Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
MASH's intro was enough to get me to change the channel literally every time it came on
I feel like it robbed me of what I hear is a decent TV show.

IIRC, the song is even called "Suicide is Painless" i mean wtf is that shit. What kid wants to listen to that after a long day of school.

LMAO. I had the same experience as a kid. Never watched a single episode of MASH as a result.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

Worst but in some ways also the best.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017

I'm sorry but you're all wrong. The worst is the 90s Ferris Bueller TV show. Everything about it is bad. The theme song, the animation, this Matthew Broderick wanna-be, the nonsensical way he turns text from white to yellow. The show was an abomination and should've never existed.

thus totally takes the cake if jjst for shitting on the legacy of one if the greatest movies ever like that

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
The zoomers saying M*A*S*H are slightly triggering
Yeah, I'm millennial too. Like I said, it's like a sleeping pill for anyone watching under the age of 30.

I'm sorry but you're all wrong. The worst is the 90s Ferris Bueller TV show. Everything about it is bad. The theme song, the animation, this Matthew Broderick wanna-be, the nonsensical way he turns text from white to yellow. The show was an abomination and should've never existed.

Hoooly shit. I couldn't even finish watching that, it was so horrible. Jennifer Aniston was in that show? Didn't know it existed. Looks terrible.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

holy fuck. Yeah, this takes the cake holy shit.

EDIT: Fritz Stencil holy fucking hell look at the first 60 seconds of the first episode:

motherfucker takes out a cardboard cutout of Broderick and chainsaws it because he dislike the movie "based on his life". What a fucking insult, and how embarrassing. How was the dumbass producer who thought that this was in any way a good idea.

Last edited:

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017

EDIT: Fritz Stencil holy fucking hell look at the first 60 seconds of the first episode:

motherfucker takes out a cardboard cutout of Broderick and chainsaws it because he dislike the movie "based on his life". What a fucking insult, and how embarrassing. How was the dumbass producer who thought that this was in any way a good idea.

wow, bold. What a loser.

save Ferris!

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE

Yeah that's what I never understood. You have a TV show based on a hit movie, and you immediately shit all over the movie and essentially what got people to tune in, in the first place, in your Pilot episode?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I like it. I get why fans don't, but it represents the "to boldly go" ethos of human curiosity and ingenuity better than "ship in space", "ship in space", "ship in space with asteroids", "ship in space with planet", etc ever did IMO.
The visual sequence is very good. The song is milquetoast at best.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I nominate the opening for The L Word.

The girlfriend watched this show a while back. I watched some of it with her. The show itself is kinda whatever. But its intro... holy moly. It's so, so bad. I don't get what they were going for. I'm directly refering to the weird faux stop-motion here. The content of the images themselves is fairly normal, and does represent the characters and what the show is about. But how this content is presented... man. It's just bad. The song is bad too. Sorry.

The Queer as Folk opening is far, far worse and may actually take the cake here:

They made a new one for the last two seasons that doesn't make you want to rip your ears off and actually features the characters, but it still ain't great:

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta be honest, I always loved the Teddy Ruxpin intro song. It's cheesy and unoffensive, like a lot of little kid shit from back in the day, but it still has a place in my heart. One 80s toon intro song I HATED, though, was Ulysses 31:

The song's an earsore to me, and I liked the cartoon.

This would be my pick for one of the best intros.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
The opening to Sunday and Monday night football are so cringe. Cant stand Carrie Underwoods nasal voice either.

Was way better with Faith Hill.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017

hahaha holy shit.

BUE.BUE.BUE.BUEBUEBUEBUEBUE

Also, Clarissa clearly stole this concept and made it better.

grang

Nov 13, 2017

what the fuck

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017

This person knows what's up.

Holy shit.

It's an abomination.

What's with the scale of him at the front door?

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
MASH's intro was enough to get me to change the channel literally every time it came on
I feel like it robbed me of what I hear is a decent TV show.

IIRC, the song is even called "Suicide is Painless" i mean wtf is that shit. What kid wants to listen to that after a long day of school.

Had forgotten about this but this is now my choice as well lol.

