly aesthetic (although I do feel the design of SS is pretty confused at points, like surely Tentalus and Demise don't belong in the same game?!)

OVERALL:
SS is definitely a transitional title. Its clearly the team's first attempt at trying to rethink zelda. Moving away from stuff like a midi soundtrack and the dungeon-overworld formula was a good start for modernising Zelda.
Unfortunately the game's overall quality control is pretty poor. You can tell development did not go smoothly on this one. Most sadly of all, SS hasn't stood the test of time as a title that fans are keen to revisit.

I can't be bothered to discuss the motion controls. The end.

Oct 28, 2017
Genuinely, genuinely disliked it.

When I started I felt like I might be into it, but about half way thru I realized I was forcing myself to like it because, well..."Zelda". This vs. say, BotW or ALBW which my fondness for grew throughout.

It's the endgame of linear Zelda design, the motion controls work fine I guess, but I them found unpleasant, and the hub world (sky) is so barren, and feels that way, that it might as well be a map you just choose locations on.

Good riddance.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
That may have been your problem. You have to get used to the controls first, then it's perfectly fine. It's not something you can pick up and expect to handle on the spot. Motion controls take training since there so completely different from the standard thing.

(I have been trying to formulate myself here but I am worried that it makes me seem combative or patronizing. If this reads like that, it is not my intention)

I can deal with many different ways of controlling something. Mouse/keyboard or gamepad inverted or normalt, does not matter. I even used a Novint falcon on one occasion. Playing Wii sports or shooters with motion controls is also completely acceptable to me.

Skyward Sword is by all accounts a completely conventional action/adventure game that has controls that make playing it a chore. I am sure it is possible to get used to it, but that isn't an argument in the game's favor. The same game with immediately intuitive controls would be much better by default.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
It's got the best narrative out of the entire Zelda franchise, but the motion controls were a pain to use and it was an overly long bloated mess. Still, I enjoyed it.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It will stand out in gaming history as a fully fledged action adventure title with motion controls, for better or for worse.

I was around 12 - 13 when the prerelease hype for Skyward Sword began, that was when I joined NeoGAF and delved into the hype and speculation. It was fun times. I remember softmodding my Wii so I could play the E3 demo disc. For that reason, the game holds a soft spot in my heart.

I'll probably replay it with Gecko codes to disable Fi's notifications so I could give the rest of the game a better chance, it has some standout setpieces for the Zelda series. Bosses like Koloktos are amazing, the Sand Sea, the dungeons, the entirety of Lanayru desert... were all great. The padding is so atrocious though, and although the art style complements the environmental design well, I think BotW does SS's artstyle better (besides the impressionist backgrounds, those were cleverly implemented).

Motion controls should've only been the weapons - everything else should've had a button substitute. I actually find KingK's retrospective to be right on the money with my beliefs:

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
The motion controls took away almost all of the enjoyment out of the game, and then the mechanic of flying around finished it off. If they would remaster it and adjust the control scheme I would probably enjoy the game. It's not my least favourite 3d Zelda title, but it's certainly down there

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Apparently there isn't one.

The motion controls by nature don't work all the time. And because now the combat is reduced to "swing your sword in a certain direction" it kinda takes all the fun out of it and the only fun times the motion controls actually add to the combat is a handful of boss fights.

I'd put it in my bottom tier of Zelda games. Just above Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass but below Zelda 2.

OP
OP
MAX PAYMENT

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Okay, so I've messed around more with how I use the motion controls as I play. Using more deliberate, wrist-only movements has helped with motion control accuracy. But still its maybe 80% accurate at best and 20% of the time I wondering why he swung that way.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
It's an incredibly frustrating game, and it's infuriating because it does so much right.

The combat and the motion controls are actually really good in my opinion, despite the bad rap they get around here. Combat is engaging, Link controls very well, the items all make use of the motion controls and it's honestly great fun.

The story is easily the most captivating of all the 3D Zeldas. There's a lot of lore worldbuilding and many of the series' staple characters are shown to have an origins story. Zelda is a wonderful character in this, vibrant and full of personality, a vastly superior character to the BotW Zelda.

The locations in the game and the dungeons are both excellent, easily some of the best in the series. I actually really loved Skyloft and all the islands that would pop up as you progress, and the quests were charming as hell and great fun. The soundtrack is full of earworms and is fully orchestrated for the first time.

And yet...

Lots of minor things ultimately piled up and ruined the whole experience for me.

Fi is the worst thing in the game by far - she'll interrupt whatever you're doing to tell you that your remote is running low on batteries, relay entire essays to you about obvious things that don't need any explanation, and is about as interesting as dry paint. There is nothing redeeming about Fi.

The pacing is HORRENDOUS in this game. You're sent back to those 3 areas you just cleared midway through, and you have to fight the same bosses over and over again to progress and it's tiring and demotivating. This can be tolerable on your first playthrough, but I'm not even considering replaying this when I have to go through all that again. The tutorial at the beginning alone takes over 20 minutes to complete.

The areas outside the dungeons themselves, while pretty, are so linear and frustrating to navigate. Lanayru in particular is a chore to get through because of the timeshift stone mechanic - people tend to love it, but I think it only looks cool and the novelty wears off around the 5th time you are confronted with it. Don't even get me started on the Spirit Realm parts.

And ultimately, Link is beyond dull, and there's sadly no way to customize him beyond equipment upgrades.

So while this game does a lot of things right, and I personally love the artstyle and the presentation as a whole, all these baffling choices made by Nintendo make it suck for me and I find it really difficult to recommend this game to anyone. But hey, maybe I'm being too harsh here.
I'm really wondering how this would play in Dolphin at 4K with the motion controls warped to say a DS4. Hey at least no battery warnings if you are wired?

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Couod a switch joycon work for a rerelease of this game?
The Joycon should work perfectly actually, considering SS doesn't make use of the Wii Remote's IR pointer feature and instead uses the gyroscope for "pointing"/aiming. Honestly, a remaster of SS should be inevitable at this point. The game didn't sell that well on the Wii, so I think Nintendo will jump at the opportunity of breathing new life into it.

OP
OP
MAX PAYMENT

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Joycon should work perfectly actually, considering SS doesn't make use of the Wii Remote's IR pointer feature and instead uses the gyroscope for "pointing"/aiming. Honestly, a remaster of SS should be inevitable at this point. The game didn't sell that well on the Wii, so I think Nintendo will jump at the opportunity of breathing new life into it.
It used the sensor bar to realign the cursor. But I guess you could get away without one with a dedicated percenter button.

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
I've actually just started playing this for the first time recently. I've finished the first dungeon so far.

I'm pretty sure I would like this game if it didn't force motion controls in so many unnecessary ways. Obviously I have a lot more to play, but so far it's pretty unremarkable aside from being annoying to play.

Skyward Sword is not a bad game. However it frustrates me in a special way that a bad game usually can't. Skyward Sword was very close to being a top tier Zelda games, but it's inundated with ridiculous and head scratching design decisions that shouldn't have happened given the pedigree of the staff that worked on it.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
The consensus is that it is the worst 3D Zelda. I disagree, though. In terms of characters, dungeons, some challenges, it may well be my favorite. Its flaws are large and quite obvious, though, so I'm hoping for a remaster that fixes them.