• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the third most influential fighting game series?

• King of Fighters

Votes: 93 7.2%
  • Mortal Kombat

Votes: 676 52.2%
  • Darkstalkers/Vampire

Votes: 52 4.0%
  • Super Smash Bros.

Votes: 427 33.0%
  • Power Stone

Votes: 8 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 38 2.9%

• Total voters

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
I went into my arcade 2-3 times a week in the prime days for fighting games 92-97, and I'm telling you based on crowds around machines. MK1 -MK3 garnered crowds and rows of "next game" tokens at the base of the monitor, even updates would draw attention. I'm not talking a few people spectatating around the machine, im talking dozens of people looking and cheering, where in the mall arcade the crowd would sometime fliw out into the main mall.

Not for just MK1, not for the "ESRB" or gore, because it was MK. Street Fighter 2 would be the same. Not once did I ever see a crowd of more than a few people to see a match of any other game.Largest would be Tekken when new characters unlocked. This ludacris narrative that MK isn't that influential is laughable.
That's popularity. Nobody is saying MK isn't one of the most popular fighters ever. The thread was clearly about the genre itself. The series just hasn't brought much in terms of mechanics to the genre that a bunch of franchises use.

It's not a knock on the franchise. MK was the main fighting game series I played when I was a kid I get it. Some games fundamentally change the core design of fighting games forever though. I could say MK did that via the cinematic story mode, but that's really the only thing I could point to and not every fighting game does that mode.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went into my arcade 2-3 times a week in the prime days for fighting games 92-97, and I'm telling you based on crowds around machines. MK1 -MK3 garnered crowds and rows of "next game" tokens at the base of the monitor, even updates would draw attention. I'm not talking a few people spectatating around the machine, im talking dozens of people looking and cheering, where in the mall arcade the crowd would sometime fliw out into the main mall.

Not for just MK1, not for the "ESRB" or gore, because it was MK. Street Fighter 2 would be the same. Not once did I ever see a crowd of more than a few people to see a match of any other game.Largest would be Tekken when new characters unlocked. This ludacris narrative that MK isn't that influential is laughable.

You've just described that it was popular.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
The bolded wasn't really as big of an impact for the franchises included. While Smash did help get Fire Emblem localized in the first place, the series was still on the brink of death before Awakening. Likewise, the likes of Dragon Quest & KoF didn't see a noticeable boost from the inclusions of Hero & Terry respectively in Smash.

Dragon Quest Hero was added because, as far as I know, Nintendo was once the publisher of "Dragon Quest XI:S" and they wanted to promote the game.

Terry was more like Sakurai saying "Fuck this shit, I'm the director of this game, and at least once I want to put a character by myself" type of decision. I don't know, but if King of Fighter XV was released for Switch on that time, maybe the game would meet some success on the platform. At least it gave the chance of people playing "Garou: Mark of the Wolves", even if it's the ACA Neo Geo version without online.

On topic, fighting games on my mind always followed this rank:

Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Tekken
King of Fighters' family (Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Samurai Showdown)
Virtua Fighter
Capcom derivated games (Marvel games, Rival Schools, and Darkstalkers)
The rest.

Smash is always the "joker of all trades", because there are people which thinks it's a fighting game, others a party game and even others that claim they are a different genre, the so-called "brawling" game or "fighting platform". I don't know what to think, apart from it's impossible to be indifferent of their success.

Last edited:

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Smash has only inspired mediocre clones so far; the correct answer to this question is King of Fighters.
It's not just the genre when I think of Smash, it's mainly the accessibility that other games have taken it's cue from.

Yes SF already tried easy inputs with Capcom Vs Snk 2 EO, but they're literally aping the same method as Smash in regard to SF6. It's clearly the influence from having their characters as guests in Ultimate.