Guess I wasn't alone in always switching the channel when this rerun came on because of the terrible intro.

Heard it was great as well(longest running show at one point yada yada) but something about the intro was like nails on a chalkboard annoying. Still does. It comes off dated, a bit depressing, sleep inducing but obnoxious at the same time and lingers forever.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Had forgotten about this but this is now my choice as well lol.

Guess I wasn't alone in always switching the channel when this rerun came on because of the terrible intro.

Heard it was great as well(longest running show at one point yada yada) but something about the intro was like nails on a chalkboard annoying. Still does. It comes off dated, a bit depressing, way too long, and just all around obnoxious.
I still can't believe there are people with this take

I haven't even watched the show but the MASH theme is one of the most iconic intros of all time, I actually had no idea there were people that didn't like it

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
As a kid it was always on and I just didn't get it. They also showed it in the afternoons and really late at night so it also signaled that I really should be in bed so I have that memory associated with the theme song.

Out of the blue I started to watch it a few weeks ago and while I only just finished the first season and it's really damn good. The DVDs have an option to watch it without the laugh track and I highly recommend anyone watch it that way.

As for the theme song, I love it now. There is a weird nostalgia for it but after getting into the show I think it stands on its own.

I also just watched the movie for the first time and the scene where the song is featured is beautiful. The premise for why they are singing it is ridiculous but the way it was shot was stunning.

The song's lyrics were also written by Altman's 14 year old son which I find interesting.

Laugh track was eliminated from the show I think in season 3

Oct 28, 2017
Laugh track was eliminated from the show I think in season 3
They may have scaled it back but I do remember episodes with Potter and Honeycutt with a laugh track and those were post season 3 changes. I know the producers were able to compromise with the studio to have the OR scenes be laugh track free but that is as far as I'm aware of the show not airing without a laugh track in the US. I think in the UK it never had a laugh track.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

loved the book series (*ahem*), but this opening is super garbage (then again so was the show).

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched more anime openings than actual anime and I don't remember the bad ones. Know why? Because they suck!

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
They may have scaled it back but I do remember episodes with Potter and Honeycutt with a laugh track and those were post season 3 changes. I know the producers were able to compromise with the studio to have the OR scenes be laugh track free but that is as far as I'm aware of the show not airing without a laugh track in the US. I think in the UK it never had a laugh track.
I could be wrong on the season, but they did eventually remove it. Season 1 was the worst offender of the laugh track and crazy soundtrack in episodes.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I've watched more anime openings than actual anime and I don't remember the bad ones. Know why? Because they suck!
Honestly, even the garbage tier, 1/10 shows I've watched still have decent openings. Examples from Mayoiga, W'z and Glasslip:

Not to say there isn't trash out there, like Berserk 2016, or Baki the Grappler (which is not a show I've seen, but lol at this shit):

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
This is actually the one that prompted me to make this thread lol. My gf is currently watching the show (as of this very moment, actually); I saw the opening several times and just couldn't believe how bad it was. It's the second-worst to me, after The L Word.

Are you me? my friend is watching this non stop since it was put on Netflix

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, even the garbage tier, 1/10 shows I've watched still have decent openings. Examples from Mayoiga, W'z and Glasslip:

Not to say there isn't trash out there, like Berserk 2016, or Baki the Grappler (which is not a show I've seen, but lol at this shit):

Oh no, I meant I don't remember the shitty OPs. Crappy anime still have a relatively good chance of having really good OPs. This is the case since the 70s.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Girlfriends' theme feels like a parody.

This was a cool show!! ...the opening was so cheesssssy though haha
The best part is probably Reggie Hayes not dancing while everyone else is in matching blue/red outfits...
Then it got worse cuz it never changed over the years, besides some new outfits.

AND the ending (which is just an instrumental track of the opening) has the girls in such an awkward freeze frame (sorry for potato quality)

AAAAND to just keep dunking on it, then it got awkward when we lost a girlfriend and brought it down to 3.

Yeah. Fun show, probably the weakest opener (yet it comes into my mind a lot lol)

Last edited: