• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
It happens that with Xbox is just the same. We know nothing relevant about their plans.
To be fair, Microsoft has been open about what to expect in a few key areas while Sony's stance is up in the air and how they treat these areas is arguably important:

- Microsoft will put their game on PC in the future. This whole thread is a kneejerk reaction to a journalist leaking that one of Sony's biggest internal games will be releasing there. Will there be more? The whole strategy for PS on PC is completely up in the air with many games already on PC but with zero messaging. Microsoft is clear in that they are pushing for their games and Game Pass on PC.

- Xbox customers don't want VR but what is Sony's stance? We know PS VR will be supported via BC but the PS VR platform is dying at this point. Will it be refreshed with new big games, controllers and headsets or will Sony let it die?

- The Xbox Series X will play the same Xbox 360 and OG games that the Xbox One did. There is a lot of speculation and fake leaks in regards to what the PS5 will support. Sony's messaging about BC should have been more clear.

- Microsoft will be at E3. Where will Sony be and how will they communicate this year?

I'd also argue that Microsoft is openly pushing hard for Game Pass as a key point for the future while PS Now is just kind of there. Will Sony let Game Pass continue to run circles around their service?

Microsoft's console and ecosystem has fewer burning questions. They need to announce a price, games, dates, specs and secret sauces. Sony also needs to announce all of those plus more.

That said, threads like this are pointless. We have good reason to assume Sony will start talking soon and we don't need answers to everything this very moment.

Last edited:

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
To be fair, Microsoft has been open about what to expect in a few key areas while Sony's stance is up in the air and how they treat these areas is arguably important:

- Microsoft will put their game on PC in the future. This whole thread is a kneejerk reaction to a journalist leaking that one of Sony's biggest internal games will be releasing there. Will there be more? The whole strategy for PS on PC is completely up in the air with many games already on PC but with zero messaging. Microsoft is clear in that they are pushing for their games and Game Pass on PC.

- Xbox customers don't want VR but what is Sony's stance? We know PS VR will be supported via BC but the PS VR platform is dying at this point. Will it be refreshed with new big games, controllers and headsets or will Sony let it die?

- The Xbox Series X will play the same Xbox 360 and OG games that the Xbox One did. There is a lot of speculation and fake leaks in regards to what the PS5 will support. Sony's messaging about BC should have been more clear.

- Microsoft will be at E3. Where will Sony be and how will they communicate this year?

I'd also argue that Microsoft is openly pushing hard for Game Pass as a key point for the future while PS Now is just kind of there. Will Sony let Game Pass continue to run circles around their service?

Microsoft's console and ecosystem has fewer burning questions. They need to announce a price, games, dates, specs and secret sauces. Sony also needs to announce all of those plus more.

That said, threads like this are pointless. We have good reason to assume Sony will start talking soon and we don't need answers to everything this very moment.
Sorry but i disagree.

First, some of the things you mention have no relation with hardware, MS strategy is the same no matter the number of Teraflops or capabilities next generation Xbox has.

So let's see... Regarding PC, nothing official right now, so until something is announced, just like Nintendo for example, why bother? You know that you'll be able to play their games on their future systems, like always.
That strategy can change next months or in 5 years, or maybe will evolve over time. Nothing that takes anything from ps5., because the system will play Sony's games regardless.

Now VR... Are you serious? How is VR dying?? Lol. They said that they would support PSVR on PS5 so better performance for current and future VR games is just great news. What else do you want? Announce a potential PsVR2 when they still have to unveil the console? .. This also is tied with BC...
Sony has to be more clear? They announced ps4 BC, which includes VR, so if they have further plans on that, other systems, enhanced BC, just like 360BC wasn't there day one on XBO, and enhanced didn't really appear until XBX,as long as the basics are covered...no problem. You know that your current ps4 library will be playable on ps5.