NekoCat

May 6, 2022
New York
On topic, fighting games on my mind always followed this rank:

Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Tekken
King of Fighters' family (Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Samurai Showdown)
Virtua Fighter
Capcom derivated games (Marvel games, Rival Schools, and Darkstalkers)
The rest.

I'd say that Soulcalibur would be somewhere above "the rest," even if it's not as popular as it once was.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Smash created an entire sub genre. It's definitely a strong 4th most influential fighting game franchise. The fact the clones are actually good is impressive by itself,the entire foundation is rock solid, pretty much impossible to miss.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Easily Mortal Kombat. In fact despite Virtua Fighter being my favorite fighting series of all time I'd have to put it at #3 after SF and MK. MK inspired LEGIONS of copycats.

Smash created an entire sub genre. It's definitely a strong 4th most influential fighting game franchise. The fact the clones are actually good is impressive by itself,the entire foundation is rock solid, pretty much impossible to miss.

It popularized it. The Outfoxies created it. I would agree Smash slots in at #4 most influential regardless.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
gonna actually go with Smash on this one. Smash quite literally made platform based fighters a thing and popularized a sub-genre within FGC

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Edit: will change to Darkstalker, it pretty much started what we now know as anime fighting games.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think Smash takes it over Mortal Kombat just because at this point it has spawned its own fairly popular sub-genre.
There aren't really many successful Mortal Kombat clones out there with the same sort of game template.
I guess the most successful game to take aspects directly from MK would be Killer Instinct?

As others have said, I also think you have to account for the fact that Smash is popular the world over unlike MK which has regions where it doesn't even see official releases(Japan).

I am always beating this drum, but I still find it sad that the one series that has indisputably dominated the arcade fighting game scene in Japan for over 20 years (Gundam VS.) has never hit critical mass overseas.

While I am not sure if it can be said to have originated the 2v2 arena battle format as I believe Power Stone 2 probably gets that honor, it is definitely the most popular by a large margin. (there was a 2v2 Virtual On game in arcades around the same period but I am not sure which one predates which)
I think if it had more exposure in regions outside of Japan/Asia, you would see a lot of companies pushing out similar games in the sub-genre, but instead we mostly just see 1v1 arena fighters that aren't as suited to the competitive scene.

Just like Smash it managed to carve out a very popular sub-genre for itself, but the lack of exposure outside Asia means it hasn't really inspired any clones or similar games.
The only notable one I can think of is the ill-fated Rise of the Imperfects also from Bandai Namco.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Easily Mortal Kombat. Easily.

And not even in a 'games clearly took xyz from Mortal Kombat' but more of a 'game was so big in the 90s that it straight up inspired the fighting game genre full stop'. I don't think fighters would have evolved at the rate they did or been as popular if it wasn't for Mortal Kombat 1/2/3 being the absolute juggernauts that they were and being hand in hand with Street Fighter in introducing basically every 80s/90s kid to fighters in the West.

I will say that there's a massive regional bias aspect to this question though. I know folks from Hong Kong who grew up playing KOF in the arcades and, even 'non gamers' who know every single KOF character and their moves. Meanwhile they're not really familiar with SF or MK. Same with a lot of Latin America from what I understand.

From my UK background though, easily SF and MK.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Afaik Children of the Atom and later X-Men vs SF created the "floaty ridiculous high jumps + super spam" genre.

Or was there anything like that before?

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
MK maybe its influential but:
- Just one of the clones survived... and it was KI
- They did set one way to do story mode...that few tried to replicate but most are still doing their own thing like VN or something new (SF6)

Meanwhile there are still new smash clones trying their luck and the last time someone tried a MK clone was Death Cargo or something on pc that they revamped as a beat n up.

Its was more influential in the 90s but still more visible than MK influence but KOF did make a lot of games implement a "Team Battle mode" but unfortunately I think the last games that tried it were GGAC+R and USFIV?

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Afaik Children of the Atom and later X-Men vs SF created the "floaty ridiculous high jumps + super spam" genre.

Or was there anything like that before?

COTA and XvSF were building off of Darkstalkers. The air mobility and the screen filling supers begin there.

I am always beating this drum, but I still find it sad that the one series that has indisputably dominated the arcade fighting game scene in Japan for over 20 years (Gundam VS.) has never hit critical mass overseas.

While I am not sure if it can be said to have originated the 2v2 arena battle format as I believe Power Stone 2 probably gets that honor, it is definitely the most popular by a large margin. (there was a 2v2 Virtual On game in arcades around the same period but I am not sure which one predates which)
I think if it had more exposure in regions outside of Japan/Asia, you would see a lot of companies pushing out similar games in the sub-genre, but instead we mostly just see 1v1 arena fighters that aren't as suited to the competitive scene.

I think Gundam Vs. belongs in the discussion, especially if it's contending with Power Stone and the like for the most influential arena fighter.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Not to downplay Mortal Kombat sort of leading to the creation of the ESRB but... Did that really effect the genre? Like most fighting games were made in Japan and... CERO was founded until after the ESRB and far as I can tell does not exist due to the ESRB.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Not to downplay Mortal Kombat sort of leading to the creation of the ESRB but... Did that really effect the genre? Like most fighting games were made in Japan and... CERO was founded until after the ESRB and far as I can tell does not exist due to the ESRB.

Like VF's impact on 3D games, I don't think we can look at MK's influence in a vacuum. MK's edginess changed video games in general, but it certainly had an (at least indirect) impact on fighting games from Samurai Shodown to For Honor.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
What did Darkstalkers create?

Not being facetious; I've honestly never played the games but would love to hear about these mechanics they introduced to the genre.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I pick KoF not because I'm biased and that its my only fighting game. KoF mechanics were something else and the other stuff they introduced in fighting were big influence to other companies

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
What did Darkstalkers create?

Not being facetious; I've honestly never played the games but would love to hear about these mechanics they introduced to the genre.

Magic series chain combos
Air dashes
EX moves
Alpha Counters
Push Blocks
other shit I'm probably forgetting

All games that play like Guilty Gear or Marvel owe debts to Darkstalkers. Recently that includes games like GG Strive, DNF Duel, DBFZ, MvC:I, Them's Fightin Herds, Skullgirls. And will likely include Project L to a degree too.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Easily Mortal Kombat. In fact despite Virtua Fighter being my favorite fighting series of all time I'd have to put it at #3 after SF and MK. MK inspired LEGIONS of copycats.

It popularized it. The Outfoxies created it. I would agree Smash slots in at #4 most influential regardless.

The Outfoxies and Smash are not all that similar. There's certainly an argument that Outfoxies in the first platform fighter, but it has about as much bearing on future fighting games as Heavyweight Champ does. 2D fighters were codified with SF2, and platform fighters were codified with Smash Bros. Pound for Pound I'd guess there are also probably more Smash Bros derived games than MK at this point in total, and that's nothing to say that there are clearly more actively at the moment.

Oct 28, 2017
You ask the majority of devs who do anything fighting game inspired or fighting game in general and they'll have some love for a KOF or Fatal Fury game.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Beyond the other stuff mentioned "Mortal Monday" was basically the first big modern AAA game launch in the US with a huge marketing campaign pushing a specific release date.

Nah. This is effectively a direct copy of "Sonic Twosday" (which was also a way catchier name for the day) from a year before. I'm not sure if there's others that predate Sonic 2, but Mortal Kombat is 100% not the first of its kind for this.

Being completely real, Power Stone had no business getting a spot on the poll. If you were looking to nominate a game for spawning the arena fighter subgenre, that game would be Virtual On. Doesn't matter if we're talking Gundam Vs, Dissidia, or all the Naruto, DBZ, etc anime arena fighters... every arena fighter where you play facing forwards Z-locked to your opponent, is derived from Virtual On. There are very few fighters comparatively that adopt a Power Stone / Ergheiz / Bushido Blade style system.

