• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Skyward sword, 25th anniversary zelda, the last game before the radical departure that was breath of the wild.

The game had some interesting motion controls that will probably never be revisited. What did you all think of it?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A game with cool characters, a cool story, and a cool setting but a very bland overworld and dungeons and janky motion controls that largely sour the experience and render it forgettable.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
a very good game
if the consensus is the most popular opinion, that's probably it

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The motion controls are actually fine. Its all the handholdy, backtracky, unnecessarily bloaty bullshit I can't stand. It suffers from that Nintendo Wii era mentality we all hated. And it really sucks because I really like all the other stuff in the game. I just can't reaplay it to enjoy the good parts becausae well, then I would have to get through the really bad stuff.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed it and think the hate is waaaaay overblown. Absolutely beautiful too.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a one-off Zelda experience, I appreciate it.

I'm glad the series didn't stick with this format though.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Excellent game that was a radical departure from the formula. Easily the best Zelda character in the franchise.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
It's absolutely incredible once you get used to the motion controls. (except Fi, she never stops being annoying)

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
As a big Zelda fan, it pains me to say it but it's such a forgettable game.

goddamnimglam

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like they got too in their heads a lot of the time. My personal favorite parts were the stealth parts, loved the story but the world itself feels ass backwards. And it suffers from the post Wind Waker spell of 3D Zeldas having an epic looking but ass easy final boss. I do love many parts of it, especially the Ancient Cistern temple, but it feels like the game gets in its own way more often than not.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
The overall reception to Skyward Sword is somewhat mixed.

My take is that the game is fun enough on a first playthrough, with some nice puzzles and a few good dungeons, but it's got a lot of problems. It's not a bad game but it's the worst 3D Zelda.

I will say though that the motion controls are not nearly as bad as some people have said. Like 95% of the time I had no issue with them, the game's problems lie more with an atrocious overworld, poor enemy variety, excessive handholding, and other things.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Good game that is (unfortunately) built around a much maligned control scheme.

It is quite fun, and I'd like to see it ported some day, but I doubt we will ever see a version without motion controls.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
The impression I've always had is that the consensus is that Skyward Sword is a very good game. The disagreements are mainly how good it is relative to other Zelda games (The correct answer being that it's one of the best ones).

Oct 25, 2017
It's still a good game but not what people wanted out of the franchise.
Sequelitis did a number on it, but I think people would be fond of it with a remaster that fixes some of its issues

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely has some haters, but I think the majority liked it. For me personally, while it wasn't my favorite Zelda game I liked what it did a lot. It didn't take me long to get used to the controls.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Easily the worst overall design of a Zelda game.

But also has some of the best dungeon designs.

It's a mixed game with high highs but far too many low lows.

Oct 27, 2017
My least liked Zelda on a console. The controls were gimmicky and the graphics were dated at the time of release with made it worse coming from windwaker.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely fucking hated it. The waggle gimmick wore thin before you even got out of the eternally long tutorial zone at the beginning. The graphics were great though. Nintendo really found some interesting ways to work around the weaknesses of the Wii. I would play it again with normal controls.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very good game in a series where greatness is the expectation. It has some more obvious and agreed upon flaws than probably any other game in the series, which is why it probably has the worst reputation of the 3D games, but I personally think it has some of the best highs as well that go underrated. I'm not saying it's perfect by any means, but it's far from my last favorite in the series, even among the 3D games.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dungeons sucked. The controls sucked. There were only like three dungeon aesthetics repeated across seven dungeons. The music wasn't even that great. The overworld sucked. The story was barely there. The Imprisoned sucked. The mandatory stealth fetch-quest bullshit sucked. Tadtones nearly made me rage-quit the game out of sheer boredom. No one would forgive this game if it didn't have the Zelda branding. It's a 6/10 at best. The Metacritic score is an insult. It's not "bad for a Zelda game", it's just bad, period.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible use of motion controls and poor tech. Desync, desync, desync.

No wonder they added a resync button as a main button for the game. It needed it.

Replacing IR aiming like TP used with the crappy guiding system using motion was stupid.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
It's an outstanding game, but not without its flaws. The critics largely got it right with the GOTY and 10/10s it received in its release year as the core of the game, the dungeons, were really generation leading content. Easily some of the best puzzles and theming the Zelda series has to offer.

It's weird, for the most part, Breath of the Wild's weaknesses are Skyward Sword's strengths. Except for combat.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Incredible game. The controls were great and worked well for me. Loved how dungeons evolved over time.

A little on the long side but at least it wasn't nearly as repetitive as BotW was and had proper progression and dungeons.

Oct 25, 2017
Fi is grating when it comes to staring the obvious.
The game pads itself.
The game is very handholdy.
No nightime on the ground sucks.

Story is good.
A few of the best dungeons of the series.
Motion controls are fine.

Good game, good amount to still criticize.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great game. Just a shame we got such good motion controls at the end of the Wii.

Imagine if we had stuff like that from the start in Twilight Princess rather than just waggling the wiimote.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The motion controls were fine outside of a couple bosses.
Some of the repetition in story/plot was bad.
I wish there was more connectivity between the different surface areas

But mostly, at the time, I was feeling it more than TP. That water/urn dungeon was the shit.

Laurel_McFang

Feb 17, 2019
It was weirdly the must inventive of the Zeldas I felt, hope it gets a joy-con re-issue with a full cardboard master sword, but felt boxed in and set piece like and less like the open world of the other Zeldas. Loved everything else about it and would gladly replay it. Motion Controls were janky for me and took a lot of getting used to, but felt the creativity of the dungeon design and the small enclosed set pieces propped it along. Sad that this will not get a remaster with some like the lighthouse system that comes with the Vive.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
While I feel like a lot of the criticisms are hyperbolic (especially the ones about the motion controls), I will add to my previous post that the intro section of the game was entirely too long, tutorials are annoying, and Fi is obnoxious af (I said that already but it needed repeating). The puzzles and dungeons were fantastic.
Especially in the desert when you have the time travel stone things, I absolutely loved that whole section

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
There is none. It's probably the most polarizing 3d Zelda game on a console. Like half the people hate it mostly because they never got used to the controls and probably haven't played any motion control games on Wii outside Wii sports, and the other half like it

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I want to see post-BOTW Nintendo's re-release of Skyward Sword. If they tone down Fi it would be much better.

I'd also love additional content in the sky.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the Joystiq (RIP) review of the game summed up Skyward Sword best when they described it as the best in the series buried underneath a bunch of annoying problems. It has some of the highest highs of the franchise with some of the lowest lows. I think it's the Zelda game that could benefit the most from a remaster to smooth out its problems but its motion controls make it difficult for it to do so.

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
I Really REALLY like, but the for those that hate it a lot it creates such vitriol that I just don't feel its worth the trouble to talk about it much. I don't feel any real conversation will ever get beyond having to justify liking it to those that hate it.