E3. Lol. Sony will communicate. Unless you think that they will stealth launch ps5.
When, where, doesn't really matter: It will happen when and how they see fit. No need to be locked at a certain even, just like many phones aren't shown first at MWC and have their own events (Galaxy unpacked, Apple..)

Gamepass... Sony has currently a comercial offer, PSNow...that dropped price, included downloads some time ago and recently included first party rotating games. And they are also releasing quite a lot of first party games this year, when ps4 is about to be substituted. If anything, just like with ps3, facts are better than words: supporting your system until the very end is quite important i would say, instead of tweets and promises about the future.
So, really, we barely know anything about either platform holder new systems, maybe something more here or there, but barely relevant when you'll have the full picture unveiled.
But we can continue acting like MS has done some kind of full reveal, and Sony has said nothing at all

Last edited:

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they've been knocking it out of the park with their State of Play showings. Their lack of a keynote at E3 has also done little to stop their momentum as the PS4 had some crazy good exclusives for 2019 and has huge ones for 2020 as well. And it's inevitable that they'll have at least one big keynote this year for the Cinco, so I don't see how there's a communication problem when it's clear people are just impatient for more PS5 stuff when MS has been sprinkling the odd piece of news here and there (while also showing barely more than what was shown for the PS5).

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
what is this nonsense?

PS4 came out November 2013, but only got announced the Feburary of that year which is when the first announced games also got shown off.
We didn't even get a look at the actual console until E3.

We know far more now about the PS5 than we did PS4.

This is accurate.

People are either being purposefully obtuse or have shit memory.

PS5 and Xbox Series X have both started next gen conversations waaaay before they had compared to previous gen timeliness. PS4 had nothing until Feb 2013, Xbox even later.. compared to now, we've already seen games on both consoles, had one hardware reveal, control design on one with controller features detailed on the other, backwards compatibility raytracing and other hardware features confirmed for both etc etc.. all that before we even hit 2020.

In short, people are just impatient and release timelines aligned, no real reason for it.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Hope they announce something next week for a PS Event in February. I need sommat to look forward to.

Niaboc

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think sony have a clear vision of what they want to do. For this gen they've been happy being conservative and having a traditional walled garden of exclusive games. As gamers expectations have changed, they've been reluctantly dragged into things they don't want like crossplay.

Will they continue being conservative next gen? we don't know. They don't have a Phil Spencer kicking back with Jeff Gerstmann after E3 giving their vision for the company moving forward.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but i disagree.

First, some of the things you mention have no relation with hardware, MS strategy is the same no matter the number of Teraflops or capabilities next generation Xbox has.

So let's see... Regarding PC, nothing official right now, so until something is announced, just like Nintendo for example, why bother? You know that you'll be able to play their games on their future systems, like always.
That strategy can change next months or in 5 years, or maybe will evolve over time. Nothing that takes anything from ps5., because the system will play Sony's games regardless.

Now VR... Are you serious? How is VR dying?? Lol. They said that they would support PSVR on PS5 so better performance for current and future VR games is just great news. What else do you want? Announce a potential PsVR2 when they still have to unveil the console? .. This also is tied with BC...
Sony has to be more clear? They announced ps4 BC, which includes VR, so if they have further plans on that, other systems, enhanced BC, just like 360BC wasn't there day one on XBO, and enhanced didn't really appear until XBX,as long as the basics are covered...no problem. You know that your current ps4 library will be playable on ps5.

E3. Lol. Sony will communicate. Unless you think that they will stealth launch ps5.
When, where, doesn't really matter: It will happen when and how they see fit. No need to be locked at a certain even, just like many phones aren't shown first at MWC and have their own events (Galaxy unpacked, Apple..)

Gamepass... Sony has currently a comercial offer, PSNow...that dropped price, included downloads some time ago and recently included first party rotating games. And they are also releasing quite a lot of first party games this year, when ps4 is about to be substituted. If anything, just like with ps3, facts are better than words: supporting your system until the very end is quite important i would say, instead of tweets and promises about the future.
So, really, we barely know anything about either platform holder new systems, maybe something more here or there, but barely relevant when you'll have the full picture unveiled.
But we can continue acting like MS has done some kind of full reveal, and Sony has said nothing at all
I'm not saying Sony needs to communicate RIGHT NOW, I was just replying to a post saying we know nothing about Microsoft plans either and I disagree with that. I can with confidence say certain things Microsoft will do in the next few years while Sony's plans are more or less unknown. Microsoft has been more open about their overall strategy.

Game Pass will in 2021 deliver Xbox first party games Day 1 and high quality third party contents on a weekly basis. I have no idea how PS Now will look. Three games per month available for three months at a time does not sound competitive to me. When/what/how long will first party games be added?

There will be no VR on the Series X. Sony's talk about commitment to VR is at this point years old, pre-dating Jim Ryan's shake-up and the only reason there is even a single announced first party game for PS VR is that Ironman VR got delayed from 2019. Support for the platform is basically indies and Sony isn't taking about the future. PS VR 2 has not been confirmed in any way and Sony's future plans for the platform and VR are up in the air. I said PS VR is dying, not that VR is dying. You barely read about the PS VR platform anymore and when you do it's things like "Game X sold 80% on Quest, 15% on PC and 5% on PS VR". Sales and interest in PS VR is dying down while competitors are overtaking Sony who was once the market leader for VR. I know what Microsoft will do (nothing) but I'm clueless about Sony's plans.

Even if Sony's PC strategy is debated internally and can change, that doesn't change that Microsoft is open about theirs. Again, I know what I can expect from Microsoft in terms of PC commitment but not from Sony.

It is known which games the Series X will play. Microsoft has been clear. It will play everything that you could play on your Xbox One plus Series X games. The PS5 on the other hand will have some sort of BC which includes PS4 and PS VR but also potentially more since Sony's communication is unclear. Just check all the fake leaks about the PS5. Some claim it will support PSP and Vita games even because Sony did not specify it doesn't. So again, I know what the series X plays but not what the PS5 plays.

I think it's fine that Sony isn't talking RIGHT NOW for the record. I'm just saying we know more about Microsoft's plans.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
I think it's fine that Sony isn't talking RIGHT NOW for the record. I'm just saying we know more about Microsoft's plans...

&, to the extent that we all remember pretty well the last time microsoft had next generation console plans, & how subject to change plans in general can be, maybe we're all best off just letting these things take their natural course, & not getting too hung up on 'plans'...

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
You honestly sound like a child throwing a temper tantrum becuase you're not getting what you want exactly how you want it.

Literally be patient, it's still the first month of the year for crying out loud.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
&, to the extent that we all remember pretty well the last time microsoft had next generation console plans, & how subject to change plans in general can be, maybe we're all best off just letting these things take their natural course, & not getting too hung up on 'plans'...
Two major PR wins for the PS4 was because Microsoft went first last gen so waiting might be a good thing. Microsoft's alleged used games policy gave Sony the chance to respond with the legendary video about how to share games on PS4. Microsoft announcing the price of the Xbox One at $499 meant that Sony got standing ovations for their $399 price tag on the PS4 later that same week.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Sony is afraid at all. I think they're being very arrogant. Maybe to a fault. I guess we'll see.
Lol, I cant believe people say this shit with a serious face. Theres nothing arrogant about Sony waiting to reveal details about their next gen plans at their own pace. Christ people get some fuckin perspective and stop worrying about this shit. Dont y'all have backlogs of games or something to whittle down?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's because they are arrogant and they already abandoned console users. PS5 is basically a sticker logo you can put on your PC, that's why they only reveal the logo.

Trust me, i'm a japanese expert

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Why should they even try anymore? They just have to reveal a logo to get all the buzz and attention they could ever want. They don't give a shit anymore.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, last gen was way way worse. Both consoles were side eyed before E3. Microsoft was laughed of the room for their tv and sports box *next gen fish not included, and Sony actually showed games but they were franchise sequels that were kinda boring. Sony didn't really start pulling ahead until the always online debacle, and when we realized that their games might not feel next gen yet but they at least had them.

Less than a year from release we weren't even sure if either console could be played offline. 2012 - 2014 is certainly a dark age of gaming.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I'm not saying Sony needs to communicate RIGHT NOW, I was just replying to a post saying we know nothing about Microsoft plans either and I disagree with that. I can with confidence say certain things Microsoft will do in the next few years while Sony's plans are more or less unknown. Microsoft has been more open about their overall strategy.

Game Pass will in 2021 deliver Xbox first party games Day 1 and high quality third party contents on a weekly basis. I have no idea how PS Now will look. Three games per month available for three months at a time does not sound competitive to me. When/what/how long will first party games be added?

There will be no VR on the Series X. Sony's talk about commitment to VR is at this point years old, pre-dating Jim Ryan's shake-up and the only reason there is even a single announced first party game for PS VR is that Ironman VR got delayed from 2019. Support for the platform is basically indies and Sony isn't taking about the future. PS VR 2 has not been confirmed in any way and Sony's future plans for the platform and VR are up in the air. I said PS VR is dying, not that VR is dying. You barely read about the PS VR platform anymore and when you do it's things like "Game X sold 80% on Quest, 15% on PC and 5% on PS VR". Sales and interest in PS VR is dying down while competitors are overtaking Sony who was once the market leader for VR. I know what Microsoft will do (nothing) but I'm clueless about Sony's plans.

Even if Sony's PC strategy is debated internally and can change, that doesn't change that Microsoft is open about theirs. Again, I know what I can expect from Microsoft in terms of PC commitment but not from Sony.

It is known which games the Series X will play. Microsoft has been clear. It will play everything that you could play on your Xbox One plus Series X games. The PS5 on the other hand will have some sort of BC which includes PS4 and PS VR but also potentially more since Sony's communication is unclear. Just check all the fake leaks about the PS5. Some claim it will support PSP and Vita games even because Sony did not specify it doesn't. So again, I know what the series X plays but not what the PS5 plays.

I think it's fine that Sony isn't talking RIGHT NOW for the record. I'm just saying we know more about Microsoft's plans.
Again. Disagree. In my opinion your view is the glass it's half full for MS and half empty for Sony, but reality is both are about the same.
You can see Sony's approach: first party quality content. . MS is promises but nothing concrete atm, many adquisitions but we know close to nothing. Yes, they have their GP strategy approach, which is current gen strategy, and will obviously expand to next gen, the same as Sony with their current first party output that seems obvious that will continue for next gen. So we basically know their current approach, that will continue in the future with potential yet to be proven improvements in their respective 'lacking' areas, MS first party and Sony's subscription plans (if they consider it necessary, it may happen that is not the case yet)

VR, they released some months ago a AA game, blood and truth, they are releasing Ironman, that got delayed...oh just like Cyberpunk or TLOU2. There's never been a AAA game on VR besides RE7, maybe Half Life will be the first effort in a long time. It is a relative small market, and PSVR obviously a budget approach, especially compared to latest entries in PC hardware. They don't need to talk about it all the time, yet we're got a SoP with many games focused on VR and people complained... But PSVR is alive, and doing fine.

PC, again, it is not necessary to be on PC, but if they have a strategy, it must be a well thought plan, and needs to be communicated at the right time. And MS PC strategy is current gen, again. Nothing surprising really.

BC, Sony has been clear, ps4 and psvr bc. That is what is granted (and what it really matters for most). That is not some sort of BC. Is previous generation BC. Period. Some sort of BC is activating BC on a game by game basis. Once i considered buying XBO top play Splinter cell 360 games, but those weren't available at the time. That is unespecífic, not knowing what will be playable. So they have been clear, ps4 bc, what speculations and leaks say doesn't belong to Sony afaik.
And the next gen hardware, we know about the same, in fact i would say Sony has been a bit more concrete.
So really a wash overall.