Virtual On is one of the most criminally under-credited IP in gaming considering what it established all the way back in 1996.

I'm gonna go on a bit of a Virtua Fighter tangent here, because I'm seeing a lot of downplaying of Virtua Fighter in here, and I'm kinda not having it lol

I mean, Virtual Fighter for all purpose has been a dead franchise for 20 years.

If Doom 2016 weren't released, that wouldn't make any claims that Doom wasn't super-influential to the FPS genre any less ridiculous. Over time genres go from infancy to maturity. A mature genre has far less left to influence. Mortal Kombat is no doubt a very influential fighter, but it was born into a semi-mature landscape of the 2D fighter, where much of what we have today had already been established by Street Fighter. Virtua Fighter was born into a landscape where effectively nothing had yet been established, and it established the vast majority of what a 3D fighter STILL is to this day. Much of it in its very first attempt (a far more competent achievement than the first Street Fighter, despite having less prior examples to work off).

You argue as if 3D fighting games wouldn't exist if VF didn't make the first one. They would, how they would be today is impossible to know and a waste of time to argue. Ed Boon and his team certainly didn't use Virtua Fighter as a base to develop most of their games, if you believe that I don't even know what to think of you.

The fact is, MK exists today and influences games today. Since you like the "it wouldn't exist if..." argument so much, let me tell you something, SFVI, the single most anticipated fighting game to come out wouldn't be what it is without MK influence on the importance of single player content.

Again, I do not wish to be dismissive about VF importance to fighting games. It was a pioneer, a fantastic blueprint to a dozen of way better 3D fighting games that happened to be what people look up to when they need to get inspiration nowadays.

Ok. So for the highlighted text above...

No... this isn't how being influential works. You don't just get to say "3D fighters would've happened regardless" to dismiss a game's influence. You could make such ridiculously dismissive arguments about any aspect of any game, and that would include anything you'd credit Mortal Kombat for introducing. Mortal Kombat is hugely popular, but within the fighting game genre the fact that it itself is based on Street Fighter, and Street Fighter still to this day remains the most influential 2D fighter in existence, means Mortal Kombat quite frankly doesn't have enough oxygen left in the room to be as influential to the genre, unless it were able to de-establish much of what Street Fighter had ingrained into the genre. Additional modes, and story presentation are definitely worthy of praise.. but when talking genre influence, stuff like that sits well below fundamental mechanics that establish how a game itself plays. Street Fighter is the undisputed king when it comes to establishing the legacy of how a 2D fighter plays. There is a very clear pre/post line for before and after Street Fighter (especially Street Fighter 2). For 3D, Virtua Fighter is that game.. and here's why:

I actually don't disagree with you that a 3D polygonal fighter was going go happen sooner rather than later regardless of if Virtua Fighter existed or not. But that's unimportant, because being a fighter with 3D graphics never automatically would have meant being a fighter with any similarity to Virtua Fighter. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, King of Fighters, Marvel vs Capcom, etc... all of these are now using 3D graphics, but they are still classed as being 2D fighters despite that. Why is that?... It's because their gameplay mechanics are still derived directly from Street Fighter's 2D heritage, just with a 3D presentation layer on top. And that is actually the safest, most logical progression for what an early 3D fighting game would be back in 1993 at the height of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat's popularity. But what we refer to as 3D fighters today DON'T look or play anything like that. They look and play like Virtua Fighter, because rather than just be a traditional fighting game of the time, but this time with 3D polygons, Virtua Fighter instead redefined what it meant to be a fighting game entirely, along with bringing 3D graphics to the table.

The number of mechanics Virtua Fighter lays claim to is basically impossible to list out, because it started from ground zero and established pretty much all of them. The new ground game that is standard to 3D fighters, with rising kicks, ground pounds, rolls, etc... none of this was part of the established fighting game template prior. The move away from "special moves" and jump ins, to instead have an entire command list of moves that were considered hierarchically even and situational to create a fully developed ground game. Your physical position in the arena carrying more weight beyond the old "trapped in the corner", with stuff like ring out potentially costing you a round regardless of current health. Feigning an attack by cancelling it after it's initiation. Strings executing regardless of if contact is made with the opponent or if you're just whiffing the entire string. String mixups where the command list is full of strings with branching paths. Running based on distance from opponent (as opposed to just forward and back dashes). Back facing attacks (and a turn around game in general). Throws being height specific. End of round replays from different angles.

If I were to sit here for longer I'd probably just continue coming up with stuff that's considered entirely standard today in a 3D fighter, that cannot be automatically assumed would have been the case regardless if a team with less creative vision had instead made "Street Fighter 2 but in 3D" and become a worldwide phenomenon with that game instead. Virtua Fighter influences EVERY game in the 3D fighter subgenre, because it literally created that subgenre and all the base rules it operates on. And unlike something like Karate Champ, it did it with such incredible competency right out of the gate, that the blueprint didn't need to be significantly redefined by any other game afterwards. But you know... that's not even where it's influence ends. We can also look at some of the more miscellaneous aspects of the genre that it impacted in ways we accept as standard today.

- You know how in 2D fighters, when you pick the same character, and the 2nd player is a palette swapped version of the 1st player? Yea... well Virtua Fighter didn't do that. It gave the 2nd player a different outfit entirely. Thus bringing alternate outfits to fighters

- Virtua Fighter 4 introduced the card system and VF.Net, which basically introduced everything we accept as the standard for fighters in todays online landscape... including:

- Character customisations. Taking alternate costumes a step further, you could now win items to decorate and personalise your character with

- Ranking battle and titles. Ranks, promotion matches, etc... yup, this is where they're from... EVEN IN THE SINGLEPLAYER QUEST MODE... So yea, singleplayer content indeed

- In depth training mode. Not just a mode where you beat up a dummy whilst checking your command list. A real training mode, that covers the various gameplay mechanics from a beginner to intermediate level, with trials and such.

Each Virtua Fighter innovated the genre in ways that many other 3D fighters would learn from. VF2 with its unique throw escape animations for every breakable throw and the addition of secondary "kata" intros. Virtua Fighter 3 for realistic fully 3D arenas and a dedicated dodge mechanic (later refined to more resemble Tekken's take on it). But Virtua Fighter 4... Virtua Fighter 4 with VF.Net established basically everything online fighters now do as standard. So yes, Virtua Fighter is still influencing games today. It's impossible for it not to, because to be a 3D fighter and not be influenced by Virtua Fighter is like being a 3D action game without being influenced by Ocarina of Time. It's basically not possible.

Now I don't wanna read any more Virtua Fighter disrespect in this thread. Thank you for your time.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Mortal Kombat didn't influence much" reads to me a lot like "Sonic might have been relevant in the nineties but"
Not really. Those are two separate implications. No one can deny that Mortal Kombat is a pillar of the genre, groundbreaking, etc. But influence implies that other games following it were inspired by or came as a result of the precedent MK initiated. I can't think of many ways in which MK expanded the genre of games following it.

The only aspect that comes close is story modes in fighting games, but it feels weird giving that credit all to MK.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017

No... this isn't how being influential works. You don't just get to say "3D fighters would've happened regardless" to dismiss a game's influence. You could make such ridiculously dismissive arguments about any aspect of any game, and that would include anything you'd credit Mortal Kombat for introducing. Mortal Kombat is hugely popular, but within the fighting game genre the fact that it itself is based on Street Fighter, and Street Fighter still to this day remains the most influential 2D fighter in existence, means Mortal Kombat quite frankly doesn't have enough oxygen left in the room to be as influential to the genre, unless it were able to de-establish much of what Street Fighter had ingrained into the genre. Additional modes, and story presentation are definitely worthy of praise.. but when talking genre influence, stuff like that sits well below fundamental mechanics that establish how a game itself plays. Street Fighter is the undisputed king when it comes to establishing the legacy of how a 2D fighter plays. There is a very clear pre/post line for before and after Street Fighter (especially Street Fighter 2). For 3D, Virtua Fighter is that game.. and here's why:

I actually don't disagree with you that a 3D polygonal fighter was going go happen sooner rather than later regardless of if Virtua Fighter existed or not. But that's unimportant, because being a fighter with 3D graphics never automatically would have meant being a fighter with any similarity to Virtua Fighter. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, King of Fighters, Marvel vs Capcom, etc... all of these are now using 3D graphics, but they are still classed as being 2D fighters despite that. Why is that?... It's because their gameplay mechanics are still derived directly from Street Fighter's 2D heritage, just with a 3D presentation layer on top. And that is actually the safest, most logical progression for what an early 3D fighting game would be back in 1993 at the height of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat's popularity. But what we refer to as 3D fighters today DON'T look or play anything like that. They look and play like Virtua Fighter, because rather than just be a traditional fighting game of the time, but this time with 3D polygons, Virtua Fighter instead redefined what it meant to be a fighting game entirely, along with bringing 3D graphics to the table.

The number of mechanics Virtua Fighter lays claim to is basically impossible to list out, because it started from ground zero and established pretty much all of them. The new ground game that is standard to 3D fighters, with rising kicks, ground pounds, rolls, etc... none of this was part of the established fighting game template prior. The move away from "special moves" and jump ins, to instead have an entire command list of moves that were considered hierarchically even and situational to create a fully developed ground game. Your physical position in the arena carrying more weight beyond the old "trapped in the corner", with stuff like ring out potentially costing you a round regardless of current health. Feigning an attack by cancelling it after it's initiation. Strings executing regardless of if contact is made with the opponent or if you're just whiffing the entire string. String mixups where the command list is full of strings with branching paths. Running based on distance from opponent (as opposed to just forward and back dashes). Back facing attacks (and a turn around game in general). Throws being height specific. End of round replays from different angles.

If I were to sit here for longer I'd probably just continue coming up with stuff that's considered entirely standard today in a 3D fighter, that cannot be automatically assumed would have been the case regardless if a team with less creative vision had instead made "Street Fighter 2 but in 3D" and become a worldwide phenomenon with that game instead. Virtua Fighter influences EVERY game in the 3D fighter subgenre, because it literally created that subgenre and all the base rules it operates on. And unlike something like Karate Champ, it did it with such incredible competency right out of the gate, that the blueprint didn't need to be significantly redefined by any other game afterwards. But you know... that's not even where it's influence ends. We can also look at some of the more miscellaneous aspects of the genre that it impacted in ways we accept as standard today.

- You know how in 2D fighters, when you pick the same character, and the 2nd player is a palette swapped version of the 1st player? Yea... well Virtua Fighter didn't do that. It gave the 2nd player a different outfit entirely. Thus bringing alternate outfits to fighters

- Virtua Fighter 4 introduced the card system and VF.Net, which basically introduced everything we accept as the standard for fighters in todays online landscape... including:

- Character customisations. Taking alternate costumes a step further, you could now win items to decorate and personalise your character with

- Ranking battle and titles. Ranks, promotion matches, etc... yup, this is where they're from... EVEN IN THE SINGLEPLAYER QUEST MODE... So yea, singleplayer content indeed

- In depth training mode. Not just a mode where you beat up a dummy whilst checking your command list. A real training mode, that covers the various gameplay mechanics from a beginner to intermediate level, with trials and such.

Each Virtua Fighter innovated the genre in ways that many other 3D fighters would learn from. VF2 with its unique throw escape animations for every breakable throw and the addition of secondary "kata" intros. Virtua Fighter 3 for realistic fully 3D arenas and a dedicated dodge mechanic (later refined to more resemble Tekken's take on it). But Virtua Fighter 4... Virtua Fighter 4 with VF.Net established basically everything online fighters now do as standard. So yes, Virtua Fighter is still influencing games today. It's impossible for it not to, because to be a 3D fighter and not be influenced by Virtua Fighter is like being a 3D action game without being influenced by Ocarina of Time. It's basically not possible.

Now I don't wanna read any more Virtua Fighter disrespect in this thread. Thank you for your time.
Mic drop of a post, damn.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017

This is a brilliant post, and an absolute takedown. I'd like for us not to take game syntaxes for granted, ever. To have a fatalist approach to how games evolve -- "well games would have gone 3D anyway" or "there was a trend towards online gaming anyway" to dismiss the way a certain game or franchise or process shaped that evolution is to believe games aren't made by people. The technology dictates how games will be without any input from people who create on what they have.

It isn't actually granted that we would use polygons and have 3D games today just the way we do. There had been attempts at 3D perspective before that didn't rely on them. Polygons had to be invented, yeah -- and, most importantly, how you use them to create a game too. And certain games set the standards for that by virtue of developing a syntax for games, the language that they speak and that we learn and interact with. We can't just assume that was gonna happen anyway, because it simply wouldn't. Games don't just grow out of consoles like fruit.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
can anyone confirm if Mortal Kombat 1 was the first fighting game with universal juggles? i can't think of anything earlier, not sure if the single possible juggle (as a glitch/leftover code) in SF2 counts lol.

but yeah i'm still going with SF > VF > MK. Maybe Darkstalkers at 4th.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat helped lead to the ESRB. That's a pretty huge influence on its own.

Besides that, there are countless MK rip-offs, finishers in almost every fighting game, and the expansive story mode of the more recent games.
Yeah, outside of just the fighting game genre, didn't Mortal Kombat completely reshape how people think about games and the audience that plays them? Didn't it kind of open the way to the concept of M-rated games being viable?

The Fallen

Oct 27, 2017
Tekken for me. I know that the Street Fighter franchise was responsible for making fighting games mainstream, but were there any fighting games before SF1? Pit Fighter likely influenced Mortal Kombat.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Smash made a new sub genre, but MK seems to have many more knock off versions both aesthetically and mechanically.

Tge newer MK games have pushed focus on single player too which is being seen more now in other FGs, and while this has been slowly happening for years before, they're definitely pushing the more "complete package" that seems to becoming more adopted and they definitely helped influence this.

Sorry Smash fans, but it's definitely MK.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Nah. This is effectively a direct copy of "Sonic Twosday" (which was also a way catchier name for the day) from a year before. I'm not sure if there's others that predate Sonic 2, but Mortal Kombat is 100% not the first of its kind for this.

Being completely real, Power Stone had no business getting a spot on the poll. If you were looking to nominate a game for spawning the arena fighter subgenre, that game would be Virtual On. Doesn't matter if we're talking Gundam Vs, Dissidia, or all the Naruto, DBZ, etc anime arena fighters... every arena fighter where you play facing forwards Z-locked to your opponent, is derived from Virtual On. There are very few fighters comparatively that adopt a Power Stone / Ergheiz / Bushido Blade style system.

Virtual On is one of the most criminally under-credited IP in gaming considering what it established all the way back in 1996.

I'm gonna go on a bit of a Virtua Fighter tangent here, because I'm seeing a lot of downplaying of Virtua Fighter in here, and I'm kinda not having it lol

If Doom 2016 weren't released, that wouldn't make any claims that Doom wasn't super-influential to the FPS genre any less ridiculous. Over time genres go from infancy to maturity. A mature genre has far less left to influence. Mortal Kombat is no doubt a very influential fighter, but it was born into a semi-mature landscape of the 2D fighter, where much of what we have today had already been established by Street Fighter. Virtua Fighter was born into a landscape where effectively nothing had yet been established, and it established the vast majority of what a 3D fighter STILL is to this day. Much of it in its very first attempt (a far more competent achievement than the first Street Fighter, despite having less prior examples to work off).

now that's a post

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Gonna cut off the meat of the post, but I first wanted to just chime in and say that yes, this shit is the gospel and anyone actually trying to downplay the impact of goddamn Virtua Fighter in the context of fighting games isn't even really worthy of a response.

Honestly I am tempted to even say VF deserves the top spot because AM2 literally came out of the gate with one of the greatest masterpieces ever and set standards for an entire genre. There is a lot to say for that while you can also point out that SF 2 was building on its predecessor and other contemporaries.

Almost any person who was a developer at the time when Virtua Fighter was first released can just go on and on about how absolutely unbelievable of an accomplishment that game was. A lot of focus goes on the graphical component, but it really shines in how it felt like one of the first times the actual game design was created with 3D in mind.

Regarding the arena fighters point, I also just wanted to say that I think Power Stone (particularly 2) still deserves some consideration along with Virtual On mostly because it successively expanded a fighting game style system beyond the 1v1 restriction. You can even draw a line from Smash back to the Power Stone games for that reason. And I really do think that the Gundam VS 2v2 system is one of the secrets to Japan still having a somewhat active arcade scene. It's mostly anecdotal but it feels like that series has been sustaining every arcade I visit for 2 decades now.

In a just world maybe Viruta On Force would have taken off and Sega would still be ruling the arcade scene in Japan, but after looking up exact dates it seems like Gundam VS. had the first mover advantage by several months.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
In a just world maybe Viruta On Force would have taken off and Sega would still be ruling the arcade scene in Japan, but after looking up exact dates it seems like Gundam VS. had the first mover advantage by several months.

Wasn't Virtual On Force significantly first in terms of 2v2 Gundam Vs games though? it's been so long that i don't remember which Gundam Vs. introduced the team mechanic.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Wasn't Virtual On Force significantly first in terms of 2v2 Gundam Vs games though? it's been so long that i don't remember which Gundam Vs. introduced the team mechanic.

The console ports were downscaled to be 1v1 iirc, but the very first Gundam VS game (Federation Vs. Zeon) was actually 4 player (2v2) in arcades. It has been part of the games DNA since the very beginning. I actually got to play it again in Fukuoka as that Lalaport with the (new)Nu-Gundam statue had a bunch of the old cabs included in their arcade.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Awesome post. It's always weird when people downplay VF. The landscape change before and after that game should be obvious.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The console ports were downscaled to be 1v1 iirc, but the very first Gundam VS game (Federation Vs. Zeon) was actually 4 player (2v2) in arcades. It has been part of the games DNA since the very beginning. I actually got to play it again in Fukuoka as that Lalaport with the (new)Nu-Gundam statue had a bunch of the old cabs included in their arcade.

I remember being in Japan in early 2002 and playing Feddie vs Zeon but totally don't remember it being 2 v 2. Was there also a 1v1 cab too?

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Does anybody know which teams at Capcom do the Gundam VS games? Was it the old Spawn:Demons hands/heavy metal: geomatrix teams? To me, those were kinda the first arena fighters that I can remember, within that mold, if not Powerstone (maybe the PowerStone devs did Spawn/Heavy Metal?)

I always think Virtual On kinda started the arena fighter thing, but I don't know the history of the development teams.

Last edited:

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
NeoZeedeater
You are so right about half of ERA skewing younger lol. How does one not consider Mortal Kombat number two?

OP already said number three, it's Virtua Fighter. Anything after is a little harder to dispute as a boatload of fighters came into with their own unique mechanics. Would you consider Marvel vs Capcom or KoF as the more influential fighter for multi character play. What about Soul Edge and its 3D movement system.

Smash released not too long after, but the age of arena brawler types didn't come into is own until the last decade or so.